Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DUST 514: CCP Secures $20M in New Funding

Comments

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I don't expect a big overlap of either, but that wasn't what he was talking about. He said the player community interested in EVE lore. Another genre and another platform of gamers means the introduction of the EVE universe and its lore to an entire new subset of gamers that more than likely never even heard of EVE before, let alone played it.

The PS3 market is packed with FPS, Dust will be another of them with an unknown IP

If CCP would have merged EvE and Dust, they would have doubled the subscription.............they just lost a chance

I can't find fault with that logic. I've been waiting for an excuse to get into EVE this late in the game, this could have been it.

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I could not care less if they made the game for me or not.I will still keep playing EvE and I won't play Dust 512, so to me it won't change anything.What I was saying is that making an FPS game with an unknown IP for a market which is already saturated with FPSs is a bad commercial move, particularly if your IP is well known in the PC platform.Nothing to do with my needs.I don't see many PS3 players flocking to play Dust 512, that's all I am saying.I hope I am wrong because I like CCP, but I am sure I am right.I am generally good with predictions

I did not mean you in particular, I highlighted train of thoughts that apparently quite a few people have, at least on these boards and this thread.

EVE is probably known among MMO gamers but I doubt the target audience - FPS gamers, ever heard of it. And as Loktofeit pointed out, the point isn't to exploit the IP name but expand it, which PS3 gamers will do.

PC FPS market isn't saturated? Do not forget that while Dust is still "only" FPS game, it is done very differently from anything on console market.

Then the thing still is that console market is way bigger, development easier and cheaper with much better prospect for profit.

Console platform was not a bad move at all, it was very reasonable.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Velocinox
    Without a PC release it's just $20 million down the crapper.

Pretty much.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by Trionicus
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I don't expect a big overlap of either, but that wasn't what he was talking about. He said the player community interested in EVE lore. Another genre and another platform of gamers means the introduction of the EVE universe and its lore to an entire new subset of gamers that more than likely never even heard of EVE before, let alone played it.

The PS3 market is packed with FPS, Dust will be another of them with an unknown IP

If CCP would have merged EvE and Dust, they would have doubled the subscription.............they just lost a chance

I can't find fault with that logic. I've been waiting for an excuse to get into EVE this late in the game, this could have been it.

no excuse needed.  just do research for a couple hours, start playing and you will be amazed how fast you are capable of doing all the big boy stuff in the eve universe.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• limpbiz411limpbiz411 Member CommonPosts: 8
    Got my Ps3 sitting right here ready for action, while i laugh at all the QQing lol.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Man you guys really hammer this dont you? Its a fps title for ps3. whats the problem?

Gamplay has little or nothing to do with what eve is offering, 

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Hyperion5182Hyperion5182 Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Dreamion

It's farily easy to understand why they are releasing it on the PS3, they want the console market, and its less of a hassle since the game will work on every unit.

There's still a chance that they will release a PC version eventually, they just want everything set up first, good anti-cheat system and every other problem coming with a PC release.

If you dont like using a controller, fine, DUST allows M&KB, just plug in it with USB.

It makes me a little sad that they are releasing it on the PS3 and not on the PC, sure the M&KB will make things ALOT better since I will never play an FPS on a console game otherwise, it's also sad because not everyone of your friends or, your corp in EVE got a ps3.

With PS2 coming along (which looks great btw), it will be hard for CCP to release DUST on the PC, but the EVE-DUST link is such an interesting, unique thing, I have somwhat respect for it.

The Anti cheat may be the biggest thing to me. Because lets face it. Cheating is perfectly legal in EVE online. Its been done for the longest time and they've never truly cracked down on it. One of the reasons i gave the game up were the Macro mining of 20 pilots at once, the clear farming to help isk sellers, and the russian control of the mineral market making unprofitable to really mine anything.

CCP is incorporating a new aspect into a universe that is quite frankly anything goes. If hacks can be made for this game they'll get used in a heartbeat given how eve works.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    I really don't think this game is going to do very well on the PS3.
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Making Dust console only is a bad move. Good luck getting console kids and the mature PC Eve online community to work well. Once released the call for a Pc version will ring in the ears of CCP. Not to mention the PS3 hardware is dated and crap compared to the Pc tech now. The loading times on DVD drive and HDD are just slow compared to Pc.

