Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 reasons you may not Like GW2 (as read by a GW2 Fanboi)

Comments

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

its funny because people who bash this game say things like 

"reason 6: Downed state in PvP (a big part of the PvP community doesn't like that feature)

discussed to death. check page 1 or 2 for 2 huge-ass threads

It is a new feature with a lot of positive aspects. In case that it becomes a problem in PvP, ArenaNet will fix it. No need to freak out here at all.

there are many things i hated in gw1 and very few were fixed over the years. i guess you have more faith in anet than I do.

reason 7: Most people don't really care about cosmetic rewards

no other popular mmo except gw1 relied only on cosmetic rewards as endgame. gw1 players will be a small minority in gw2. the rest may or may not like it.

In WoW a lot of players farmed outdated raids extensively, to get  rare mounts or old armor-sets. Blizzard earns a fortune with the cosmetic stuff one can buy in their shop.

The endgame in wow isnt based around cosmetic items

reason 8: WvW is all about objectives and not about PvP (the same mistake WAR did)

this can't be explained to people who haven't played daoc or WAR extensively. It's like RvR without realm ranks.

They have a decent concept for WvW. It sounds great and most testers have been very pleased so far. Maybe it will fail for whatever reason. But we should thank ArenaNet, that they at least try to do something new and awesome. They give us exactly what players have been asking for the past couple of years. You are just embarrassing yourself. 

They didn't do it exactly as it should be done. Time will tell. I'm sure you guys will love it for the first month or so.  

reason 9: Dynamic events aren't as fun when you are in a big zerg

this is my personal opinion but I've seen many people who agree on the internet. I am not alone for sure. The bigger the zerg gets the less fun DEs are. They mobs die too fast and you can't even see the bosses with all the spell effects.

Yes, but this is a typical effect of limited beta-time and stress-tests. After release players will no longer concentrate in such amounts in the starter-areas, because they will level up. Pure logic.

You forgot about the overflow servers. The zones will be always populated unless gw2's population shrinks heavily and the servers are empty.

reason 10: hearts discourage group play 

I played with a friend in bwe3. We had to split up most of the time since always someone would be done with a heart first and they didn't want to wait.

Hearts are meant to give players some kind of orientation. You can leave them completely out, if you want to. There is so much stuff to do and you gain XP through a great variety of things. Moreover, there has never been an MMO that motivates the players to work togethat as GW2.

reason 11: many skills root you, for example the rangers 1h sword autoattack and almost all skills when you get transformed into an animal in a heart event(makes hearts even more annoying"

This is fact. The stress test is still up go try a ranger with 1h sword and see for yourself. Also try doing the hearts that turn you into a leopard(norn starting area) or a tree (sylvari starting area)

Combat in GW2 looks as dynamic as it can be. It is definately one of the faster-paced MMOs. Even TERA, which is the only MMO that is more action-oriented, has some skills that root you. However, combat in TERA is fantastic.

We have different tastes because I dislike tera's combat. Melee skills that root are a joke.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

basically guild wars 2 is a perfect game and everyone should like it. 

No one should dislike guild wars 2, eventhough everyone is different and have different taste of games, because Guild wars 2 is that perfect.  It's perfect for everyone.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by laokoko

No one should dislike guild wars 2, eventhough everyone is different and have different taste of games, because Guild wars 2 is that perfect.  It's perfect for everyone.

where did anyone say that? what I will say is it is the best themepark MMO i have ever played in my 15 years of MMO's. Many people are just tired of themeparks or fantasy in general which is fine but what I don't get is some peoples obssesion with bashing a game they have no interest in.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by laokoko

No one's forcing you to like it; it isn't for everyone.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

hi

well with 3-5# i have to agree these might be turn off for some ppl but with 1-2 i see some similiar turn off for myself

#1 the WvW has queue ... while they could add the pvp elements of WvW inside the PvE content and the fight would be between the 3 orders (who would need to be united to reach end game content but for regions dominance they could fight each other ! but anyway i talk for another game then :P )

#2 i would like the character progression to not stay only in visuals or to go forward to some kewl visuals like sergeants in sPvP to follow you (instead of thr creepy minis) or for WvW some kewl machines like airships xD

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Purgatus

So, anyone familiar with my name around these parts knows that I am a die-hard fan of GW2. I think its the best MMO I've ever played. But no game is completely without problems, and no game can appeal to everyone. I've seen a lot of vitriolic threads about what GW2 does wrong, or how GW2 sucks because it lacks feature X or Y. I thought I would post some of the reasons I feel some players will not like GW2 from the opposite perspective.

