Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Why has there been no Wild West MMO?

hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
Just curious what everyone thinks.  I personally think that era has all the elements to make a good game for all types of players.
«134

Comments

  • RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,206Member Uncommon

    well...I imagine some are a bit hesitant to make a whites vs indians faction mmo...

     

    for the same reason there is no real race based MMO. when are all the games who have playable real races set? either in deep sci-fi world war scenarios or in antiquity. or the races are dwarves, elves, humans, goblins and orcs.

     

    make an mmo with ever-so-slight hint at stereotype and start thinking of ways to make each race unique and my, how the lawsuits will flow.

     

    example:

    indian racial is +1 culinary skill. -100mil in courts.

    whites jump height 2% less than the other races. -100mil in courts.

     

    That's why. too close to social sensitive topics. Indians are still around...and wouldn't be very tolerant and understanding about this.

     

    image

  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon

    Yeah but with so many two faction games you can always just make it outlaws vs regular folk... Dont have to necessarily make it whites vs indians.

    Or you could lean more toward sandbox type gameplay and just don't introduce a faction conflict.. let the players create it themselves

  • RamadarRamadar Bara Dur, ILPosts: 167Member
    Because Rockstar Games won't make Red Dead Online but there was a game on this site that I was watching and waiting for called Frontier 1849 and then poof gone, it sounded really cool to but I guess theres no real demand for one... oh well

    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb....

  • Spartan212Spartan212 Dearborn, MIPosts: 55Member

    I remember some dev floating the idea of a Red Dead Redemption MMO.  No sure what became of it.  Sounds like it would be fun

     

    EDIT:  Ninja'd!

  • TokkenTokken Portland, ORPosts: 1,154Member Uncommon
    Honestly, I would be up for a wild west mmo. It doesn't have to be whites vs. indians..... just different races to play and you can choose whatever side you want.
    Brad McQuaid Quote:  So, God-willing, the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen team and I will be able to make or allow that magic to happen a third time, and it too will be not just a great game, but also that catalyst again that brings people together, sometimes out of their comfort zone, learning how to work together not just tactically in a virtual world but also socially in the real world.
  • ignore_meignore_me Apple Valley, CAPosts: 1,987Member
    This would be great. Goldminecraft!

    Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

  • C1d0sC1d0s Marshall, TXPosts: 238Member
    Originally posted by Robokapp

    well...I imagine some are a bit hesitant to make a whites vs indians faction mmo...

     

    for the same reason there is no real race based MMO. when are all the games who have playable real races set? either in deep sci-fi world war scenarios or in antiquity. or the races are dwarves, elves, humans, goblins and orcs.

     

    make an mmo with ever-so-slight hint at stereotype and start thinking of ways to make each race unique and my, how the lawsuits will flow.

     

    example:

    indian racial is +1 culinary skill. -100mil in courts.

    whites jump height 2% less than the other races. -100mil in courts.

     

    That's why. too close to social sensitive topics. Indians are still around...and wouldn't be very tolerant and understanding about this.

     

    While I do agree it'd be very difficult to make an entire MMO based around racial discrimination, I think it's a little shallow to think that the war on Indians was all the Wild West is about.

    There's plenty of topics aside from fighting Indians, such as:

    1. Cowboys (duh?)
    2. Outlaws
    3. The rise of industry
    4. Religion
    5. Agriculture, Farming, Ranching
    Just a few, there's plenty more; however, to be fair, I do understand how you make connections to MMOs and their representation of races with particular perks. Of course, races in-game don't have to be differentiated by stats or perks.
     
    Red Dead Redemption, a single-player game, handled a lot of the topics in the Wild West maturely and without causing a ruckus ( AFAIK ) with the Native American community. Looking back, I don't remember there being too many Indians. See? Wild West doesn't even need them to be awesome. 

    image
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    there is so much you could do it'd be a great way to introduce persistent player housing into a game.  For example for those that aren't combat oriented.. they can open up a saloon or something. Or take part in the gold rush.  Those that like pvp and combat could take their hand in being an outlaw, while those who like to remain good could try to enforce order.. and thats only  a couple things.
  • RohnRohn Saint Peters, MOPosts: 3,740Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ramadar
    Because Rockstar Games won't make Red Dead Online but there was a game on this site that I was watching and waiting for called Frontier 1849 and then poof gone, it sounded really cool to but I guess theres no real demand for one... oh well

     

    Funny you should mention it, but Jef Reahard just did an article a few days ago in which he listed Frontier 1859 as a sandbox game the genre could use:

    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/03/some-assembly-required-four-sandboxes-we-need-right-now/

    The game at least still has a website, though I don't know how the development is going.

    http://frontier1859.com/mmorpg/

    Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

  • RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,206Member Uncommon

    look at your #4, sir.

