Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 music is below expectations.

AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Guild Wars 2 Main theme

Is any one else a little underwhelmed by the music of Guild Wars 2? I haven't been listening to it much until recently. How ever once I did. Some one used one word to describe it as 'forgettable' and I'm inclined to agree.

As the example above. It started out good until 10 seconds in where it became a jumbled mess. It seems like they wanted to make an epic track, but got carried away and added more noise to assault your ears with. It's like mixing all these awesome colours together, only to end up with brown. Rather than keeping it simple and progressively flowing like for example.

Could be perhaps that I prefer strings over horn in orchestral pieces. We all have our musical preferences. How ever, I'm just wondering if any one feels the same or explain how the music appeals to you.

Comments

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274
    I'm not a huge fan of the theme myself, in part because I rather dislike horns as well, but in general I like GW2's music. It is Jeremy Soule, after all.
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Well.. this thread is proof that everyone will have different tastes.

Not sure you're going to find many people agreeing with your opinion on the music here. I for one think the music is one of the best features of this game (and I'm not that impressed with the actual gameplay).

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I think the music is great in the game. It's one of my favorite parts.
  • otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Guild Wars 2 Main theme

Is any one else a little underwhelmed by the music of Guild Wars 2?

No

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    I love the music in GW2. However, if you don't like it, I believe that the game has a built in music player. Which I plan to use since I preffer something a little upbeat when I PvP.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by Denambren

Well.. this thread is proof that everyone will have different tastes.

Yes, sadly. Amazing music slaps you in the face and you think its underwhelming???

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Here is the entire playlist on Youtube for those that want to listen to more than the title screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAOe-WNiQLY&feature=BFa&list=SPEEE67656836AE1B1

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I have to disagree about the Main Theme sounding jumbled. This is coming from a musicians perspective though, I don't even find it to be that layered. Everyone hears things differently though, just throwing my 2c in. For me it sounds pleasant and well arranged, not cluttered, but not simplistic either.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Totally right , Sir. Making right now a thread about how unappealing Eric Flannum,s shoes are.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

it's one of my favorite mmorpg soundtracks so far. I think they captured the intended mood perfectly in game. The title track is great too imo, but by no means my favorite of what I;ve heard so far in the game.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Fendel84M
    I have to disagree about the Main Theme sounding jumbled. This is coming from a musicians perspective though, I don't even find it to be that layered. Everyone hears things differently though, just throwing my 2c in. For me it sounds pleasant and well arranged, not cluttered, but not simplistic either.

I feel like it's blasting a horn in my ear over the top of the rest of the music.

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by TGSOL
    I'm not a huge fan of the theme myself, in part because I rather dislike horns as well, but in general I like GW2's music. It is Jeremy Soule, after all.

Same thing here. I like the music so far and Jeremy Soule rocks!

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Music is the first thing I turn off in every game I play.
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

The music is appealing to me because I am reasonably familiar with GW1 music. He pays homage to the original theme and builds on top of it. 

I can hear the original theme underlying the new stuff. 

GW1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--rxf-28YlQ

Those first 11-12 notes are iconic. I personally found WoWs in-game music more forgettable because it never really made me pay attention to it.

For me WoW music is the trailer music. 'Arthas, My Son' brings a tear to the eye because of the story I remember. 

Having said that my absolute favorite piece of GW2 music is this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YzWlxbg34Y&feature=related

I can almost hear the struggle and heartbreak. (Break the loop whenever you want to :P)

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265
    I agree it's nothing special. I actually muted it and played with the wow cataclysm soundtrack.
  • JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

For me personally, I prefer the GW2 music from your top link to the WoW music which linked as well.  

That being said, I think both games have incredible music.  I played WoW for 4 to 5 years and in all that time never turned off in game music (crazy, I know...but I liked it that much.)   Right now I am saying I preferred the GW2 music you lnked, but some of that might simply be that I haven't been listening to it for 4 to 5 years already. ;-)    Either way, I think both are masterful sound tracks, just not the same as one another.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I'm one of the few who's never been a fan of Jeremy Soule.

