Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your views on dynamic events?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by reillan

By "get behind" I mean "behind on level"... e.g., when I was lvl 16, I was doing lvl 18 quests. I didn't want to go back and do the lvl 16 ones over and over again.

Then when I finally got out of the 2nd zone, I discovered that the 3rd zone had quests lower than the level I had reached... and of course you can bounce around to other people's areas if you REALLY don't want to repeat. But if you stay single-race, you kinda end up covering a lot of the same ground.

in my sig under the "Hot Topics" section there are two good videos that discuss this topic.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by RogueTroopa

Just curious if any of you beta testers  enjoyed these dynamic events or did they simply become as tiresome as the rifts? For me the rifts were a new concept at the start but people soon got tired and bored of these. 

Will I be going through the game constantly getting into dynamic events or are these few and far between? 

The levels 1-17 zones are good, not great but once you get into the 15-25 zone they are so awesome.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by ariboersma
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Just curious if any of you beta testers  enjoyed these dynamic events or did they simply become as tiresome as the rifts? For me the rifts were a new concept at the start but people soon got tired and bored of these. 

Will I be going through the game constantly getting into dynamic events or are these few and far between? 

I found the dynamic events much more immersive.  I don't think people really understood how immersive they were at first because people would participate in one, then run off without paying attention to why the one thing happened and see the result.  Often a new chain will spring forth from asking a unassuming NPC something.

Here is a good video describing a DE:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes and this one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwmtVFoZAKA&feature=relmfu

pretty much this

yep

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by MercAngel

Originally posted by reillan What I don't like about them is that some of them seem to never occur. You could be waiting around in an area for an event, and maybe the trigger for it is something completely unknown to anyone in the area. So you run through the area, doing all the rest of the quests, and never know this one is there. The result is that you end up WAY behind on questing... you can't do each quest just once and hope to hit lvl 20 - you end up having to repeat several of them multiple times.
    there is no quest order to get behind on. and you do not neeed to do every DE or heart in a zone to move on.

the only DE's i have done more then one time are the Meta DE's as i think they are fun

By "get behind" I mean "behind on level"... e.g., when I was lvl 16, I was doing lvl 18 quests. I didn't want to go back and do the lvl 16 ones over and over again.

Then when I finally got out of the 2nd zone, I discovered that the 3rd zone had quests lower than the level I had reached... and of course you can bounce around to other people's areas if you REALLY don't want to repeat. But if you stay single-race, you kinda end up covering a lot of the same ground.

Why not?  Are you that pre-programed to the WoW mentality that lower level does not equate a worthwhile choice?  Its baloney and you really....let me repeat this so it sinks in......REALLY need to lose all notions of how it was done in the past.  Levels are not indicative of anything remotely similar in this game then in previous. 

Please just learn to adapt or move along, this game is radically different from anything you've experienced before which is why its got so much hype.

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by ariboersma
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I found the dynamic events much more immersive.  I don't think people really understood how immersive they were at first because people would participate in one, then run off without paying attention to why the one thing happened and see the result.  Often a new chain will spring forth from asking a unassuming NPC something.

Here is a good video describing a DE:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes and this one:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwmtVFoZAKA&feature=relmfu

pretty much this

yep

I have a quick example.  It was just a little event that I started.  I was at the lake in the human area.  I starting talking to the people at this fishing hut.  I talked to the father who said to talk to his wife since she does the fishing.  I talk to her but she needs some bait first.  So I agree to go help her get some grub in this cave she knows about.  It was a fair distance away from her home so we get there.  People are around killing random stuff, but then the DE started in which people were to kill the grub and turn them into the wife.  As soon as the event ends, everyone takes off.  The wife runs the long way back to her hut and was about to fish, but then she started crying.  There was a big baracuda in the water and it was eating/scaring away all the fish.  It was a champion mob, which I solo'd before, but he had to many baracuda buddies so I could not kill it.  The wife is upset that she can't feed the kids etc.  If people would have followed the chain we could have beat the mob.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

I personally loved the DEs way more than Rifts.  As others have said, Rifts were very  generic.  Every Rift was fancy special effects in a circle where mobs of various types spawn in succession.  That summarizes every single rift.  They also are not-of-this world occurrences, having absolutely nothing to do with the world around them (obviously I'm over simplifying, but you get the drift I hope).   Granted, each zone in Rift also had those big zone-wide invasion events, which had a little more to them.   Those invasion events were also the BEST part of the game (imo).  Beyond that the game has the same static and stale quest system as WoW.   

