Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Forge: Face-Punchingly Good PVP

2»

Comments

• CullandCulland Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Yay another instanced match based pvp game.... so original. While I have no issue with match based PvP, I have a good time playing it, it is neither original or different then most every other recent MMO. Please, someone give us something new, interesting and original in regards to PvP.
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    At launch it doesn't sound like an mmo, post launch, if they can deliver on the persistent world territory aspects it'll be a good game. Glad it'll be b2p with minor cash shops. Sounds like it's more ambitious than fury as well.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Originally posted by xpiher
    At launch it doesn't sound like an mmo, post launch, if they can deliver on the persistent world territory aspects it'll be a good game. Glad it'll be b2p with minor cash shops. Sounds like it's more ambitious than fury as well.

I am one of the ones that bought and supported Fury, and I have to say that this looks very familiar.. Fury failed mainly because there was literally nothing to do outside of sitting around in queues all day so hopefully this game at least adds an aspect like GW1 where you can go out into a "quest" world from time to time..

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by DrakenZA

UO pvp > DOAC pvp

Anyone who disagrees wasnt around when UO was at its prime.

I have to disagree with that and I played UO extensively from release.  DAoC had a far better pvp climate and you had to depend on others.  Plus it had keep sieges, and Darkness Falls.  I seriously had far more fun pvping in DAoC.

Yes I had fun chasing reds in UO, but DAoC brought much better organized pvp.

As to Forge making it, pvpers just don't support these games for long.  Without pve, it will die a short death.  It is kind of a shame as it looks like they have looked at previous pvp games and avoided the big pitfalls others have made.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

So this is essentially a lobby based game with a max match size of 24 v 24. And this qualifies as a MMO how exactly?

Because it sounds to me like BF or CoD but with swords rather than guns, and theyre not MMO's either. Seems to me the Definition of MMO is being twisted to suit anyone who wants to rip off customers for a sub or cash shop these days.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

This game is not good for PVP, too many lock-on skills and no falling damage.

I also agree it needs both PVE and PVP.

• SethDroneSethDrone Member Posts: 5
    UO, AC, DAoC, DF..... = pvp.  Since when did instanced battlegrounds with no risk v reward become a pvp centric game??
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Forge will offer the five basic classes = mistake one.  I want them to do well, but at least take a look at the Shadowbane model - you don't need to do quests - that's a WoWish concept that burned into the younger developer brain.  And only five classes? 

Always ALWAYS ask yourselves when you develop a game like this, "what is it we are bringing to the table that everyone else hasn't done, or done better?"

Give xp for mob grinding, and offer a lot of class and race choices - and a reason why we'd fight the other guy in the first place.  Dark Age of Camelot did it right - I have yet to see anyone else even come close.  Shame there are so many korean grinder and WoW clones, no one attempts to clone the best PvP game to date.

• gene548gene548 Member Posts: 12
    Need a character creator x.x
  • jebediah80jebediah80 Member Posts: 10

pvp games like call of duty are so unsuccessful. mmo games like world of warcraft are so unsuccessful. 

forge is doomed to failure :) 

• coretestercoretester Member Posts: 64
    Lock-on skills? Auto-aim? This works like Counter-Strike. You put your aim ON a target and press. If he moves away you miss. If he moves behind cover you miss. It will only hit if he stays still and let you put your crosshair on him and pull the trigger. Like in counter-strike. Since when did you all become Quake pro's anyway? The aim doesn't randomly lock on people, nor do you have lock-on skills. what a load of bull.
  • lestuslestus Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by Adamai
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

On topic-

Forge.. Is simply designed from the ground up to have fun pounding on the face of your opponent in an FPS like fashion and in an awesome setting. Without having to go through mundane tasks to get to the fun part, if fun and balanced PVP is what you crave. The hidden beauty here is no items, like in an mmo, no gear ratings and therefore no gear discrepancies.

So skill is the deciding factor and a bit of actual luck sometimes (not dice related 'fake' luck) where even a new player might just do the right thing on happenstance and a veteran might slip up, giving up the fight to a new player without much skill yet, because there is no such thing as the veteran being out geared and just stomping on your face straight down. The advantage they will hold will be from tactically and/or strategically outplaying you. Which is awesome.

Being a team based match up game, it also allows a person with a busy evening schedule to jump on have a game or two in 8v8 smaller and possibly shorter matches and go to sleep satisfied and knowing they will not fall behind in gear from no-life gamers who drink red-bull by the buckets levelling 6 alts at the same time for 2 different games. Whilst a person who has a bit more time can jump on 24v24 or other matchups, delve bit deeper into creating certain team comps or more serious teams with friends etc and spend quite a bit of time polishing up their skills and working out team strategies. In that respect alone, very much like DOTA and FPS games.

Using quite a nice engine, in my opinion the best long standing engine - Unreal. This also provides a much better feel while in the game - as the freedom of movement and character feel is much more akin to UT titles and is leaps and bounds, above and beyond anything your guys latest mmos could ever offer you. Even the so called action mmo "Tera" doesn't come close to the freedom of movement in Forge.

The above is possibly the best point of weight toward this title should be viewed akin to other ESports and FPS games that fair bit more so, than DAoC, WAR, UO.

I am completely in support of the developers of this title. Looking forward to owning this gem of a title. Thanks to developers for taking the chances, thinking outside the box, and despit all the hardships, trudging on with what you, I and a lot of other PVPers believe to be a facesmashing hell'of'a'fun game.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Nice game, got to try it out for sure, this is finnaly a really new combat system and not just "modified old combat systems"
  • coretestercoretester Member Posts: 64
    great long post. fully agree. donate people!