Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well,,,, bye bye secret world

Im done,

Yet again I am wondering who to blame for the money sepent on this "hyped up impulse purchase"

Im not knocking them completely; the game has some nice small features, but with all things being equal this game is the same grind as any other.

Im mostly upset with their PVP.

Why am i in a world with 3 factions at war, where one second i can group with them to take down a dungeon boss; then fight them the next second in some huge annonymous skill less zerg battle.

Open world PVP should have been a cornerstone in this game. 

Im thinking that each faction should have had faction missions, rewarding you in faction rank or gear,, when you take a faction mission; your "overt" and can be ganked by any other overt enemy faction.

Thats my 2 cents.

G.E.Schaefer
Played: EQ1. EQ2. FFXI. SWG. Aion. WAR. LOTRO. TabulaRasa. Hellgate London. Diablo 1. Diablo II. Diablo 3. STO. WOW. Vanguard. Guild Wars. Rift. Terra. The Secret World. EVE. Guild Wars 2. Firefall. Neverwinter.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Geschaefer

Im done,

Yet again I am wondering who to blame for the money sepent on this "hyped up impulse purchase"

Im not knocking them completely; the game has some nice small features, but with all things being equal this game is the same grind as any other.

Why am i in a world with 3 factions at war, where one second i can group with them to take down a dungeon boss; then fight them the next second in some huge annonymous skill less zerg battle.

Im thinking that each faction should have had faction missions, rewarding you in faction rank or gear,, when you take a faction mission; your "overt" and can be ganked by any other overt enemy faction.

Thats my 2 cents.

open world pvp would not work at all with how questing and the story is setup... it would of had to of been an entierly differnt game. But i will agree pvp in this game is lackluster at best..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

i'm not hating on you..

but this is why you gotta read about them before you buy them!  i was extremely stoked for TSW for a long time but once i learned it was designed mostly with PVE in mind i skipped it.

i have been guilty of buying games i didn't know much about.  but for TSW the info was out there long before release.  i remember my heart sinking when i read on the official forums the world was going to be 100% PVE.   they even gave open beta access the weekend they turned the pvp on.  i tried it there and felt kind of how you did..

i'm not trying to be mean.. just trying to say -- if the money matters to you like it does to me, investigate these games before you buy them!  

i've saved myself from several games this year that my friends bought and hated by learning about them ahead of time.

i even had some friends buy Tera and then complain about features it lacked.. even though i had sent them a link to the official Tera website outlining how it didn't have those features a month before release!

• LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181
    I don't blame you. I had an impulse to buy the game but I resisted. I played beta and l lost the desire to buy it. I even tried it again for about an hour on the free weekend but that only confirmed that I would not spend any money on the game.
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

Im done,

Thats my 2 cents.

It's your own fault. You could play Beta's watch youtube videos and much much more. Also you just can't say "blame for the money spent" if its not the game you like, you can't say this for everyone. Im pretty sure there are plenty much people who see their spent money as success.

According to myself im not a big GW2 fan and imo its abit overhyped atm, which just scares me back. But im watching down alot of youtube videos the whole day about, and trying not get convinced by the uber hype on any forums.

I must say some youtube vids has great explanations which also say the negative parts from the very start.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

You paid for a month and played for a month.  Why does this need to be someone elses fault you didnt want to continue?

Also, this game was pretty much ripped to shreds by the community here during the betas and after...

Did you just not like it because of no FFA pvp?  That waswell known well before the game came out...not sure why you would join knowing somthing so vital to you wasnt included.

Also theres a specific reason the factions are not at war all the time, pay attention to the story its all told there.

Either way good luck on your next game.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by BigRock411

You paid for a month and played for a month.  Why does this need to be someone elses fault you didnt want to continue?

This is somethiing pretty common with MMORPG players. You bought a game probably had 60+ hours of fun. if you felt like continuing to play then play if you don't feel like playing anymore it shouldn't really be a big deal but a lot of MMORPG players never seem to see it as such.

MMORPG generally are not much longer in content than a good RPG but people expect it to last 10 times longer than a regular RPG. If during that month the game was buggy and unplayable, that would be different but it doesn't seem to the case, you cant artificially extend a game just for the sake of extending.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

No doubt OP. I would like to have some Wpvp too. They said a looong time ago that if there was enough demand they would do it, but who know if and when. 

That being said the tools given makes the pvp worth it to me. Hope you find what your looking for. Keep an eye on TESO too.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    definitely worth the box price. console games are priced the same and you get waaaaaay less.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Bye bye for me as well but I'm not mad. Quite satisfied with my month of play but the game will be shelfed for now. 
  • dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    definitely worth the box price. console games are priced the same and you get waaaaaay less.

And thats why the newest console I have right now is a PS2 (sold my PS3), and the only console I play on a regular basis is Sega Genesis. (I do play my Wii semi often when I have company over :P

PS: Playing the open beta one could have easily figured out that the PVP was...to be nice....very lacking. Zerg fests are fine IF there are other aspects, but there are not. That and people taking advantage of the XP given out just makes it pretty lame after a couple plays.

The game itself has an excellent story, but, as I have stated before, has only as much staying power as a single player/co-op game. (SWTOR's problem, too). Overall, I was satisfied for my $60, BUT games like Skyrim, Deus Ex, NWN, etc have much more replayability and NWN and Skyrim (modded) have co-op too, in which I've gotten the whole experience that I got on TSW (only thing that they were really missing was a chat box with mostly ignored utterances :P )

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Im done,

How about some self accountability?

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by DaezAster
    Bye bye for me as well but I'm not mad. Quite satisfied with my month of play but the game will be shelfed for now. 