So without further Delay...(and In no particular order)

Reason #1 - No Open World PvP

Reason #2 - Sense of progression

Reason #3 - No Traditional Endgame

Reason #4 - Some Traditional Roles are Gone

Reason #5 - Cash Shop

1. "Great Open World PvP" is one of the two biggest myths out there ( the other is end-game = raiding).   In mixed (PVE/PVP) worlds, very few people engage in any sort of constant 'flag on' open-world PvP.  Mostly they stay 'flag-off' move to a ganking area then go flag on when some poor schulb who forgot to turn off his flag passes by.    On the PvP server open world PvP games...    It's pretty much more griefers and gankers most of whom will log rather than face a superior foe.   Sometimes you get huge blobs/zergs as everyone runs around in packs because they'll otherwise get griefed, ganked or zerged.   (Ah, yes, pre-flag UO.  Man that sucked, I quit very early on.)

2.  Sense of progression.   So you can't go back and gank PvE content 50 levels under you...   Oh well.    However, you do have more skills and abilities and better gear.  Those do go with you.   Trust me, when go back to a zone you're 20 levels better than, despite the scaling, you're much more capable and powerful.

Linear leveling.   This one is a bit of a laugh for me.   In MMOs that require much more experience to go from Level 50 to 51 compared to from 20 to 21 give you more XP a kill.   Yes, you need 10x the XP.   You're earning 10x the XP per kill/quest.    May as well get rid of the false sense of accompishment and just flatten the curve.   Which, with the other concepts of the game, makes a TON OF SENSE (scaling).

3.  So the under-10% who raid make end game?   Dude, raiding=end-game is the other big Myth.   Bizzard, the king of raiding games, routinely releases reports and stats on raiding.  It's under 10% of the population.  Why should we give frack about this arguement when it's one-in-ten-gamers.   Especially as raiding is more about pointless gear grinds and filling up boredom hours for those who, somehow, can't manage to find something else productive to do in the game...   Which the 90% can...

Let me put it like this:  ROLE-PLAYERS (and I'm not one) are more important for long-term MMO health than raiders or PvPers.   People look down their nose at them.   But they, along with crafters and socializers, build the communities that bind the social ties that bind us to the game.  

4.  Tradional roles.   An appeal to tradition is just a logical fallacy. 

Appeal to Tradition is a fallacy that occurs when it is assumed that something is better or correct simply because it is older, traditional, or "always has been done." This sort of "reasoning" has the following form:

1. X is old or traditional
    2. Therefore X is correct or better.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because the age of something does not automatically make it correct or better than something newer. This is made quite obvious by the following example: The theory that witches and demons cause disease is far older than the theory that microrganisms cause diseases. Therefore, the theory about witches and demons must be true.

Personally, I enjoy the novelty of the new classes.   I would prefer a pure-skill based MMO.  Where you made builds from pools of skills and mixed and matched them to suit what you wanted to do.  TSW does something like that.   Some other MMOs as well.    But just because I prefer it doesn't make GW2, or WoW, or SWTOR or any other MMO wrong OR RIGHT.   In this area all you presented was an opinion, not an argument based on a coherent set of facts.

And, yes, I tank and I heal.   Healing sucks.   It's dull.  You keep casting the same spells on the tank with occasional pops to some clown DPSer who can't manage his DPS and causing aggro issues.

5.  So?   The boosts drop.   They not that special.   I got a combat XP boost and a good 75% of the time it was active, I wasn't in combat.    I also got a magic boost.   I did get a green.  But I've gotten greens without it and it may been because I beat a field boss.

That leaves us with what?   Dye?   You can craft unidentified dyes it through the 'chef' trade.   Outfits?  Ok...  I will be buying the Pirate Outfit.  Of that you can be sure...   But other than that... meh...