I think if you are going to compare DEs in GW2 to anythign in Rift, they are better compared to the invasions than just the Rifts.  But even then, they are far more than the invasions.  Dynamic events also provide a whole lot of variety, they are contextual in that they are a part of the world you are adventuring in.  They provide Lore, context, story, all sewn within the fabric of world.  I find that they really add to the immersion of the game, and as someone who is a serious altoholic I also like how you won't see "all" of the events in any given area on a playthrough, which provides some nice replayability.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

The actual concept first saw the light of day in Warhammer Online with their PQ system.  At the time is was a revelation.  The RIFT version is IMO a poorer implementation of that idea although some will disagree.

The positives and negatives are generally the same as they've ever been though.  The positives are that you can group together a large amount of people and deal with a threat in the local area, (what MMOs are about really, GW2 changes this up with a scaling system, and some follow on events depending on how successful you are), and of course all share in the benefits when your successful.  This sort of content also leads to less issues with grouping, i.e. finding people, roles, etc. Also players can find a certain amount of freedom or don't feel pressured into a certain, 'job', as in most games, (also with the two previous versions stated), so you can pretty much contribute to something doing whats fun for you.

The negatives are that there's usually a lack of variety in the tasks, (most involve smacking something to death repeatedly). Some tasks lack difficulty because difficulty is scaled for numbers rather then roles, (this is arguable).  Also for some people is ruins immersion.  If Orks are just going to attack this village again on a timer ten mniutes after I save it, whats the point for my hero to do this? You don't have that one with a traditional quest.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Some of them are OK, but even in the starting areas they are all kind of bleeding together for me.

Joined - July 2004

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

they're ok, but i feel like i need to get more story out of and they need to be more diverse. usually theyre just defend this, collect this, kill these, use this item. actually i think my favorite quests came from TSW, they had a lot of really fun varied quests.  some you had to infiltrate, some things you needed to look up online, some you had to go to find a secret area in the mountains, etc.

they need to up the challange on some of these DE's though. usually if a zerg shows up it means i just stand there and spam 1 until the zerg facerolls the event. as a result i try to level up it more desolate areas so i can have more of a challenge. i really hope later on the DE's get signficantly harder.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    I absolutely LOVE the dynamic events. If I don't like one, I just don't bother with it. There is always something else going on. I never feel like I have to finish this stupid quest so I can get it out of my quest log like in EVERY other MMO out there.

The other thing I like about dynamic events is you can come back to them again if you want

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I personally really liked that. They were pretty varied and were always a lot of fun. In fact during beta weekend 3 I was sort of upset/disapointed because I experienced A LOT less of them (I was playing in the Sylvari area and for whatever reason I only saw like 3 dynamic events in 2 hours). The thing is they make up like 90% of the PvE content, so if they aren't appearing (because they're "dynamic") there really isn't that much to do (The renown quests don't even come close to being enough content to keep you leveled with the content). They are a lot of fun because they have different stories and are all unique. I only played Rift for a few days but at least in my experience all the "Rifts" were the same, depending on their element. So like a fire rift always seemed to b the same 3 or 4 step event...if there were variations they were minor. With Dynamic Events they vary widely, both in the kinds of mobs you fight and what happens.
  • MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204

Originally posted by MercAngel

Originally posted by reillan What I don't like about them is that some of them seem to never occur. You could be waiting around in an area for an event, and maybe the trigger for it is something completely unknown to anyone in the area. So you run through the area, doing all the rest of the quests, and never know this one is there. The result is that you end up WAY behind on questing... you can't do each quest just once and hope to hit lvl 20 - you end up having to repeat several of them multiple times.
    there is no quest order to get behind on. and you do not neeed to do every DE or heart in a zone to move on.

the only DE's i have done more then one time are the Meta DE's as i think they are fun

i wouldsay your are moveing to fast and missing a lot of stuff

lets take the Norn start zone the sout part of the zone is like lvl 1-7 the middle is like 7-12 and the north part is like 12-17  in the lvl 1-7 part of the map you can get to lvl 12 in that area of the zone with out haveing to do any thing more then one time

and in BEW3 i start a new norn char and not doing any thing more the one time was at lvl 22 with 100% map and in the last stress test i took that char from lvl 22 to 28 just doing to 2 meta events 3 time each like i said i like the Meta events

Originally posted by Omnifish

The actual concept first saw the light of day in Warhammer Online with their PQ system.  At the time is was a revelation.  The RIFT version is IMO a poorer implementation of that idea although some will disagree.

The positives and negatives are generally the same as they've ever been though.  The positives are that you can group together a large amount of people and deal with a threat in the local area, (what MMOs are about really, GW2 changes this up with a scaling system, and some follow on events depending on how successful you are), and of course all share in the benefits when your successful.  This sort of content also leads to less issues with grouping, i.e. finding people, roles, etc. Also players can find a certain amount of freedom or don't feel pressured into a certain, 'job', as in most games, (also with the two previous versions stated), so you can pretty much contribute to something doing whats fun for you.

