Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW 2 : Not really free (B2P)

Comments

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by laokoko
    Originally posted by dekou
    Originally posted by rykim86

I dont' need to buy character slots, bank slots, bag slots in other lame f2p games too.  I thought the point of b2p is we don't need to do things like that.  ok have a nice day.

Do you understand the difference between the development of a B2P game like Gw2 and a F2P game from Asia?  You obviously don't.

I'm asian so I know.  But I'm comparing it to the hybrid western games.  Aka lotro etc.  And dont' hate on the asian f2p games.  You just think it sucks and have low quality.  But the reality is the most profitable games besides wow are all asian f2p games which you guys probably never heard of.

Take a look at forbes top 10 most profitable games of 2010.  I'm sure the 2nd and 3rd you probalby never even heard of.

Why would we care about what's popular in Asia?

Anyway, what you're missing is that the bank slot expansions, etc. are really not needed in GW2. You get five bags by default. That's 100 slots + your first bag's 30 slots. If you buy two bag slots more you'll reach the maximum of seven bags. That'll increase your storage by 40 slots, or ~30%. It doesn't quadruple your storage like in many crappy F2P games.

Obviously I don't know what I'm talking about.  I actually need to play the game first to know if it get tedious without buying extra bag slots.

So all of you playing, you don't have "any problem" with running out of bag space quickly?  I heard some complaints on people in beta about running out of bag space quickly.

(ps, you guys started the talk about other f2p games first, and asians etc).

(ps another, I thought the default is main bag slot + 4 more), and you can buy 3 more slots with gems or cash not 2 more slots.  That's 50%-60% bigger bag?

Collectibles tab and the ability to post stuff on the tradepost from anywhere.  These 2 things clear bags all the time.  

Hover over Deposit All Collectibles.  Click.  All my mats go into their own little cubby holes.

Hover over junk I want to sell. Right Click.  Making money out in the field.

Glance over my inventory.  Mudda Fukin Spotless.  That is how clean that thing can get.

BOOYAKA!

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

That's quite lame.  You need to pay extra for bank slots, bag slots, character slots.

It's beginning to look like all those lame f2p games out there.

Diablo 3 looks like a pay 2 win games with real money auction house.

Where goes the buy 2 play model with no string attach.

ahahhahaahha. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

i play yo level 32 Necro and space wasnt even a problem, not even close (on sPvP is very easy to win 10 bags slots). do you know at least how GW2 slots space work?

character slots? nope, i dont need them i will have onlyh 2 characters, so if i could sell my 3 extra character slots will be perfect.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

OP: it's up to you if you buy the new content or not, you can keep playing what you bought already so it really IS B2P. 

And Anet already stated they realized that 1 every 1/2 year was too fast and also stated several times over the years they were thinking more in the direction of expansions and not new standalone games (campaigns) like it was in GW1 (except EotN).

Say they have an xpack 1x per year, there's several P2P games out there that have that same frequency of releasing xpacks, so in those P2P games you first buy the box for 50-60$ then you pay monthly 15$ and every year 30-50$ for an xpack which is a lot more if you convert it to monthly costs, and mostly for more of the same generic themepark games that imo are subpar.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

My only worry for this game, which I love already, is that with the super heavy reliance NCSoft have on it to become profitable that the fun will be squeezed out of it by an ever increasing cash shop.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

Sure but we are guaranteed to get content for that price, instead of paying and hoping for content. Besides you didn't have to buy the exp packs in GW1.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

if they developed in a single  month one map and it cost  £10  this is more than any other subscription mmo on the market  gives players for there £10 subscription   

Originally posted by Sideras

Sure but we are guaranteed to get content for that price, instead of paying and hoping for content. Besides you didn't have to buy the exp packs in GW1.

Do you people just repeat what you have heard the industry mouthpieces bleat out?

Already this shop has nothing to do with GW1's, it is already a lot heavier. They even changed the wording in their FAQ to allow it to be.

I love the game, I have pre purchased and will be playing, but the cash shop IS a worry right now. Especially with all the eyes of NCSoft on it to deliver them into profit.

I am ok with things as they are right *now*, mainly because I can seemingly play to achieve for whatever is in the shop, but I am watching things closely.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Anyone else amazed at how many lazy people there are that post about GW2 ?

