Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't you think it's time to remove "Free" from F2P?

13»

Comments

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

I think "F2P" is misleading... In some games you can spend $150/month or more if you buy every advantage and use every boost all the time when playing. Its not possible to enjoy the games and have fun without paying.... At least not for people that feels and wants to feel they are competing all the time when playing. That type of powergamer will spend a lot...

For some people F2P is very bad and expensive. People that cant control themselves and buy and use everything that helps all the time. Games like that are certainly not free.

• alilsneakyalilsneaky Member Posts: 23

Some (few) games really do meet the f2p promise.

Super monday night combat, league of legends, world of tanks.

You can't buy power in these games and get access to all the content for free without it becoming a grind designed to make you pay. They also don't suffer from the usual f2p 'annoy to pay' mechanics (no inventory space, no fast travel and whatever other awful shit that detracts from games.

I kind of like pay as you go out of your suggestions, Sounds like the most accurate description for f2p games.

• RaggardRaggard Member Posts: 4
    As someone who has spent getting on for a year playing League of Leagends and not spent anything F2P is fine.
  • sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb
    Originally posted by Ichmen

its free in that you do not have to buy the game installer or pay a monthly fee for it. 

so in that regard it is free to play it. the item mall is just a gambler's addiction though. like slots once you start you find it hard to stop, where by you spend more per day/week/month on cash shops then you would with a monthly fee lol. 

a quality f2p title will allow you to play fully without paying a dime. others will trap you in to having to pay just to play it.  so changing the term wont work across the board.

no two f2p titles are published the same. :/

Every "Free to Play" title currently has game design elements that apply HEAVY restrictions if you do not buy something from the store as opposed to someone who does. F2P games are built around the idea of you spending something so they make money. They're a business, and they want money!

What "Quality F2P" title have you experienced that did what you're talking about? Don't say LOTRO, they don't let you experience the game "fully" without paying a dime.

Runes of Magic, when that game was first released you could get everything ingame that you needed, but once they realized where the Big Bucks were then the game changed.

• ThreeSixtyThreeSixty Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Jaedor
    I think F2P is a good acronym, and LOTRO is an excellent example of how to do it right. Never need to spend a dime all the way to cap.

Agree.  

The games are free to play.  Maybe not free to dominate, free to pwn or free to enjoy, but they are free to play.  Seems to me all the griping comes from not measuring up to some other player who is paying, not that you can't play for free at all.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    It should read "PYG" and not "PAG" for Pay as You Go. That is really a much more descriptive term then anything where is says "free". The "free" part of ANY of those game is really just a limited play game with that PYG option.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

A FTP game by any other name would cost the same.

Don't see a need to change it.  Everyone knows what it means, and that is point.....to communicate. 

I guess this is the jumbo shrimp of the gaming industry (yes that is a very bad joke)

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

..."F2P" movement

A 'movement'... that's an interesting and emotive word, most commonly used in this context to suggest some kind of 'people's revolution' or something, which I really do not htink this has been. I see it more as an industry funded sales push utilising a complient internet community of superfically 'independant' opinion forming gaming sites to sell a particular revenue model.

That's just how I see it though. 

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    The games are free to play, just how much enjoyment you get from your play experience may come at a cost.
  • strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb ..."F2P" movement

A 'movement'... that's an interesting and emotive word, most commony used in this context to suggest some kind of 'people's revolution' or something, which i really do not htink this has been. I see it more as an industry funded sales push utilising a complient internet community of superfically 'independant' opinion forming gaming sites to sell a particular revenue model.

That's just how I see it though. 

First thing that comes to mind is bran muffins and prunes.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

I voted that F2P is fine.

I actually agree that it is a little misleading, but the fact is that the exact model for income for each F2P game is a little bit different so all of those other choices are valid only for specific games too.   So what's the point in wanting to change it.

Nothing's free, but everyone knows that.  So F2P is not really misleading anyone.  And we all know wtf the real deal is....so who cares what it's called?

• BrenacusBrenacus Member Posts: 44

all of the f2p games provide you with enough useable gear to get to the endgame. maybe not enough to actually COMPLETE that endgame, or for you to play exactly how you'd like, but there it is. many times i have found you need to wait on areas you should be ready for, just because you missed a quest or two that had a weapon or some armor that you desperately need. their hope (which is what usually happens), is that you will either see others running around with nice shinies that will make you jealous n want them, or you will think 'hey, this is a free game right? so it wont hurt to spend $10 on a mount (even though you usually get a basic no-frills mount free, 'but i want the flaming turd that belches farts!'), or for a chest piece or weapon that looks cool for 'Xbucks", whatever. next thing you know you are actually spending $25-$35 a month, but just dont realize it. then months down the road you do realize how much of a tool you are for being taken by this jealousy in a 'f2p' game, blame it on the game instead of where that blame lies (yourself), and you make a forum post like this.

my word for them?         ~GOAT~

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    Originally posted by Jagarid

I voted that F2P is fine.

I actually agree that it is a little misleading, but the fact is that the exact model for income for each F2P game is a little bit different so all of those other choices are valid only for specific games too.   So what's the point in wanting to change it.

Nothing's free, but everyone knows that.  So F2P is not really misleading anyone.  And we all know wtf the real deal is....so who cares what it's called?

If you feel that you need to spend more than $15/month to have fun it will not be a very good deal. And I think calling the game F2P is misleading. Some games can be almost impossible to play without paying. The content is very limited, your character will be significantly less powerful and you will be forced to do a terrible grind if you want to improve the character at all.

Often its very bad for the player compared to P2P. But better and more profitable for the company. You will have to pay more for less. And if you are a very competitive powergamer you could be tempted to spend really crazy money... If others are spending a lot and you want to compete with them.

• WinterclawWinterclaw Member Posts: 28

Technically if you can play all of the core game without ever having to spend a dime of your own then F2P is fine.  I'd put LoL here becuause you don't need real money to unlock champions, just patience and time.

It's a little weasely, but it is accurite enough.