Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bonus time

Comments

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Serin101
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by wildclaw
    Originally posted by Nailzzz
         Actually OP, I completely agree with your position. I also find some of these item shop buff items a litle disconcerting. the only reason i havent really pressed the issue much myself is that given the cost vs. buff time length, it doesnt seem very worthwhile and i suspect the vast majority of the players will simply ignore these items except as an occasional drop or in game reward/chest drop rather than actually purchasing them from the gem shop. Im hoping such an outcome would self-correct the issue voluntarily from the players side. But we will just have to wait and see how it plays out.

I am hoping that as well. But those four items really do give me a bad taste in the mouth.

Read through the thread and it might taste a bit more like icecream.

No it tastes like %hit dieing to a guy with 8% hp wondering if he was using a str. buff.

Only problem is that these buffs can't be used in PvP.

Would you be upset if they can be? 

But they can't, so it's irrelevent. The buffs that can be used in PvP, from food and such, are freely available in the game and do not require any cash shop purchase.

Even then I think they are removing that from SPvP, a friend of mine tried to use a piece of Eda's Apple Pie (which gives a flat +20 power) before entering a sPvP server in today's stress test and when he entered the match the buff was removed.

That would make sense. sPvP is all about being on equal footing. That's why everyone gets the same armor, gets buffed to 80 and given all of the skills and traits.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Even then I think they are removing that from SPvP, a friend of mine tried to use a piece of Eda's Apple Pie (which gives a flat +20 power) before entering a sPvP server in today's stress test and when he entered the match the buff was removed.

EDIT: and also bcbully has a tendency to ignore answers to his questions even when they pretty much basically answer, the guy just trolls for the sake of trolling, not to bother improving the state of the game. Its sad really.

As a pvpr getting those buffs out of the game is a good thing. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

But they can't, so it's irrelevent. The buffs that can be used in PvP, from food and such, are freely available in the game and do not require any cash shop purchase.

This image would tend to suggest that they can be used in PvP (well WvW anyway).

http://i.imgur.com/VW3yr.jpg

This isn't my screenshot, but comes from a similar thread on another site.  Visit that thread here if you are interested,

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/48244-worries-about-pay2win-tendencies/

Even if they can be used in WvW, they are pretty meaningless. 1 person doing +10% damage is not going to change anything and the fact is that food gives better buffs anyway and does not require any cash shop purchases.

Moreover, the RNG associated with acquiring these buffs make them pretty much irrelevent. There is no way to predict which buff you're going to get from the chest.

There really is no issue here, except for people who simply must find something to complain about.

This image would tend to suggest that they can be used in PvP (well WvW anyway).

This isn't my screenshot, but comes from a similar thread on another site.  Visit that thread here if you are interested,

Even if they can be used in WvW, they are pretty meaningless. 1 person doing +10% damage is not going to change anything and the fact is that food gives better buffs anyway and does not require any cash shop purchases.

Moreover, the RNG associated with acquiring these buffs make them pretty much irrelevent. There is no way to predict which buff you're going to get from the chest.

There really is no issue here, except for people who simply must find something to complain about.

No heartless all beefs aside. This is bad. 10% dmg, 10% dmg reduction alone are enough to make an encounter very uneven. Add in the 25% speed, the encounter is completely unfair. 

Plus the food buffs stack with the mystic chest buff.

No heartless all beefs aside. This is bad. 10% dmg, 10% dmg reduction alone are enough to make an encounter very uneven. Add in the 23% speed, the encounter is completely unfair. 

Bully, food gives better buffs and does not require any cash shop purchase.

Mystic chest stuff is also randomized, so there is really no way to predict which buff you're going to get. It's hot or miss. You can open 3 chests and get 1 str buff and 2 speed buffs or you can get 3 speed buffs. Food gives you the best bang for your buck.

The only place these buffs would matter is in sPvP, where one player can change the outcome of the battle. In WvW, with hundreds of players running around, 1 person with 10% str or damage reduction is meaningless.

No heartless all beefs aside. This is bad. 10% dmg, 10% dmg reduction alone are enough to make an encounter very uneven. Add in the 23% speed, the encounter is completely unfair. 

The chest buffs stack with the food buffs. Also form what I've seen nothing in the form of food amounts to 10% of anything.

Mystic chest stuff is also randomized, so there is really no way to predict which buff you're going to get. It's hot or miss. You can open 3 chests and get 1 str buff and 2 speed buffs or you can get 3 speed buffs. Food gives you the best bang for your buck.

The only place these buffs would matter is in sPvP, where one player can change the outcome of the battle. In WvW, with hundreds of players running around, 1 person with 10% str or damage reduction is meaningless.

There will be entire guildS with these buffs. 

No, there will not be. They would literally need to throw thousands of dollars into the cash shop in order to accomplish this. WTF in their right mind would do that?

