Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Awakening is upon us (update from theia

deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/awakening-is-upon-us.76773/#post-1342436

<blockquote ugc="" basehtml"=""> Awakening is upon us!

Dear Community,

After a long wait – Awakening is nearly here. We will be releasing our latest expansion for Mortal Online during August, if all goes well; this could be as early as mid next week. It is of course possible that this might stretch out for an additional week or so but this is where we are and what we’re aiming for right now.

Awakening is not just new content, core systems of the game have been completely re-written from scratch AI, path finding, AI behaviour and the entire GUI system, these systems alone give us a new feel and experience to the game.

It is important to call out here, that whilst the Focus Group has done an absolutely superb job with a huge list of fixed bugs, there is no substitute for thousands of players and the dynamic environment of Live.

There will be bugs at launch. We are getting staged now for rapid patching and will be without doubt patching on a daily basis as soon as we go live. With the introduction of several new GUI trading systems and the Broker, there is a risk that an as yet undetected bug or dupe could impact the database. We will be watching very carefully! Be advised that, in the event that we detect any very serious bugs impacting the database, which will take significant time to fix, we will rollback the server to the previous day. You will be compensated for any lost game time, however no in-game compensation will be available in the event of a rollback.

A little more detail...

New AI – As said, the AI system has been completely re-written. This is a huge update to a core feature and you will see some immediate changes here. Different attack types, new animal behaviours as well as animals ageing and growing in power and strength both in the wild but even more so under the care of a player-tamer. A skilled player can also now control multiple pets, giving more freedom and customization for your in game adventures.

New GUI – The GUI has been completely updated, you will notice fast smooth windows with no lag, banks will open smoothly and it is now far less confusing for new players to work through as most windows now react in the same way. Player friendly features have also been introduced with this new UI, such as ensuring you don’t delete items by accident, money exchange at the vendor simplified and basic information on items too.

What else? Well, 64B Support, lock-picking, player written books, bags, armour and clothing dyes, the City of Tindrem, new dungeons to discover and explore, vendor changes, and the Trade Broker are just some of the additions you will notice.

However, as always Starvault does not release the full content of any patch or expansion, Awakening has many, many secrets waiting for you to discover!

Everyone at Starvault has been working long and hard on Awakening, so we are all very excited to finally see the release and share the new world with all of you.

Good luck to all and see you in Nave!

CM Theia

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Comments

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453
    Not buying into anything Theia says, not until its actually out and functional after 1 month...So let's not get overexcited about this.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    I was just wondering what was up with this expansion the other day.  Seemed there was a dearth of info and discussion especially here.  Thanks for the info.  While I wish the folks at SV the best, I have a pretty good idea how this is going to turn out.

Steam: Neph

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700
    "weeks not months"
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Very good news that this will be coming out fairly soon.  The systems being added and refined should be a nice improvement to the game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

-We will know very soon how improved the game will be (or how much of a mess it wil beciome if enough people come back to revive FAILED)

Heres hoping for the best. Call me a hater but I WAS a supporter who threw money at SV for essentially a broken betra game with no updates and lots of lies. That does not mean that IF they pull this off I would never come back (If things seemto be moving in the right direction I will give it a try)

I came back after Epic Patch (one of them) Dawn (was supposed to revolutionize gaming) and TC , resubbing for 1 month each time (around $50 more dollars thrown down a black hole) THIS TIME I will see how things are looking after a couple months . I feel sorry for all of you funding this game for the last 8 months without eve a small patch- Hope this makes up for it.

Anyhow, heres hoping. So far my timeline seems correct (I called for September release) lets see if the rest of mu prediction comes to pass OR if I will decide to give MO another spin.

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    (If things seemto be moving in the right direction I will give it a try)

I won't. Even if they deliver a completely clean fully-working patch, which won't happen: There is still GM abuse, useless GMs, extreme censorship on the forums, outrageous PR methods like sockpuppet sites and trolling on 3rd party forums, unsolved monetary issues from the past like double-billing, creditcard fraud and the boxset scam, a temp-ban-policy for cheaters.

So, no thanks.

EDIT: Also, I doubt this release date is accurate. One way or another this announcement is triggered by nothing other than the release of Guild Wars 2.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by FastSloth

EDIT: Also, I doubt this release date is accurate. One way or another this announcement is triggered by nothing other than the release of Guild Wars 2.

Good point on the timing.  I find it hard to believe they will just get it working a week or two before guild wars 2 launches.  GW2 will suck up a lot of the less hardcore crowd...  but I don't think that is a lot of MO players:  to me GW2 looks boring as hell.  I wouldn't consider abandoning MO for GW2.

I would, however, abandon MO for Planetside 2.   Beta has just started, and tons of pvpers (the core crowd of MO) I know will be playing that.  FPS combat -> much bigger MMO scale than MO -> way better graphics than MO -> way cleaner engine than MO -> no gathering or mining (the two most boring aspects of MO) -> planetside 2 is FREE.  The game is pure awesome.