     

    perhaps we shouldn't make an MMO about that...think about it. There's nothing more volatile as a topic than that.

     

    problem with MMO's is that they're also RPG's. And RPing on these themes could turn ultra-nasty with the current maturity level of our playerbase.

     

    that being said, I'd love toplay an mmo about industrialization. :)

    image

  • Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Linden, NJPosts: 330Member
    it sounds like an interesting idea, but it feels like customization in an old west game would be too lacking for me, obviously everyone would have a cowboyish/girlish style...even tho i dont like RP i do like having a unique look... i would play it still tho if the fun factor was high enough, there are many things to go into account though, like what the combat style would be....FPS? or third person? or perhaps an old tab targeting system...among other things to take into account such as sandbox vs themepark as well as how pvp would be set up. im probably missing other stuff but meh im tired...
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Odinthedark1
    it sounds like an interesting idea, but it feels like customization in an old west game would be too lacking for me, obviously everyone would have a cowboyish/girlish style...even tho i dont like RP i do like having a unique look... i would play it still tho if the fun factor was high enough, there are many things to go into account though, like what the combat style would be....FPS? or third person? or perhaps an old tab targeting system...among other things to take into account such as sandbox vs themepark as well as how pvp would be set up. im probably missing other stuff but meh im tired...

    There is alot of thought that would have to go into it, but I feel like that era has a ton of elements (both good and bad) that could be used to craft a fun game

    "Originally posted by Rohn

    Originally posted by Ramadar
    Because Rockstar Games won't make Red Dead Online but there was a game on this site that I was watching and waiting for called Frontier 1849 and then poof gone, it sounded really cool to but I guess theres no real demand for one... oh well

     

    Funny you should mention it, but Jef Reahard just did an article a few days ago in which he listed Frontier 1859 as a sandbox game the genre could use:

    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/03/some-assembly-required-four-sandboxes-we-need-right-now/

    The game at least still has a website, though I don't know how the development is going.

    http://frontier1859.com/mmorpg/"

     

    looks cool! unfortunately at the very bottom it says the status is "an entrepreneur seeking funding"

     

     

  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Sioux City, IAPosts: 3,828Member


    Originally posted by C1d0s
    There's plenty of topics aside from fighting Indians, such as:
    Cowboys (duh?) Outlaws The rise of industryReligionAgriculture, Farming, Ranching
    Just a few, there's plenty more; however, to be fair, I do understand how you make connections to MMOs and their representation of races with particular perks. Of course, races in-game don't have to be differentiated by stats or perks.Red Dead Redemption, a single-player game, handled a lot of the topics in the Wild West maturely and without causing a ruckus ( AFAIK ) with the Native American community. Looking back, I don't remember there being too many Indians. See? Wild West doesn't even need them to be awesome. 

    Homesteading would be a great feature :) Maybe throw in a railroad building mini-game involving high finance! You could play mountainmen, explorers, maybe find a mine.

    As far as the "racial thing", people could play the Native Americans, too. Defend their homes from the "invading" white people.

    My first thought was the gunfights. That would be tricky to do. It would come down to who has the best hardware and internet connection. Lag would indeed be deadly.

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

  • HrimnirHrimnir Qeynos, COPosts: 1,597Member Uncommon

    Yeah, i think the whole being enamored with the wild west thing has kind of passed society by.  Im not really entirely sure what was so spectacular and interesting about it in the first place.  Probably some of the most boring times in our countries history IMO.

    What i would love to see is an MMO based on roman and greek mythology.  There is plenty of "lore" there that can be leveraged for an awesome mmo.

    "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

    - Friedrich Nietzsche

  • TokkenTokken Portland, ORPosts: 1,154Member Uncommon
    How would combat work? Guns, rifles, sabre, tomahawk and knife fights?
    Brad McQuaid Quote:  So, God-willing, the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen team and I will be able to make or allow that magic to happen a third time, and it too will be not just a great game, but also that catalyst again that brings people together, sometimes out of their comfort zone, learning how to work together not just tactically in a virtual world but also socially in the real world.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Somewhere, KSPosts: 2,401Member

    I'd probably play a western sandbox MMO, but I think overall there isn't really much interest in western type games in general.