Originally posted by tordurbar

Op hit the nail on the head. When the player numbers start dropping return to this thread for some of the reasons.

I am glad that there are a few fanbois that realize the GW2 is not for everyone. It is a fantastic game but if you are a player that likes traditional mmos (WOW, Rift, SWTOR, etc.) you will probably not going to stay with GW2 long term. The good news for the fanbois is that the remaining audience will be just what they were looking for.

Could you please link to the horde (the opposite of your 'few') of fanboys to whom you refer?  Oh wait, these hordes don't exist except in your imagination.   Never mind...

Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Yes, GW2 is a bit different from your typical MMORPG, but it's not different enough. That's why many won't like GW2.  ( I can already feel the glare of certain members typing furiously as they've read this).

By not different enough, I mean that, while the format is different, the content is the same. Yes, instead of having NPCs with a " ! " above their heads, everything is more "dynamic", the content of the dynamic event isn't actually all that different from the quests you'd get from an NPC. I guess you have a progression bar instead of a clear amount of kill/fetch/colllect numbers, but really, it's not something I'd consider to be different enough to interest players looking for something that's really different. At best they'll enjoy the honeymoon phase, but come back to reality quickly, as was the case for me. 

The first time's really fun. Just walking around and suddenly an event appears. It's fun, it's somewhat unexpected, you've got all these players joining in. Event's over, you resume to your activity and eventually another event pops out nearby. You clear it, everything's fun. But the pattern becomes increasingly more obvious, repetition starts to kick in, and considering we've done these very same type of quests/objectives for years and years already (Defend this NPC and kill the monsters along the way, there's an invasion  so go kill them!, etc) the novelty wears off very quickly and what initially seemed to be different really doesn't look all that different already.

The combat is basically the same as your typical MMORPG. You're still getting shot by heat-seeking projectiles until the end of he Earth. Individually, the skills are interesting, it's fun to play with the various gimmicks, but the very limiting nature of the Weapon Skill system breaks the fun and feels restricting. From my personal experience, I've always found only 2-3 of the skills I liked for each group of weapons, and of course they can't be changed. Yes you can change your non-weapon skills at will (provided you spent points in them) but having 5 of your "main" skills locked by your choice of weapon was quite a downer for me, especially when you only like half of them, but the weapons are necessary for the way you want to play. In that regard, I much preferred GW1's take on the skill system even though you couldn't change them unless you were in town.

I also felt restricted a lot in my many attempts at explorations. I had somewhat high expectations on this regard in particular, especially given players feedback. I'd see some areas that would catch my eyes and I wanted to check them out. I'd reach the area, try to climb from somewhere that seemed possible to climb only to be prevented by the blocky textures they have. I call them blocky textures because I'm not entirely sure how to call them, but it's when there's an invisible part that goes beyond the texture and jumping on that texture may push you on the side of make you appear as if you're floating in the air. In GW2's case it was mostly the former.  That tree with floating parts in the Sylvari area (forgot the name of the tree) is a great example of this, you can definitively climb it, and I've done it, but the blocky textures are soooo freaking annoying that it really takes out from the game and exploration.

These are the reasons why I think many players might not like what GW2 offers, even if it's a genre they like.

Hugely subjective posts like this are why I made this thread. You offer nothing substanative in here. Things like "not different enough" (I happen to think you just plain wrong) is far too subjective for it to be of value to the majority of readers. I concentrated specifically on things I could point to a yes its there, or no its not, like OPvP.

The most hilarious thing is that there are essay-length posts arguing why GW2 is too similar to the WoW model, and there are essay-length posts arguing why GW2 is too different from the WoW model :).

And one got snippy with the other.    I found that hilarious. 

Originally posted by CcDohl
    Originally posted by Purgatus I don't mind ambushing and the like, its the fighting another player 20 levels below you that I hate. It's sad and pathetic.

However, there is one glorious thing that OPvP offers, and that is the uncertainty of the next confrontation. Not knowing when a fight could happen and could die at any minute is pretty awesome. GW2 does not really have that. When you PvP, its because you chose to and that takes something away from the experience.