There is a new thread almost every hour now created by someone who cannot be bothered to even look at the gw2.com faq.

Let alone take a few minutes to read about the game they think they know.

Ignorance is bliss right ?

Lolipops !

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Originally posted by p_c_sousa

That's quite lame.  You need to pay extra for bank slots, bag slots, character slots.

i play yo level 32 Necro and space wasnt even a problem, not even close (on sPvP is very easy to win 10 bags slots). do you know at least how GW2 slots space work?

character slots? nope, i dont need them i will have onlyh 2 characters, so if i could sell my 3 extra character slots will be perfect.

I don't know.  Your not level80 making you not very credible...

Ok just kidding with the sarcastic comment.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

People seem to forget that...

YOU CAN BUY THE "CASHSHOP" ITEMS

WITH IN-GAME CURRENCY TOO.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO PAY WITH

DOLLARS. KK?

THANKS

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Do you people just repeat what you have heard the industry mouthpieces bleat out?

Already this shop has nothing to do with GW1's, it is already a lot heavier. They even changed the wording in their FAQ to allow it to be.

I love the game, I have pre purchased and will be playing, but the cash shop IS a worry right now. Especially with all the eyes of NCSoft on it to deliver them into profit.

I am ok with things as they are right *now*, mainly because I can seemingly play to achieve for whatever is in the shop, but I am watching things closely.

I see your argument, but I'm still not worried.

The Gold>Gem and Gem>Gold system is what would counteract that IMO.  Guaranteed at launch, the game will be flooded with gems.  People are vastly underestimating the amount of people who will open their wallet, even slightly, to get some gems.    

So even if NCSoft forces ArenaNets hand to put content like dungeons in the shop (highly unlikely), you still wouldn't have to pay a dime to obtain it.

• sargey123sargey123 Member UncommonPosts: 102

Seriously ,if someone doesnt understand something,it doesnt mean you need to create TROLL TOPIC about it god. 

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

DOLLARS. KK?

THANKS

You seem to be forgetting that someone actually needs to pay with real dollars before you can buy the gems. As money does not seem to be a problem to get I doubt the market for gems will be to big, unless there is a big money drain down the line. I expect you have to pay quite a lot of gold for the gems. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Voiidiin

There is a new thread almost every hour now created by someone who cannot be bothered to even look at the gw2.com faq.

The person doesn't have English as his or fist language, Yet Comes to a community they feel comfortable with to ask a question or voice an opinion only to be mocked by said community that should be helping people.

Or are the rumours about bad gw2 communities that true?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• alf2oooalf2ooo Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Originally posted by p_c_sousa

I don't know.  Your not level80 making you not very credible...

Ok just kidding with the sarcastic comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zP8vZSkhro

Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Voiidiin

The person doesn't have English as his or fist language, Yet Comes to a community they feel comfortable with to ask a question or voice an opinion only to be mocked by said community that should be helping people.

Or are the rumours about bad gw2 communities true?

You dont need to be a rocket scientist to understand who really needs help and who is simply trying to troll, you for example are here only to discredit the GW2 community, may I ask you why since you are obviously playing another game?

• Grimrist000Grimrist000 Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by dekou
    Originally posted by rykim86

I dont' need to buy character slots, bank slots, bag slots in other lame f2p games too.  I thought the point of b2p is we don't need to do things like that.  ok have a nice day.

Do you understand the difference between the development of a B2P game like Gw2 and a F2P game from Asia?  You obviously don't.

I'm asian so I know.  But I'm comparing it to the hybrid western games.  Aka lotro etc.  And dont' hate on the asian f2p games.  You just think it sucks and have low quality.  But the reality is the most profitable games besides wow are all asian f2p games which you guys probably never heard of.

Take a look at forbes top 10 most profitable games of 2010.  I'm sure the 2nd and 3rd you probalby never even heard of.

Why would we care about what's popular in Asia?

Anyway, what you're missing is that the bank slot expansions, etc. are really not needed in GW2. You get five bags by default. That's 100 slots + your first bag's 30 slots. If you buy two bag slots more you'll reach the maximum of seven bags. That'll increase your storage by 40 slots, or ~30%. It doesn't quadruple your storage like in many crappy F2P games.

Obviously I don't know what I'm talking about.  I actually need to play the game first to know if it get tedious without buying extra bag slots.