    I dunno, I guess it would mostly depend on the game's features, since games like Red Dead Redemption did well.

     

    Companies don't like taknig risks though, and fantasy is top dog, then I think sci-fi which is quite a bit lower.

  • SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Sept-iles, QCPosts: 180Member
    Economy...Beer for corn ...flu for woman ....leather for religion
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tokken
    How would combat work? Guns, rifles, sabre, tomahawk and knife fights?

    Could make it twitch based.  Just better make sure you don't bring a knife to a gunfight

  • Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Linden, NJPosts: 330Member
    Originally posted by Tokken
    How would combat work? Guns, rifles, sabre, tomahawk and knife fights?

    You are forgetting about bar fight's and the classic broken beer/ale bottles, perhaps a wooden chair? or maybe the non lethal weapon, the rope lasso to bring them in for perhaps a bounty collection, or the opposite, to create a hostage situation. nothing like strapping the cowboys to a pillar while lighting up some gunpowder kegs to watch the place go kaplooey!

  • C1d0sC1d0s Marshall, TXPosts: 238Member
    Originally posted by Robokapp

    look at your #4, sir.

     

    perhaps we shouldn't make an MMO about that...think about it. There's nothing more volatile as a topic than that.

     

    problem with MMO's is that they're also RPG's. And RPing on these themes could turn ultra-nasty with the current maturity level of our playerbase.

     

    that being said, I'd love toplay an mmo about industrialization. :)

    There's religion in plenty of MMOs. In almost every single universe, there's some sort of God ( or Gods ) who're praised and worshipped.

    What's the difference in utilizing a real-world religion in the Wild West? And, believe me, I am in no way advocating the blatant promotion or intolerence of faith. However, it's historically accurate that a lot of things in the Wild West are linked to religious motivation - the slaughter of natives, slavery, expansion, morality. If the goal was to make an accurate depiction of Wild West life, then it makes perfect sense to include religion.

    Of course, if it's just a funsy themepark of Cowboys VS Outlaws, then I'll agree that including a controversial topic isn't really required .

    image
  • MisthawkMisthawk Central, FLPosts: 63Member
    Originally posted by Robokapp

    well...I imagine some are a bit hesitant to make a whites vs indians faction mmo... 

    Doesn't have to have a historical accuracy to it.  It could be themed around an alternative reality, with a western-styled theme to it.

    You start at many of the outlying towns, with either a profession as an outsider, bandit, lawman, worker, etc.  Maybe use the threat of something unnatural, supernatural, biological, and so on, to get the plot rolling, as well as some non-fictional threats that aren't racial.  General transportation would consist of those of the fictional (or maybe use a fictional steampunk setting), with player involvement having to help maintain the highways and railroads from decaying, being destroyed, etc., as well as helping to build new routes.

    Just a diminutive idea on the countless possibilities that could be themed around a western-styled MMO.

  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Middlesex, NJPosts: 604Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by C1d0s
     

    There's religion in plenty of MMOs. In almost every single universe, there's some sort of God ( or Gods ) who're praised and worshipped.

    What's the difference in utilizing a real-world religion in the Wild West? And, believe me, I am in no way advocating the blatant promotion or intolerence of faith. However, it's historically accurate that a lot of things in the Wild West are linked to religious motivation - the slaughter of natives, slavery, expansion, morality. If the goal was to make an accurate depiction of Wild West life, then it makes perfect sense to include religion.

    Of course, if it's just a funsy themepark of Cowboys VS Outlaws, then I'll agree that including a controversial topic isn't really required .

    That's the beauty of it.  A developer could make it as deep as they desire. 

  • RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,206Member Uncommon

    well, wouldn't  Salem kinda be relevant to this topic? I know it's different region, different period but it's in there...in the sense that it's historically located in almost-relevant time.

     

    let's see how Salem turns out imo. :)

     

     

    p.s. my problem isn't with religion belonging or not in MMOs. It's with what will become of it when Xxxjedilolxxx decides to play a religious character.

    image

  • MisthawkMisthawk Central, FLPosts: 63Member
    Originally posted by Robokapp

    p.s. my problem isn't with religion belonging or not in MMOs. It's with what will become of it when Xxxjedilolxxx decides to play a religious character.

    Couldn't be much worse than r0flpwn4ge playing a cowboy.

  • alexminoalexmino davenport, IAPosts: 132Member
    Killing indians and coyotes would get old i imagine.
«134
Sign In or Register to comment.