Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ranger Pets

Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207

Is it me or are ranger pets still way too squishy? The bear seems to be decent, but I see a lot of people run around with pets in the "downed" state because the need to revive them seems to happen way to often.

I'd like to see the ranger pets get buffed or have better self healing. I'd also like to see the pet special abilities have the option to be put on autocast. 

When I played WoW this was my favorite website, http://www.wow-petopia.com/. Does anyone know of a website dedicated to GW 2 pets?

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by enoch420

When I played WoW this was my favorite website, http://www.wow-petopia.com/. Does anyone know of a website dedicated to GW 2 pets?

i havent seen one yet, but this is a starter

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Pets_by_family

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    The pet system in GW2 is really weak. I rolled a ranger and I just couldn't get into it. It didn't feel like a ranger or even a hunter for that matter.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    The pet system in GW2 is really weak. I rolled a ranger and I just couldn't get into it. It didn't feel like a ranger or even a hunter for that matter.

same actually ranger was the only class of the 8 i didn't care for

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Is it me or are ranger pets still way too squishy? The bear seems to be decent, but I see a lot of people run around with pets in the "downed" state because the need to revive them seems to happen way to often.

I'd like to see the ranger pets get buffed or have better self healing. I'd also like to see the pet special abilities have the option to be put on autocast. 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_pet_skills

That's you're best bet for info on pets atm. I don't know of any full sites dedicated to just pets.

As for the squishiness of pets, there's a lot of factors. First, it depends on the type of pet. Bears are probably the tankiest of the pets, birds are probably the weakest. If you spec into beast mastery, your pets can get to be pretty beefy. Also, the pet mechanic offers up to 4 pets (2 land, 2 water) and not a lot of rangers really take advantage of this. Swapping pets gives you a new one with 100% hp. If you swap back later, your original pet will be at full HP again.

Not sure about the autocast thing. I haven't actually tried that myself. I want to say it's possible, but I'm actually not 100% on that. Either way, it should have its own auto-cast. Overall I'm kinda annoyed with how pet skills pause what your character is doing in order to cast the pet skill. I wish they had their animations tied just to the pets and not the character.

- Overall, there are ways in which they could improve the pets, definitely. As for their survivability I think they are close to where they should be.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

What little i've played so far, as a Ranger... Its pretty much a guarantee for my pet to be beaten to hell and the mob to come after me then.

Which leads to me having to run the hell away.

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

What little i've played so far, as a Ranger... Its pretty much a guarantee for my pet to be beaten to hell and the mob to come after me then.

Which leads to me having to run the hell away.

Yea this happens to me almost everytime I pull more than two mobs at a time. I think WoW had hunter pets down pretty good. I do switch pets when they start getting low on hp, but my gripe is that they get low hp way too fast. I love the way pets look and move in GW 2, even more than WoW's. Loque Nahak is kinda hard to beat though. :) 

I'm an animal lover in real life so I hope that down the road ranger pets become a bigger part and a more important part of the ranger. Please read this Colin J. :)

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    might be in PVE, but in sPVP, they need a major health/toughness nerf
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    might be in PVE, but in sPVP, they need a major health/toughness nerf

See in PvP I think they're ok, but they're usually not much of a factor. Enemy pIayers seem to just ignore my pet and demolish me. I haven't PvP'd a whole lot yet so you could be right. They're also leveled to max level in PvP so they have a lot of health. I personally thought they should do a little more dps in PvP. I guess that's why I'll never work on balancing their game. :) 

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189

Hi I'm ranger level 25. In most fights, my pet is pretty decent tanker.

I have 2 signets on, one which increases the defence of pet and myself

And another which provides regenaration of myself and pet. Both of these are passive. Usually in any DE, my pet can survive  quiet easily with the help of my heal. 

The only place my pet ever dies is when we're taking on a boss or so and even then I can usually avoid death by simply pressing F3.

Pro Tip: Swap out pets right when one pet has about 10% hp left. That way your cooldown for bringing the initial pet back into fight is 20 seconds as opposed to 60 seconds if you let it die first. 

I feel many people don't use the swap function often. Swapping pets is crutial and another form of strategy to the ranger. Here are some reasons below.

- Full health upon swapping.

