Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we all just finally admit that the MMO Consumers are POWERLESS in the market?

13»

Comments

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Xthos
    They listen kinda slow, people tried to make the next WoW for 6-7 years, and the development cycle for MMOs is very long 5+ years for some projects, so once something is set into motion, the market/reality can change an aweful lot, from conception, to release.

Ok, you mmorpg.com guys are 100% right, we'll go ahead and give you exactly the game you ask for.

Some time in 2018, plus or minus a couple of years.

And only if you can all get together and decide exactly what you all want, in the next 48 hours.

Go! 

What?  Ya'll still can get any two people to agree what that is?  All right, take another (how long his this site been open? eight years?) to make up your minds.  After that, give us some lead time for construction.  Let's call it 2020, 2025 to be on the safe side.

I am right...Was it ever in question?  I doubt it!

Making something that isn't WoW with a small twist isn't too much to ask imo.  WoW took the LDoN expansion and later direction of EQ and put it on steriods, they didn't just put a small twist into it, and they struck gold...I am not a fan, but enough were...  Most mmos in the last 6-7 years were WoW with a small twist, not enough for those tired of WoW to say, "Hey, I love this!"

A lot of people seem to think GW2 is the next leap....We will see.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Can we all just finally admit that the MMO Consumers are POWERLESS in the market?

lol Powerless!!!

Uhm actually no we're not. Whenever a game that's sub only loses customers we see a sudden concern for the game and it's quality. It happens all the time. It's happened to WoW, SWTOR, LOTRO, AoC etc etc the list goes on.

The problem isn't just the companies the problem is the misinformed or confused masses that jump on anything if it looks shiny enough without doing enough research to see if it has longevity or stability. When people keep paying for crap that's all we'll ever get is crap in the future unless someone takes a stand.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

I will be sure to write a letter to EA and let them know they dont need to make SWTOR F2P, we are afterall powerless and have no choice but re-sub to make it profitable again.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by rdrakken

I will be sure to write a letter to EA and let them know they dont need to make SWTOR F2P, we are afterall powerless and have no choice but re-sub to make it profitable again.

while you at it, tell them to make Warhammer Buy to Play... lets see what they do...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    the market only exists because of the consumers....you vote with your money not with your forums posts. remember that every time you buy and subscribe to any game.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    the market only exists because of the consumers....you vote with your money not with your forums posts. remember that every time you buy and subscribe to any game.

Yup.

Somehow, I don't think the makers of TOR believe MMO customers are powerless, since it was unimpressed customers, who became former customers, that sank the most expensive computer game (MMO or otherwise) of all time.

And it might be sinking EA as well, if the rumors of EA looking to get sold are true.

The power of the market (i.e. consumers) is not to be underestimated.

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

To game developer's your voice tend's to be worth almost nothing, on the other hand your wallet tend's to mean everything.

In a rare case like EaWare with SWTOR, there are exceptions to the norm.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper the market only exists because of the consumers....you vote with your money not with your forums posts. remember that every time you buy and subscribe to any game.
    Yup.

Somehow, I don't think the makers of TOR believe MMO customers are powerless, since it was unimpressed customers, who became former customers, that sank the most expensive computer game (MMO or otherwise) of all time.

And it might be sinking EA as well, if the rumors of EA looking to get sold are true.

The power of the market (i.e. consumers) is not to be underestimated.

So true. My fellow gamers are seeing the light. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. All these games seem so cool, yet I have waited on every one of them; and every single one has turned out to be a flop (no staying power). Games close, employees get fired; companies fold; the industry suffers.

Gamers have learned one important lesson. Caveot emptor. Companies serving the MMO industry should know there are no more free lunches.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    u know some games dying cuz devs listen some of their customers
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

Powerless?

You asked for lesser death penalties, now they are basically gone.

You asked for no PvP, now most games have it separate from the game.

You asked for no grind, now you are hand fed and run out of content in a month or two.

You asked things in general to be easier, now you have quest hubs with markers that you can actually follow to your quest, amongst many other things.

You asked for easier crafting, now its almost pointless in most games.

Maybe the community has too much power and needs to stop demanding and allow something new to come out on its own. Instead, you have a guy in the darkfall forums now saying he'd play if they removed loss of items on death (again, slowly wanting it to become a clone). That's just one example. It's the loud mouths on here that state as a matter of fact that there is only one way to do things.  

Stop killing our games! DEY TOOK ER GAMES!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I dont know the proper business term for it, but

just look over the past and present.

Developers get tons of money monthly, and even daily in some cases, from the MMO consumers,

Yet the MMO Consumer's voice is meaningless and powerless.

Developers hype up games, and sell boxes like nothing. no matter how much consumers try to speak out against it, they are silenced. what kind of Consumer Power is that?

With all the money, the Developers cant even add features that the Consumers ask for. Come on...

And why is it the consumers get charged a standard 15$ a month sub fee for all forms of quality?

its like Comcast/Verizon,,, their prices seem to keep going up and up and up, yet the quality stay the same,,,, but nothing the Consumer can do about it, no matter how much they cry about it.

Look at Darkfall for example. Why is this 15$ a month, aka the same Sub fee of MMO like World of Warcraft and Rift, which acutally gets content updates and full of quality.... ridiculous...

charging the MMO consumers the same price for less quality... come on... You- the MMO Consumer- are so powerless!!!

You ask for MMO that arent so WoW Like, yet what they keep giving you? lol You voice is powerless and meaningless!!!

Just accept this reality!! nothing you do/say will change the mindset of Developers that only see things their way and no other way. Developer's Ego has more power than you... You money doesnt say a damn thing, because look at the current genre!!!

lol Powerless!!!

Don't like something, don't pay for it. Why all the drama...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!