Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: F2P Version Officially Launches

Comments

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by William12

If you don't read anything in this thread read this :)  Vanguard is not for you if

1. You wanna solo end game content

2. You want 1 button crafting.

3. You want things given to you without earning them.

4. You enjoy soloing over grouping.

5. You like theme park rail driven content and your hand held from 1 to max level (rift, gw2, etc)

6. I can keep going but this list is enough.

Vanguard IS for you if

1. You like massive dungeons from start to finish just google vanguard dungeons and count them all.

2. You like the social grouping aspect of MMOs.

3. You like complex crafting.

4. You like to explore and find new areas that barely anyone has ever been to.

5. You like housing.

6. You like a challenge and like to accomplish things in a group setting with friends or strangers.

7. NON instanced content from start to finish the world is open you see it you can go there.  The dungeons are part of the world they're not instanced.

If Vanguard is for you great play it and love it if not play something else and most of all have fun.

This guy gets it...

And one more thing to mention is that it has a real death penalty... none of this "dying just to port back to the quest hub" after lvl 10 you will lose XP and have to get your corpse.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    Originally posted by finnmacool1

If you don't read anything in this thread read this :)  Vanguard is not for you if

5. You like theme park rail driven content and your hand held from 1 to max level (rift, gw2, etc)

Vanguard IS for you if

1. You like massive dungeons from start to finish just google vanguard dungeons and count them all.

5. You like housing.

6. You like a challenge and like to accomplish things in a group setting with friends or strangers.

7. NON instanced content from start to finish the world is open you see it you can go there.  The dungeons are part of the world they're not instanced.

If Vanguard is for you great play it and love it if not play something else and most of all have fun.

Sorry but both lists are inaccurate.

Cash shop allows you to get things without "earning" them.

Its very much on rails with rifts that direct you from quest hub to quest hub.

Most classes can solo just fine to 50.

Most the vg dungeons are far from "massive".

Housing is currently off limits for ftli players.

The challenge is no greater than eq1,eq2,wow,etc.

if you think VG even comes close to the on rails system rift has you never played either game.  Also there are massive dungeons no one ever said everyone of them was massive.  You have obviously never seen the cash shop if you think it has even decent items to buy.  Most classes can solo to 50 given time sure but level cap is 55 again showing you havent played the game.  You obviously havent played EQ1 2 or WOW in recent years all 3 are insanlely easy mode.  Vanguard is more EQ classic hard if you don't know what that means please move along.

Mindless drivel. If you think vg is a good game thats fine. Most the things you bullet pointed for and against the game are nonsense.

vg is not nor has it ever been or pretended to be anywhere near "eq classic hard". I have in fact played eq 1 and eq2 in recent years and they are on par with vg "difficulty". Please stop this ridiculous nonsense that vg is hard.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    yeah honestly i have a station pass and comparing the two between EQ2 and Vanguard I think EQ2 is far better , and better for free to play toons to even though you cant use the broker system. The only thing i think vanguard has going for it now after playing it for the last month is the world is gorgous . EQ2 has an awesome AA system mercs for soloers and pretty vast dungeons far larger then vanguard ones. I personally do not think EQ2 is worth a sub fee either but after extensively playing both of them for the last month I just find EQ2 all around a better game as it just offers way more bang for your buck so to speak. I used to be on board with vanguard but i just find it really truely lacking except the open world department. Im just sticking to EQ2 until GW2 releases.
  • f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

Vanguard IS for you if

5. You like housing.

if you think VG even comes close to the on rails system rift has you never played either game.  Also there are massive dungeons no one ever said everyone of them was massive.  You have obviously never seen the cash shop if you think it has even decent items to buy.  Most classes can solo to 50 given time sure but level cap is 55 again showing you havent played the game.  You obviously havent played EQ1 2 or WOW in recent years all 3 are insanlely easy mode.  Vanguard is more EQ classic hard if you don't know what that means please move along.

Mindless drivel. If you think vg is a good game thats fine. Most the things you bullet pointed for and against the game are nonsense.

vg is not nor has it ever been or pretended to be anywhere near "eq classic hard". I have in fact played eq 1 and eq2 in recent years and they are on par with vg "difficulty". Please stop this ridiculous nonsense that vg is hard.

