Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 reasons you may not Like GW2 (as read by a GW2 Fanboi)

Comments

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by expendable83
    [mod edit]

/facepalm

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265

Can I add some more?

reason 6: Downed state in PvP (a big part of the PvP community doesn't like that feature)

reason 7: Most people don't really care about cosmetic rewards

reason 8: WvW is all about objectives and not about PvP (the same mistake WAR did)

reason 9: Dynamic events aren't as fun when you are in a big zerg

reason 10: hearts discourage group play

reason 11: many skills root you, for example the rangers 1h sword autoattack and almost all skills when you get transformed into an animal in a heart event(makes hearts even more annoying)

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342
    Originally posted by enoch420
    *snip

The Mists is open world PvP in which you can level from 1-80. Progression is fine the way it is. In WoW they made it harder and harder to reach the next level. I didn't feel accomplished when I got to the next level but rather relieved and then daunted by the fact that it was gonna take even longer to get to the next level. Let's keep WoW as the example because that's where I spent the most of my MMO time. From 79 to 80 it took way too long, the time went up more and more after this. The majority of the quests to get to the next level where generic gather quests that didn't change the world in any way. This to me was extremely annoying. I'm glad that it now takes roughly the same time for each level in GW 2. Also, I didn't feel powerful or better because I could go pwn low levels, in fact I never bothered fighting lower levels. I see WoW as gear based, and GW 2 as skill based. Raiding in WoW was all about sectioned fighting. Ranged DPS stood in certain places, tanks and off tanks tanked the bosses. Melee DPS stood behind bosses. Healers stayed at range. Bosses didn't level up based on the amount of players fighting the boss like they do in GW 2. In fact bosses use more skills if there are more people fighting them. In WoW you can't be challenged when running through Deadmines, unless it's Heroic. In GW 2 you can get gear for your current level even if you're doing content 40 levels lower than you because of the down leveling system. I think too many people coming from WoW ( like I did) are in the mindset that progression is about hardcore raiding and stats on gear. That's not progression, that's carrot chasing. If traditional endgame is what WoW offers, then I don't want to ever see "traditional" endgame ever again. It's gone from being about building community and having fun to elitist gearscore farmers. When I left WoW about a year ago, there was a wide gap between casual players and hardcore raiders, so much so that people would get kicked from groups and yelled at because they didn't understand boss fights or have a high enough gear score. I'm glad ANet is focused on building community and not elitists. Traditional roles are gone in that you don't have to be just one role. You can now play all roles with almost all classes, although an Ele and a Guardian would excel at group heals more than a Thief or Warrior would. Due to the fact I'm about to go to dinner, I won't comment on the cash shop other than it's good to support devs that give us a buy to play non subscription based game. GW 1 had it and it was fine.

Please for the love of everything holy use the enter key.... :)

You can make up your own mind if these will ruin your game, or exalt it. I can say for sure, however,  that some players will not like this game for some of these reasons.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by otinanai123

Can I add some more?

reason 6: Downed state in PvP (a big part of the PvP community doesn't like that feature)

subjective many people love it

not true at all

reason 8: WvW is all about objectives and not about PvP (the same mistake WAR did)

not true is pretty balanced between the two

subjective

not true at all

reason 11: many skills root you, for example the rangers 1h sword autoattack and almost all skills when you get transformed into an animal in a heart event(makes hearts even more annoying)

only class I haven't put much time in is ranger but no other class I have tried has many if any abilities that really root you. Combat is very mobile on every class I have tried..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Purgatus
    *snip

