Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The Secret World: 'Digging Deeper' Set for August 28th

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,619MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

Funcom has announced that the second of its monthly updates for The Secret World will be released on August 28th. Called 'Digging Deeper', the update will feature new character customization options via the barbershop and plastic surgeon as well as new investigation and action missions and a new rocket launcher.

• Digging Deeper' continues the story that began with The Kingsmouth Code, and sends players back to Pastor Henry Hawthorne at the Kingsmouth Congregational to dig deeper into the town's secret history and Illuminati legacy 

• In 'Death and Axes', players learn more about Sophie's close connection with the spirit world. In Transylvania's Besieged Farmlands, the dead are restless, and Sophie is increasingly sensitive to their pain -- causing Cern some concern for her well-being, and sending players on an investigation into the terrible events that have transpired here

Read the full post on The Secret World's site.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• AdelbernAdelbern Philadelphia, PAPosts: 85Member
    Wth everyone is setting August 28th for updates.
  • SiugSiug TallinnPosts: 1,236Member Uncommon
    Just great! Hope FC has enough steam to continue with that awesome pace. Think first raid will come in September.
  • VyethVyeth Fayetteville, NCPosts: 1,459Member

wow.. Ive seen major updates planned from so many mmo's on the 28th.. Is the industry really a little scared about the success GW2 is about to bring?

Could this really be the end of P2P as we know it?

• VaporsVapors Fr.Posts: 407Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Vyeth

wow.. Ive seen major updates planned from so many mmo's on the 28th.. Is the industry really a little scared about the success GW2 is about to bring?

a little bit optimistic?

• AdelbernAdelbern Philadelphia, PAPosts: 85Member

wow.. Ive seen major updates planned from so many mmo's on the 28th.. Is the industry really a little scared about the success GW2 is about to bring?Could this really be the end of P2P as we know it?  

I was thinking the exact same thing but regardless what fc or blizzard do GW2 will break records and there is no one who can stop them.

Why? P2P games need more content too, especially brand new ones that don't have tons of content yet. FC promised monthly updates and if they do them at least for first 6 months then they can lean back a bit. Nothing wrong with P2P if game is good. Garbage MMOs, be them F2P, B2P or P2P will eventually wither off anyway.

• elockeelocke Manassas, VAPosts: 4,205Member Uncommon
    I think they are scared.  Rightfully so.  I'm sure they've had a chance to play GW2 now and I bet a bunch of devs at these other companies will be secretly playing GW2.  Just like people were secretly playing WoW when I was working at WAR.
    Originally posted by Adelbern

I was thinking the exact same thing but regardless what fc or blizzard do GW2 will break records and there is no one who can stop them.

We'll see in a couple of months. I bet on GW2 fanbois being in defence mode soon enough.

• AlotAlot BredaPosts: 1,948Member

Originally posted by elocke
    I think they are scared.  Rightfully so.  I'm sure they've had a chance to play GW2 now and I bet a bunch of devs at these other companies will be secretly playing GW2.  Just like people were secretly playing WoW when I was working at WAR.

Working at WAR, what you say!?

• VaporsVapors Fr.Posts: 407Member Uncommon

Is there anything bad on, scouting good ideas of other games? Actually its a normal step of business which is used in all areas, not only in games.

• MothanosMothanos ArnhemPosts: 1,860Member Uncommon

Funny to see all those company's fearing Anets release date of 28 august, why else try to launch your products or updates on that day :)

Cant wait to see Funcom's sub numbers at the end of the year and Blizzards wow to for that matter, maybe another 1.2 million subs down :) ?

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak HeerenveenPosts: 117Member
    I don't know if GW2 release date has anything to do with it. They promised to add new content every month, so it's not like it was unexpected.

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon

LOL  I dont think Funcom or blizzard are scared of GW2.. sure they will all take a stab at each other now and then to try and pull people away but its just marketing..

Also im sure the last pack was released on a tuesday.. maybe they just do the last tuesday of every month ?

Its good to see funcom keeping these monthly updates coming :) lets hope they keep it up.

• rpgalonrpgalon canilPosts: 430Member
    Originally posted by RagnorMalak
    I don't know if GW2 release date has anything to do with it. They promised to add new content every month, so it's not like it was unexpected.

it's just that GW2 fans think that GW2 is the center of the universe and everything has to be related to it.

for god's sake, Funcom said monthly updates, 28th August is like the second month of the game, and so, the second update.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Long Island, NYPosts: 480Member Uncommon
    Aion continued to be NCsoft's primary money maker. The angels-and-demons-themed fantasy MMORPG, which saw first release in Korea in 2008 before eventually debuting in the West in September 2009, accounted for 44 percent of the companies sales during the period, or KRW62.9 billion ($56.7 million).