The negatives are that there's usually a lack of variety in the tasks, (most involve smacking something to death repeatedly). Some tasks lack difficulty because difficulty is scaled for numbers rather then roles, (this is arguable).  Also for some people is ruins immersion.  If Orks are just going to attack this village again on a timer ten mniutes after I save it, whats the point for my hero to do this? You don't have that one with a traditional quest.

The thing is al those negatives technically apply to normal questing in MMO's as well. They are negatives of the genre that no game has ever been able to get around.

All questing systems in MMOs (that i've encountered) lack a variety of tasks....typically most involve "smacking something to death" because these are action/combat games at their core, and most of what you do is "smacking something to death". They also tend to lack difficulty because quests in general are designed for the masses, and if they were "difficult" than the "average" player wouldn't be able to do them, which would turn off a lot of players. Traditional quests also ruin immersion because in most situations you clear out orks but they are still there for other people to kill/clear out. What was the point of doing the quest? (I know WoW and some other games work with "phasing" where the zone changes when you complete some quests...but unless a game did that after completely EVERY quest, all games lack real immersion).

I've yet to see an MMO that fixes those problems. Dynamic Events are ultimately quests just like standard quests...what changes is how they are presented. Instead of always walking up to an exclamation point they just appear on their own, and everyone can participate. But at their core they are still just quests.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Dynamic Events (GW2 version, not the crap WAR or Rift tried to make us believe it was dynamic): best thing that happened to theme park MMORPGs since WOW was released in 2004.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Dynamic Events (GW2 version, not the crap WAR or Rift tried to make us believe it was dynamic): best thing that happened to theme park MMORPGs since WOW was released in 2004.

I remember when WoW came out in 2004 and all those !'s and ?'s and the questing system was so new it replaced grinding mobs as the primary source of leveling in an MMO.  I thought to myself, this will revolutionize the genre.  I was right!  Fast forward 8 years and I said the same thing about GW2's DE system.  Will I be right again?  My spidey senses predict yes.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I remember when WoW came out in 2004 and all those !'s and ?'s and the questing system was so new it replaced grinding mobs as the primary source of leveling in an MMO.  I thought to myself, this will revolutionize the genre.  I was right!  Fast forward 8 years and I said the same thing about GW2's DE system.  Will I be right again?  My spidey senses predict yes.

So Very True!!

The WoW innovation did more than innovate the genre, it spread outside of the genre.  You see the same system (or at least similiar) system used in single player games as well now.   

I'm hoping that GW2 has that same level of impact, not just within the genre but busting over into other game types too.  

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Well atleast I can get away from a daily real life DE, when my dog poos on other's yard sometimes and I have to take a bag to clean it up. Let the wife handle that from now on.

O_O

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    It will do jagarud. If you are developing a new mmorg you are never ever going to select ? Over the head instead of the gw2 model. Finally after 8 years a bit of evolution. (note not revolution)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    They are a welcome adaptation of Rifts dynamic events. That being said, I did enjoy how Rift introduced a guild aspect to theirs (opening up raid tears) where others couldn't interfere. There is no strategy when 50 random people just go at a meta event boss. It's just a matter of trying to survive and raising other people up.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Well, the big difference is dynamic events are THE main way of questing in this game. Rifts, while fun, were a completely 2ndary mechanic. If you got rid of rifts, you were only losing maybe 5-10% of the game's content. Nothing major. If you remove dynamic events from GW2, you'd be stripping out roughly ~80-90% of the game's content. They're all encompassing, and they are everywhere (outside of structured PvP).

Now, this is also one of the downsides. As with anything, DEs can get repetative. They've done a lot to try and minimize this, but this is very blatant in the starting areas. It really depends on how you play, though.

For example, if you are the type of player that plays on a checklist (i.e. 'okay, lets see what i have to do here' and then goes off to check off the tasks), then DEs won't make a lot of sense for you. It won't matter how much they vary or change, you will still be viewing them like a traditional questing mechanic. Now, if you are an explorer (i.e. you'd rather forget the checklist, and just adventure out and see what's out there), then you will absolutely love dynamic events. They are best experienced, by far, when you just allow them to happen, and aren't looking for specific ones.

- Overall, I still haven't gotten tired of them, and I've been playing the game since the end of closed beta. This is primarily due to how many different ways there are to experience low lvl content. There is absolutely nothing forcing you to repeat the same content you were just doing, and if you hate your race's starting area, there's nothing stopping you from going to a different one. The freedom is most definitely a breath of fresh air.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    Originally posted by Vesavius

No, nothing like Rift's, because Rift's were extremply repetitive. GW2's are not.

