Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To those who are not buying GW2

Comments

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

He is 107 year old Male from Shebat, ON, Canada.

Interesting...

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Kopogero

You are the hope for this genre ;)

Death to all theme and amusement parks!

Let our voices be heard that we want freedom of choice and meaningful purpose to play a MMORPG. There is no place for a themepark ride that quickly ends with rewards like text title, cosmetic armor and mounts that get replaced as expansions come by.

I would find it far more rewarding if I went to clean some toilets for $10 an hour until future sandboxes like Arche Age arrive.

Spoken by a 11 year+ MMORPG veteran.

Peace out~

Don't forget the "high end armor sets" that you can "grind for if you want to" but provide "no statistical advantage".

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Originally posted by the420kid
    you people arent gamers..  The defining characteristic of a gamer is that they game, not cry in forumns.  If you cant move to a new game and have some fun with it for a month or 2 then move to another game for more fun you arent a gamer.  You are apart of the new generation of newbs who think they need 1 game for the rest off there natural lives that suits every need and every whim whilst being open world sandbox much like back in the day when there was no content or end game just a world to explore ya super fun.. Get over yourselfs kids people game to have fun and if you cant have fun in a game like gw2 with a super smooth combat system 1000+ different skill builds then you are not a gamer your a lamer.

Yes I remember when I was 6-7 years old. I used to have fun in every single NES and SNES game avaliable. Fact is as my gaming experience grew I became more careful and picky on what I waste my time.

If you enjoy hopping on to new games every month that's good for you. There is no point for me playing something I've already played numerous times before with just different graphics and same formula.

I've played most NES, SNES, PSX games avaliable out there and since I got my hands on a PC and multiplayer gaming I refused to buy XBOX, Playstatiion 2 or Wii since and Im still thankful for that good decision.

And remember we are talking not about gaming in general, but about a specific genre within the gaming industry. It has the biggest potential for "gamers", but its been going downhill due to the reasons I stated in my previous replays.

This is where I am confused.  Did you single out GW2 strictly because it's the next big title that is not a sandbox? The reason I ask is that GW2 has the least amount of standard themepark elements in a major title that is not a sandbox.  If I'm wrong please list it.  There are tradeoffs such as Vanguard where you get an open world but are locked out of content as you level, trinity, static quest hubs , etc.

What makes you think Archeage will be any different? What tradeoffs are you hoping to find?

And, contrary to some, GW2 has an amazing amount of content for those that don't have the Mario Bros. complex image

Arche Age will be open world that will feature open world war that will impact the player economy in the open world. Players will have opportunity to own the land with properties for different purposes and hopefully a lot of player run quests.

Guild Wars 2 offers none of the above. For W v W v W the reward will be cosmetic armor and text title and with its model design more of those text titles and cosmetic armors will come with new content and expansions.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Sandbox players are really getting saucy nowadays. 
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

LMAO!!!

Boy oh boy.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

If I was a developer working for a company that the main objective is sales and $ generated:

"Would I develop a sandbox MMORPG that would require 2+ years of development, while I could deliver the themepark in less than a year"?

Well the choice is obviouss "pump more themeparks". If the formula works much better, why abandon it for sandbox? This will continue until players keep funding the themepark formula. I'm proud to be one of those who aren't for the sake of the genre.

I tend to respect everyone's opinion.

Sometimes I do get riled up and I can be passionate about something.

But this thought? that by NOT buying something you are some sort of Hero that is Sacrificing something for the Greater Good of the Genre(?)?

This is just too much.  Stop being delusional. You are not some high and mighty crusader fighting for a holy cause, you are just a fan hating on some game because you do not like it.

Also.

Development times.

UO (Sandbox) 2 years (started 1995, released 1997)

Everquest (theme park) 3 years (started 1996, released 1999)

EVE Online (sandbox) 3 years (approximately) (started 2000, maybe. No clear date but earliest news I could find was in 2000. Released 2003)

Shadowbane (sandbox) 3 years (approx) (started 2000, maybe. no clear date but same as EVE. Released 2003)

DAoC (Theme park) 2 years (started 1999, released 2001)

SWG (sandbox) 3 years (started 2000, released 2003)

Lineage II (Theme..... Sand? wut?) 3 years (started 2000, released 2003)

WoW (theme park) 5 years (started 1999, released 2004)

Darkfall (sandbox) 8 years.... ( :D) (started 2001, released 2009, not your typical development time)

WAR (theme park) 3 years (started 2005, released 2008. speaking of the Mythic version here)

Age of Conan (theme park) 3 years (started 2005, released 2008)

AION (theme park) 2-3 years (started 2006, released 2008 in Korea, 2009 in the West)

SW:TOR (theme park)  ??? (3-4 years) years (started ??? by 2008, Bioware announced it had "more content that all their games combined", released 2011)

Guild Wars 2 (Theme park) 5 years (started 2007, released 2012)

So looks to me that themepark or sandbox, development time is around 2-3 years. 5 if you want an exceptional game. 8 if you are reaaaaaallllllly slow.

