Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW 2 Gaming or whining?

2»

Comments

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Originally posted by DaezAster
    Graphics are fine to me. The more you put in graphically the more computer you need so it's all a trade off. In my experience so far the game looks and runs great, minus the last stress test that is. 

This may actually turn out to be an issue for them. One of the big reasons WoW was so successful is that it ran on very low end machines. GW2 takes a mid grade machine to be playable at decent settings. I think that a lot of the non traditional PC players who only play WoW on the PC and play the rest of their games on a console will be upset when this doesn't perform like WoW did. With the economy the way it is, upgrading is probably not an option for a lot of those people.

• Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
    • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or better
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI Radeon™ X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (256MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
    • 25 GB available HDD space
    • Broadband Internet connection
    • Keyboard and mouse
    these are official min requirements this is a pretty low end gaming system today.

Sure, but it isn't honestly playable at that level in a form that would satisfactory for most people. If  you think it is, you would be kidding yourself, but I know that you know better. I am well aware that you understand hardware based on your previous posts. . WoW is playable on a netbook in all areas except for large raid instances or battlegrounds. A lot of people will be expecting similar performance with GW2 and might be disappointed to find out that their machines won't run it. I don't have that issue, but I know a lot of my coworkers did. I know one that is running dual core intel with a GTX 260 on an older gaming laptop and the frame rates were abysmal in 720p.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

The dirt or grass ground textures could use some work for those with higher end systems. They are acceptable to me, but I can see how someone wcould want more quality.

The city ground textures like cobblestones and such look good to me. Here is an example that kind of shows them side by side:

Right click and open in new tab if you want to see the full pic.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Graphics are fine to me. The more you put in graphically the more computer you need so it's all a trade off. In my experience so far the game looks and runs great, minus the last stress test that is. 

This may actually turn out to be an issue for them. One of the big reasons WoW was so successful is that it ran on very low end machines. GW2 takes a mid grade machine to be playable at decent settings. I think that a lot of the non traditional PC players who only play WoW on the PC and play the rest of their games on a console will be upset when this doesn't perform like WoW did. With the economy the way it is, upgrading is probably not an option for a lot of those people.

• NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI Radeon™ X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (256MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
    • Keyboard and mouse
    these are official min requirements this is a pretty low end gaming system today.

Sure, but it isn't honestly playable at that level in a form that would satisfactory for most people. If  you think it is, you would be kidding yourself, but I know that you know better. I am well aware that you understand hardware based on your previous posts. . WoW is playable on a netbook in all areas except for large raid instances or battlegrounds. A lot of people will be expecting similar performance with GW2 and might be disappointed to find out that their machines won't run it. I don't have that issue, but I know a lot of my coworkers did. I know one that is running dual core intel with a GTX 260 on an older gaming laptop and the frame rates were abysmal in 720p.

dual core amd with a 256 mb nvidia card running very well here. I actually am amazed by the performance on this crap box but it works more than well enough. 

i run a bit of a better set up but on a huge monitor and often feel my lower machine on small monitor looks better maybe????

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

• Keyboard and mouse

You can read this thread which runs counter to what you are saying here.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/360191/GW2-and-integrated-Ivybridge-Graphics.html

Older machines are running the game pretty well from most of the people that have been reporting it. At least from all that I have read.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

• Keyboard and mouse

i still see this no differn't than console gaming.. consoles come out every 6ish years. PC gaming is always a more expensive hobby and I would never expect to play recent releases with decent framerates with a computer put together 6+ years ago. If you are going to be picky on frames and getting decent performance on new games you better be aware you will need to keep your computer at least 3 or so years current depending on what you buy at that time

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• 0lly0lly Member Posts: 9
    If your playing the game and you give all yourself to a combat situations and leveling, you cant realy think all the time about these glitches....If they even exist :D

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

• Keyboard and mouse

i still see this no differn't than console gaming.. consoles come out every 6ish years. PC gaming is always a more expensive hobby and I would never expect to play recent releases with decent framerates with a computer put together 6+ years ago.

