Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Subscription Price Is A Joke

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
I've just gone to renew my subscription as my free month ran out today. To my shock, I realised it was priced at £11.49 ($17.94 as of the current exchange rate) for ONE month. Is it just me or does anybody else think that is a tad overpriced? Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the game, and even shelled out to pay for a couple of clothing items from the item store, but the price just seems ridiculous.

I was already considering whether or not to keep playing TSW as my main MMO, due to the fact that GW2 along with other hyped MMOs are coming out in the near future. I just can't see how the current subscription price can be justified. To be totally honest, I feel as though I've been playing a single player game with a chat box in ever since I began. There is hardly ANY needed interaction with other players outside of dungeons, which makes the place just feel barren. Everywhere I go, there is the OCCASIONAL 1-2 players running around, which hardly makes it feel like an MMO at all.

Meh, I'm not complaining about the fact that I bought the game, as I've enjoyed it so far, albeit not as much as I'd hoped, although I just can't justify having to pay so much for a month's subscription when there are other options out there.

Comments

• MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105
    I think you are mistaken.  My free trial just ended and my CC was hit for $14.99 + a 12 cent internatoinal fee... not sure what you are talking about.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Exchange rates can suck. Being Canadian I know that from experiance. Today... for me... times are good.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Airhead80Airhead80 Member Posts: 10

I have always thought MMO fees are generously priced. If a game can keep you entertained for months whilst only costing 8 or 9 quid it is unarguably good going. Costs nearly a months subscription to see the new Batman and that keeps you entertained for only a couple of hours. Same applies to console games: costing £40 or so when you can generally burn through most or even all the content in a months time.

That's just my logic, £11 or so is not expensive for what you get. It's simply a shock to the system because the majority are used to the standard £9 a month subs.

I never said FC weren't a bunch of greedy so and sos though!

user
  • minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Yeah, it is absolutely a joke how much entertainment I can get for a measly €15. :D
  • AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482
    well they will be going f2p (freemium) soon. Sales figures are to low to maintain current business model

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Aceundor
    well they will be going f2p (freemium) soon. Sales figures are to low to maintain current business model

No, they wont.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

How do you know the current subscription numbers?

Since a lot of users bought digital editions and TSW now being available on Steam.... physical box sales don't mean anything anymore these days.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by Airhead80

I have always thought MMO fees are generously priced. If a game can keep you entertained for months whilst only costing 8 or 9 quid it is unarguably good going. Costs nearly a months subscription to see the new Batman and that keeps you entertained for only a couple of hours. Same applies to console games: costing £40 or so when you can generally burn through most or even all the content in a months time.

That's just my logic, £11 or so is not expensive for what you get. It's simply a shock to the system because the majority are used to the standard £9 a month subs.

I never said FC weren't a bunch of greedy so and sos though!

HEY YoU leave Bruce out of this!

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Since a lot of users bought digital editions and TSW now being available on Steam.... physical box sales don't mean anything anymore these days.

The share fell 50% today on the Oslo Stock exchange. The current estimates is that they will have around 100.000 subscribers pr month. This is all related to a press statement from Funcom. 

http://www.funcom.com/investors/the_secret_world_update

The good news is that they all play on the same server so there will be no server merges. 

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Mishakai
    I think you are mistaken.  My free trial just ended and my CC was hit for $14.99 + a 12 cent internatoinal fee... not sure what you are talking about.

UK people are charged directly in UK pounds and at a rate that's a lot more than the dollar/pound exchange rate. Not sure why, as they didn't do the same thing with AoC.

Anyway, coincidentally, I just cancelled my TSW subscription about ten minutes ago. I paid for the first month just to take me up to the release of GW2 but come the 25th I'll be gone and I doubt I'll ever go back unless it goes F2P.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

You pay as much as others in Europe does with euro.

sucks not be american raight?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by JeroKane Originally posted by Aceundor well they will be going f2p (freemium) soon. Sales figures are to low to maintain current business model
    How do you know the current subscription numbers? Since a lot of users bought digital editions and TSW now being available on Steam.... physical box sales don't mean anything anymore these days.  
    The share fell 50% today on the Oslo Stock exchange. The current estimates is that they will have around 100.000 subscribers pr month. This is all related to a press statement from Funcom. 

http://www.funcom.com/investors/the_secret_world_update

The good news is that they all play on the same server so there will be no server merges. 

Where are these magical population estimates coming from?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Most sales being made are digital.

Aceundor is making something up.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Within 9 months this game will be f2p stamp it. I was right with SWTOR and even more doubted me then.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

If you have a credit card change your country to usa pay in dollars then switch your country back again.

I also think we have seen our last few subscription games F2P will become the norm soon and B2P. When wow closes its doors so will monthly subs.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

it is not on steam ? or am i mistaken? i searched it on steam .it is not there ?

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by FuryV
    To be totally honest, I feel as though I've been playing a single player game with a chat box in ever since I began. There is hardly ANY needed interaction with other players outside of dungeons, which makes the place just feel barren. Everywhere I go, there is the OCCASIONAL 1-2 players running around, which hardly makes it feel like an MMO at all.

Not sure what server you're playing on, but there's tons of people when I log on, even in the lower zones.

As for not getting an "MMO" experience... that may be true in your case, but that shouldn't be the determining factor for whether or not you are willing to pay a sub fee. The sub fee isn't for servers or anything like that, but simply for new content. If they actually do provide frequent content updates, then it's worth the $15/month. In your case - obviously - it costs a bit more, but I guess it's up to you to decide if the content updates are worth it or not.

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by FuryV
    I've just gone to renew my subscription as my free month ran out today. To my shock, I realised it was priced at £11.49 ($17.94 as of the current exchange rate) for ONE month. Is it just me or does anybody else think that is a tad overpriced? Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the game, and even shelled out to pay for a couple of clothing items from the item store, but the price just seems ridiculous.

Oh wow.

Definitely glad I cancelled well before the subscription kicked in now. And for some reason I don't recall seeing that figure mentioned when I registered & bought the game on the website as it breaks the £7.99/£8.99 price that is virtually the defacto subscription price for a AAA MMO sold in the UK. If I had I'd have definitely taken note since it breaks the £10 (thou shalt not pass) barrier.

Anything over £10 would have to be something pretty damn special in the first place and offer way more than the typical AAA, more particularly at endgame (not meaning PvP of which I couldn't care less).

Did any reviews mention this price at launch/pre launch?