Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A reminder to those who claim F2P means failure: F2P is NOT Free

2»

Comments

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230

actuall AoC never was F2P but freemium :)

just mentioning

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by dageeza

There is a huge difference in the freemium models used by subscription companies and true F2P..

F2P is free to play all classes and races and content with no limits on what you can accomplish if you are willing to work hard enough you wont have to pay a dime... 

Then we have freemium which is limited classes and races and in many of them limited content most of the dinosaurs doing this model are simply shooting for one last cash grab hoping that their game will catch a second wind in subscriptions, in most cases it wont work long term because their is many true F2P games out there..

Yeah freemium is used often as well. even on this site.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/4846/The-Best-Worst-of-2010.html

"BEST: The Freemium Model

Notice I didn’t write “F2P”. I think there’s a stark difference between F2P titles and those which are now adopting a sort of hybrid “Freemium” model a la Turbine’s DDO and LotRO"

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by rdrakken
    Originally posted by Calerxes

Can you download it and play it for free meaning without spending any money? I think yes is the answer I really don't see it any other way its that simple and Blizzards advertsising actually tells you its free to play until level 20 so thats even better. I've never seen a bunch of people try to make a mountain out of a mole hill like gamers with the whole free2play concept. All free2play means is you can download the client and play for free, thats it, pay2play means you have to pay to access the online service and buy2play means you have to pay for the client but you can access the service for free, and many companies now have the hybrid Freemium model which is a mixture of free2play and pay2play, simple really I hope that doesn't blow ya mind man!

So WoW is F2P. Rift is F2P.

I can download their clients and play for free.

Calling everything one thing really IS simple and makes the world easier to wrap my head around! its so much better than calling it what it is or going against what its advertised as. Take that homestyle soup for example. they CALL IT HOMESTYLE SO IT MUST BE!

Yep both WoW and Rift are free2play up to level 20 and they tell you so.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

So your whole post was to pretty much say everything sucks except GW2. It is yet to be seen if GW2 can survive as a "B2P."

If GW2 becomes as popular as WoW, who knows if their cash shop can support their operating costs. It costs Blizzard around $322 million a year in operating costs.

That's a pretty beefy amount to make off fluff items.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by laokoko
    Since I "hate" F2P.  I'll be like anyone on this forum, diss anything I don't like.  So obviously F2P means failure.

+1

I wouldnt mind true F2P. But the "Pay To Win" system of modern MMOs just suck royally.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    I like League of Legend's model for F2P and they rake in millions.
    Although they aren't a traditional  MMO.
    TF2 is F2P too!

Isn't Aion a F2P with fluff stuff in the CS?
    Despite what you don't like about Aion, their payment model seems decent.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Let's be clear. F2p does not mean failure. HOWEVER, a game that launches as a sub based game, then switches to f2p when subs decline is clearly failing. That is why they switched, because subs declined.  The move to f2p is not a sign of success, its an attempt to milk what money they can get. Some times they make enough to continue the game, but that doesn't change the basic dynamic that when the game went f2p it was failing and that is why it went f2p.
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Pay to Play (P2P) :   All games that require a subscription to have access to all the content.

Ex.  WOW

Pay to Win (P2W):   All games that have a cash shop or require microtransactions to access content.

Ex. GW2

Buy to Play (B2P):  All games that require the " Box " and expansions to be purchased.

Ex....  There are no games that use a B2P model

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Paradigm68
    Let's be clear. F2p does not mean failure. HOWEVER, a game that launches as a sub based game, then switches to f2p when subs decline is clearly failing. That is why they switched, because subs declined.  The move to f2p is not a sign of success, its an attempt to milk what money they can get. Some times they make enough to continue the game, but that doesn't change the basic dynamic that when the game went f2p it was failing and that is why it went f2p.

No . they move because they can make MORE money.

LOTRO wasn't a failure was a steady level of sub. They just want MORE success. Can't blame them.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by jusomdude

Seeing as how one of the largest gaming companies on the planet, Nexon is making most of their over 1 billion dollars a year in profits off of free games with shops...no, no it isnt...espeically when you take into account that some of those games top all but WoWs numbers in terms of players.

Throw on the makers of Atlantica Online that is making so much off their shops they are buying out companies or how Frogster made so much with Rune of Magic that it funded the making of TERA and MYTHOS...yeah.

BTW, that is Activision/Blizzards TOTAL operating costs, not WoWs operating costs.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by jusomdude

Seeing as how one of the largest gaming companies on the planet, Nexon is making most of their over 1 billion dollars a year in profits off of free games with shops...no, no it isnt.

Throw on the makers of Atlantica Online that is making so much off their shops they are buying out companies or how Frogster made so much with Rune of Magic that it funded the making of TERA and MYTHOS...yeah.

Atlantica Online was made by Ndoors who were bought out by Nexon in 2010.

http://mmohuts.com/news/nexon-buys-ndoors-interactive

Google is your friend. Information supplied by Atlantica Online player.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

A reminder to those who claim F2P means failure: F2P is NOT Free

Learned this on harder way. Unfortunatelly not by spending money. I wish i can regain my lost nerves.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

So, F2P does mean Free To Play. It does not mean Free To Play without restriction. There is a difference here, because your title is a little misleading.

Free 2 play means the game is free to play, not that part of the game is free to play and the rest is locked to subscriptions.

Subscribe to unlock = paytrap

Free to play means that the GAME IS FREE.

true. Thats why i prefer B2P and full  F2P over the hybrid freemium. I dont like to rent a game that i already bought full price (P2P). I support the company who lets me play their games for free (or sell me the box then the game is free forever as long as theres no pay to win and no subscription / rent.

Regarding the hybrid freemium models, Companies tend restrict everyone who is not paying a sub after going Freemium. If i bought the box i expect to have little to none game limitations because i bought the damn game at full price. They act like the box price doesnt mean anything when it means a lot.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Paradigm68

No . they move because they can make MORE money.

LOTRO wasn't a failure was a steady level of sub. They just want MORE success. Can't blame them.

They can only make more money on f2p by losing a certain amount of subscribers.  If what you said was right, no game would launch with a sub.