Edit: and you know what? Even if someone is crazy enough to outfit their guild with the hundreds of mystic keys from the cash shop, and their guild winds up dominating WvW, servers get rotated every 2 weeks and get matched up with similarly skilled servers, so it's not an issue anyway.

• Serin101Serin101 Member Posts: 103

No, there will not be. They would literally need to throw thousands of dollars into the cash shop in order to accomplish this. WTF in their right mind would do that?

On another note, some of the ingredients are only available through the PvE NPCs that can sometimes be hidden and there are a limited number of vendors for particular ingredients (and purchasable with only karma) for a lot of the higher level ones.  So you'll have to spend some time in PvE in order to gain access to  these ingredients. 

These guys.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/30356-pvp-sponsored-pvp-guild/

Last year I spent $1317 on cash prizes and sponsoring for guildmates in Dragon Nest.

My budget for Guild Wars 2 is $1000.

You are welcome to take an interview on our public vent, mayshing.typefrag.com :: 42751
    Or my skype: TheSteamedRice
    Or on Xfire: Phenoca

Our website is: http://mayshing.wiki...com/recruitment

Our only membership-requirement is that you have suitable activeness, a respectable gaming-background, and the ability to communicate on a team. At this stage of recruitment, this is translated as 6+ hours/day (40+hr/week), top 0.5% of any ranked eSports game, and practicing online PvP with your guildmates prior to the launch of GW2.

Condescendingly,
    MapleSyrup

Originally posted by Serin101

On another note, some of the ingredients are only available through the PvE NPCs that can sometimes be hidden and there are a limited number of vendors for particular ingredients (and purchasable with only karma) for a lot of the higher level ones.  So you'll have to spend some time in PvE in order to gain access to  these ingredients. 

You get karma in WvW too. Not sure if these vendors are present in WvW zones though.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

If this is true, I am going to be unhappy about it. I remember people saying that this wasn't true like a month or so ago.

I can't find his mouse cursor no matter how long I stare at that pic. Can someoen point it out to me (through reference)?

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

No heartless all beefs aside. This is bad. 10% dmg, 10% dmg reduction alone are enough to make an encounter very uneven. Add in the 25% speed, the encounter is completely unfair. 

First off, they can't be used in PvP. I tried. It didn't work.

Secondly, 10% damage is nowhere near as relevant as you think.

That is like saying that someone who specs +5% damage from traits and has the +5% damage sigil on his weapon has an advantage over someone who doesn't have those 2... Guess what, that is BS. While I agree that damage has a significant role, this game isn't about standing still and exchanging swings till one of you falls over. If you are doing that, you are probably doing it wrong.

So not only is the 10% not as unbalancing as you are making it seem, but it is irrelevant for PvP, and who cares if someone else does more damage in PvE? Guess what, no damage meters...

Originally posted by Mors-Subita

That is like saying that someone who specs +5% damage from traits and has the +5% damage sigil on his weapon has an advantage over someone who doesn't have those 2... Guess what, that is BS. While I agree that damage has a significant role, this game isn't about standing still and exchanging swings till one of you falls over. If you are doing that, you are probably doing it wrong.

So not only is the 10% not as unbalancing as you are making it seem, but it is irrelevant for PvP, and who cares if someone else does more damage in PvE? Guess what, no damage meters...

I'll save you the time of reading the thread.

So you used one of those buffs that come from chests in WvW and it didn't work?

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221

You know what is most forgotten about this topic?

The fact you can trade in-game gold for gems to buy Mystic Keys.

The fact that Mystic Keys are available in more ways then buying them.

The fact that you have to get chests.

These guys.

Last year I spent $1317 on cash prizes and sponsoring for guildmates in Dragon Nest.

You are welcome to take an interview on our public vent, mayshing.typefrag.com :: 42751

Our only membership-requirement is that you have suitable activeness, a respectable gaming-background, and the ability to communicate on a team. At this stage of recruitment, this is translated as 6+ hours/day (40+hr/week), top 0.5% of any ranked eSports game, and practicing online PvP with your guildmates prior to the launch of GW2.

Condescendingly,
    MapleSyrup

They are not going to make a difference. Besides $1000 is not enough to outfit a significant enough amount of people with enough mystic chests to maintain constant buffs. Besides, it looks like $1000 is budgeted for prizes not for mystic chest buffs.

These guys.

Condescendingly,
    MapleSyrup

They are not going to make a difference. Besides $1000 is not enough to outfit a significant enough amount of people with enough mystic chests to maintain constant buffs. Besides, it looks like $1000 is budgeted for prizes not for mystic chest buffs.