That would be like comparing apples and oranges. A decent low end gaming computer is 700-900 dollars for a new tower. A new console is 300-400 dollars. PC gaming is expensive and that is why I said it would be a barrier to it becoming as successful and well known as WoW. WoW doesn't even require a gaming PC. It is available to the masses.

• Keyboard and mouse

i still see this no differn't than console gaming.. consoles come out every 6ish years. PC gaming is always a more expensive hobby and I would never expect to play recent releases with decent framerates with a computer put together 6+ years ago.

That would be like comparing apples and oranges. A decent low end gaming computer is 700-900 dollars for a new tower. A new console is 300-400 dollars. PC gaming is expensive and that is why I said it would be a barrier to it becoming as successful and well known as WoW. WoW doesn't even require a gaming PC. It is available to the masses.

Times change my friend and technology is moving. Like I said pc gaming is not a cheap hobby and if you are going to be picky on frames you need a mediocre rig.. BUT considering other games like TSW, GW2 is FAR more low end pc friendly. As many have reported the game is perfectly playable on PC's you could put together for $500. Obviously that would not be acceptable to me since I'm used to playing on a decent gaming rig but others won't mind it and can still enjoy the game.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• crimzonxskyzcrimzonxskyz Member Posts: 28

@stevebmbsqd

I built my rig, for 400 bucks, games ffxiv on nearly maxed settings pretty well, that game is pretty demanding graphically... 2.5ghz dual core athlon 64, with a gtx550 ti 1gb gddr5 gfx card, 4gigs of ram and a 320 gig hd... 23" 1920/1080p reso monitor.

console gaming IS for the masses, pc gaming is not for everyone... some people just like to hold a controller, while others like to be more strategic and use hot keys macros and a plethora of other buttons available on a keyboard when neccessary or even if needed depending on what game you play...

gg off topic

• crimzonxskyzcrimzonxskyz Member Posts: 28

thats actually the cost of the guts, I've had my tower for yrs but come this next pay check I got a fx 8120 cpu 3.1ghz octo-core cpu, with a double up on the ram, cause honestly you dont REALLY need more than 8 gigs as long as you have a decent gfx card and cpu...

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by colddog04

The dirt or grass ground textures could use some work for those with higher end systems. They are acceptable to me, but I can see how someone wcould want more quality.

The city ground textures like cobblestones and such look good to me. Here is an example that kind of shows them side by side:

Right click and open in new tab if you want to see the full pic.

I actually do not mind the ground textures that much.  Main reason why would be: Not a single game has great ground textures.  I actually stopped worrying about ground textures because they are most unrealistic thing in any game.  Until I see a game use single blade strands for all the grass.  They all look like flat, green textures stretched over long distances. 

Actually, I think 2 games that comes close to allowing me to avoid too much of the flat textures.  That would be Oblivion and Skyrim.  One of the first settings I go scrounging for and max the crap out of the grass.  Lose a decent amount of performance, but the ground looks more natural.

BOOYAKA!

Originally posted by cyress8

I actually do not mind the ground textures that much.  Main reason why would be: Not a single game has great ground textures.  I actually stopped worrying about ground textures because they are most unrealistic thing in any game.  Until I see a game use single blade strands for all the grass.  They all look like flat, green textures stretched over long distances. 

Actually, I think 2 games that comes close to allowing me to avoid too much of the flat textures.  That would be Oblivion and Skyrim.  One of the first settings I go scrounging for and max the crap out of the grass.  Lose a decent amount of performance, but the ground looks more natural.

TSW with tessellation on has amazing ground textures but still how often while playing do you stare at the ground when things are moving?... it's good for screenshots but thats about it.. most important thing is how the world as a whole looks and I feel GW2 nailed that.

• RockhideRockhide Member Posts: 155

TSW's are the best I've seen in an MMO, but it does have a technological advantage right now.  I think TERA's grass and dirt textures are really good for a DX9 game.