Why do people always say that about open world pvp? Why must ganking be seen as indicative of some personal flaw in the ganker? It's this kind of impotent crying that the ganked party uses to comfort itself, which I would hope that most grow out of by the time they hit max level. "Oh, he ganked me, he must live in his mother's basement," No, son, he ganked you because it's a pvp server and that's what happens. It's not sad or pathetic; it's just part of the game.

My bet is that you'll say something similar about players in GW2 who beat you consistently. Oh, he only beats me all the time because he plays all day or he always brings friends or he uses the terrain in an interesting way. It's just the mindset of a sore loser.

In addition, that view of ganking totally contradicts your positives in an opvp game. Power imbalance is one of the biggest parts of the unpredictability of world pvp. Some of the most fun I have had is with several low level characters trying to take on a higher level one, or even beating an enemy in pvp when outmatched. Sure, it is rare that you can deal with a ganker on your own, but there are always solutions to any pvp problem, and it usually involves more pvp.

Yeahl....  But it doesn't really work like that.   It's almost always like a bunch of high schoolers going to a pre-school and curb-stomping the kidlets then telling each other how manly they are only to flee at the first sign the tables are turned.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    *snip*

1. "Great Open World PvP" is one of the two biggest myths out there ( the other is end-game = raiding).   In mixed (PVE/PVP) worlds, very few people engage in any sort of constant 'flag on' open-world PvP.  Mostly they stay 'flag-off' move to a ganking area then go flag on when some poor schulb who forgot to turn off his flag passes by.    On the PvP server open world PvP games...    It's pretty much more griefers and gankers most of whom will log rather than face a superior foe.   Sometimes you get huge blobs/zergs as everyone runs around in packs because they'll otherwise get griefed, ganked or zerged.   (Ah, yes, pre-flag UO.  Man that sucked, I quit very early on.)

2.  Sense of progression.   So you can't go back and gank PvE content 50 levels under you...   Oh well.    However, you do have more skills and abilities and better gear.  Those do go with you.   Trust me, when go back to a zone you're 20 levels better than, despite the scaling, you're much more capable and powerful.

Linear leveling.   This one is a bit of a laugh for me.   In MMOs that require much more experience to go from Level 50 to 51 compared to from 20 to 21 give you more XP a kill.   Yes, you need 10x the XP.   You're earning 10x the XP per kill/quest.    May as well get rid of the false sense of accompishment and just flatten the curve.   Which, with the other concepts of the game, makes a TON OF SENSE (scaling).

3.  So the under-10% who raid make end game?   Dude, raiding=end-game is the other big Myth.   Bizzard, the king of raiding games, routinely releases reports and stats on raiding.  It's under 10% of the population.  Why should we give frack about this arguement when it's one-in-ten-gamers.   Especially as raiding is more about pointless gear grinds and filling up boredom hours for those who, somehow, can't manage to find something else productive to do in the game...   Which the 90% can...

Let me put it like this:  ROLE-PLAYERS (and I'm not one) are more important for long-term MMO health than raiders or PvPers.   People look down their nose at them.   But they, along with crafters and socializers, build the communities that bind the social ties that bind us to the game.  

Appeal to Tradition is a fallacy that occurs when it is assumed that something is better or correct simply because it is older, traditional, or "always has been done." This sort of "reasoning" has the following form:

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because the age of something does not automatically make it correct or better than something newer. This is made quite obvious by the following example: The theory that witches and demons cause disease is far older than the theory that microrganisms cause diseases. Therefore, the theory about witches and demons must be true.

Personally, I enjoy the novelty of the new classes.   I would prefer a pure-skill based MMO.  Where you made builds from pools of skills and mixed and matched them to suit what you wanted to do.  TSW does something like that.   Some other MMOs as well.    But just because I prefer it doesn't make GW2, or WoW, or SWTOR or any other MMO wrong OR RIGHT.   In this area all you presented was an opinion, not an argument based on a coherent set of facts.

And, yes, I tank and I heal.   Healing sucks.   It's dull.  You keep casting the same spells on the tank with occasional pops to some clown DPSer who can't manage his DPS and causing aggro issues.