The Mists is open world PvP in which you can level from 1-80. Progression is fine the way it is. In WoW they made it harder and harder to reach the next level. I didn't feel accomplished when I got to the next level but rather relieved and then daunted by the fact that it was gonna take even longer to get to the next level. Let's keep WoW as the example because that's where I spent the most of my MMO time. From 79 to 80 it took way too long, the time went up more and more after this. The majority of the quests to get to the next level where generic gather quests that didn't change the world in any way. This to me was extremely annoying. I'm glad that it now takes roughly the same time for each level in GW 2. Also, I didn't feel powerful or better because I could go pwn low levels, in fact I never bothered fighting lower levels. I see WoW as gear based, and GW 2 as skill based. Raiding in WoW was all about sectioned fighting. Ranged DPS stood in certain places, tanks and off tanks tanked the bosses. Melee DPS stood behind bosses. Healers stayed at range. Bosses didn't level up based on the amount of players fighting the boss like they do in GW 2. In fact bosses use more skills if there are more people fighting them. In WoW you can't be challenged when running through Deadmines, unless it's Heroic. In GW 2 you can get gear for your current level even if you're doing content 40 levels lower than you because of the down leveling system. I think too many people coming from WoW ( like I did) are in the mindset that progression is about hardcore raiding and stats on gear. That's not progression, that's carrot chasing. If traditional endgame is what WoW offers, then I don't want to ever see "traditional" endgame ever again. It's gone from being about building community and having fun to elitist gearscore farmers. When I left WoW about a year ago, there was a wide gap between casual players and hardcore raiders, so much so that people would get kicked from groups and yelled at because they didn't understand boss fights or have a high enough gear score. I'm glad ANet is focused on building community and not elitists. Traditional roles are gone in that you don't have to be just one role. You can now play all roles with almost all classes, although an Ele and a Guardian would excel at group heals more than a Thief or Warrior would. Due to the fact I'm about to go to dinner, I won't comment on the cash shop other than it's good to support devs that give us a buy to play non subscription based game. GW 1 had it and it was fine.

Please for the love of everything holy use the enter key.... :)

You can make up your own mind if these will ruin your game, or exalt it. I can say for sure, however,  that some players will not like this game for some of these reasons.

My bad on the non enter key use. :*( Oh I know some people will not like the game for some of these reasons and some are already to that point. I was just trying my hand at a rebuttal. I know the OP is just looking at it from a different perpective, I just don't want people to totally base their ideas about the game based on what can be seen as a lot of negative coverage.

I love good games and I've been a hardcore gamer pretty much all my life and want people to at least give the game a try. I played WoW for 5+ years and I'm totally stoked for this game after two BWE's and a couple stress tests. :)

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Can I add some more?

not true at all

subjective

not true at all

only class I haven't put much time in is ranger but no other class I have tried has many if any abilities that really root you. Combat is very mobile on every class I have tried..

Everything in red is invalid. Read this thread's title again:

5 reasons you may not Like GW2

btw: do people really think they are being smart when they reply by writing "subjective"? EVERYTHING is subjective on this forum. Your replies have no substance.

btw: do people really think they are being smart when they reply by writing "subjective"? EVERYTHING is subjective on this forum. Your replies have no substance.

there is a difference between a subjective comment and straight up being untruthfull.. for instance someone could say combat is slow and clunky to them that would be a subjective comment. Then someone could say DEs are the exact same as Rifts zone invasions which is just not true.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

there is a difference between a subjective comment and straight up being untruthfull.. for instance someone could say combat is slow and clunky to them that would be a subjective comment. Then someone could say DEs are the exact same as Rifts zone invasions which is just not true.

You don't understand that replies like "subjective many people love it" actually say nothing at all?

Can I add some more?

not true at all

subjective

not true at all

Have to agree with Aero on this one. Some of the most fun I've had is when a big zerg starts up out of nowhere. I'd rather have cool looking weapons than one weapon with the most stats that everyone is trying to get...*cough* *cough* WoW.

