Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 out 5 people polled on this site feel TSW is the best mmo of the past 7 years.

1235»

Comments

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by shockleym

17% would be closer to 1 out of 6. That's 1 out of 6 TSW forums... is this supposed to make it look great?

Somone needs to change their name to TSWBully

Well it's up to 18.5%. 

I think you deserve a PR Spin Award; not in my entire life have I seen someone take such a damning number and spin it into the most inane positive "truth" they could come up with.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

17% would be closer to 1 out of 6. That's 1 out of 6 TSW forums... is this supposed to make it look great?

Well it's up to 18.5%. 

So are you saying that 81.5% of the people who respond to polls about the quality of TSW on the TSW forums of MMORPG.com think that there have been better MMOs released since WoW?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Well it's up to 18.5%. 

Where will you be if/when this game tanks?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well of  course numbers do not mean a single thing because ALL that matters is to each individual.Does it give some sort of overall view of player satisfaction?Well i guess it does to those who have played it,but how do we know some have not gone in and just give it a 10/10?

Also of those numbers how many know anything about game design to warrant  rating a game "best of" ??

I will be honest ,i have not played it and only go on videos i have watched.I find the whole design is a nice one that could lead the game to being VERY good,but without playing idk.

As for the combat,i have not seen any videos showing me a good combat design but again ,not playing makes it VERY hard to pass judgement.I do read a LOT of forums and get a feel for the TSW player base,so far i have not got a lot of indiciation of too much descriptive detail about the game.

IF i had to rate the game based on just the videos i have seen and all the other games that i have actually played,it could very well be the best since Wow.However since Wow i have not seen one really good complete game,SWTOR has come the closest but failed extremely badly in combat  and crafting design.I think in all honesty,TSW "presents" the game a little different,i would find it hard to beleive it matches the scope and size of SWTOR.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

i'm with you here. as was pointed out in the other thread.  if the same poll had been done for SWTOR or WAR 1 month after release they may have gotten much higher numbers.  for all i know WAR after 1 month would have gotten 90% saying it was the best game ever released.. maybe not.

in any case.. i'm not sure it speaks highly of the game that 1 in 5 says this.

at best i think that this data shows absolutely nothing.

at worste it doesn't speak favorable of TSW that 4/5 voted against it while just outside of the 1 month window.

anyways, useless data is useless.. not sure anyone at all would take this data seriously.  kind of makes me feel like the OP has some sort of other agenda because i'm a little in denial even he would think this was meaningful data.

Subjective question on the opinion of a mmorpg.

Think about it, on that list for that time period of 7 years is there another game that nearly 20% of the people polled would say is the best? I don't think so. Make a poll for that game if you do.

think about it, many of us have stated, as have i in the very post you quote.

you would need a time machine to go back to the first month of those game's lifetimes to do a poll in the manner you did for TSW.  that or you would have to go forward in time a year and re-poll TSW and then compare the data.

that is the part you are conveniently ignoring, and it is the most important part.  SWTOR is temporally distant from its release, as are the other games you refer to.  TSW is not.  

this is the single most important factor in this entire discussion and it is the one you are glossing over.

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424

i'm with you here. as was pointed out in the other thread.  if the same poll had been done for SWTOR or WAR 1 month after release they may have gotten much higher numbers.  for all i know WAR after 1 month would have gotten 90% saying it was the best game ever released.. maybe not.

in any case.. i'm not sure it speaks highly of the game that 1 in 5 says this.

at best i think that this data shows absolutely nothing.

at worste it doesn't speak favorable of TSW that 4/5 voted against it while just outside of the 1 month window.

anyways, useless data is useless.. not sure anyone at all would take this data seriously.  kind of makes me feel like the OP has some sort of other agenda because i'm a little in denial even he would think this was meaningful data.

Subjective question on the opinion of a mmorpg.

Think about it, on that list for that time period of 7 years is there another game that nearly 20% of the people polled would say is the best? I don't think so. Make a poll for that game if you do.

think about it, many of us have stated, as have i in the very post you quote.

you would need a time machine to go back to the first month of those game's lifetimes to do a poll in the manner you did for TSW.  that or you would have to go forward in time a year and re-poll TSW and then compare the data.

that is the part you are conveniently ignoring, and it is the most important part.  SWTOR is temporally distant from its release, as are the other games you refer to.  TSW is not.  

this is the single most important factor in this entire discussion and it is the one you are glossing over.

As I said before he has to be the most incredible spin doctor out there. The scary part is I am beginning to think he may even believe what he is saying.image

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    Originally posted by Theocritus
        Its funny how some people on this site have such a boner for this game...It isn't a very good game....As soon as GW2 is released this game will disappear into MMO oblivion just like Tera has recently......Its too bad...This game had great potential, but thats all it ever was.

i dont think so, alot of people are sick of Fantasy. i have a feeling that GW2 and TSW are going to be the top 2. also they arent contenders because they aim at a different demographic. TSW aims at people who seek a challenge which involves them planning their attack, with a modern day setting. GW2 aims at people with decent reflexes who wish to remain in the fantasy world.

sorry to tell ya but TSW is going no where.