VG isn't "hard". But it is still more a time sink then you're giving it credit for. Saying that EQ2 is on the same level as Vanguard in difficulty proves that you haven't played either game to an extent. When you get past level 52 in VG then come back here and tell us if your opinion has changed. I can guarantee you'll be singing a different toon.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Vanguard IS for you if

5. You like housing.

13 years and 12 accounts 30 max level characters in EQ and todays EQ is 100000 times easier then VG. 

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    SoE F2P is not free enough. Unless they move to a model like GW2 I wont try it. 15 bucks a month for all content is still a rip off in today market. 

Maybe when you lack content like GW2 does :)  Vanguard is HUGE easily 30 dungeons in the game between level 8 and 55 maybe more.   Vanguard was truly the last MMO made that tried to make an epic world of this scale rift, swtor, gw2, tsw, tera all of them lack even a fraction of the size vanguard had at launch.   

Also the F2P isn't very restrictive you can wear almost all blue items and any quest reward you get.   If you decide to sub its only 7.50 a month if you pay yearly which is the best option in my opinion or its 14.99 a year if you get station access and have access to all SOE games.  Also with any sub you get 500 station cash free per month.

gw2 doesnt lack content

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Lol their list of free vs paid sub makes me laugh. It's not even worth playing free you're so limited, and VG is easily my favorite MMO to date. All SoE cares about are those dollar signs. It's more profitable for them to make it seem like they're doing something big with VG and be able to reap some income from it than it is for them to burry the game all together. Same reason they hang a carrot from a stick with EQII.
    Isaiah 41:10
    Originally posted by f0dell54

Vanguard IS for you if

5. You like housing.

VG isn't "hard". But it is still more a time sink then you're giving it credit for. Saying that EQ2 is on the same level as Vanguard in difficulty proves that you haven't played either game to an extent. When you get past level 52 in VG then come back here and tell us if your opinion has changed. I can guarantee you'll be singing a different toon.

54 disc so im well aware of the leveling speed and game difficulty 51-55 thanks. time sinks do not indicate difficulty.

Sorry still singing the same tune(or toon if you prefer).

• powercondompowercondom Member Posts: 1

Vanguard went already August 8th F2P.  I canceld my download. 

outaded graphics

strange sounds

huge seamless, but empty world 

same 'chop me 1088 wood to get uber-epic-torch' quest system

heavy restrictions (only 'common items' race and class limitations, market limitations etc)

---

this is not my cup of tea

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Redonkulous limitations for free players...... ill stick to other F2P games.

kthxbye

• VermilioNomyVermilioNomy Member Posts: 32
    Was watching the trailer you posted but the game seems too old for me, not really a fan of the graphics.
  • PheniePhenie Member UncommonPosts: 14

I was a long time Vanguard player, absolutely loved it. But this move was way too late and timed terribly, and that trailer was not done well at all.

Seems to me they have their most inexperienced group of people working on this game now, and that is nothing but a dissapointment to me - Vanguard was an incredibly underrated game in its time and one that brought me countless hours of joy.

• nirvanetnirvanet Member UncommonPosts: 95

So many people talked about Vanguard as a perfect crafting game.

Maybe the perfect time to try !

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by f0dell54

Vanguard IS for you if

5. You like housing.

54 disc so im well aware of the leveling speed and game difficulty 51-55 thanks. time sinks do not indicate difficulty.

Sorry still singing the same tune(or toon if you prefer).

Please enlighten the world on what "difficulty" means in a mmo. If it isn't time sink then what is it because I have been playing mmo's since 97' and have yet to experience anything that actually acquires skill. All mmo's are time sinks and are all fuckin' easy. Therefore, the one that takes the longest becomes more difficult then the ones that require less time. [mod edit]

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

SO I wanted something free to play while I wait for GW2.

Last week I tried the soft launch of Vanguard FTP and it didn't hit any of the right notes. This is a game where you NEED the restricted gear or else it's far too hard, it's more about the numbers than your skill and those numbers are completely against ftp players. Storage space was lacking as well.

Having a silver account for EQ2 though has drawn me in, once you get enough gold for large bags or strong boxes you have a MASSIVE amount of storage space between your house, bank, broker and across 4 characters. Legendary and fabled restriction is a slight pain in the ass but isn't totally game breaking at all, you can compete in endgame AND PvP without them (I've done it). Sure, it's still about the numbers but those numbers arn't totally against FTP players.. having legendary and fabled equipment is more like a 'bonus' rather than a requirement. It's only for equipment as well, as in it doesn't apply to legendary/fabled bags, strongboxes, furniture etc. Plus, free players can play the dungeons other players have made with the Age of Discovery dungeon maker for free.