So all of you playing, you don't have "any problem" with running out of bag space quickly?  I heard some complaints on people in beta about running out of bag space quickly.

(ps, you guys started the talk about other f2p games first, and asians etc).

(ps another, I thought the default is main bag slot + 4 more), and you can buy 3 more slots with gems or cash not 2 more slots.  That's 50%-60% bigger bag?

crafting materials don't take up ur bank space. instead, each kind of material has its own slot in the bank so u don't have to worry about crafting materials taking up the bulk of ur storage space. u can also send all of the crafting materials in ur bag straight to ur bank anywhere in the world in just a couple of clicks. additionally, u can salvage all the gear that u pick up that aren't very valuable into crafting materials as long as u have a salvage kit available. these and the ability to sell items in the auction house from anywhere(but with limitations) makes filling up ur bags actually a bit tough to do. 

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Lets seethe GW1 shop.

PvP item unlocks.

Skill packs unlocks.

mercenary hero unlocks.

Fire Imp summoning stone.

Any of those give greater advantages than anything in GW2 shop.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Lets seethe GW1 shop.

PvP item unlocks.

Skill packs unlocks.

mercenary hero unlocks.

Fire Imp summoning stone.

Any of those give greater advantages than anything in GW2 shop.

I didn't talk about 'advantages', I used the word 'heavier'.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Let's take a look at how much GW1 actually costs:

Release GW: Prophecies: April 28, 2005

Today: August 09, 2012

From and including: Thursday, 28. April 2005
    To and including: Thursday, 9. August 2012

It is 2661 days from the start date to the end date, end date included

Or 7 years, 3 months, 13 days including the end date
    = 87 Months
    Total Cost: 50*3 (Box Price for each chapter) + 30 (Box price for addon) =  180
    180/87 = 2,0689... ~= 2,1 Euro/Month

Damn, that's really expensive...

Edit: I bet GW2 will cost about the same.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I don't agree with the OP, but based upon my principles (F2P with CS or B2P, don't do BOTH) I won't be getting GW2.

However, isn't DLC for most games you see essentially CS anyway?

Which would probably make me a hypocrite but whatever, I have principles (even if they make no sense) dammit! :P

Based upon everything out there, GW2 is a B2P with an OPTIONAL CS.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by alf2ooo

Originally posted by Nitth  

Originally posted by Voiidiin Anyone else amazed at how many lazy people there are that post about GW2 ?   There is a new thread almost every hour now created by someone who cannot be bothered to even look at the gw2.com faq. Let alone take a few minutes to read about the game they think they know.   Ignorance is bliss right ?
      The person doesn't have English as his or fist language, Yet Comes to a community they feel comfortable with to ask a question or voice an opinion only to be mocked by said community that should be helping people. Or are the rumours about bad gw2 communities true?
    You dont need to be a rocket scientist to understand who really needs help and who is simply trying to troll, you for example are here only to discredit the GW2 community, may I ask you why since you are obviously playing another game?

Again with the all or nothing clause. I can play as many games as i wish or my wallet can support. Gw2 is a contender for purchase, Im just not sold on it yet.

Also, Don't pretend to know me, or accuse me of any ulterior "motives". I can put forward my options weather I own the product or not.

I'm sick of the hypercritical statements that come from all game camps that "your community is great" but bash "anyone that is not with us"

On topic:

In regards to the op: Just because you buy the box does not mean you will not be lured into spending more money on the product through gimics and other types of marketing to get your "full game experience" Thinking its going to be 'free' after purchase is only true for the strong willed.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Never said anything like that and never assumed I know you, read again what I wrote please, yet you didn't answer my question.
  • KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

DOLLARS. KK?

THANKS

Well this argument actually scares me because it could be used as an excuse for adding more "p2w" items in the store.

I'm not saying its going to happen since Anet is the "good guy" around right now but with Nexon-Ncsoft behind them I wouldnt be surprised.

Originally posted by alf2ooo
    Never said anything like that and never assumed I know you,

, you for example are here only to discredit the GW2 community,
    ^ accusation

read again what I wrote please, yet you didn't answer my question.
    I Answered your question. Go re read my response.

I don't have play any game exclusively, I could play for example: Guild wars 2 and Final Fantasy XIV at the same time.