5.  So?   The boosts drop.   They not that special.   I got a combat XP boost and a good 75% of the time it was active, I wasn't in combat.    I also got a magic boost.   I did get a green.  But I've gotten greens without it and it may been because I beat a field boss.

That leaves us with what?   Dye?   You can craft unidentified dyes it through the 'chef' trade.   Outfits?  Ok...  I will be buying the Pirate Outfit.  Of that you can be sure...   But other than that... meh...

You'd think from some of these responses that I'd spit in people faces.. :)

These points are not about right or wrong. Belive it or not, some players like OPvP, Healing, or an Exponetial Progression. Those that really like those systems may not like GW2. Simple. You have obviously made up your mind, but that does not mean that everyone will like it for the same reasons I do.

however,

"Linear leveling.   This one is a bit of a laugh for me.   In MMOs that require much more experience to go from Level 50 to 51 compared to from 20 to 21 give you more XP a kill.   Yes, you need 10x the XP.   You're earning 10x the XP per kill/quest.    May as well get rid of the false sense of accompishment and just flatten the curve.   Which, with the other concepts of the game, makes a TON OF SENSE (scaling)."

If you don't think that it takes longer in most MMo's to get from 30 - 31 than it does 10 - 11, you have a serious lack of experience, or understanding of the game concepts that have driven MMO's till now.

"But just because I prefer it doesn't make GW2, or WoW, or SWTOR or any other MMO wrong OR RIGHT.   In this area all you presented was an opinion, not an argument based on a coherent set of facts."

Again, I never claimed to be right. I just said that if you like these roles as they exist in other games, you will be disappointed with GW2 as they do not exist.

Originally posted by otinanai123
    Originally posted by enoch420
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Can I add some more?

reason 6: Downed state in PvP (a big part of the PvP community doesn't like that feature)

subjective many people love it

reason 7: Most people don't really care about cosmetic rewards

not true at all

reason 8: WvW is all about objectives and not about PvP (the same mistake WAR did)

not true is pretty balanced between the two

reason 9: Dynamic events aren't as fun when you are in a big zerg

subjective

reason 10: hearts discourage group play

not true at all

reason 11: many skills root you, for example the rangers 1h sword autoattack and almost all skills when you get transformed into an animal in a heart event(makes hearts even more annoying)

only class I haven't put much time in is ranger but no other class I have tried has many if any abilities that really root you. Combat is very mobile on every class I have tried..

Everything in red is invalid. Read this thread's title again:

5 reasons you may not Like GW2

Have to agree with Aero on this one. Some of the most fun I've had is when a big zerg starts up out of nowhere. I'd rather have cool looking weapons than one weapon with the most stats that everyone is trying to get...*cough* *cough* WoW.

Weapons do have different stats, but there isn't just one weapon that's better than all others. The transmutation stone is awesome, I'd rather see diversity, not a bunch of people with the same glowy red weapon because it has the highest stats. BTW I don't like running a dungeon 15x just at a chance of getting the weapon you want, then when you're about to get it you realize you don't have enough EP/GP and the weapon goes to someone with more. AAAAAAahhhhhgggg *pulls hair out*

A fanboy agreed with another fanboy? I'm shocked! 

But you didn't say anything but subjective personal opinions then got all offended by being called out.   You were wrong.  You were wrong again.  And now wrong.

You PERSONAL OPINIONS are SUBJECTIVE have no weight to anyone but you and those that share them.   You may as well pick a color and argue that GW2 will suck because too many Elementalists choose blue for their color scheme...  It makes as much sense, which is to say NONE AT ALL.

*snip*

You'd think from some of these responses that I'd spit in people faces.. :)

These points are not about right or wrong. Belive it or not, some players like OPvP, Healing, or an Exponetial Progression. Those that really like those systems may not like GW2. Simple. You have obviously made up your mind, but that does not mean that everyone will like it for the same reasons I do.

however,

"Linear leveling.   This one is a bit of a laugh for me.   In MMOs that require much more experience to go from Level 50 to 51 compared to from 20 to 21 give you more XP a kill.   Yes, you need 10x the XP.   You're earning 10x the XP per kill/quest.    May as well get rid of the false sense of accompishment and just flatten the curve.   Which, with the other concepts of the game, makes a TON OF SENSE (scaling)."