Originally posted by IAmMMO

Good luck getting console kids and the mature PC Eve online community to work well.

The co-operation between EVE players and Dust players isn't essential for either game. It is just optional and either game can perform just fine without any interaction at all.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

On the upside it will not, unlike Planetside 2, be marred by hacks. Look at Planetside, and every other competitive PC shooter title, and you know how much of an issue client side hacks is. Taking into account the nature of the eve community and the supposed importance the fights in DUST will have for eve, you know why they chose to not make a PC version.

Not making a version for XBox 360 is a bit more the issue, but thier PS3 exclusive deal seems to give them quite nice support from Sony, so that might explain a lot.

Originally posted by hfzttNot making a version for XBox 360 is a bit more the issue, but thier PS3 exclusive deal seems to give them quite nice support from Sony, so that might explain a lot.

It is no PS3 exclusivity deal, it is just that CCP could not come to an agreement with MS, most likely due technicalities related to link between EVE and Dust.

Xbox Live is closed network and MS won't allow anyone in, or out in a matter of fact.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Rohn

Since it's not a PC title, I just can't get interested in this game.  I'm sure as hell not buying a PS3 for it.

It looks ok, but I'll play PS2 or Defiance instead.

Yes, biggest misstake ever not to have a PC version.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA
    I really don't think this game is going to do very well on the PS3.

Well, believe it or not CCP are tying Dust 514 directly into EVE gameplay, i.e. they can take over areas of the EVE universe and farm resources and what not. 

We also know that CCP games have ploughed many millions into Dust 514 now, and they badly need to release it in 2012 and for it to do well.

So, how do you think CCP will get good buisness from Dust given that the FPS genre is so saturated with games, including many that are PC-based (Dust is PS3 with Vita app). It's a no brainer tie it into EVE so that to be at the top in EVE you will need to have a DUST team (and PS3s). 

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

CCP totally misunderstood their fanbase (again) by targeting so-called non-Eve players on the PS3. 

Um, hello?  This is Eve, there are people who would sell their grandmother if it meant they had an advantage in game.  Assuming that most Eve players wouldn't want to play is basically throwing guaranteed money in the crapper.

The way MMOs are tanking left and right and being faced with the choice of trying for a totally new audience exclusively on one platform or getting tons of cash straight up from existing fans, they chose the former.  I really think they stepped in it this time. (yet again)

Edit- and this doesn't even assume the competition they will have from Planetside 2...

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

Originally posted by Drevar

being faced with the choice of trying for a totally new audience exclusively on one platform or getting tons of cash straight up from existing fans, they chose the former.  I really think they stepped in it this time. (yet again)

EVE has around 360k subscribers. Let's be generous and say that 30% of them are playing in 0.0. That makes it 120k. How many of those own PS3 and will be interested in FPS?

I see no prospect for "tons of cash" you talk about.

Rather than CCP "stepping in" you type faster than you think...

Dust uses a  microtransaction purchase model (cash shop). Now let's suppose that they get 50 000-100 000 players loging in per month to PSN and playing the game. Now let's say each player spends on average 10 dollars per month at the cash shop. Then you are talking $500 000 - 1 000 000 bucks per month. These numbers will generate money for CCP games. They just need to get EVE players to play, and by tieing the game directly into the EVE universe they have a hook for these gamers. Now,  you can see where we are headed here in how CCP games hopes to make money.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Rohn
    Originally posted by Bl4ck3nD
    Why not release on both platforms?

I agree.  The "they don't want to split their playerbase" is pure garbage.

EvE IS their playerbase.  It's the game that financed DUST 514.  Unless he or she already owns a PS3, an EvE player will not be able to play the game.  That's CCP taking a shit on their existing fanbase, plain and simple.

image especially since i read somewhere that dust is being linked into the eve universe.

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#PC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#PlayStation_3

seriously, why the fuzz about some niche gaming plattform? :)
    is CCP hoping to invent a new market, or what's that "only PS3" plan about?

if you wanna make real money, go for PC. if you do a serious shooter.... well, do i need to say it? :)

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• ZzadistZzadist Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by Gdemami

I could not care less if they made the game for me or not.