Weapons do have different stats, but there isn't just one weapon that's better than all others. The transmutation stone is awesome, I'd rather see diversity, not a bunch of people with the same glowy red weapon because it has the highest stats. BTW I don't like running a dungeon 15x just at a chance of getting the weapon you want, then when you're about to get it you realize you don't have enough EP/GP and the weapon goes to someone with more. AAAAAAahhhhhgggg *pulls hair out*

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Problem is, not everything on a forum actually is subjective. To compound the issue, a lot of people word their statements in ways to make their subjective statement appear objective & factual. This isn't always deliberate, but it happens way too frequently either way.

I wouldn't take it too personally. With the amount of direct & indirect attacks this game gets on this site, can you really blame people for being quick to correct? There hasn't been a day on these forums where there aren't at least 3-6 threads flooded with new missinformation on this game.

• rafatalex007rafatalex007 Member Posts: 54

I am gona answer the OP with a simple line:

it's a diffrent kind of MMO, it's not and will not be WOW or AOC or RIFT or Tera and that kind of MMO.

and to answer everyone : Try it and if you dont like it don't buy it no one will shoot you.

It's a game not a life, why flaming about it that much, god i feel like you guys have nothing else to do, some willl love game and some will not, me and gona play the hell out of it, it may suck latter and it may last years, simply i dont care even if i play for 2 month that is enough for me, it's not a sub game so longtivity is'nt neccesery required, I magien you self play max payen you finshed the story or the core of it then that is it you may come latter to check multiplayer.

You don't understand that replies like "subjective many people love it" actually say nothing at all?

and so does your list of dislikes without putting any thought or context to the statments

Can I add some more?

not true at all

subjective

not true at all

Have to agree with Aero on this one. Some of the most fun I've had is when a big zerg starts up out of nowhere. I'd rather have cool looking weapons than one weapon with the most stats that everyone is trying to get...*cough* *cough* WoW.

Weapons do have different stats, but there isn't just one weapon that's better than all others. The transmutation stone is awesome, I'd rather see diversity, not a bunch of people with the same glowy red weapon because it has the highest stats. BTW I don't like running a dungeon 15x just at a chance of getting the weapon you want, then when you're about to get it you realize you don't have enough EP/GP and the weapon goes to someone with more. AAAAAAahhhhhgggg *pulls hair out*

A fanboy agreed with another fanboy? I'm shocked! 

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

No traditional healing is a big turn off for me as I always play the main healer for my pvp group.  Not saying I won't be playing, but it's the role I've always dominated at and enjoyed, going to be hard to readjust but the game is still plenty fun without the standard trinity.

The endgame for most of us will be pvp, not sure why you are saying no end game, it's Guild Wars, game is based around pvping.  Content for this game is pvp.  If you are looking for a pve game this isn't the game to look forward too because it's going to be highly based and balanced around pvp.

And like most pvp games, I give this a good couple months before the hype wears off and all the pver's go back to wow, because we all know those hardcore raiders and questers get owned by the real pvpers, with very few exceptions.

Not worried about cash shop unless they start adding must have items for pvp.  Never used a cash shop never will.

its funny because people who bash this game say things like 

"reason 6: Downed state in PvP (a big part of the PvP community doesn't like that feature)

reason 11: many skills root you, for example the rangers 1h sword autoattack and almost all skills when you get transformed into an animal in a heart event(makes hearts even more annoying"

very little information and no evidence to back up what they are saying or anything to discuss. People who enjoy the game... well just click on my sig link

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342
    Originally posted by rafatalex007

I am gona answer the OP with a simple line:

it's a diffrent kind of MMO, it's not and will not be WOW or AOC or RIFT or Tera and that kind of MMO.

and to answer everyone : Try it and if you dont like it don't buy it no one will shoot you.

It's a game not a life, why flaming about it that much, god i feel like you guys have nothing else to do, some willl love game and some will not, me and gona play the hell out of it, it may suck latter and it may last years, simply i dont care even if i play for 2 month that is enough for me, it's not a sub game so longtivity is'nt neccesery required, I magien you self play max payen you finshed the story or the core of it then that is it you may come latter to check multiplayer.

How is that an answer?