My overall opinion of DEs in this game though is that they are pretty shit when shared by the zerg, but amazing when tackled in a small personal group.

The trouble is that right now most are judging them from only the zerg.

One advantage to pushing to level 30 in a single beta weekend, is you pretty much leave the zerg behind. :)

Most beta weekends, I've ended up starting them late (In the evening), so I actually mostly missed the zerg, and it wasn't until the latest stress test with me starting a new character that I really got to experience what it was like being part of a huge mass that just goes around destroying events.

I agree, that's not nearly as fun.  Probably about the optimal fun group is around 4-5 people for most of the time, and at least 10 for the big boss events (Because they're fairly impossible in a group of 5).

Yeah for sure. A small group like you say is ideal imo. We have chatted here and decided to spend the first few days grinding a bit (for loot bags and to unlock weapon skills), crafting, exploring, and gathering to let the initial herd get ahead of us so we can enjoy the DEs in a less manic environment.

Y'know... GW2 will maybe be in the long term the best ageing MMO we have seen because it's DEs, along with features like no specific classes required and automatic delevelling.

In the past, under the traditional model, it is a bad thing to find yourself with just a few of you in a zone, as happens usually in a game as people level past content... in GW2 it is actually arguably better.

Providing a quality starter experience in 6 months or a year from now, and not just in the first month when the servers are heaving, for one of these games is actually a pretty amazing thing. 

Originally posted by aesperus

Well, the big difference is dynamic events are THE main way of questing in this game. Rifts, while fun, were a completely 2ndary mechanic. If you got rid of rifts, you were only losing maybe 5-10% of the game's content. Nothing major. If you remove dynamic events from GW2, you'd be stripping out roughly ~80-90% of the game's content. They're all encompassing, and they are everywhere (outside of structured PvP).

Now, this is also one of the downsides. As with anything, DEs can get repetative. They've done a lot to try and minimize this, but this is very blatant in the starting areas. It really depends on how you play, though.

For example, if you are the type of player that plays on a checklist (i.e. 'okay, lets see what i have to do here' and then goes off to check off the tasks), then DEs won't make a lot of sense for you. It won't matter how much they vary or change, you will still be viewing them like a traditional questing mechanic. Now, if you are an explorer (i.e. you'd rather forget the checklist, and just adventure out and see what's out there), then you will absolutely love dynamic events. They are best experienced, by far, when you just allow them to happen, and aren't looking for specific ones.

- Overall, I still haven't gotten tired of them, and I've been playing the game since the end of closed beta. This is primarily due to how many different ways there are to experience low lvl content. There is absolutely nothing forcing you to repeat the same content you were just doing, and if you hate your race's starting area, there's nothing stopping you from going to a different one. The freedom is most definitely a breath of fresh air.

The other downside to the system (which I have experienced during two separate play sessions now) is that because they are "dynamic" and 80-90% of the content in the game...you can get "unlucky" and have literally NOTHING to do in the game. On two separate occassions I came across maybe 3 or 4 dynamic events in 2 hours. Since there are no traditional quests (the renown hearts are very minor), I was basically just wandering around and grinding. I tried talking to every named NPC, I did all the renown quests and events never triggered. It was like a ghost-game.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by DrWookie

The other downside to the system (which I have experienced during two separate play sessions now) is that because they are "dynamic" and 80-90% of the content in the game...you can get "unlucky" and have literally NOTHING to do in the game. On two separate occassions I came across maybe 3 or 4 dynamic events in 2 hours. Since there are no traditional quests (the renown hearts are very minor), I was basically just wandering around and grinding. I tried talking to every named NPC, I did all the renown quests and events never triggered. It was like a ghost-game.

renowns don't really trigger DE's generally a lot of the time DE's will overlap heart quests though..  You also have your personal story to follow as well if you feel your tired of just wandering.

Also never once in all the time I put into beta did the game feel like a ghost game people were everywhere.. but even if i was alone I find the zones to be incredibly immersive so would enjoy it either way..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I enjoy them so much that its actually difficult for me to play other mmos because they all feel stale and dry after experiencing the dynamic content of GW2.
  • Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Mix it up with some pvp and dungeons.

You can never please everyone and overall we can be quite over critical when it comes to teams trying something new. We all cry for inovation but then when people try new things we all jump on them and say its really the same old thing presented in a new way. After time these systems evolve until we do have something entirely new.

All I can say is its much more enjoyable(imho) than the traditional questing system available in most themeparks today. I may still be killing or collecting things but the way its presented it doesnt feel like a chore. If I was still into RP ide say its much more immersive and rp-friendly as well.