Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did GW2 just surge 33% in popularity overnight?

ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Looks like hit spammer manipulation imo.  GW2 has been about twice as popular as TSW and SWTOR for the past month, but last night (and much more noticable today) seems to be unbelievably popular.

Is there a rational explanation for this boost in hit traffic, or do you suspect foul play too?

---- Edit ----

Looks like whatever was causing the manipulation has been corrected.  

Today: GW2 roughly twice the hits of TSW as mentioned in my OP

Yesterday:  GW2 hits inflated compared to rest of site traffic

Comments

• TSW is released and the first month is over.  GW2 is 20 days from release.  Its perfectly normal.  Stress test was thrusday and now people are in withdrawal.
  • thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Zooce

Looks like hit spammer manipulation imo.  GW2 has been about twice as popular as TSW and SWTOR for the past month, but last night (and much more noticable today) seems to be unbelievably popular.

Is there a rational explanation for this boost in hit traffic, or do you suspect foul play too?

Look at the front page..

90% of the thread activity is in GW2 forums.

I never seen anything like that before, not with Vanguard, Conan, WAR or Star wars TOR.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I think people are just chomping at the bit.  The 25th is toooooooooo far away and people are just devouring any and all info GW2 related.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Yep, Kate Upton just announced she was gonna play
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by wrightstuf

Had to google Kate Upton to find out who she was.

Fitting because come release I will be doing the cat daddy during character creation.  Mental Imagry (220 pound, 38 year old male).

Edit:  LOL, Xyzen, google kate upton, cat daddy.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by thekid1

Look at the front page..

I never seen anything like that before, not with Vanguard, Conan, WAR or Star wars TOR.

Well, I"ve never seen anything like GW2 before either, so maybe this is as it should be. There is no need for foul play, if you have proof of foul play, then spill it.

imageimage
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Well, considering that more than a few players of other games seem to find it more fun to post here than to participate in the forums of their own game and improve their own community... you have at least a part of the reason of that overwhelming popularity. It seems that even when you don't play it or plan to play it, GW2 is more fun than most other MMOs on the market.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Perversely the increase in, shall we say, less than informed posts about GW2 have had the effect of boosting the games popularity rating on this site. The irony is so delicious.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Well, considering that more than a few players of other games seem to find it more fun to post here than to participate in the forums of their own game and improve their own community... you have at least a part of the reason of that overwhelming popularity. It seems that even when you don't play it or plan to play it, GW2 is more fun than most other MMOs on the market.

Maybe, I'm not even sure I will play it but find myself lurking the GW2 quite a lot.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Who?

Originally posted by Istavaan

Who?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCUnWIs88CQ

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

There is no need for foul play, if you have proof of foul play, then spill it.

I think it would be awesome if the overnight increase in hits was legit.  I suspect foul play since it has happened in the past (here's a case last year with Darkfall) and besides the article featured from David North, I don't see much out of the ordinary activity that would result in such a drastic boost in popularity.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Cat daddy, this years dougie. True story.
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    Cat daddy, this years dougie. True story.

I feel like I just made someones life a little bit better. 

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I never check those stats but that's a big number o_O
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

LOL yeah I would say something is fishy there when you look at the "Today" section.  Not surprising though since the last major game to come out was also involved in what looked like a manipulation.  8.1-8.3 games all went down to 7.78 overnight and, oh, look at that.. This new game is now #1.

Happens all the time.  Just be thankful that MMORPG.com doesn't start tracking IPs to accounts.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

I wish GW2 fans would take your advice on not posting in other games forums.  

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    I think your dellusional saying GW2 boosted popularity by 33% without any sort of proof. It is all in your mind.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

I'm possibly going to surprise you, but I wish so too. And you can look my post history - I'm NOT doing that - I don't enjoy being victim of the "pot calling the kettle black" saying,and I don't believe in the 'two wrongs do one right" saying either.

At the end, it's only about who will get the last word among a few fanatic posters - and it's annoying everyone else who is just trying to get info about the game he enjoys without interferences of haters or insecure fans coming from other games.

As I said recently in a thread on the general forum (Pub) here, all communities would be better if the members would mind their own business and improve their own community instead of spending at least half their time ruining other's communities.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    The game's out in less than 3 weeks, what else are people going to talk about?   All the shitty games out when there's a good one coming up?  =P
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    These silly threads.
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by Mephster
    I think your dellusional saying GW2 boosted popularity by 33% without any sort of proof. It is all in your mind.

GW2 has been about twice as popular in recent days as the #2, 3 games.  27/83*100=32.5

Its gone up another 720 hits while I was posting this.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

NOOO She already messed up Justin Verlander, now GW2 ... /weep

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

half the posts in the gw2 forums seem to be from people who have zero interest in the game anyway.. so it goes both ways.. although people who like gw2 might you know actually enjoy more than just gw2

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg