Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the single greatest thing you miss from the old school MMO's?

Comments

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Gameplay >>> community.

Nevermind the fact that the community was a central aspect of the gameplay for many playing these games....

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• StormbowStormbow Member UncommonPosts: 201

The thing I miss the most is the genuine sense of community and realm pride that no longer exists in any of the games I've played in the last 10 years.  As previously stated in this thread, games today are about grinding levels and getting gear.  No game has the sense of purpose and reason for being that games long ago had.  One game in particular stands out in this area the most because there was once a time when players from one side of the game would do something, and players from another side of the game would immediately react and the "CALL TO ARMS!" would ring all over the game.  Not by some computerized warning system, but because the actual players used to give a *&^( about their realm and would rally to fight off the invaders.  You don't find such a thing in games today.   Today it's all about getting loot, gaining levels, and having the best gear.

EDIT:  Oh, or killing players that are much lower level and/or much less equipped than oneself.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    SWG cross planet expeditions - just to explore, visit famous locations, and see the sites.
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Scale and patience. The worlds were large, and things took longer to do, but the reward at the end was much greater.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Exploration. MMOs these days ruin all the chances for exploration by adding mounts that go as fast as the speed of light (well maybe not, but you get the idea) and making game worlds feel... Well not like worlds.

Smile

• davexenodavexeno Member Posts: 11
    A community that doesn't depend on entitlement. 
  • monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Awe and wonder. When it felt like you were playing more than just a 3rd person video game.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Hope.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Feeling overwhelmed.

• cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    I miss fearing death the most.  Only games where I have actually feared my character's demise is EQ1 and Darkfall.  Makes it so much more intense.
  • cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Originally posted by SoulSurfer
    downtime

Yep, miss that too.  Used to have some great conversations "medding up" in EQ1.  Also made you value your health and mana more.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    I miss the challenge, community, grouping and actually playing a mmo that last me longer than 3 months before I get bored.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Players willing to accept unfinished or imperfect.

This.  

And on top of that, I miss when the quality of the game mattered more to people than how many boxes it sold, what its budget was or how many subs it had.  

AO had like 30k subs at one point and was the greatest MMO ever.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• usnavynucusnavynuc Member Posts: 40
    Not having to read through an ever increasing amount of threads about how "Insert newest game here" is the worst game of all times, ruined the poster's life, and the developement company is just scamming everyone.  It is completely ridiculous the amount of actual hate EACH and EVERY game recieves.  
  • usnavynucusnavynuc Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by cmorris975
    I miss fearing death the most.  Only games where I have actually feared my character's demise is EQ1 and Darkfall.  Makes it so much more intense.

Asheron's Call was like that too.  Losing all of your important items and not being able to battle back to your body to get them actually made the game more rewarding.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I miss a heavy dose of interaction with the world like was seen in UO. I miss when we could pick up a damn rock on the floor, put it in our inventory and then put it somwhere else, permanently. It added a sort of world simulation element that I still think is important if you really want to immerse your audience.

I just really miss that stuff and have been a bit surprised that more games don't take on that challenge in the MMORPG space.

• FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141
    I miss the communities. It is sad that todays communities are full of raging attention starved kids out to cause others grief. I miss people helping people, like finding a necro to help on a corpse run, or shouting in a certain area to sell your wares and not having to compete with the gold farmers and spammers. Old School communities were awesome. Cannot say the same for todays communities, especially after playing LOL for a few hours today...................(shudders)

• rissiesrissies Member Posts: 161

Having all my friends playing the same game. 

Most of us all play and write in a forum RP together ~ but video games are not so much anymore.

One reason I'm looking forward to GW2 is because a lot of them are interested in playing it.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Most missed things from Classic MMO's: 

• Boat rides to different places (actual travel times, not instant teleports)
    • Alcohol affecting vision,speech, and movement (with alcohol tolerance to level, making alcoholism fun! yay!)
    • Combining the first two things, then falling into the sea because of reason 2.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

somthing small but i still miss it.

I miss the world changeing with the seasons. in asherons call the world of Dereth changed with the seasons we have. i will never forget when winter hit and parts of the world were covered in snow, and in the mountains you would find snow men. then in spring it would melt away and only be in the mountain tops once again.

i know its not much, but its those little things that help make a MMO world feel like a fantasy world for your character to live in.

or how about buying parchment paper from a vendor to write down dungeon coords or portal coords, it came in handy since the map didnt show were everything in the world was. you had to actually explore.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

I miss running behind that one bush near the group of four trees across the river far away from town but before you reach the lugy spawns to drop some items on the ground where no one would gank my over-burdened mule in the 30 seconds he was logged in to grab the stuff.  In-game houses and guild mansions too OP.

Not being able to drop items on the ground in new school MMO's takes away something special.  Always fun to stumble across someone's tombstone from yesterday and loot some valuable death items.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Zooce

I miss running behind that one bush near the group of four trees across the river far away from town but before you reach the lugy spawns to drop some items on the ground where no one would gank my over-burdened mule in the 30 seconds he was logged in to grab the stuff.  In-game houses and guild mansions too OP.

Not being able to drop items on the ground in new school MMO's takes away something special.  Always fun to stumble across someone's tombstone from yesterday and loot some valuable death items.

or how about the first time you ran into sombody trying to mule and you killed it hopeing to find some uber loot dropped because it was a mule!! hahaha

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,062
    Everyone grouped. It wasn't forced grouping, because you could solo, but everyone grouped anyways. It was a lot better xp to group, faster, and gave you people to talk to during downtime.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I go back i am sure as far as anyone,back to Amiga/Commodore/TRS80/386 pc's but i don't miss anything from that era.I found gaming was moving along nicely when we got Ultima and Might n Magic .

Many games added a thing or two here and there but when EQ came along it was leaps and bounds above the rest.

I soon realized EQ2 and FFXI and i was very happy,these two games added things every game before it did not.

Eq2 has long been copied over and over,so i miss little.,but yes there are some i miss.I look at FFXI for MANY things i miss,but if had to pick one it would be the best sub-class system ever designed.

I was more than happy in FFXI before i even knew about the sub class system.I only learned about it when some higher level player asked me to help him,he told me and i was like wow this is cool.

I never sit pat on ANY idea in a game,i pay attention the whole way through,scrutinizing to see if it was well planned out or just an after thought.FFXI did not disappoint,the sub class design was simply amazing and tough to improve.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    Sense of community.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."