I first got frustrated with his music during Icewind Dale.

I think his music is of very high quality in producdtion, but I think he's an extremely Drab and Boring composer.  His music is generally always dull and mundane. Forgettable.

And... he's monopolozing the gaming industry these days.  So its pretty difficult, ny impossible to get away from him.

I still think that Age of Conan reigns supreme on soundtrack for an MMORPG.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Guild Wars 2 Main theme

Is any one else a little underwhelmed by the music of Guild Wars 2? I haven't been listening to it much until recently. How ever once I did. Some one used one word to describe it as 'forgettable' and I'm inclined to agree.

As the example above. It started out good until 10 seconds in where it became a jumbled mess. It seems like they wanted to make an epic track, but got carried away and added more noise to assault your ears with. It's like mixing all these awesome colours together, only to end up with brown. Rather than keeping it simple and progressively flowing like for example.

Could be perhaps that I prefer strings over horn in orchestral pieces. We all have our musical preferences. How ever, I'm just wondering if any one feels the same or explain how the music appeals to you.

Are you screwing with me?! You actually think that the music of WoW's 3rd expac is better than that of Jerry Soule?  That's just blowing smoke out a tail pipe! There's no way.  He not only did GW1 and GW2, he also did Skyrim.

Guild Wars 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkhvw4OU45s&list=UU3gKvwrynj9uLGR3WFU29IA&index=4&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl3RQyIjwp0&list=UU3gKvwrynj9uLGR3WFU29IA&index=3&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ze7znnAmo (Sylvari theme, really good music here)

Skyrim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVVXNDv8rY0  (How is that NOT epic?! That's the most memorable song of the last year.)

So ya,....that WoW stuff is JUNK compared to Jermey Soule's music.  JUNK!

Originally posted by Siphaed

Guild Wars 2 Main theme

Are you screwing with me?! You actually think that the music of WoW's 3rd expac is better than that of Jerry Soule?  That's just blowing smoke out a tail pipe! There's no way.  He not only did GW1 and GW2, he also did Skyrim.

Guild Wars 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkhvw4OU45s&list=UU3gKvwrynj9uLGR3WFU29IA&index=4&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl3RQyIjwp0&list=UU3gKvwrynj9uLGR3WFU29IA&index=3&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ze7znnAmo (Sylvari theme, really good music here)

Skyrim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVVXNDv8rY0  (How is that NOT epic?! That's the most memorable song of the last year.)

So ya,....that WoW stuff is JUNK compared to Jermey Soule's music.  JUNK!

Soule's Skyrim song is fantastic.

But it was made under the direct influence of Todd Howard.  Howard told him what he wanted specifically. 

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I think his music is of very high quality in producdtion, but I think he's an extremely Drab and Boring composer.  His music is generally always dull and mundane. Forgettable.

And... he's monopolozing the gaming industry these days.  So its pretty difficult, ny impossible to get away from him.

Skyrim theme would like to speak to you.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Well first of all, Skyrim isn't an MMORPG.

I love the Skyrim Theme.

Secondly, as I just said, Soule made the Skyrim theme in the vision that Todd Howard brought TO him.  Its stated in a video dev diary for Skyrim somewhere.

And.... furthermore, the rest of Skyrim's soundtrack is... get this. Dull and forgettable.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

EVE Online.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The only song that caught me off guard the first few times I heard it was the Human theme song. It sounds like it was cut down from a really nice 10 minute song. Feels disjointed when you listen to it.
  • cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

i would hardly call his work  dull or mundane.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Originally posted by cloud8521

i would hardly call his work  dull or mundane.

I think the issue some people have with it that makes them call it dull and forgettable is that a lot of his music in games is designed to add atmosphere and mood without actually distracting you from the game itself.  Which means you don't necessarily even notice the music unless you intentionally try to pay attention to it.  

That is, however, the whole point of a sound track (in both movies and games), so it means he's doing a good job.   Some people want to really notice the music, however, so they might call it dull and forgettable because of that.   Just my theory on it.