It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
...it was completely free, no cash shop, no subscription fee, no box price on anything EVER for the duration of the game's life. Instead, it made you watch a commercial every hour.
WAIT! I know you're wrinkling your nose at the idea, bare with me a sec.
Game is completely free. Every hour, you get a 1 minute warning that a commercial is about to start, giving you the ability to get to safety so you're not in the heat of battle when you exit it. While you're in it, you're invulnerable. Commercial is the typical you'd find on TV, 30 - 90 seconds. You also get a button with the notification to "start now" if you're already somewhere safe and don't want to wait for it to roll.
Because the game is completely free (and hopefully, good) more people play. The more people that play, the more views advertisers get, the more money the developers and publishers make, removing the necessity to charge the players for anything at all.
1. Game and all content is forever free, duh.
2. Developers and Publishers will get probably more money than they would ever get from players, and because they're seeking ad revenue, are inspired to create better content to keep players coming and staying with them.
3. One commercial an hour is nothing when you think about it, you probably sit through 6+ per commercial break while watching TV.
4. Convenient bathroom/coffee/chip break every hour.
1. Commercials are annoying. No getting around it.
2. Potential to be abused, with commercial break alotted times rising over time.
3. Sort of an immersion-breaker.
4. No control over what kind of commercials play, could be Summer's Eve for all you know.
I was mulling over this idea and to be honest, I can't come to a solid decision on whether I'd be for this or not. It's an option, and a potentially great one, but the ability to abuse the system would worry me. Very VERY few companies have inspired enough trust in me that I'd have confidence in their ability to implement this system without ruining the play experience.
What do you guys think?
"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."