Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What killed this game for you?

Comments

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

LACK OF CONTENT!!!!!!!

If any MMo is going to keep me playing there game for more then a month. I need more then a Month of content.

Too many MMos now are relised with too little content. look at the older mmos EQ1, 2 , WoW, SWG, DAOC, Vanguard, ect... They had enouph content to keep people playing for months if not years. I was one of those people for most of these games. But now i see way to many people getting to lvl cap in the 1st month then quiting soon after becouse they are get board. I am one of those people.

I hope that the mmos industry starts to go back to games that will keep people playing there mmo for months and get away from the big 1st month paycheck and then just sit back and let there mmo slip off onto oblivion.

• JounarJounar Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by ThemePork

-Boring quests

-Zoned, static world.

-Too much instancing / loading screens

-Bad engine performance

-No mmorpg feel

-Same old themepark / WoW clone format

This ^

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    The fact it will be an MMO. I'd prefered a KOTOR 3 but whatever...

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679
    What everyone above me said.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,359
    I loved the game, just ran out of stuff to do. And I hated the pvp. Huttball sucked bad!
  • cadamlcadaml Member Posts: 37
    Was just so boring that i fell asleep playing it :(
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by dermy
    I was in beta starting in march 2011 and what is said in this thread is almost word for word what was said then.  Other then bug fixes little in this game has changed.  Failure to listen to anyone but themselves is the reason i quit.

I was in beta for 13 months and I have alpha and beta tested a lot of games.  Traditionally, devs do not listen to the feedback to the degree that most testers think/feel/believe that it should. Devs need to listen to some feedback. 

IF they are making a themepark game asking for them to drop everything and change it to sandbox is just unrealistic feedback and therefore useless.  Unless at the early stages of design they have small testbeds of varying systems they can try  on a few groups.  That might offer them better chances to address the style of game.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by dermy
    I was in beta starting in march 2011 and what is said in this thread is almost word for word what was said then.  Other then bug fixes little in this game has changed.  Failure to listen to anyone but themselves is the reason i quit.

I was in beta for 13 months and I have alpha and beta tested a lot of games.  Traditionally, devs do not listen to the feedback to the degree that most testers think/feel/believe that it should. Devs need to listen to some feedback. 

IF they are making a themepark game asking for them to drop everything and change it to sandbox is just unrealistic feedback and therefore useless.  Unless at the early stages of design they have small testbeds of varying systems they can try  on a few groups.  That might offer them better chances to address the style of game.

Not entirely useless, but certainly worth a 2nd look.

In addition to testers, a nice addition to their team might be players.  People who give feedback and evaluate what they see (Paid people not beta folk) with returns.  Not players off the street, but players who know a thing or 2 about MMORPG's.

I't's almost like the Quality Assurance department in this game was hired on the spot, off a street corner.

Candidate #1 - "Ah yup I knows about games"

Candidate #2 - "I played Matrix Online, it's really good"

Candidate #3 - "The problem with games now is they are too cheap"

Under EA guidelines, all 3 hired on the spot!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• spookymiaspookymia Member UncommonPosts: 57

For me it was feeling confined by the environment, uninteresting character customisation and meaningless dialog choices which made me feel like my char wasn't my own. I didn't find the story particulary interesting and I also found the crafting pointless and expensive.

I like the combat a lot though.

• FignarFignar Member CommonPosts: 417

Open world pvp was laughable.

Class imbalances.

Generic player models - all human with different skins.

Serious bugs in endgame and some class story quests.

Static lifeless world.

Worst customer service I have experienced in any MMO.

Way too much instancing.

The game was marketed as an MMORPG but was really a MSG.

Crafting which was pointless and not implemented very well.

Wasn't impressed with how they tied the story in with Kotor 1 and 2 I almost felt like  you spent 100+ million and this is it? Kind of ruined it for me.

Water cooled Intel Corei7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd 4.3GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM 2000Mhz - ASUS RAGE II EXTREME X58 Mobo - 2x HD 5870 in Crossfire X, OC'd 0.9Ghz core 1.3Ghz RAM - Dell 2407WFP Flat Panel LCD 24" 1920x1200

• MuratReisMuratReis Member UncommonPosts: 73
    • Level: 50
    •  Valor: ~ 65
    • Class: Sniper

I was enjoying the game enough to play everyday for some time. I was frustrated with the appearnce of the gear but believed better looking gear was in the works. I was very disappointed with the planets, quests, and overall social environment of the game, but PVP was fun.

Then came the game changing update (1.2 if I remember correctly). PVP dynamics changed for the worse. I played a few matches and quit for good. That is, the only thing that was keeping me in the game -- the only thing that I thought was good in the game -- was re-designed to suck. If anything else was done well -- planets, gear design, social environment ...- I would of stayed.

How I miss SWG...

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

^^

EA could learn a lot from SOE, which is sad.