Maybe top two games on this website. TSW will never contend with most off AAA MMOs as far as player count. That isn't a bad thing, just the truth. SWTOR still has more subs that TSW does. WoW has 3-4 million EU/NA subs. LoTRO has over 500k playing still. Hell, AoC has more or equal the amount of players playing it as TSW does. GW2 sold over 1 million pre-purchase. TSW will be a good niche MMO once all the bugs are worked out and ONLY IF they add much much more content. As of now, I still considered it a co-op play experience, not enough to engage one into "MMO" territory.

PS I personally, and many other, still love an excellent fantasy story. If someone is sick of fantasy, fantasy probably isnt for them. If its a bad story, like Dungeon Seige 3 was, then yes I wouldn't want to play it. But if it is good fantasy that creates a living world (JRR Tolkien is the king of this, seeing that he created the elvish language and after The Hobbit (with its ties to certain Britishisms), Middle Earth is its own place, completely.) then hell, that can keep me immersed for years. I still go back to The Exile (or Avernum) games by Spiderweb Software, because the world is its own. The Guild Wars world is much its own, too, especially in GW2 where we now can even interact with many of the interesting races, instead of just fighting them. Games like TSW, although having great story, will never immerse someone like me for years, because its too much like real life (and i already know enough about that.). And I'm sure there are many many others with the same view as me on this matter.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

50 people said TSW is the best MMO ever..................wow, that must be true then

Probably those are the ones still playing it...........

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/360200/Since-2005-till-today-on-this-list-is-there-a-MMORPG-better-than-TSW.html

As the poll taken yesterday shows. 17% of MMMORPG.com users fell that TSW is the best game since WoW.  This is nothing to sneeze at.  

MMORPG.com User rating (500 ratings) of 8.7

Metacritic User rating (1000 ratings) of 8.4  

Low 1st month sales of TSW screams marketing issue. The game is without question solid, some people believe it's the best mmorpg since WoW. 

Bottom line is, If you are on the fence, odds are you wont be dissapointed. TSW might even be the best mmo you've played since WoW.

Why does a game need to compete with other games?

How does a game, even if its the greatest of all time, appeal to all audiences? (ie. your final statement)

What if a person doesn't like the survival horror genre (this number is very large, btw)?

What if I am a mother/father who wants to play with their children? (blowjobs in opening cut scenes are as bad as pointless swearing in movies, imo, it makes the entire game/movie worse.)

Basically, I don't see anyway you can make these all sweeping statements with good conscience bcbully. If someone wants to play an MMO with their children DO NOT BUY TSW. It is adult themed and you can not avoid this (unlike games like WoW who disguise the adult humor intelligently, like cartoons, Animaniacs as 1 example---a good example from WoW is Sons of Hodir). If you are one of many who doesn't like horror or survival horror games (my wife HATES horror movies and games. I love them, but if I were to recommend a game to her, i wouldn't recommend TSW). There are many games touted "ONE OF THE BEST GAMES OF ALL TIME" that I think suck balls, and would rather not touch, just because others say its great doesn't mean this is so. And what is your deal with trying to shove this game down peoples throat and keeping comparing it to other games? Firstly, I wouldn't compare it to any previous MMO, because that only brings out the bad traits in the game (elitist endgame, many many stagnant quests, mobs littering the landscape at an unnatural level, a linear storyline), itd be better to compare it to its main genre: survival horror. Secondly, TSW does not lend itself to comparing with any other games very well, it would be best to just say its strengths and weaknesses and let people decide for themselves.

And on a closing note: I shared this OP with my cabal...all of us played for the first month, finished all content, and have quit until more content comes out....and...well...most of them weren't as nice to you as I am being here. To put some of their comments nicely, this thread was 1) unneccesary 2) unwittingly obsessive 3) insulting to the very people you are trying to convince and 4) in such bad taste there just are nice words for it.

EDIT: pardon the lateness of this post. I was at work all day and choose not to post on the forum from my cellphone.

• Spartan212Spartan212 Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Easy.  He'll be making threads about how TSW going FTP is a good thing for Funcom.  Kinda like the SWTOR fans are doing now

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Spartan212
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Easy.  He'll be making threads about how TSW going FTP is a good thing for Funcom.  Kinda like the SWTOR fans are doing now

If TSW was B2P I might have bought it.  Eventually people will use B2P if they're smart.  Subs only seem to work exceptionally well for companies named Blizzard.

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Presbytier

As I said before he has to be the most incredible spin doctor out there. The scary part is I am beginning to think he may even believe what he is saying.image

Ever heard of Baghdad Bob?

OP reminds me of him

"I TAKE U TO THE AIRPORT! IN ONE HOUR!"

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by ste2000

50 people said TSW is the best MMO ever..................wow, that must be true then

Probably those are the ones still playing it...........

Well played, sir, well played

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    You really dont need a thread for the poll and a thread for the results, keep it all in one thread.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.