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    #6 GW2 is not a sandbox game
    Originally posted by laokoko

pretty much equates for 90% of the hate it gets on these forums

"reason 6: Downed state in PvP (a big part of the PvP community doesn't like that feature)

discussed to death. check page 1 or 2 for 2 huge-ass threads

no other popular mmo except gw1 relied only on cosmetic rewards as endgame. gw1 players will be a small minority in gw2. the rest may or may not like it.

this can't be explained to people who haven't played daoc or WAR extensively. It's like RvR without realm ranks.

this is my personal opinion but I've seen many people who agree on the internet. I am not alone for sure. The bigger the zerg gets the less fun DEs are. They mobs die too fast and you can't even see the bosses with all the spell effects.

I played with a friend in bwe3. We had to split up most of the time since always someone would be done with a heart first and they didn't want to wait.

reason 11: many skills root you, for example the rangers 1h sword autoattack and almost all skills when you get transformed into an animal in a heart event(makes hearts even more annoying"

This is fact. The stress test is still up go try a ranger with 1h sword and see for yourself. Also try doing the hearts that turn you into a leopard(norn starting area) or a tree (sylvari starting area)

very little information and no evidence to back up what they are saying or anything to discuss. People who enjoy the game... well just click on my sig link

no other popular mmo except gw1 relied only on cosmetic rewards as endgame. gw1 players will be a small minority in gw2. the rest may or may not like it.

this can't be explained to people who haven't played daoc or WAR extensively. It's like RvR without realm ranks.

this is my personal opinion but I've seen many people who agree on the internet. I am not alone for sure. The bigger the zerg gets the less fun DEs are. They mobs die too fast and you can't even see the bosses with all the spell effects.

I played with a friend in bwe3. We had to split up most of the time since always someone would be done with a heart first and they didn't want to wait.

This is fact. The stress test is still up go try a ranger with 1h sword and see for yourself. Also try doing the hearts that turn you into a leopard(norn starting area) or a tree (sylvari starting area)

see at least there you give examples on how you feel and some of your opinions to back up your statements

I'm a fan of the game. I agreed with Aero because she was right imo. I wasn't bashing you, I just happen to have an opinion about your post that resembles someone elses. So....football season is here....
  • laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

Exactly.  Yet no sandboxers diss GW2.  Go GW2 fanboi power!

Exactly.  Yet no sandboxers diss GW2.  Go GW2 fanboi power!

huh?

• TafaleTafale Member UncommonPosts: 37

Pretty much. If someone like raids then that is irrelevant for a person that is glad that raids are gone, and in reverse. Objectively both opinions are perfectly valid.

You can debate pros and cons for each side but that is also irrelevant for your preference (but it's important that you can openly agree on potential drawbacks of your preference and that applies for both sides).

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

It is a new feature with a lot of positive aspects. In case that it becomes a problem in PvP, ArenaNet will fix it. No need to freak out here at all.

In WoW a lot of players farmed outdated raids extensively, to get  rare mounts or old armor-sets. Blizzard earns a fortune with the cosmetic stuff one can buy in their shop.

They have a decent concept for WvW. It sounds great and most testers have been very pleased so far. Maybe it will fail for whatever reason. But we should thank ArenaNet, that they at least try to do something new and awesome. They give us exactly what players have been asking for the past couple of years. You are just embarrassing yourself.  

Yes, but this is a typical effect of limited beta-time and stress-tests. After release players will no longer concentrate in such amounts in the starter-areas, because they will level up. Pure logic.

Hearts are meant to give players some kind of orientation. You can leave them completely out, if you want to. There is so much stuff to do and you gain XP through a great variety of things. Moreover, there has never been an MMO that motivates the players to work togethat as GW2.

Combat in GW2 looks as dynamic as it can be. It is definately one of the faster-paced MMOs. Even TERA, which is the only MMO that is more action-oriented, has some skills that root you. However, combat in TERA is fantastic.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.