Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Co-Founder Zeschuk flees SWTOR

124»

Comments

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by Psychow

Originally posted by Enigmatus Part of me wonders what exactly was going on behind closed doors. The resources they had were immense, they had a lot of time to get it ready... SERIOUSLY, nearly $200 million dollars to develop it, and over 4 - 5 years to make it, the hell went wrong?
      They fell in love with the voice overs.  Had they only done the voice overs for the main story quests, flash pints and main quest chains in each zone, they could have used the money spent on voice over on the other "filler" quests on something else. Maybe a better crafting system, better space combat, better (insert almost anything)...etc. 
    Eh, been saying it since forever - VA don't do anything tangible gameplay-wise. Yeah, it's nice for building immersion, making characters memorable more easily and the technology itself has become an industry standard, but you simply cannot center your entire game around it, doubly so for an MMO. It's like basing your entire game on a whole lot of nothing when it comes to actually playing the game. I don't know, maybe I'm just old and tired.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by gbooster
    Originally posted by tixylix
    It's not EA's fault SWTOR is shit, Bioware had the freedom to develop the game and failed. I'm surprised it's taken this long for Bioware to be exposed, always thought everything they've made since BG2 has been shit.

I don't know, they have made some great solo RPGs since then. Dragon Age was great fun, Mass Effect was kinda cool. Nothing has been up to the level that the Dungeons and Dragons games they made 10+ years ago. .

As for SWTOR. It is obvious using that formulae for an MMO is a huge fail. If they had just released the game as a three part series like Mass Effect it would have been considered one of the greatest single player games ever. I still think the biggest reasons they forced it to be an MMO was part Blizzard $$ envy, but mainly because of piracy. Subscription fees are the greatest DRM ever.

Because the dungeons and dragons games (BG1 and 2) they made were in cooperation with Bryan Fargo (Interplay's Producer) and Black Isle (later TROIKA GAMES, not obsidian). Alone they never had the talent, NWN clearly shows it.

REALITY CHECK

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Thillian
    Originally posted by gbooster
    Originally posted by tixylix
    It's not EA's fault SWTOR is shit, Bioware had the freedom to develop the game and failed. I'm surprised it's taken this long for Bioware to be exposed, always thought everything they've made since BG2 has been shit.

I don't know, they have made some great solo RPGs since then. Dragon Age was great fun, Mass Effect was kinda cool. Nothing has been up to the level that the Dungeons and Dragons games they made 10+ years ago. .

As for SWTOR. It is obvious using that formulae for an MMO is a huge fail. If they had just released the game as a three part series like Mass Effect it would have been considered one of the greatest single player games ever. I still think the biggest reasons they forced it to be an MMO was part Blizzard $$ envy, but mainly because of piracy. Subscription fees are the greatest DRM ever.

Because the dungeons and dragons games (BG1 and 2) they made were in cooperation with Bryan Fargo (Interplay's Producer) and Black Isle (later TROIKA GAMES, not obsidian). Alone they never had the talent, NWN clearly shows it.

IMHO the best one was Planescape Torment. It was even better than BG serie. Guess who made it ;)

(edit) As much as I found Kotor II better than the I. Too bad LA pushed the studio to publish it unfinisehd.