In the end both will have a corrupt F2P system + forced sub.

/sigh

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• MuratReisMuratReis Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Karteli

^^

In the end both will have a corrupt F2P system + forced sub.

I don't understand. 

(And what does ^^ mean? :)

• joerockshahajoerockshaha Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Everything felt the same, every time i made a new char. Hated sharing the same starter zones as some other classes, the quests were always the same old crap as usual. I couldnt get past a mission on my Human Jedi which really frustrated me because no matter how many buff's i had or the different types of tatics i had for beating it, i still got destroyed. And this was at lvl 17 ><"

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

It was just not one thing but many.

(1) Game engine sucks, I hate to use that word but the game engine is what is limiting this game and the dev's lack of knowing how to optimize it to make the game fun.

(2) Not a living world on any planet. It just felt line endless walls all around that kept you confined. No day night cycles it all felt so unreal

(3) Not star wars iconic enough

(4) It is an alt game once you reach 50 that is all you have to do is either run dailies or raise another alt.

(5) Lack of content at 50

(6) The story ends at 50 then you roll an alt their story ends at 50,  so endgame as far as story goes, Once you completed the story arcs it is like any single player game what is left.

(7) space on rails.

(8) Community or lack of community,  all the infighting and the jack rabbits on servers. There was no reason to have a community and everybody is an individual.

(8) Last the game just played like a rpg,  with no mmo to it.  It really felt like KOTOR 3.

I could add others these are the major ones.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

The reason I stopped was the same old endgame of grinding instances and raids.  I'm so sick of it,  I wish it would all die in a fire ;D.  The instances themselves was very buggy.  I would loose LOS on flat surfaces then have to move around during the fight until it would let me cast.  Also as a Sage my gear was horrible looking.  I looked like I was a reject from a Lady Gaga side show.

Other than that I LOVED the leveling game and I loved the pew, pew.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

The complete shift from solo, story driven gameplay from 1-50, to a group/raid centric endgame grind.

They sold me on story, then failed to deliver it beyond the launch.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

it was just boring. classes were not unique, they were "copy paste" from WoW. pvp combat was very "static" for most classes except the God mode Sorcerers. it just didn't flow, you had to stop to execute most attacks.

zones were just not fun. felt like a twisting corridor. i didn't see 1 zone i actually wanted to go back and do over after i was done with it. there was nothing huge about the "worlds", they were just large maps where 1/4 of the map was taken up by the city. a ton of unscalalbe cliffs designed only to funnel you into the corridor. even in the open areas there was nothing to see.....just lazy and slopy.

hated the non-existing space combat. my ship was nothing more then a shuttle/extremely boring house that nobody ever saw.

cutsscenes are just not for me. space bar, space bar, space bar, space bar.

animations were sub par. couldnt stand how my Mec/perative moved only the upper part of its body when aiming to the side.

a lot of armor textures were unfinished. armor styles in all were very generic and uninspired.

the companion system made combat retadedly easy.....ok so everyone has their tank/healer/dps with them...so wtf is the point of grouping up?

the whole thing just felt "cut and paste" from all the other popular mmos, that by the way i'm sooo sick of playing by now. the only thing i found somewhat inspired was Hutball map but the calss imbalance ( Sorc anyone?) pretty much ruined it.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Ok..............first of all I knew from start that I wasn't going to play this game for too long, I knew that this game was heavily story driven and therefore I was expecting to play it for no more than 3 months.

Unfortunately I lasted only one month.

I was actually still enjoying it, but what drove me away was the frustrating waiting time to get a group for a Dungeon............and I was a Juggernaut (tank) which generally find a group in seconds in other games.

Instead I had to stay hours in the Station spamming LFG messages with no luck

I find it crazy that in 2012 an AAA MMO doesn't have the LFG tool at launch, worse there wasn't even an LFG Chat, so in order to get a group you HAD to stay in the Station and could not go and do something else while you were looking for group.

Absolutely unexcusable..............if you think SWTOR is a WOW clone, they forgot to clone the most useful feature of WoW which is the LFG Tool.

Bioware = Noobs

Sorry to say that, because I used to loved them.

• EllieAnneEllieAnne Member Posts: 23

Ditto what a lot of people said.

1)  The quests being almost exactly the same for all of the alts.  No race quests to break up the monotony.

2)  PvP.  I'm more of a PvE player but for me, there was no PvP. Instead it was just a bunch of mindless minigames. 

3)  No engame.  Story over?  Time to make an alt.

Combine 2 and 3.  Could you imagine if Coruscant were an open world PvP for level 50s where you fought for control of the planet by controlling key points like the Jedi Temple and Senate Building?  And controlling a key point helped give your side advantages like Jedi Temple = +10% willpower.  And that is just off the top of my head and it's better than what BW came up with.

4)  The worlds were too big.  It took to long to get from one place to another considering it was not a sandbox and there really was no chance to explore.  If the game is going to be so linear, at least make it quick to get from one place to another.