GW2 has a kind of washed out aesthetic anyway, so a lack of detail in something like ground and vegetation textures is barely noticeable to me.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by crimzonxskyz

I love how people whine about GROUND TEXTURES!!!!

REALLY?? How much time are you REALLY going to spend looking at the ground instead of playing the game?!?

" Well I dunno about that patch of grass right there whineyforumpostermcgee... It just looks TERRIBLE!! " lmao

Go code layer and texture your own game with AMAZING I CAN SEE EACH GRAIN OF SAND AND ITS INDIVIDUALITY then!

Haha, GW2 fanatics will jump on ANYTHING...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Tesselation needs to be done from the ground up.  It's the technology of how to map...everything really.  It deals with the Geometry of laying the textures on and true collision detection being factored into that.  Nvidia has a long video about this in regards to The Secret World.

As for GW2 - It's DX9 and looks pretty damn good for what it is and it's art style.  Not sure why anyone would be complaining about that.  It's more of a take it for what it is kind of thing.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

Ground textures don't look very good in most games, to me, when I take the time to point the camera down and really look at the ground.   But seriously...when playing, that's not something I do...ever.

Mostly I notice ground textures need work when looking at screenshots.  Fortunately once the game comes out I will be actually playing it instead of looking at screenshots, so I will deal with it for now. 

I am hoping though that we do see some improvements in these areas (it's not just ground textures that could use a little work, as already has been said here).  Maybe as they work on impilmenting DX11.   I think the game looks incredible as it is right now, especially for a DX9 game, but I will take improvements over time happily if they come.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    My only response to this thread would be, I play Mount and Blade: Warband more than I play anything else, I don't give a **** about GFX.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Distopia
    My only response to this thread would be, I play Mount and Blade: Warband more than I play anything else, I don't give a **** about GFX.

To quote a little-known internet meme, "Haters gonna hate".  People, usually those dissatisfied with the way things are going in their own lives, want to post disparaging remarks about games they have no intentions of playing.  The game those folks are playing is always superior, and these new games could never be as good.  It's the equivalent of "Get off my lawn, you damn kids".

Going out on a limb here, but I'd almost guarantee that most of the people dissatisfied with GW2's graphics at least dabble in Minecraft.  Not that they'd admit it here.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Who cares?!

Not sure this really warrants a thread either, but w/e. If someone cares enough about fake dirt to whine about it, who cares? Ignore them, block them, or just calm down and do something else. No reason to get angry about it. I mean, how much fun do you think you'd really have playing a game w/ someone like that with you?

"hey, wow! Check out these dirt textures! They're so amazing!" "uh huh, that's cool, I'm gunna go slay this dragon over here."

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by crimzonxskyz

haha :P

If you really want to get into it, every game has terrible ground textures when your camera is theoretically inches off the ground IN GAME you wont see blu ray hd 10 million P quality ground like your naked eye can see IRL... Be satisfied its a GAME do you want to escape reality back to something that is generally similar looking to your own... yeaaaaaaaaaaaaNO

and honestly ITS THE GROUND lol you frekkin run on it who cares your not gonna fight it ever, unless it drops you through the world in which case the ground textures win because you fall to death... end topic!

They are worried about all the time they will spend looking at it in their downed state after getting stomped. That is a big grip i know people still complain about all the bad teachures and such in wow's ground an they spend hours looking at it too.

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

The only people I know personally whose first arguments and critique about a game are it's graphics.

And 90% of their game time they spend on a FPS like CoD.  

Anybody in todays video gaming market, with LoL, Minecraft, Monaco is Mine etc... who thinks graphics is the main deciding factor in purchasing power are just plain ignorant.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The ground textures in the Silvary and Asura starter zones are much worse then in Queensdale and the earlier zones..

It might have to do with time pressure after all. And anet having had mot enough time for optimalisation.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)