Same here, as an mmorpg its way to short but i truly enjoyd it while it lasted

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

Don't buy the Hype, ever.

TSW might be worth the box price, but no way is it worth the sub price.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Sentime

Don't buy the Hype, ever.

TSW might be worth the box price, but no way is it worth the sub price.

Thats what I am afraid of also.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by gessekai332

QFT

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by rdrakken

Originally posted by sonicbrew
    It's FunCom; with their track record did you really expect anything less?

This.

In fact, Funcoms company slogan should be "Funcom: lower your expectations".

That notion doesn't really work here.TSW is actually a solid, well made game, which Funcom always caught flak for producing the opposite.
  • sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by rdrakken
    Originally posted by sonicbrew
    It's FunCom; with their track record did you really expect anything less?

This.

In fact, Funcoms company slogan should be "Funcom: lower your expectations".

That notion doesn't really work here.TSW is actually a solid, well made game, which Funcom always caught flak for producing the opposite.

As someone who beta'd the game for quite some time, I could not disagree more. For me, the notion worked extremely well...

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i bought the game on an impulse, just like i did with some P2P mmos that launched before. My TSW free monmth ended yesterday and im not resubbing. Ill wait for F2P if it ever happens. And it it happens, i hope they are not too harsh with the free player limitations like AoC (at least not with the players who bought the game at full price....)

oh well....

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

It seems to me that a lot of recent games, TOR, TSW, etc, we get this type of post. "Meh, game sucks, I quit, PvP was awful..". It's that last bit that's been catching my eye lately. A lot of the whiners complaining about these games seem to prefer PvP to PvE. Is this the case, or am I just seeing too much into it? Personally, if people are picking up MMO's for the PvP then going away disappointed then I'm happy. The sooner they remove PvP from MMO's, except for those directly created for it - e.g. Planetside - the better.

Leave PvP to the FPS's of the world, and RPG's with their PvE focus.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect

It seems to me that a lot of recent games, TOR, TSW, etc, we get this type of post. "Meh, game sucks, I quit, PvP was awful..". It's that last bit that's been catching my eye lately. A lot of the whiners complaining about these games seem to prefer PvP to PvE. Is this the case, or am I just seeing too much into it? Personally, if people are picking up MMO's for the PvP then going away disappointed then I'm happy. The sooner they remove PvP from MMO's, except for those directly created for it - e.g. Planetside - the better.

Leave PvP to the FPS's of the world, and RPG's with their PvE focus.

You were probably the one playing everquest while i was killing in Dark Age of Camelot. Or maybe you started out in wow on a pve server?

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

It seems to me that a lot of recent games, TOR, TSW, etc, we get this type of post. "Meh, game sucks, I quit, PvP was awful..". It's that last bit that's been catching my eye lately. A lot of the whiners complaining about these games seem to prefer PvP to PvE. Is this the case, or am I just seeing too much into it? Personally, if people are picking up MMO's for the PvP then going away disappointed then I'm happy. The sooner they remove PvP from MMO's, except for those directly created for it - e.g. Planetside - the better.Leave PvP to the FPS's of the world, and RPG's with their PvE focus.

lol i really don't understand what ppl want from rpg pvp..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Vladamyre

You were probably the one playing everquest while i was killing in Dark Age of Camelot. Or maybe you started out in wow on a pve server?

Sounds about right, I started with EverQuest. I played DAoC for a while but again, the PvP focus turned me away. I just have very little interest in PvP in my MMO's, hell, I don't even bother with it in FPS games. They're just all the same thing, run around, shoot, die, respawn, continue respawning until someone captures the flag, back and fore, back and fore.. What's the point? It's so boring.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223

Sounds about right, I started with EverQuest. I played DAoC for a while but again, the PvP focus turned me away. I just have very little interest in PvP in my MMO's, hell, I don't even bother with it in FPS games. They're just all the same thing, run around, shoot, die, respawn, continue respawning until someone captures the flag, back and fore, back and fore.. What's the point? It's so boring.

Well its a totally different ballgame when its pvp. Pve turns out to be the same damn boring as hell script fight after you first beat it. Easier and easier. Where as pvp is never the same, it all depends on whos behind the toons. Players tend to be smarter and harder fights then boring ass scripts. DAoC was purely a skill based game, it wasn't easy to pick that up and just start trashing people like you can with script fights. Just about every game has pvp in it, as it should. Pve bores me to tears after a while.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

Well its a totally different ballgame when its pvp. Pve turns out to be the same damn boring as hell script fight after you first beat it. Easier and easier. Where as pvp is never the same, it all depends on whos behind the toons. Players tend to be smarter and harder fights then boring ass scripts. DAoC was purely a skill based game, it wasn't easy to pick that up and just start trashing people like you can with script fights. Just about every game has pvp in it, as it should. Pve bores me to tears after a while.

I'm of the opposite mindset, I prefer a good PvE encounter to a PvP any day. See, where you say it's about skill, I have to completely disagree unless you're playing an FPS. It's simply a case of, "My gear is better than yours, my attack beats your AC so I hit you, your attack is too low to affect my AC so I stand like some mighty God. Hah hah, noob!". No skill, just who has the better equipment, whose weapon does the better damage, etc.

Planetside is the only PvP based MMO I've ever bothered with. It wasn't about people strafing back and fore, bunny hopping like idiots, it had tanks, aircraft, ATV's, dropships, heavy armor, stealth armor. It was about the tactics, the overall playing field, not just Bob vs Jim in a strafing, bunny hopping, gear based fight to the death.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

I can help you with that. Do you have a mirror?