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700
    Originally posted by psykobilly
    Originally posted by FastSloth

Good point on the timing.  I find it hard to believe they will just get it working a week or two before guild wars 2 launches.  GW2 will suck up a lot of the less hardcore crowd...  but I don't think that is a lot of MO players:  to me GW2 looks boring as hell.  I wouldn't consider abandoning MO for GW2.

I would, however, abandon MO for Planetside 2.   Beta has just started, and tons of pvpers (the core crowd of MO) I know will be playing that.  FPS combat -> much bigger MMO scale than MO -> way better graphics than MO -> way cleaner engine than MO -> no gathering or mining (the two most boring aspects of MO) -> planetside 2 is FREE.  The game is pure awesome.

GW2 may not have a large impact on the MO playerbase itself, but it will have an effect on the amount of players that would end up trying MO.

MO just doesn't have the momentum to become anything other than a miniscule game with a niche playerbase. As more and more MMOs release, it doesn't take but a few subscribers per release for MO to slowly wither away

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

You know its bad when such an "exciting" update is announced this far from launch that is implimenting the basics that every other mmo has to date. The fact they didnt launch with some of these things or that they took this long to impliment/fix is enough to keep new players away.

Basic AI... really? thats bad.

The only thing I appreciate about these games (MO/DFO) is the vision the teams had and  attempted to create. I just wish a fully funded and competent group would take up a similiar project.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

SV also announced that they are recruiting "Envoys" to spread the word about this "expansion" on both internal and external forums and websites...

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/community-envoys-discussion.76792/#post-1342681

Prepare :-)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

SV also announced that they are recruiting "Envoys" to spread the word on both internal and external forums and websites...

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/community-envoys-discussion.76792/#post-1342681

Wonderful, but I think we already have enough " Envoys " . image

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

SV also announced that they are recruiting "Envoys" to spread the word about this "expansion" on both internal and external forums and websites...

this seems like a bad idea, they should just make some trailers and do some interviews. Its better than having half retarded people speaking about your game for you getting info wrong or getting into arguments with people from other sites and making your game look worse.

enough envoys? you have like just me and rohn, and im not very good at it :(

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Theia's reply seems kinda out of place, with OP talking about being a link between players and developrs and Theia instead mentions advertising on other forums? I think he meant that they will try to gather feedback from other forums, as it seems more logical in the given content, not "spread the word".
  • FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by Toferio
    Theia's reply seems kinda out of place, with OP talking about being a link between players and developrs and Theia instead mentions advertising on other forums? I think he meant that they will try to gather feedback from other forums, as it seems more logical in the given content, not "spread the word".

But Theia also didn't know the difference between PR, advertising and announcing when he posted here. You get what you pay for.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Well he goes on to say this: " You will shortly start to see a surge in external comms and comps as we try to publicise Awakening and MO in general. This is important, we know we have the support of the community and will be drawing help from wherever it's available."

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Well he goes on to say this: " You will shortly start to see a surge in external comms and comps as we try to publicise Awakening and MO in general. This is important, we know we have the support of the community and will be drawing help from wherever it's available."

So premature to announce that.  They should see what happens the first few weeks post-awakening.  If it's anything like Dawn...  the last thing you want to do is climb aboard the hype train.

that probably means through tralers and interviews

Originally posted by deathshroud

that probably means through tralers and interviews

It's a week away and no trailer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trailer_(promotion)

Now is the time for a trailer is such a thing is going to occur.

disagree, the time for a trailer is when awakening is stabilised.

Originally posted by deathshroud
    disagree, the time for a trailer is when awakening is stabilised.

Wow you missed my point...  it's not a 'trailer' by the modern definition if it's released after.  Promo yes, trailer no.

your point is nit picking really, i dont think it matters what you call it. But for the sake of the actual game its best to release any form of promotional material after the release of the "expansion" and only once the server is stabilised. Otherwise it would have a severe negative effect on the populace in the long run.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Hm, so the flood of viral marketing arrives after most of the dupes, glitches and bugs are fixed. So we have like 2 years, right?
  • GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    already bought some popcorn for this one

• CroniteLoreCroniteLore Member Posts: 99

It's gonna go tits up - but in fairness to them they have said that - lotsa bugfixing for the first, what do you guys think, month?

I'm gonna be there either way so meh

"In MO, even the haters are hardcore!" - ltank

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319
    Originally posted by GreenishBlue
    already bought some popcorn for this one

I hope they aren´t popped yet cause they will be green by the time Awakening is launched.

At least they are open with the bugs that WILL come with Awakening. But they are prepared for it now. More so then ever before. Even they must have some trial and error. :P Either way it´s gonna be fun and probably absolutley chaotic the first few weeks. I won´t be going to gather stuff etc during this time, cause there probably will be alot of rollbacks as they mentioned if they notice some new dupe etc. But it´s gonna be a fun ride either way.