Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Launch Times & Game Worlds Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Guild Wars 2 blog has been updated with a pair of exciting announcements as the game nears the head start launch date. The first lays out the exact times that players will be able to access the game depending on the prepurchase option chosen. Also, the team has revealed the final list of world names for both the US and the EU.

Pre-Purchase with 3-Day Headstart: Everyone who pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 will enjoy three full days of Headstart Access. The three-day Headstart Access will officially begin at 0:00 AM Pacific time (GMT -7:00) on August 25th. However, please note that in order to ensure that we’re fully prepared for that fateful hour we may bring servers online up to 3 hours prior. If you’re a player committed to getting in first to grab that character name of your dreams you’ll want to be keeping an eye on things during that time period.

Find out more at the links above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    alright ill be staying up well past 3AM EST then.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I won't be on till Saturday evening, softball tourney all day, but.... At least by then some of the chaos will be over :-)
  • sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    I won't be on till Saturday evening, softball tourney all day, but.... At least by then some of the chaos will be over :-)

I'll be in Colorado spending some very much deserved vacation with famiy; won't get to play GW2 till September 3rd. Will take my laptop with me though to at least secure my character's names as soon as the game goes live :-)

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614
    cant wait! and it's good that ANET released the final server list more than a week before release, plenty of time for our guilds to plan 

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    Hope that we will be able to get into Underworld... Oh well, guess i will need to set up the Clock Alarm for 25th lol

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Desolation or Gandara, not sure which one yet.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Gandara for me

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Anyone know if US servers will be set by time zone?
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Nice, glad they put the server list up.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by Oberholzer
    Anyone know if US servers will be set by time zone?

I'd like to know this too.

When I took a look at "server time" vs "local time" on Blackgate server (you can switch which one is displayed in your mini-map if you like), the time was PST for Blackgate as server time (I'm EST local). I don't know if this means some servers have their own timezone, or if all US servers will be using PST as server time.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

What the hell is 0:00 AM Pacific time?  12am?   Who mixes military time with standard time?  There is no 0:00am Pacific time.

There is 0:00am military time and 12am Pacific time but not 0:00am Pacific time.

Am I right to assume they are talking about 12am Pacific time on Saturday morning?

Sooner or Later

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Do note that servers may be online up to 3 hrs early. So yea, not doing much sleeping that night. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• MilitantMilitant Member Posts: 48
    Wish they would put time zones or even better, servers physical locations on the server list so i can choose one for the best latency.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Militant
    Wish they would put time zones or even better, servers physical locations on the server list so i can choose one for the best latency.

Agreed.

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by TdogSkal

What the hell is 0:00 AM Pacific time?  12am?   Who mixes military time with standard time?  There is no 0:00am Pacific time.

There is 0:00am military time and 12am Pacific time but not 0:00am Pacific time.

Am I right to assume they are talking about 12am Pacific time on Saturday morning?

00:00 isn't "military time" it's simply 24h notation (which is commonly used in a great many countries outside North America).  In this case the AM is superfluous as it goes without saying that 00:00 is in the morning.

"Military time" uses Greenwich Mean time as a standard and also uses the 24h format.  Two different but related concepts.

Arenanet does all their times in Pacific as that's where they (and presumably their US servers) are located.  As I believe California is a daylight time state, that would put them three hours earlier than Eastern Daylight time.

You are correct however - they are saying the servers will go live no later than midnight Saturday morning in their (Pacific) timezone, but could go live as early as 9pm Friday night (Pacific timezone).  For me on the East coast that means somewhere between 12am to 3am.

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    So what time would this be for a player in the UK?
    Originally posted by jakin
    Originally posted by TdogSkal

00:00 isn't "military time" it's simply 24h notation (which is commonly used in a great many countries outside North America).  In this case the AM is superfluous as it goes without saying that 00:00 is in the morning.

"Military time" uses Greenwich Mean time as a standard and also uses the 24h format.  Two different but related concepts.

Arenanet does all their times in Pacific as that's where they (and presumably their US servers) are located.  As I believe California is a daylight time state, that would put them three hours earlier than Eastern Daylight time.

You are correct however - they are saying the servers will go live no later than midnight Saturday morning in their (Pacific) timezone, but could go live as early as 9pm Friday night (Pacific timezone).  For me on the East coast that means somewhere between 12am to 3am.

See the only time I ever say the 24h notation is in the Military, so I assumed incorrectly they were mixing the two.

Thank you for the information, it was helpful.   You do learn new things everyday.

Sooner or Later

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421
    The long wait is almost ovah!

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Looking forward to it myself. Game is good casual fun. But as it is buy to win and has not much end game I think several months of casual play then wait for expansions.
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    Looking forward to it myself. Game is good casual fun. But as it is buy to win and has not much end game I think several months of casual play then wait for expansions.

It is not buy to win, not single thing in the cash should will make you win just by having it.  Common sense and logic are clearly not your strong points.

Sooner or Later

• GeckomayhemGeckomayhem Member Posts: 9

Gutted that I have no means to purchase the game quite yet. But hopefully next year I will experience it for myself! At least it gives time to iron out any initial bugs there are likely to be; and I definitely look forward to playing it, if the opportunity does, hopefully, present itself. :)

Good luck to all who got early access. Go hard. :)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Been 7 days since launch and Im level 40 already. No tricks, just playing the game. I have not had this much fun since my EQ1 days.