OK man.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Denambren Kind of sickening to see so many players convincing themselves that paying real money for in-game advantages is OK if it isn't that much of an advantage. The corporations have you people trained well.   As the years go by, the gaming population will continue to be educated by corporate marketing strategies on what is acceptable and not acceptable, pushing the limit a little further with each clever marketing milestone that actually catches on with the public.    I feel quite discouraged by all the readers of this post who will slap their foreheads and genuinely think I'm stupid for not understanding that GW2 is NOT PAY TO WIN, and give an emotional response to defend what they've been conditioned to believe. The fact of the matter (and not opinion) is that GW2 allows players to get an in-game advantage by paying money. You can spin it off as a trivial advantage and keep telling yourself over and over how little the advantage is until you feel it's no advantage at all, but the game lets you pay for an advantage. If you can't see that, then you're walking the path that game marketing has cleverly laid out for you. You're the ripe crop of the gamer world for corporate exploitation.   I'm not innocent myself,  because I've pre-purchased Guild Wars 2. I want this game to be fun and I want it to succeed. I won't be spending any money on in-game advantage items, but I may spend money on vanity items like character outfits. However, the fact of the matter is that I'm supporting a game that has in-game advantage items when I made my purchase of the GW2 box. And I know it. And every time we support one of these games, then another batch of games will keep trying their own spin on a similar pricing model, pushing what can be bought and can't be bought just a little further.   Many of us can see the darkness on the horizon that approaches with F2P models. The future of online gaming is changing rapidly, and the concept of a game universe where everyone is born equal is fading further and further into obscurity with each passing month. GW2 has a shadow cast over it, and while the shadow seems like little more than a passing cloud, it's still a shadow. If you can't see this shadow and feel that everything is a fine sunny day, then congratulations. You're helping pave the road for the future generation of wallet warriors by justifying this kind of pricing model.
    Sad.

Whats sad is cosmetic and fluff is considered perfectly fine for a cash shop item while we get stuck with craptastic crafting systems that could've benefited from players being able to create said fluff.

So the battle is already half won. Crafting gets curb stomped for cash shop vanity items. And now we are talking ourselves into p2w one baby step at a time.

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221

Yaknow, one person getting a 10% buff to anything isn't really going to do much while the RNG component plus lasting for just one hour isn't going to make it useful for a guild. It's not like they are gods that will destoy you just cause they got 10% less damage or 10% more damage. As for speed I have to see a complete comparison myself.

Thats 3 extra damage in a 300-damage autoattack. Yes it adds up but chances are you'd get killed by one more autoattack if they didn't have that buff if they attacked you one hundred times and you stood still taking all of them.

You can also get the buffs yourself, really. Go get a chest, drop some gold for gems without having to pay $$ or even better find a mystic key yourself by doing quests or as loot.

Originally posted by Oracle_Fefe

You can also get the buffs yourself, really. Go get a chest, drop some gold for gems without having to pay $$ or even better find a mystic key yourself by doing quests or as loot.

But then he would have nothing to complain about.

I think 10% is a lot and should be removed from WvW. I don't mind it in PvE, but in WvW, I don't like it.

A 10% overall damage increase, in my opinion, is a huge bonus. Especially if combined with a 10% reduction in overall damage taken. I wish more fans would get up and be outraged to be honest. Do they stack with other buffs?

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

umm if people would stop whining about every game that releases should be free to play and not a monthly sub then we wouldnt be in this mess would we? Guild wars 2 listened to its fans just like they did in GW1 . I dislike the cashshop in guild wars 2 myself because of the mystic chests but my reasons are different , I think it exploits a gamers addiction to always wanting to know whats in the chest and then rationalizing spending the money for it. But this is all these cash shop chests and boxes , they are no different then legalized gamblng in my eyes exploiting the same addictions for wanting to have better and more of.

Want to stop cash shops in games? stop telling every game out there to go free to play. I dislike the secret world but the one thing you will not see me say is go free to play , didnt like it for swtor either . Keep em pay to play remove the cash shops and fix the broken games is my thing. Companys go free to play because we are weak minded human beings that will spend money on pixels and fluff. Maybe not you or me but there is tons that will or it wouldnt be in games.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

The image he shows there shows the actual applied buff, not sure if it is worded the same way on the consumable before it is applied.

The other thread there are some people who say it works, some people who say it doesn't work... And a lot of people who explain the same thing I did, that even if it did work, it doesn't matter because the buff is actually miniscule in the larger picture. I stopped scanning through 5 or 6 pages in.

Nothing you said addressed any of the points I raised. How about you address what I said, rather than trying to hijack it off in a different direction.

Originally posted by colddog04

I think 10% is a lot and should be removed from WvW. I don't mind it in PvE, but in WvW, I don't like it.

A 10% overall damage increase, in my opinion, is a huge bonus. Especially if combined with a 10% reduction in overall damage taken. I wish more fans would get up and be outraged to be honest. Do they stack with other buffs?

Yes.