If you don't think that it takes longer in most MMo's to get from 30 - 31 than it does 10 - 11, you have a serious lack of experience, or understanding of the game concepts that have driven MMO's till now.

"But just because I prefer it doesn't make GW2, or WoW, or SWTOR or any other MMO wrong OR RIGHT.   In this area all you presented was an opinion, not an argument based on a coherent set of facts."

Again, I never claimed to be right. I just said that if you like these roles as they exist in other games, you will be disappointed with GW2 as they do not exist.

1.  I'm pointing out where not only where your opinions were subjective, but where apparant lack of understanding about MMO population dynamics and play styles makes you look sadly uniformed.   Your entire little rant, which I responded to politely, was a concern troll that the game isn't WoW.

No ****, it's not WoW.   People will like it or they won't based on the merits of the game and how it fills their needs.  It didn't need a huge, self-indulgent and conceptually wrong CONCERN TROLL thread by YOU to point that out. 

2.  No kidding.   Those are still the quick levels and are done that way in virutally every MMO I've ever played.    I picked the 20-21 split because that's the point where most MMOs start slowing down the curve till it takes on its new linear function.  

1-5 is faster than heck.  6-10 takes a bit longer.  11-15 longer still.  16-20 getting to regular progression, but still a bit quicker.   From there on, it's pretty much flat.   In LOTRO I can go from 60 to 75 in 14 days.   It takes that long to go from 20 to 35.   15 levels either way.    

In DDO the level's are constrained differently, but the concept is similar.  

In Fallen Earth it took no time at all to hit level 5, a bit more time to 10.   It started to dramatically slow down at 15 and remained pretty flat in Real World Time Per Level.  

SWTOR...   Same thing...  1-10 was quick.   Then it was the capital world and level 16  (6 levels in 4 zones).   Then it was 4 levels/4 zones a planet till you finished the first book at right around level 32.   Each planet took the same amount of time.  Ergo, so did each group of four levels.

Why do I know this?   I'm an accountant.   These kind of mechanical, spreadsheet aspects of games are interesting to me beyond the mere playing the game.  SO I PAY ATTENTION TO THEM IN DETAIL.    And when the subject comes up, I get the side benefit of  knowing who's talking out their butt, and who's not.

3.  Implicit, unstated argument was clear.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342
    *snip*

You have failed completely to grasp the purpose of this post. Please return when you are free of your self-righteous attitude.

• NateEssexNateEssex Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Originally posted by TemperHoof

Partner healing still exists in Guild Wars 2, just the way to do is really different.

For instance, if you wanna heal and ally as an Elementalist you have some options. Lets say your friend is within range and is hurting bad!

With Arcane Evasion on, you can switch to Water Attunement and dodge toward your ally. By landing on your alley, you will produce a heal at his feet. Follow up by using your Glyph of Harmony -- you will share the Regeneration with your ally. If you spected Cantrips of Glyphs to share more Regeneration, pop additional utility to increase the heal and Regeneration duration.

Pop into Earth to give him/her Protection, then quickly switch back to Water again to produce another heal.

If you are using dagger, target your ally with Cone of Cold to give 2000+ heal.

Where would be a good place to read up on how you could "try" to play a healer?

Current: GW2 (almost)
    Played: EQ, DAoC,EQOA,Shadowbane,WoW, WAR, SWTOR, TSW

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111

6. Graphics from 2004

Let's be honest: the game is pretty ugly. If you're a gfx snob the game is a huge turnoff compared to other mmos like TSW, Rift, Lotro, Tera etc.  While some of the character models are well done and have nice animations (Asura, Charr) the humans look absolutely horrible. The Norn in particular look like EQ1 models. Nothing ground breaking or envelope pushing here...the game is launching with DirectX 9 (again, tech from 2004). Even WoW upgraded to DX11 with Cataclysm. 

Obviously this doesn't have a huge impact on gameplay. But the worrisome thing is a lot of the progression in GW2 revolves around cosmetics...yet the game fails big time in the visual department. 