- Downed pets can't be swapped in or out and they'll be fully revived. 

- Allows to pull your pet out of damage AoEs instantly. 

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

My most recent experience with pets was opposite, I found them much more tanky. My friend's bear was tanking for both of us really well, at least until too many things started attacking at once. But that's the way the game works. I think this is the real problem people are having.

In GW2, if you stand there while shit's beating on you, you will die. Naturally, pets in this same situation, will die (and they do). They don't have the intelligence to dodge and roll like you do, and if they did (because I know you're thinking, "But they should!") people would then end up complaining that they don't have control of their pet, or that it's rolling over cliffs, or aggroing other things while dodging around, etc. You can't just overpower the pet to compensate for this, because then the PvPers will rant and rave, righteously so.

IMO, the ideal would be to leave it like it is now, but make pets insta-revive once combat ends. That way they're always up and ready to go, because they actually serve their purpose just fine now as combat initiators and buffers when used correctly. The annoyance comes in having to constantly revive them. Get rid of that, and they'd be fine.

edit = not to be rude, but if you need to run away because your pet died, you're a terrible Ranger. Rangers are NOT their pets; they are more than powerful on their own with the pets merely providing backup utility similar to the Mesmer's Illusions and the Elementalist's spirits. Get a bow and put a melee weapon in the other hand, and roll some faces.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230

there is a huge difference in GW2 pets and WoW.  honestly i definitely appreciate the pet system in WoW much better.  the capturing of pets, the development of pets through size, strength, and pet trees.  plus the vast amounts of types of pets, and that there are rare pets lying around for you to tame.  always went with banglagash in stranglethorn vale myself, and he would get HUGE by the time he maxes out in size.  having a site dedicated to GW2 pets would seem kinda irrelevant since its such a small task.  it would be better to just use the wiki.

From what I'm reading, swapping pets is pretty much the go to tactic for Beast Master rangers. I was a BM in WoW and plan on being one in GW 2. I just like tougher pets is all. I haven't got to level 25 like the person in the above post so maybe I should wait for release to really see how high level pets handle fights. :)
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Lots of rangers run around with dead pets because they don't swap them when they can or don't have another pet to swap with.

Pets are not supposed to be as tough as players or even the ranger himself. They arn't for tanking, they are an extra mechanic with skills that need to be considered in a Ranger's build. Rangers are far from being squishy and if someone can't survive when their pet is dead then they really need to reassess their combat style.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

IMO, the ideal would be to leave it like it is now, but make pets insta-revive once combat ends. That way they're always up and ready to go, because they actually serve their purpose just fine now as combat initiators and buffers when used correctly. The annoyance comes in having to constantly revive them. Get rid of that, and they'd be fine.

That's a good suggestion.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

You can't just overpower the pet to compensate for this, because then the PvPers will rant and rave, righteously so.

In PVP, they're already way more than they should be, they should be ignorable for the purpose of focusing on the ranger itself, but currently they're like a 2nd player gnawing your ass with decent damage, insanely high health (for a pet) combined with rangers themselves being the "survivalist 101"

But all things accounted for, you can't possibly balance a game with so many classes for both PVE and PVP, the game will be an endless buff / nerf this and that untill the end of time. I already see the "e-sports" sinking like the titanic because of the endless balance issues on games with class/skill mechanics.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Very fun to watch! Pets

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

My most recent experience with pets was opposite, I found them much more tanky. My friend's bear was tanking for both of us really well, at least until too many things started attacking at once. But that's the way the game works. I think this is the real problem people are having.

In GW2, if you stand there while shit's beating on you, you will die. Naturally, pets in this same situation, will die (and they do). They don't have the intelligence to dodge and roll like you do, and if they did (because I know you're thinking, "But they should!") people would then end up complaining that they don't have control of their pet, or that it's rolling over cliffs, or aggroing other things while dodging around, etc. You can't just overpower the pet to compensate for this, because then the PvPers will rant and rave, righteously so.

edit = not to be rude, but if you need to run away because your pet died, you're a terrible Ranger. Rangers are NOT their pets; they are more than powerful on their own with the pets merely providing backup utility similar to the Mesmer's Illusions and the Elementalist's spirits. Get a bow and put a melee weapon in the other hand, and roll some faces.