Argument moot. next!

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Istavaan

So the OP is saying themeparks are killing MMO's but is a big advocate of WOW. haha

If you are a true sandbox mmo fan i don't see why you would even be playing wow.

That's what strikes me as odd, and why he comes off as not only condescending, but a total hypocrite.

Maybe he's trying to bait us, I can't say for sure, but to run around the forums, claiming sandbox styled MMOS are the only true MMO, while claiming that World of Warcraft, a THEMEPARK MMO is the greatest thing since sliced bread, just gives me a headache.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Sandbox players are really getting saucy nowadays. 

A sandbox player who loves WOW funnily enough.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by botrytis

Let our voices be heard that we want freedom of choice and meaningful purpose to play a MMORPG. There is no place for a themepark ride that quickly ends with rewards like text title, cosmetic armor and mounts that get replaced as expansions come by.

I would find it far more rewarding if I went to clean some toilets for $10 an hour until future sandboxes like Arche Age arrive.

Peace out~

Nice troll.

Thank you for being so open in your disgust - now please go back to cleaning toilets, actually don't.  I would be afraid they were not clean enough.

Archage is not a sandbox - it is a themepark with some sandbox elements. Again I will post....

Not quite....

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Derpybird

Out of some morbid curiosity, is this "death to all theme and amusement parks" including other recently released MMOs, or just "death to GW2"?

agree, Op loves to make threads about how WOW IS KINGZ

After calculations done WOW remains the #1 MMORPG

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358582

I like how far GW2 has come, but WOW is still the superior choice.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358805

Yes sadly, WOW is superior to the themepark genre. That's a fact and best possible choice until a well developed sandbox MMORPG arrives. So sadly, my choice as a MMORPG player is between a poorly, indie developed sandbox games with extremely small playerbase like Mortal Online, Xsyon or WOW.

I've tried and tried and tried to enjoy the themepark formula, but there is only as much one can try.

So you do you think that, in future posts on the subject, that instead of declaring:

"Death to all theme and amusement parks!"

that you might want to consider modifying your statement for clarity to something like:

"Death to all theme and amusement parks excluding WoW which I still play!"

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by jusomdude
    Originally posted by jusomdude
    Although I'm subbed to the sandbox antichrist (WoW) I'm not buying GW2. Doesn't seem like a new enough experience to warrant it. Anyways, here here!

Which begs the question as to why you spend so much time in the GW2 forums.

I think I whent over this with you before... I never step foot in the GW2 forums... GW2 threads are all I ever see on the ticker. So I participate in them.

You're in the GW2 forums.

which he gave a good explanation for, now quit attacking people with different opinions with anything else then our rock solid arguments.

people that never played GW2, and cant think out of the box, will never understand how different the game is.

I like GW2 but I would have to disagree with you. A lot of people would say the same to you... You can't see just how similar it really is....

Originally posted by Volkmar

If I was a developer working for a company that the main objective is sales and $ generated:

"Would I develop a sandbox MMORPG that would require 2+ years of development, while I could deliver the themepark in less than a year"?

Well the choice is obviouss "pump more themeparks". If the formula works much better, why abandon it for sandbox? This will continue until players keep funding the themepark formula. I'm proud to be one of those who aren't for the sake of the genre.

I tend to respect everyone's opinion.

Sometimes I do get riled up and I can be passionate about something.

But this thought? that by NOT buying something you are some sort of Hero that is Sacrificing something for the Greater Good of the Genre(?)?

This is just too much.  Stop being delusional. You are not some high and mighty crusader fighting for a holy cause, you are just a fan hating on some game because you do not like it.

Also.

Development times.