• GellorruthGellorruth Member Posts: 14
    I aggre with the open world PVP thing, it can be unfair depending on what time you would be playing. Say you're in the US and it's 1am, not many americans would paly at that hour. Asians tead to stick in one server, so it might be a unfairfight.

Enter the world of Magic Earth, dragona.sc.gameclub.com

• UrkoUrko Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I haven't done much research on the character building that you will do as you level.  I played beta to lvl 10 and wasn't completely clear on the skills/traits stuff.  I assume those are the big motivating factor to level (other than PvP and I don't really care about that).  Assuming you continue to build your character all the way to the level max that sounds fine and won't be a problem.  Although if you have everything before lvl 80 that could be a problem.

I would add the cartoon fantasy setting to the list of possible dislikes for many people.  If you are burnt out on WoW this setting isn't likely to be different enough to not be annoying (excluding lore of course).

"I would add the cartoon fantasy setting to the list of possible dislikes for many people.  If you are burnt out on WoW this setting isn't likely to be different enough to not be annoying (excluding lore of course)."
    I tried SWTOR and TSW after 6 years of WoW trying to get away from fantasy, neither really did it for me.
    Ill take a chance on fantasy again if its reasonably "fresh" fantasy

• darkbamydarkbamy Member UncommonPosts: 111

kinda funny.....

when an mmo is a themepark

''oh im not gonna play this cause its you know...like well...a themepark''

if a game is not a themepark

''oh hell no i aint gonna play something like that''

trolls be trolls >_<

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by Izik

6. Graphics from 2004

Let's be honest: the game is pretty ugly. If you're a gfx snob the game is a huge turnoff compared to other mmos like TSW, Rift, Lotro, Tera etc.  While some of the character models are well done and have nice animations (Asura, Charr) the humans look absolutely horrible. The Norn in particular look like EQ1 models. Nothing ground breaking or envelope pushing here...the game is launching with DirectX 9 (again, tech from 2004). Even WoW upgraded to DX11 with Cataclysm. 

Obviously this doesn't have a huge impact on gameplay. But the worrisome thing is a lot of the progression in GW2 revolves around cosmetics...yet the game fails big time in the visual department. 

I'm sorry but ...

1. You need to upgrade your Pentium 2 Computer and also adjust the settings ingame for the best graphics you can experience.

2. 3 posts in 8 years tend to make me believe you may be trolling.

Read this Fact closely: "GW2 graphics in DX9 are FAR superior than WoW Graphics in DX11!"

Now, waiting on your argument that WoW has different style of graphics which would make your whole comment a contradiction.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    blizzards engine anyways is just bad considering they graphics are inferior to anything past eq. Its funny on max settings in wow i get like 30 frames per a second with 6 cores over clocked to 4.3 and 2 6970s . In guild wars 2 I max everything now that they loaded the gpu and get like 80-100. The fans at blizzard really do not in no means get their moneys worth in that game. I remember in almost every expansion in eq1 and even in eq2 SOE would update textures and graphics adding in things like bloom etc on top of a full expansion . Blizzard uses the same old terrain kit and throws up a few raids and levels and calls it a full expansion . Well minus cata as they actually did redo the world and added in some sunshafts and bloom.
    Originally posted by Jessina

I'm sorry but ...

1. You need to upgrade your Pentium 2 Computer and also adjust the settings ingame for the best graphics you can experience.

2. 3 posts in 8 years tend to make me believe you may be trolling.

Read this Fact closely: "GW2 graphics in DX9 are FAR superior than WoW Graphics in DX11!"

Now, waiting on your argument that WoW has different style of graphics which would make your whole comment a contradiction.

Did I say WoW graphics are better than GW2? No. I said WoW upgraded their tech to current standards, whereas GW2 is entering the market in 2012 with tech from 2004. Reading comprehension ftw.

Also, don't assume what I am or what I'm not running in my rig. Just makes you look like an ignorant fanboi. 

I'm not trolling - I'm expressing a concern that I have with the game. I actually like GW2 and plan to play it, but compared to a lot of recent releases the game is severly lacking in the visual department. Thus, it can easily be a reason why somone won't like the game.