Lol, I don't think you're rude at all dude. Ranger melee combat is super awesome. I use a sword and warhorn as my melee set. 

What you said about pets aggro'ing mobs did bring up another issue I have with pets in GW 2. A lot of time my pet is like 5-10 yards in front of me when I'm running. When I stop near a mob they usually pull because they're way too close. Probably an easy fix, I just hope it does get fixed.

Originally posted by Zooce

In wouldn't work right in large scale PvP. The ranger could just run away a little behind their own zerg so that they exit combat mode, get the insta-rez and then run back in way less than 30 seconds.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Zooce

In wouldn't work right in large scale PvP. The ranger could just run away a little behind their own zerg so that they exit combat mode, get the insta-rez and then run back in way less than 30 seconds.

True, I was about to add a clause about it causing issues with pvp, but I've not much experience with that as I spend most my time testing pve so far- figured I would leave it up to someone more knowledgeable to point out.  I do think it would be nice for PvE though.

Lots of rangers run around with dead pets because they don't swap them when they can or don't have another pet to swap with.

Pets are not supposed to be as tough as players or even the ranger himself. They arn't for tanking, they are an extra mechanic with skills that need to be considered in a Ranger's build. Rangers are far from being squishy and if someone can't survive when their pet is dead then they really need to reassess their combat style.

Well I haven't had the time to get a Ranger to a very high level so I can't say how the pets are at a higher level than 20, other than in PvP. I have no problem surviving without a pet, but in my personal opinion a Ranger isn't much of a Ranger if the pet isn't a big part of their DPS. I don't think the pet should be everything, but If you're going to make a spec called Beast Master, the pet should fit the bill. I agree with you man, I'd just like to see pets be closer to WoW pets as far as survivability. Survivability is the keyword here. I can do plenty of DPS with my weapons and avoid most people due to dodges and the range I have with a longbow.

Well I haven't had the time to get a Ranger to a very high level so I can't say how the pets are at a higher level than 20, other than in PvP. I have no problem surviving without a pet, but in my personal opinion a Ranger isn't much of a Ranger if the pet isn't a big part of their DPS. I don't think the pet should be everything, but If you're going to make a spec called Beast Master, the pet should fit the bill. I agree with you man, I'd just like to see pets be closer to WoW pets as far as survivability. Survivability is the keyword here. I can do plenty of DPS with my weapons and avoid most people due to dodges and the range I have with a longbow.

I think the only way to solve this is to buff the beastmaster trait line and/or change the type of bonuses it gives. I agree though, it would be nice to have a way to really focus on your pet as an option. At the moment though it looks like it would involve a major class balance overhaul.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Bingo!! I have commented on this in the past as well as the official thread and some just don't get it. Not to insult intelligence but instead of crying fix, maybe learn to play. Sorry if that comes across as harsh because it isn't meant to. The pet system I found was good althoguh I am only 22 on my highest ranger. Pet swapping is what it is all about and if you seee a crap ton of dead pets, almost assume they were huntards at some point and haven't figured it out yet. Just be polite like I have and tell them to make sure they swap pets for the free rez and watch the light click on.  I get a lot of thank yous for something so simple.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i personally wish less people would roll rangers , there is way to many of them out in world vs world running around heh. The pets are fine in gank situations though just not in pve or zerges.

I think the only way to solve this is to buff the beastmaster trait line and/or change the type of bonuses it gives. I agree though, it would be nice to have a way to really focus on your pet as an option. At the moment though it looks like it would involve a major class balance overhaul.

Agreed. That's kind of how WoW handled things. You had the BM spec (which was my personal fav), then the Survival and Marksman specs that were more based on weapon damage. They were always buffing and nerfing pets in WoW it seemed. I guess time will tell.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by cronius77
    i personally wish less people would roll rangers , there is way to many of them out in world vs world running around heh. The pets are fine in gank situations though just not in pve or zerges.

This has been my only problem with pets. it has nothing to d with how they work or their survivability, more to do with those that leave them dead and I have to try to rez players without the dead pets getting in the way. Hence why I try to inform as many ranger in game about how to keep your pets alive at almost all times via swapping. Really annoying when I find myself rezing a pet in the heat of a battle.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.