Lineage and Lineage II contributed 28 percent and 20 percent, respectively, while City of Heroes/Villains, Guild Wars, and the rest provided the remaining 8 percent. The two Lineage series combined to achieve sales of nearly KRW69 billion ($62.2 million).

So much for box sales. I hope GW2 does well but if its the same playerbase as GW1 they wont be generating a whole lot of revenue from these players.

Originally posted by Alot

Working at WAR, what you say!?

Yep.  CSR.  Got laid off in the 3rd round of layoffs.  /cry  Let me just say, working in the industry isn't all that glorious and almost made me hate video games, lol.   Kind of glad I'm not there anymore, but then, there are parts I miss.  Like the SWAG and playing the game at lunchtime, lol.

Originally posted by Vapors

Is there anything bad on, scouting good ideas of other games? Actually its a normal step of business which is used in all areas, not only in games.

Yes, it's a normal step in business but it is also an issue of competition, which is good, yes and finally needed in this genre, but lets not forget which game is causing this "stepping up" from other companies.  One Game.  Just one.  That speaks volumes about GW2.  It's good all around though.  Everyone playing these games will be happy, therefore we the gamer, win/win.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Boston, MAPosts: 991Member
    I don't see mention of it but is this the patch that will contain their first raid, or is that slated for September?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by TalulaRose
    Aion continued to be NCsoft's primary money maker. The angels-and-demons-themed fantasy MMORPG, which saw first release in Korea in 2008 before eventually debuting in the West in September 2009, accounted for 44 percent of the companies sales during the period, or KRW62.9 billion ($56.7 million).

Lineage and Lineage II contributed 28 percent and 20 percent, respectively, while City of Heroes/Villains, Guild Wars, and the rest provided the remaining 8 percent. The two Lineage series combined to achieve sales of nearly KRW69 billion ($62.2 million).

So much for box sales. I hope GW2 does well but if its the same playerbase as GW1 they wont be generating a whole lot of revenue from these players.

Rofl, GW1 is an 8 year old game and all they sell in their cash shop is character slots, skill packs and few other non mandatory items.   Plus with GW2 on the horizon, anyone leaving GW1 for GW2 isn't going to spend much right now.  Plus, that quote didn't say anything about GW2 box sales.

• BlossieBlossie SydneyPosts: 8Member
    This patch was suposed to be about a majour rebuild to the character creation systems in the game , what we are getting is a minor tweek , its really disappointing , they still cant even do a height slider good grief its 2012 not 1995 .
  • necrosteinnecrostein westminster, COPosts: 80Member

GW2 is set to be one of the biggest launches in the west, this year. (longevity aside, i think we can agree on that)

In the US, launches are on tuesdays (for whatever historical reason).  Patch deployment is all over the map however, Wednesdays/ThursdayFfriday... Monday, pick one... so the 28th is clearly a strategic choice for both TSW and WoW.  It is good business sense to show customers that you have things to offer too, and give them something else to do on the day another game launches.

it is perfectly sensible for companies to want to protect against "new-girlfriend syndrome" (where your buddy dissapears for months until the novelty wears down a bit.)  they are protecting the short term interest by giving players a reason to compare the games an prevent a potentially short term loss of subscriptions due to the new-factor.

• KimikazeKimikaze KristiansandPosts: 11Member
    Originally posted by Blossie
    This patch was suposed to be about a majour rebuild to the character creation systems in the game , what we are getting is a minor tweek , its really disappointing , they still cant even do a height slider good grief its 2012 not 1995 .

They have never promised a major rebuild of the character creator, all they have promised is more options and in game character customisation.

• ValasAzuviirValasAzuviir The HaguePosts: 27Member
    Originally posted by Derpybird
    I don't see mention of it but is this the patch that will contain their first raid, or is that slated for September?

September iirc.

Also

More details will be revealed very soon -- and this is just the first of many auxiliary weapons to come! We're already working on the next one…and The Secret World should prepare for a real Texas-style massacre. Rrrrrreeeennnennennnennnnn!

Sounds like a chainsaw will be the next weapon. Might even be in the September update.

• RightlovRightlov København KPosts: 72Member

TSW has weekly maintenance (update, if one is available) every tuesday.

Since 28th August is the last tuesday that month, that's the reason.

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,278Member Uncommon
    Great game with no gold buying or p2w elements!