Sorry Vanguard, the idea of your massive world and old school gameplay is great but is completely overshadowed by the restrictions. The restrictions and your game just don't work well together at all.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    Originally posted by powercondom

outaded graphics

strange sounds

heavy restrictions (only 'common items' race and class limitations, market limitations etc)

---

Maybe you should actually jump in the game and look at the graphics, yes they are old but imo hardly outdated, 

Strange sounds? all i hear is ambient and combat sounds or sounds from diplomacy e.t.c, nothing strange, everything working as intended there, 

Huge seamles empty world, Huge seamless world = correct, empty? not entirely, 6 months ago yes and i suppose it is a tad bit now but it is HUGE this is to be expected, 

Chop 1088 wood to get uber torch quest ? am yet to do any quest that requires that but yes they do have your typical linear quest but you also have to remember this game came out in what 2005? i may be wrong there but yeah it is an older game where this was the norm, not sur ewhy you expected differently, even newer games like GW2 and what ever else has relesed recently are exactly the same just blamketed differently.

The restrictions are not that bad, you can wear all gear that is quest based and most blues that get dropped, the only stuff you really miss out on are the epics drops e.t.c, it does not ruin the gameplay at all, atleast you still have access to the entire world that is Telon not like some other F2P models that make you pay just to play content.

I would have prefered to have had it completely free like Aion but meh it is a good enough system for me. The game is awesome, plenty of activity going on in game and the best part is, because it has a bit of difficulty about it we wont need to worry too much with the Leet kids that want there shit given to them when they want it, i say bring back the old school and let some of us that want to play a true MMORPG where we need to actually associate and co-operate with other players to get through tthe content and have fun and a living breathing world.

This is one of the few games where i can say the World actually feels genuine, it feels as tho everything is exactly where it should be if it were a real world.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    SoE F2P is not free enough. Unless they move to a model like GW2 I wont try it. 15 bucks a month for all content is still a rip off in today market. 

Maybe when you lack content like GW2 does :)  Vanguard is HUGE easily 30 dungeons in the game between level 8 and 55 maybe more.   Vanguard was truly the last MMO made that tried to make an epic world of this scale rift, swtor, gw2, tsw, tera all of them lack even a fraction of the size vanguard had at launch.   

Also the F2P isn't very restrictive you can wear almost all blue items and any quest reward you get.   If you decide to sub its only 7.50 a month if you pay yearly which is the best option in my opinion or its 14.99 a year if you get station access and have access to all SOE games.  Also with any sub you get 500 station cash free per month.

GW2 has 8 dungeons with 3 different paths you can take, so its really 24 at launch and the promis of much more to come. I am not worried about a lack of content. I only play 1 MMO at a time so 15 bucks a month is still a rip off. If it was a flat fee of 4-7 bucks a month I would jump at playing Vanguard as I love the world and the classes but I refuse to play 15 bucks a month and I wont shell out for a year for any MMO, even one I am enjoying curently. To many quality MMOs coming out that have a much more appealing price point. GW2, NWN. People using a game like GW2 with a cash shop spend on average about 4-7 bucks a month. For me thats a fair price.

Meh, 50 cents a day is not a  ripoff. Don't drink a Mountain Dew or skip a candy bar. If you start subbing several games at one time like that guy with 40 WoW accounts multiboxing,  then I can see it being a problem! :) 

Vanguard is a true mmorpg in my mind. It is clunky, but it has some superior features that not even EQ2 has. Now, if they can shake the blankets and get rid of some of the bugs it has a chance! Yay!

Its called market value, I am willing to spend 50cents on a candy bar or a can of pop as thats what its worth. My point is the market value for monthly subs is changing.  DDO and GW1 has proved they can make lots of money and make enough content to make customers happy with a average of 4-7 bucks a month from customers.

I have been playing GW2 and its as quality as an MMO can get. I am having bucks of fun in PvE and WvW. So why would I jump ship to play an older game and pay more? Market value of Vanguard is F2P but not as SoE has it set up. Make it really free to play or charge 4-6 bucks a month.

