Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some opinions for this system I'll make for my mmo

mushimaru00mushimaru00 Quezon CityPosts: 4Member

Specialty System:

- class specific

- same class can learn different skills because of this system

- has different aspects to each type of specialty

- has its own uniqueness per weapon of choice

example:

Warrior: melee & tank

specialties that can be learned: heavy sword, dagger, mace, hammer, one-hand sword, sword and shield, mace and shield, axe, gauntlet, katana.

Heavy Sword Skills:

Edge Slashing - increases damage of heavy sword weapons.

Forward Thrust - slash attack that pushes enemy back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The character class has its own class skills and different character non-class skills(for balance, all characters have same non-class specific skills.).

Comments

• stillwatersstillwaters sheboygan, WIPosts: 13Member
    Who are you? What type of mmo. I cant believe I am wasting my time asking you those questions. Give us information about who you are, what is your experience, and what your plan is.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 14,247Member Rare
    Play UO and try the system for yourself.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

That made no sense. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 14,247Member Rare
    Originally posted by stillwaters

That made no sense. 

He wanted input on his system. What better way is there to gather that input than testing it in a live environment? UO has what he described almost to the letter.

See: Special Moves

He can ask the players who are actually using that system what they like and don't like about it.

EDIT: mistook the replier for the OP - corrected wording.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by stillwaters

That made no sense. 

You wanted input on your system. What better way is there to gather that input than testing it in a live environment? UO has what you described almost to the letter.

See: Special Moves

I didnt want input . I was just confused by your post. I now understand thanks.

• lustbustlustbust hamilton, TXPosts: 38Member

Firstly i am going to say i hope you have a big budget if you are making a *mmo*

secondly something you might want to do to add to the class specific skills on top of the skills that everybody can learn is also add race specific skills.

mixing racial stats with class specific skills AND racial skills can add for some interesting results.With this system you will probably have better races that are better at certain classes but i think its good to allow some cookie cutter build to be integrated with your system where you can learn any skills.I find i do want flexibility and i do want uniqueness but i also want a role and to completely rule out *the trinity* from a game is not the only way to add that flexibility at all.It gives any game a good solid core foundation in more ways than just balance.

• mushimaru00mushimaru00 Quezon CityPosts: 4Member
    Originally posted by lustbust
    Firstly i am going to say i hope you have a big budget if you are making a *mmo* secondly something you might want to do to add to the class specific skills on top of the skills that everybody can learn is also add race specific skills. mixing racial stats with class specific skills AND racial skills can add for some interesting results.With this system you will probably have better races that are better at certain classes but i think its good to allow some cookie cutter build to be integrated with your system where you can learn any skills.I find i do want flexibility and i do want uniqueness but i also want a role and to completely rule out *the trinity* from a game is not the only way to add that flexibility at all.It gives any game a good solid core foundation in more ways than just balance.

thanks a lot I appreciate your info and opinion, but still I need more opinions from other developers & players alike.

This game's title is Lost Remnants of Ragnarok, is a fantasy-type mmorpg, that has 3 major factions:

Scholarians -  focusing on the side of science and technology, they arm themselves with both logic and intelligence.

Mystics - protectors of the ancients, they are capable of conjuring the most powerful ancient art: sorcery.

Valiants - mastering the art of body enhancement and chi manipulation.

features of this game:

Class Weapon Specialty System(most are active/usable): - each class has its own different specialties.(maximum of 4~5 different weapons)

Class Ability System: - can increase stat base & non-stat basis of each individual class.(all are passives only)

example: Rogue: Quickness: passively increase atkspd by 1% per level up of ability.

Character Skill System(buff & passive only): - is non-class related and is helpful to all types of classes.(can cover the weakness of your build)

example: Increased HP recovery skill: can be learned by any class including casters, Increased MP recovery skill can be learned by tankers etc.

Core Plate System: - instead of wearing the same outfit, all clothes here are costumes only!!(item mall costumes have stats)

all classes have different core plates, core plates can also increase stat and ability by having a complete core plate set

(3 parts:core, outer shell, inner shell)

stat customization + base stat growth combination system: instead of just gaining or just adding stat per level, it does both.

instance dungeon warp npc: -> can choose a variety of dungeons in one go!!(can make a custom  dungeon route for faster experience)[maximum of 5 routes per dungeon]

repetetive exp quests: also additional exp per finish of 1 quest after claiming.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm also learning on how to produce nice anime-style graphics on characters even with mid-poly(to avoid lag) if I can make it look better with better textures.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also thinking of implementing a non-role-specific class(Adventurer):

has only 3 specialties: melee, magic, range

has character skills, also has non-role-specific class skills(means the skills arent from other classes).

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,505Member Uncommon

For starters you dont need a big budget to make an MMORPG, you need programming skills, 3d art skills, texturing skills.. and so on.. If your doing it in your own time it can almost be done for free.. tho of course would take a long time.

I am not being negative when i say this, if you have none of those skills i mentioned dont even try..

Also you need to think about what game engine your going to use, what 3d tools you need to use, how are you going to create the world for the game.. networking for a massive amount of players, server hosting..

So if you have never made a game, dont expect to be making a MMORPG. You need to start small teach yourself the basics.. best place to start would probally be with the unity engine. Its free, there are tons of tutorials and plug ins for the engine, asset import is simple.

Also dont expect to to just come up with an idea an expect people to start working on it for you. Yuo need to be able to do things yourself as well..

As for your skill system idea, yeah its not bad but has also een done before as mentioned..