5)  Classes seemed to not be specialized enough.  My Jedi Sage healer?  Other classes make better healers.  Juggernaut?  Just never seemed to work as a tank.  Sniper?  Actually pretty good at her job.  Ambush would result in a one shot kill for lower level.

6)  Races were disappointing.  Outfits were disappointing (no graphic reward for crits).  Social interaction is a joke.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

too much unbalanced classes

and i HATE th BoP in items, and swtor had too many BoP.

but plz dont say that the game ends after hitting 50 and forced to reroll alts. NOT a single 1 MMO has unlimited lvls and NONE stop at the lvl cap, ALL MMOs after lvl cap have heroics, instances, raids.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Stuttering
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

1) No MMO space combat - In a Star Wars game of all things

2) No Dungeon finder

3) Linear questing - boring leveling an alt of the same faction as 80% or more of the content is repeated

3) Ilum debacle and piss poor response to exploiters

• Byne25Byne25 Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by KissThaRing

The point of this thread is not to bash EA or Bioware, but to focus on why you quit this game. I want to hear from players that actually played the game and got to atleast level 40 or so, and did some pvp and maybe some end game raids. I want to hear from real players, not the guys that are just trolling this game because they hate EA or just want to see the game fail.

So what is about the game (not the company or developers) that you hated the most? What was the "breaking point" for you? For me, it was mainly pvp.

1. Gear. Gear, gear, gear... the gear in this game is stupid. Those that have the greatest gear, win. In SWG, there was many moments where I would be out-buffed but because of my wits, I would win a 1v1 battle or even a 2vs1 battle simply because I knew how to play my class and would outwit people. I can't count the number of hate tells I would get from Jedi (post-NGE, of course) accusing me of hacking because I would punk them as BM/Mando with only a row of buffs, while they had two rows of buffs. It was a great feeling to be able to know that a class was only as good as the player. In TOR? None of that. If you have augemented WH gear, you win. Every time. Breaking point for me.

2. Stun Wars. Stun, knocked back, pulled, froze, choked, lifted, grappled.. OMFG, the second you start a war zone and go the objective point, you are greeted with which seems like an infinite amount of crowd control. I have NEVER played a game with so much damn CC. It's so ridiculous, how can anyone see this as fun? And why does EVERY class get godly CC? Where is the specialization? There should be a class devoted to CC, instead everyone can annoy everyone at all times. It's just not fun. Period. Breaking point.

3. Soul. No soul, nothing memorable at all in this game. Everything from the story to the way your armor looks, is just generic and bland (speaking of armor, why can't I change the color? Really? 2012 and no color options for armor? Come on man! Get with it!)  And the voice acting...oh yes, the almighty voice acting.  Okay, tell me this: since when was story telling narrating and holding your hand through every damn quest? I dont WANT YOU to read me a BOOK!  I want to play your game, not sit through cut scene after cut scene of some shmuck telling me everything! Wheres the mystery in that? Look at Chrono Trigger, or FFIII / IV, great story telling, no voice acting. No long narration about some crap that doesn't matter. The best story games have breif and to the point dialouge that means something! All the dialouge in TOR is garbage, and none of it really means anything. Theres no humor, love, soul.. its just "We have voice actors so sit through 100+ hours of this guy rambling because we paid money 200 mill to have this done!"

Those were the top 3 breaking points to me. This doesn't include the billion minor annoyances from World level design (Would love to kick the guy in the nuts that designed Belsavis) to the awful, god awful loading times. In conclusion, TOR was just a giant disappointed. So what was it for you? I'm interested in hearing what killed the game for you. Again, I'm looking for people who actually played and perhaps even enjoyed the game or what it was.

I agree with all those that you mentioned. I still sub to the game but I dont know how much longer. I wanted to explore the galaxy more not just on planets but in space. I wanted to hang trophies or hunt. I dont always want to be in a  war setting all the time. PvP has just been horrible for me. The stuns and knockbacks along with the gear for pvp has been aweful for me. I am hoping they expand this game some more regarding the areas I was talking about. and that you have mentioned. I dont really care for the cinematics as much as I do the mechanics of the game. I truly hope the game gets better but like I said I dont know how much longer i wll sub. Throw me a carrot Bioware!

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by defector1968

too much unbalanced classes

and i HATE th BoP in items, and swtor had too many BoP.

but plz dont say that the game ends after hitting 50 and forced to reroll alts. NOT a single 1 MMO has unlimited lvls and NONE stop at the lvl cap, ALL MMOs after lvl cap have heroics, instances, raids.

Yes but how many times can a person do those same heroics, instances and raids before they cant take it anymore? I think the game ending after 50 thing is the lack of diversity. TOR simply has none at all. After level 50 there is nothing at all to do but to do it all again.

The game doesn't allow us to be in a mood for this one day and a mood for that another.