Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Button Mashing

NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

So, Ive been playing a thief in the last couple of beta tests..

In the first test i was spamming the 1 button as ive become accustom too doing that in many mmorpgs (and i like that) it gives a filler motion for when my abilities come off cool down or i gain enough initiative..

Then i noticed that its actually a toggle button lol, which turns the auto attack on and off. which kinda threw me abit.

So i guess the question here is, Is there anyway to emulate the method described in sentence one? im also guessing the fast toggling motion wouldn't be good?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Comments

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    It doesnot turn off your auto attack, if you pay close attention the 1st key have different attacks in one, the symbol changes with each attack. also this is not a game like WoW or others about 11111112111111311111211111141`11111112. This game has combos, different skills etc that you nneed to master

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• Originally posted by Nitth

So, Ive been playing a thief in the last couple of beta tests..

In the first test i was spamming the 1 button as ive become accustom too doing that in many mmorpgs (and i like that) it gives a filler motion for when my abilities come off cool down or i gain enough initiative..

Then i noticed that its actually a toggle button lol, which turns the auto attack on and off. which kinda threw me abit.

So i guess the question here is, Is there anyway to emulate the method described in sentence one? im also guessing the fast toggling motion wouldn't be good?

I believe what you're asking for is turning off the auto-fire feature and just using the #1 skill as you hit the button.  If you right-click on the skill it will toggle auto-fire off/on.  You can also change the auto-fire to be some other skill if you like.  I'm not sure if it's a permanent or even semi-permanent change though (didn't test it).

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    What's the purpose of auto attack in this game anyways?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Originally posted by bcbully

It's not really "auto attack" like you have in most MMORPG's where attacks are going off in the background that you don't control.  It's an "auto fire" for your #1 skill (or whatever skill you pick) so you don't have to keep pushing that button.  The #1 skill has no cooldown so it's typically the one you use the most.  Auto fire is strictly a convienence, not a built-in, uncontrollable game mechanic.  You're welcome to turn it off if you don't like using it.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Sixpax
    Originally posted by bcbully

It's not really "auto attack" like you have in most MMORPG's where attacks are going off in the background that you don't control.  It's an "auto fire" for your #1 skill (or whatever skill you pick) so you don't have to keep pushing that button.  The #1 skill has no cooldown so it's typically the one you use the most.  Auto fire is strictly a convienence, not a built-in, uncontrollable game mechanic.  You're welcome to turn it off if you don't like using it.

But you turn it on everytime you hit the button right? it's a toggle, or no?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

It's a toggle. You need to right click on the skill to toggle "auto-attack" on and you can right click again to turn it off.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Originally posted by bcbully

No, pushing the button is not a auto-fire toggle.  You have to right-click to turn it off, or you can right-click another skill to turn it on for that one (saw a video of someone setting their heal skill to auto-fire).

I didn't test it, so I'm not sure if toggling it off is permanent or not.  I would hope it would be or it would get tedious having to do it every time you attack.

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248

Last i knew, unless they changed it in the last beta or stress weekends, was that you turn it on and if you press 1 again it won't turn it off unless the mob is dead.  Right clicking was the only way to turn off the toggled #1 ability.  So mashing 1 has no effect what so ever you will still attack like someone who just toggled it. 

As for turning it off, right clicking the ability was your answer.  You will still only be as fast as the toggled player or slower if you are not quick enough with hitting #1.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Why I am a huge fan of XPadder and a 360 controller.

I hate buttton mashing. I work all day on a PC. Last thing I do when I go home and unwide playing a game is to work all night on a keyboard again lol

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• AdelbernAdelbern Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by BigCountry

Why I am a huge fan of XPadder and a 360 controller. I hate buttton mashing. I work all day on a PC. Last thing I do when I go home and unwide playing a game is to work all night on a keyboard again lol

Play FFXI, FFXIV, TERA all these games play better with a controller at least for me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Originally posted by cinos

In answer to the op: Yes you can.

Just ctrl+right click on the skill and it will turn off the auto fire.

You can then mash to your hearts content.

Also, if you you ctrl-right click a different skill #, that one will be the one that will stay toggled "on" once you hit it once.

So your options are:

1. Have the #1 skill be auto-fire once toggled (the game default)
    2.  Have NO skill be auto-fire toggle, which means you must bash the button each time you want to use the ability (you do this by ctrl-right clicking the #1 skill.  It has a visual cue as well so you can see if it is toggled on or off). 
    3. Set some other skill besides #1 to be the skill which auto-fires once toggled.  (You do this by ctrl-right clicking that other skill).
    OP, you are asking for #2.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

You can turn the auto-cast function on and off by control+right click.

Additionally there is an option to stop the auto-attack when you change targets.

The #1 skill is the equivalent to firing your gun with the left mouse button in FPS/TPS games - it is you basic attack and it is a good one. Others can be better if the circumstances are right, otherwise they can be worse.

Also, in GW2 any skill that has an animation will only start after the previous animation finishes - this means if you are in the middle of an auto cast #1 skill,pressing a skill that has an animation won't cast straight away (skills with no animations like shouts will cast).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478
    Originally posted by Adelbern
    Originally posted by BigCountry

Why I am a huge fan of XPadder and a 360 controller.

I hate buttton mashing. I work all day on a PC. Last thing I do when I go home and unwide playing a game is to work all night on a keyboard again lol

Play FFXI, FFXIV, TERA all these games play better with a controller at least for me.

Same. Once you get acustom to playing with the controller its ergo easier thats for sure.

Esp if your sitting on the counch feeding video into a 50" LCD TV. hehe

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Jagarid

Also, if you you ctrl-right click a different skill #, that one will be the one that will stay toggled "on" once you hit it once.

So your options are:

1. Have the #1 skill be auto-fire once toggled (the game default)
    2.  Have NO skill be auto-fire toggle, which means you must bash the button each time you want to use the ability (you do this by ctrl-right clicking the #1 skill.  It has a visual cue as well so you can see if it is toggled on or off). 
    3. Set some other skill besides #1 to be the skill which auto-fires once toggled.  (You do this by ctrl-right clicking that other skill).
    OP, you are asking for #2.

Maybe its wise to add these comments to your orriginal question OP, i think there are to many people that still dont know the little things like this that make the game almost perfect.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Not sure if I am correct to assum that this was meant as an Bait Thread.

It seems to come more often from the OP, or is it an illusion on my part.

Luckly, it seems to have no affect as everyone is actually posting real information in regards on how to turn on and off the auto attack.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Nice! thanks dude!

Edit: just tried it out then and it made my the game and class much more fun for me :)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Lucioon
    Not sure if I am correct to assum that this was meant as an Bait Thread.It seems to come more often from the OP, or is it an illusion on my part.Luckly, it seems to have no affect as everyone is actually posting real information in regards on how to turn on and off the auto attack.

...Take your tin foil hat off, i really just wanted to know the answer to my question...

Also, Name one thread that is a "bait" thread that i've written.