I really enjoyed Vanguard in its day and I am not here trying to turn people from this game to go play GW2. My point is this. If ANet can make money on their game with an average of 4-7 bucks a month with a cash shop. Then why is SoE giving Vanguard a 7 year old game a bad make over. Their F2P model for Vanguard is so restrictive IMO its not worth playing. In the end if you love the game you will be paying 15 bucks a month. Is that a bad thing? IMO yes. Why? Because quality games are coming out that are really F2P.

Lets put it this way. Since you said I should not buy Mountain Dew because its 50cents. What if Mountain Dew is your fav pop but a company came out with a drink that tasted just like Mountain Dew but costs 25 cents and gave you PvP? Its not that 50cents costs a lot but its no longer the market value. Many are seeing 15 bucks a month as a rip off because we have been playing beta weekend events with GW2. After the box price it really is F2P. I leave you with this question. Whats a 7 year old game worth in this market? For me? I would resub to Vanguard for 4-6 bucks a month. I think thats fair.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by nirvanet

So many people talked about Vanguard as a perfect crafting game.

Maybe the perfect time to try !

Its not. You walk around till you find a metal node, mine it. Then you go to a forge, click boxes over and over and try not to run out of 'action points' till you get something. I found it very grindy. SWG and EVE are still far better crafting MMOs.

Originally posted by charlizd
    Originally posted by powercondom

outaded graphics

strange sounds

---

Maybe you should actually jump in the game and look at the graphics, yes they are old but imo hardly outdated, 

Strange sounds? all i hear is ambient and combat sounds or sounds from diplomacy e.t.c, nothing strange, everything working as intended there, 

Huge seamles empty world, Huge seamless world = correct, empty? not entirely, 6 months ago yes and i suppose it is a tad bit now but it is HUGE this is to be expected, 

Chop 1088 wood to get uber torch quest ? am yet to do any quest that requires that but yes they do have your typical linear quest but you also have to remember this game came out in what 2005? i may be wrong there but yeah it is an older game where this was the norm, not sur ewhy you expected differently, even newer games like GW2 and what ever else has relesed recently are exactly the same just blamketed differently.

The restrictions are not that bad, you can wear all gear that is quest based and most blues that get dropped, the only stuff you really miss out on are the epics drops e.t.c, it does not ruin the gameplay at all, atleast you still have access to the entire world that is Telon not like some other F2P models that make you pay just to play content.

I would have prefered to have had it completely free like Aion but meh it is a good enough system for me. The game is awesome, plenty of activity going on in game and the best part is, because it has a bit of difficulty about it we wont need to worry too much with the Leet kids that want there shit given to them when they want it, i say bring back the old school and let some of us that want to play a true MMORPG where we need to actually associate and co-operate with other players to get through tthe content and have fun and a living breathing world.

This is one of the few games where i can say the World actually feels genuine, it feels as tho everything is exactly where it should be if it were a real world.

You do not get to use all quest rewards as ftli in any sphere.

every chunk has 4 seams, so no not seamless. There are no zones and only apw is sharded but there are tons of "seams" and you notice it when you cross them.

• gw1228gw1228 Member UncommonPosts: 127

Wrong you can't loot all quest rewards you get they have to be under the F2P model or you have to unlock them for a price of 250 sony station cash per unlock....

• gw1228gw1228 Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by Amjoco

GW2 has 8 dungeons with 3 different paths you can take, so its really 24 at launch and the promis of much more to come. I am not worried about a lack of content. I only play 1 MMO at a time so 15 bucks a month is still a rip off. If it was a flat fee of 4-7 bucks a month I would jump at playing Vanguard as I love the world and the classes but I refuse to play 15 bucks a month and I wont shell out for a year for any MMO, even one I am enjoying curently. To many quality MMOs coming out that have a much more appealing price point. GW2, NWN. People using a game like GW2 with a cash shop spend on average about 4-7 bucks a month. For me thats a fair price.

Meh, 50 cents a day is not a  ripoff. Don't drink a Mountain Dew or skip a candy bar. If you start subbing several games at one time like that guy with 40 WoW accounts multiboxing,  then I can see it being a problem! :) 

Vanguard is a true mmorpg in my mind. It is clunky, but it has some superior features that not even EQ2 has. Now, if they can shake the blankets and get rid of some of the bugs it has a chance! Yay!