UO (Sandbox) 2 years (started 1995, released 1997)

Everquest (theme park) 3 years (started 1996, released 1999)

EVE Online (sandbox) 3 years (approximately) (started 2000, maybe. No clear date but earliest news I could find was in 2000. Released 2003)

Shadowbane (sandbox) 3 years (approx) (started 2000, maybe. no clear date but same as EVE. Released 2003)

DAoC (Theme park) 2 years (started 1999, released 2001)

SWG (sandbox) 3 years (started 2000, released 2003)

Lineage II (Theme..... Sand? wut?) 3 years (started 2000, released 2003)

WoW (theme park) 5 years (started 1999, released 2004)

Darkfall (sandbox) 8 years.... ( :D) (started 2001, released 2009, not your typical development time)

WAR (theme park) 3 years (started 2005, released 2008. speaking of the Mythic version here)

Age of Conan (theme park) 3 years (started 2005, released 2008)

AION (theme park) 2-3 years (started 2006, released 2008 in Korea, 2009 in the West)

SW:TOR (theme park)  ??? (3-4 years) years (started ??? by 2008, Bioware announced it had "more content that all their games combined", released 2011)

Guild Wars 2 (Theme park) 5 years (started 2007, released 2012)

So looks to me that themepark or sandbox, development time is around 2-3 years. 5 if you want an exceptional game. 8 if you are reaaaaaallllllly slow.

Argument moot. next!

LOL, you just proved my point. Why are you putting the development times. You can have AAA sandbox MMORPG developed in 1 year and you can have themepark AAA MMORPG developed in 5 years. The difference is $. If the sandbox MMORPG behind it had $ to put thousand of people working on it, while the themepark had $ to put less than hundred developing would determine the time it takes to develop.

Complexity of the game is the main factor, not the developed time. I could surely make a very complex themepark MMORPG, but the amount to do the same for a sandbox would take far more resources.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Out of some morbid curiosity, is this "death to all theme and amusement parks" including other recently released MMOs, or just "death to GW2"?

Yes sadly, WOW is superior to the themepark genre. That's a fact and best possible choice until a well developed sandbox MMORPG arrives. So sadly, my choice as a MMORPG player is between a poorly, indie developed sandbox games with extremely small playerbase like Mortal Online, Xsyon or WOW.

I've tried and tried and tried to enjoy the themepark formula, but there is only as much one can try.

So you do you think that, in future posts on the subject, that instead of declaring:

that you might want to consider modifying your statement for clarity to something like:

Well if you gotta play a themepark, might as well play the best one. What's a sandbox/MMO fan to do when all the sandboxes are full of cat turds?

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205

Peace out~

Spoken by AN 11+ year MMORPG veteran, too (and constant online gamer since 1994):

Kudos to those here who bought GW2 and are amped up to play it because it is fun for you! Who cares if its a themepark or sandbox or soapbox or boxcar derby....playing a game because you are having fun is the whole reason GAMES were created! I, personally love my text titles, achievements, cosmetic armor, minipets, fun and interesting guild mates, the chance to play challenging dungeons, but not being forced to grind, etc etc etc. :D

So go ahead a clean toilets for fun if you want? If that is your cup of tea (pun...intended?), enjoy! As for me, i'll play GW2 until another game gains more of my interest, but other than single player FPSes (and Neverwinter!), that wont be happening for awhile for me. (PS2 and ArcheAge (you didnt even get your game of longing's name correct...there is no space) are looking interesting, but we shall see)

• GundricGundric Member UncommonPosts: 345

My current favorite games are Guild Wars 2 and DayZ. I must be a deeply conflicted person..... or I just love games of multiple flavors.  The way that mmos have failed lately, there needs to be some success or companies will stop spending money on developing them. Fret not though, I see the market warming up to sandbox games though.  Just look at the suprising sucess of DayZ.  1 million users for a mod of a long time pre-existing game.

And what makes you think I still play it? I've been done with WOW since its content was over well before the summer. There is a good chance too I won't be buying MOP cuz raiding for 2 years for 1-2 mounts as a reward at the end of expansion or PvPing for rating that is nothing but numbers that are abused and reset on every couple months is not my type of MMORPG.

• nukempronukempro Member Posts: 76

GW2 similarities to WOW:

1. Questing system is exactly the same. Go to town quest hubs and uh...nevermind actually.

2.Talent trees vs traits...again realy realy similar in that...uh...nevermind actually.

3.Class Mechanics...this is where the games really start to look similar...Like WOW, GW2 uses the holy trinit...er...nevermind.

4.Massive WvW battles are just like uhhh, LAKE WINTERGRASP...yea totally the same thing!

5.Spvp, wow doesn't have this so can't compare.

6.Gear centric gameplay....Hit max lvl 80? Well grats, now you start grinding out your raid gear set...er...actually...nevermind.

And there you have it! Wow is similar to GW2 in that you click on things, gather things and kill things. But really aren't you just saying Apples are similar to oranges since they are both fruit?

I think what it really comes down too is GW2 isn't a 2nd job or virtual life. And that really hurts some peoples feelings who can only find gratification in an MMO like that. Gladly there are plenty of Loot grinders on the market and more coming out all the time!

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

man, this guy really makes it a habit to appear once a week just to troll the gw2 forums.

gw2 is going to be great and OP will eventually crack and then buy it himself.