I will still keep playing EvE and I won't play Dust 512, so to me it won't change anything.

What I was saying is that making an FPS game with an unknown IP for a market which is already saturated with FPSs is a bad commercial move, particularly if your IP is well known in the PC platform.

Nothing to do with my needs.

I don't see many PS3 players flocking to play Dust 512, that's all I am saying.

I hope I am wrong because I like CCP, but I am sure I am right.

I am generally good with predictions

I did not mean you in particular, I highlighted train of thoughts that apparently quite a few people have, at least on these boards and this thread.

EVE is probably known among MMO gamers but I doubt the target audience - FPS gamers, ever heard of it. And as Loktofeit pointed out, the point isn't to exploit the IP name but expand it, which PS3 gamers will do.

PC FPS market isn't saturated? Do not forget that while Dust is still "only" FPS game, it is done very differently from anything on console market.

Then the thing still is that console market is way bigger, development easier and cheaper with much better prospect for profit.

Console platform was not a bad move at all, it was very reasonable.

Agreed.

All the PC gamers Elites are sounding off. Blah blah blah. Screw CCP. Wah wah. PS3 only sucks. True. I could possibly see a PC release. But xbox live does not support the free to play model. Because you pay for it. Microsoft doesn't openly support the free to play game model. Which I'm sure all the bellyachers forgot. This is going to be a MMOFPS that is free to play. No monthly subscript. No online fees to pay to get access. Its going to be high octane action for FPS who dont have to pay for multiplayer passes or a monthly subscription.

And what do EVE players care? You don't get your big ships. This game isn't targetted for you guys anyways CCP is already taking your money with EVE. They want the FPS market. The CoD and BF3 fans. The halo fans. Everyone with a PS3 can play. All PS3s can handle the game. No need to buy video cards or RAM or such and so forth.  Stop bitching like someone cares what you think. If you don't have a PS3. Then tbh. CCP doesn't care about your thoughts. 

90% of the EVE community who may have wanted to play Dust but don't have a PS3 are just gonna deal with it, Hope for a PC release and keep playing EVE. All this whining and moaning is redundant intitlement craving greedy gamers thinking CCP owes them something. the 300,000-400,000 rabid EVE fans will make sure you're itsy bitsy opinion doesn't matter. 

Don't have a PS3? Not going to buy one for this game? News Flash: You're not the targetted audience.

:)

[mod edit]

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Do PS3 owners even care about this title?  No offense to CCP, but I think this is going to flop hard.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• nagawaranagawara Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Drevar

The way MMOs are tanking left and right and being faced with the choice of trying for a totally new audience exclusively on one platform

ccp wanted to dust514 to unite both xbox players and ps3 players but guess what ? microsoft didnt want that so the ychoosed t ogo with sony

Originally posted by Roin
    Do PS3 owners even care about this title?  No offense to CCP, but I think this is going to flop hard.

You're missing the point. CCP Games are trying to get EVE players to play Dust. To make money they have to get them to splash out in the Dust cash shop. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Roin
    Do PS3 owners even care about this title?

seems like they care

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/03/27/dust-514-five-things-we-learned-at-eve-online-fan-fest/

I have never played an MMO and yet I’m going to be doing a lot of talking about DUST 514, a major collaboration between CCP Games and PlayStation to bring the first free-to-play console MMOFPS exclusively to PS3. Therefore, I took a trip to Iceland to attend the EVE Online Fanfest and start to get to know this fervent online community that PlayStation fans will soon be joining in New Eden and, of course, get the latest news on DUST 514.

The Future

It’s clear that, when DUST 514 launches fully, it will be the start of a seemingly endless project for the developer. Even at this early stage they offered a glimpse of what they have planned for the future, including giant mechs called MTACs (OPSM even managed to grab a picture); support for eSports and the ability to watch matches in EVE Online and bet on the outcome; and the possibility of extending the action to ‘non-temperate planets’, where fire, gas and other elements may necessitate the use of vehicles.

Perhaps the biggest statement of intent of the weekend was when CCP Games CEO Hilmar Pétursson declared their intent to make the EVE Online / DUST 514 universe the biggest gaming environment in the world. It’s certainly going to be one to watch over the coming years and, perhaps best of all for PS3 owners, it needn’t ever cost you a thing to experience.