Its called market value, I am willing to spend 50cents on a candy bar or a can of pop as thats what its worth. My point is the market value for monthly subs is changing.  DDO and GW1 has proved they can make lots of money and make enough content to make customers happy with a average of 4-7 bucks a month from customers.

I have been playing GW2 and its as quality as an MMO can get. I am having bucks of fun in PvE and WvW. So why would I jump ship to play an older game and pay more? Market value of Vanguard is F2P but not as SoE has it set up. Make it really free to play or charge 4-6 bucks a month.

I really enjoyed Vanguard in its day and I am not here trying to turn people from this game to go play GW2. My point is this. If ANet can make money on their game with an average of 4-7 bucks a month with a cash shop. Then why is SoE giving Vanguard a 7 year old game a bad make over. Their F2P model for Vanguard is so restrictive IMO its not worth playing. In the end if you love the game you will be paying 15 bucks a month. Is that a bad thing? IMO yes. Why? Because quality games are coming out that are really F2P.

Lets put it this way. Since you said I should not buy Mountain Dew because its 50cents. What if Mountain Dew is your fav pop but a company came out with a drink that tasted just like Mountain Dew but costs 25 cents and gave you PvP? Its not that 50cents costs a lot but its no longer the market value. Many are seeing 15 bucks a month as a rip off because we have been playing beta weekend events with GW2. After the box price it really is F2P. I leave you with this question. Whats a 7 year old game worth in this market? For me? I would resub to Vanguard for 4-6 bucks a month. I think thats fair.

You saved me some typing because you typed exactly what I wanted to say....What Vanguard needs is a Silver Membership that cuts the 15.00 in half or lower....even with all the content Vanguard is not worth 15.00 of my money per month no way no how....sorry Hardcore Vanguard players it's just NOT.

7.00 per month to Vanguard is fair...netflix is 7.99 per month and it has 1000% more value than Vanguard does to me and my family....SOE at it again..in all honestly this is an experiment for them and we are the lab rats...well this rat isn't going to bite.'

• IsisutraIsisutra Member UncommonPosts: 3

I think he hit the nail on the head. Launch was horrible. I don't know if it was my suck ass computer or the intertubes or their servers? It was probably a combination of them all. I loved the game, and stuck with it. Then, one day, as a healer; there was no one to group with. Oh, one may solo in this game, but it is akin to old-school EQ soloing... Not easy.

I went back about a year ago, and it still seemed empty, but I bought a house. Might as well go DL again, because SWTOR is not doing it for me.

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247

I was going to give Vanguard a shot; being an Everquest fan I thought it would be good option when they decided to open all EQII servers to free-to-play players. Then they announced Vanguard would do the same.

Oh well. I guess SOE doesn't want my subscription money. I can't fault them, they make more off a "free to play" player, but this is one more trend toward filling MMORPGs with players who really don't care about the game world or think they should respect other players and their desire for an immersive experience.

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• GismolandGismoland Member UncommonPosts: 79

Vanguard has been around for so long it's better of shutting down and making a NEW MMO, it's beta was a flop it's just as bad as SWTOR since release.. I guess when you hire ppl that don't listen to the ppl you gonna end up with nothing. GW2 does listen you can plainly see that in GW1 and now with the GW2 at the end of the week *25th NA time and 26th AUS time*. Sony Entertainments desprite attempts to get ppl to come back is gonna blow over, till they come out with a EverQuest Re-Modeled I will not go anywhere near SoE.

• LizanteLizante Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    As for what I think about VG going f2p... maybe it's a good thing. Time will tell. The only reason I do not play it... the only reason... is because of who owns Vanguard. I will not do business with SOE. They did not handle last year's Data Thefts well imo and other issues in the past.

Now if Vanguard wasn't owned by SOE than I would be all over it. VG has a lot of features and even if it's an older game it was and is a good one for those that appreciate a full feature style of MMORPG.

I guess that's Vanguard's defining quality imo... it's an actual MMORPG. Few "mmos" can claim that now.

Good Luck Vanguard:Saga of Heros.

This.

I did the entire Vanguard Closed Beta -- yep, through the Sigil/Microsoft/SOE drama -- and when SOE picked up the Sigil/Vanguard scraps off the floor, I quit.

I haven't played anything SOE since the SWG fiasco.  Nor do I plan to.  Ever.

That said, Vanguard: Saga of Heros is a great old school, classic MMORPG and I wish Vanguard nothing but the best.