Originally posted by cronius77
    blizzards engine anyways is just bad considering they graphics are inferior to anything past eq. Its funny on max settings in wow i get like 30 frames per a second with 6 cores over clocked to 4.3 and 2 6970s . In guild wars 2 I max everything now that they loaded the gpu and get like 80-100. The fans at blizzard really do not in no means get their moneys worth in that game. I remember in almost every expansion in eq1 and even in eq2 SOE would update textures and graphics adding in things like bloom etc on top of a full expansion . Blizzard uses the same old terrain kit and throws up a few raids and levels and calls it a full expansion . Well minus cata as they actually did redo the world and added in some sunshafts and bloom.

WoW will run at 120fps (the max refresh for most monitors btw) on a system with hardware half that powerful. Don't spread lies to make a point.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

So, anyone familiar with my name around these parts knows that I am a die-hard fan of GW2. I think its the best MMO I've ever played. But no game is completely without problems, and no game can appeal to everyone. I've seen a lot of vitriolic threads about what GW2 does wrong, or how GW2 sucks because it lacks feature X or Y. I thought I would post some of the reasons I feel some players will not like GW2 from the opposite perspective.

So without further Delay...(and In no particular order)

Reason #1 - No Open World PvP and no Real PvP where the players have something substantial at risk.  Like being forced out of a Planes raid in EQ1 or the loss of a City in Shadowbane.

Reason #2 - Sense of progression and no sense of accomplishment.  The amount of time and effort spent building your character is laughable.  It feels cheap but when you design a game to homogenize everything and remove fundemtenal game elements I guess you aren't left with a lot to have people progress through.

Reason #3 - No Traditional Endgame and no systems to allow the players to change the world or build there own conent through conflict.  It is simple a Themepark with an Express lane to 80 and too few rides.  So at 80 they tell you go ride the Tea Cups again because they don't have anymore Rollercoasters.

Reason #4 - Some Traditional Roles are Gone and so is traditonal grouping, team building, etc.   Dynamice Events are a sad state,  you win by zerging content with little reason to waste time even coordinating with others.   Run around heal the fallen, DPS, Run around and then when a mile away your screen erupts in sparkles announcing what Hero you are by defeating the evil Overlord when you weren't even there to see he go down.   The roles being gone seems like throwing a bone to the casual players better suited for Single Player RPGs, they couldn't be bothered to form a group or guild so lets just make the game so easy you don't need that level of coordination... The game does offers some clever spread of effects across weapon types and spells but at the end of the day it feels like the it was desgined for folks that couldn't handle the complexity and social skills of older MMOs.

Reason #5 - Cash Shop and what more can I say.  A shop where you can buy power for your character instead of earning it by playing.  LOL  its not like the game was hard or anything, geez  you can max your character out in less than week.   

I am hoping that the game is wildy successful and helps segregate the MMO population,  then maybe we can get an MMO designed exactly the opposite for those of us that want a modern MMO that leans towards the old School core systems and less towards the the new solo play, easy mode, casual, cash shop, no challenge , win by showing up, craptastic MMOs that are all the rage nowdays.

• ajayazirajayazir Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by rutaq

I am hoping that the game is wildy successful and helps segregate the MMO population,  then maybe we can get an MMO designed exactly the opposite for those of us that want a modern MMO that leans towards the old School core systems and less towards the the new solo play, easy mode, casual, cash shop, no challenge , win by showing up, craptastic MMOs that are all the rage nowdays.

This! Sadly it probably won't happen anytime soon (for example - I wish someone would take out mounts and fast travel out!), easy mode is pretty much the only way new titles will get a cut out of the MMO pie.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by Izik

6. Graphics from 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbWn6740JOg

I hope that explains it for you.

Also I disagree 100% with all you said. the Graphics of GW2 are quite nice, both technically and artistically and I do not care what DX they use as long as they get such results.

I played TSW, Rift and LOTRO, so I know what graphics those have too.

Of course the "Norn look like EQ1 models" makes me thing you are just trolling, but there you go. I got you some evidence and technical facts about the graphics, if you want to continue the discussion, the ball is in your field.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"