~signed,

11yr MMO veteran

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

Just when I thought my day was getting boring...

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Blah...blah..blah...I'm a WoW-Fanboi and I am right......

Peace out~

Please don't use that name when you join us in GW2, it would give you away.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Originally posted by Blitz555

My current favorite games are Guild Wars 2 and DayZ. I must be a deeply conflicted person..... or I just love games of multiple flavors.  The way that mmos have failed lately, there needs to be some success or companies will stop spending money on developing them. Fret not though, I see the market warming up to sandbox games though.  Just look at the suprising sucess of DayZ.  1 million users for a mod of a long time pre-existing game.

^agreed. And DayZ is a fun one :)  Hell, I still play aladdin on sega genesis sometimes, because it is fun for a bit (same with Sonic, etc etc). So many people dismiss games because they don't fit their genre of choice nowadays, and they lose out on great possible fun. I, personally, am a diehard FPS player at heart. But I've been playing RTS and MMO games almost as long and love them too (Myth: The Fallen Lords....oh when Bungie was amazing...).  Play games because you love them! Who cares what others are playing or how lame others may think the game you are playing is. If you like Farmville, then play it! (you pansy. :P )

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Originally posted by the420kid
    you people arent gamers..  The defining characteristic of a gamer is that they game, not cry in forumns.  If you cant move to a new game and have some fun with it for a month or 2 then move to another game for more fun you arent a gamer.  You are apart of the new generation of newbs who think they need 1 game for the rest off there natural lives that suits every need and every whim whilst being open world sandbox much like back in the day when there was no content or end game just a world to explore ya super fun.. Get over yourselfs kids people game to have fun and if you cant have fun in a game like gw2 with a super smooth combat system 1000+ different skill builds then you are not a gamer your a lamer.

Yes I remember when I was 6-7 years old. I used to have fun in every single NES and SNES game avaliable. Fact is as my gaming experience grew I became more careful and picky on what I waste my time.

If you enjoy hopping on to new games every month that's good for you. There is no point for me playing something I've already played numerous times before with just different graphics and same formula.

I've played most NES, SNES, PSX games avaliable out there and since I got my hands on a PC and multiplayer gaming I refused to buy XBOX, Playstatiion 2 or Wii since and Im still thankful for that good decision.

And remember we are talking not about gaming in general, but about a specific genre within the gaming industry. It has the biggest potential for "gamers", but its been going downhill due to the reasons I stated in my previous replays.

This is where I am confused.  Did you single out GW2 strictly because it's the next big title that is not a sandbox? The reason I ask is that GW2 has the least amount of standard themepark elements in a major title that is not a sandbox.  If I'm wrong please list it.  There are tradeoffs such as Vanguard where you get an open world but are locked out of content as you level, trinity, static quest hubs , etc.

What makes you think Archeage will be any different? What tradeoffs are you hoping to find?

And, contrary to some, GW2 has an amazing amount of content for those that don't have the Mario Bros. complex image

Arche Age will be open world that will feature open world war that will impact the player economy in the open world. Players will have opportunity to own the land with properties for different purposes and hopefully a lot of player run quests.

Guild Wars 2 offers none of the above. For W v W v W the reward will be cosmetic armor and text title and with its model design more of those text titles and cosmetic armors will come with new content and expansions.

So your main argument against GW2 is that it doesn't have OWPvP with territory control or market manipulat- I mean a PvP controlled economy?

Good

GW2 PvP does have territory control that is not meant to be hoarded, this comes in the form of keeps in the WvWvW map.  You fight for more than just cosmetic items and ranks:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

I'm glad that you like WoW because AA PvE will be more like it than GW2 I imagine.

Edit: Spoken as a nine year MMO veteran.

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342
    +1 lover of themepark games. I hope you never go away!

Yea players are welcome to play GW2. It is great news for the themepark B2P with no monthly fee model.

The main reason thu why we've been stuck for a decade with bizillion of themeparks and only few poorly made sandbox MMORPG is cuz of the huge success of the well known THEMEPARK World of Warcraft.

I would like to see a AAA sandbox MMORPG before I get to see my grand grand grand children one day.

Originally posted by gessekai332

man, this guy really makes it a habit to appear once a week just to troll the gw2 forums.

gw2 is going to be great and OP will eventually crack and then buy it himself.

~signed,

11yr MMO veteran

Just to get a third comment into this thread....no really there is a reason I'm making a comment.

I love how the OP thinks he is the queen bee because he's been playing MMOs for over 11 years. I'm pretty sure that is a large % of the people that post on this forum regularly (10-20% probably much more). XD

And I wonder how many of the trolls have already prepurchased, too....

This discussion has been closed.