Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What killed this game for you?

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

For me it was a few things.. all of them game breakers..

1) too much instancing.. every other corner I was zoning into a private instance.. 

2) not enough open world events.. the world itself wasn't alive, it was just just hurdles to jump over to and from all those private instances..

3) again the open world made no sense such as Taris and Alderaan. Same world at different levels depending on which side you were on.. /boggled

4) leveling was too fast and WAY TOO LINEAR (replaying with an alt was boring as hell)

5) end game gear grind .. I hate this formula of playing

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

As some have said, I loved leveling up but the endgame was entirely lacking for me.

I made 50 as Sith Assassin then 50 as Mercenary, had a 41 Juggernaut and few others in the 20-30s range, just ran out of fun after awhile.

I don't really see the game as dead or gone though, I know I'll return someday, but right now someday won't likely be till sometime next year at the soonest.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Boring side stories. Dead feeling worlds.

I think low populated planets sucked. I think it would be better off if it didn't actually tell you there are only 3 other players on the planet.

This is a problem with most games I play now adays. I guess instances that take players out of the world can be thanked.

I would like to play a game where players are always kept in the world no matter what they are doing.

• unknown769unknown769 Member Posts: 45

inbalance ,the solo playing feels   and the old mmo style in the game. ,it get bored for me really fast. and the pvp was meh ;/

thast mi experience

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Load screens, load screens, load screens.

Single player game with co-op instead of  being a real MMORPG.

Performance.

Mirrored classes that were neither truly mirrored or even remotely balanced.

Super Mario Brothers Datacron Adventures  They weren't even for something cosmetic.  They were for STATS and they called them optional for MMORPG players.  Not sure they ever played an mmorpg, raided, or min/maxed at all.

Taking out LS/DS requirements of color crystals that fit lore and had a neutral option but leaving in DS/LS requirements for relics that had no neutral option. 

LS/DS choices that made no sense with their given value of being light or dark.

Text choices that lead to an audible reply by your character that wasn't close to what you picked text wise.

Instances, instances, instances for everything.

Horrible looking gear.

Intentional spreading out of people because of poor engine performance.

Design to avoid having any real community.

The game felt rushed.  Every patch added as many bugs as it fixed.  And, we had to wait for planned features which you could tell were to replace placeholder designs(UI).

Frantic changing of game direction to try to lure in more people and stop the flow of people leaving.

Just off the top of my head...

• PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104

For me it was 5 main things that ruined the game for me:

1:   The stale, lifeless, dull worlds (no day/night cycle, weather, swimming, wildlife, moving-active npcs,etc)

2:   Lame race selection at character creation screen (Star Wars IP and BW just has mostly humoid races, what???)

3:  Basically 2 types of quests that got real boring, real fast (kill x mobs, and collect y items).

4:  A cutscene for every damn quests, sorry that is ok for like, maybe the main class quests, but after about 10 quest scenes, I spacebared every one because I didnt care)

5:  Excessive load sceens.

This game made me wished I played SWG back in 2003-2005. :(

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

A few things killed this game for me, pvp was the main thing since the system is terrible- the gear grind is just atrocious. Secondly is how the devs are handling the game, I should've known better over a year ago when devs completely ignored our feedback on not wanting a WoW clone game, and what they're doing per patch, such as giving out craftable battlemaster and war hero gear for players to craft (and to try and get augments on crits) then the next patch giving out augment kits that you can use on any gear- kind of a punch in the face for those crafters (and those shoppers spending millions on the gear and trying to get valor 70). That's just one of them.

[mod edit]

• bangobeebangobee Member UncommonPosts: 3

Ilum was Crap!! Warzones just to many huttball games. and the roll on the items from bosex was like WTF i got 18 pair of gloves hehehe so that was the nail in the cofin. 

Lvling was fun and fast  we run in a grp of 3 or 4 so we just steam roll all qs even the elite was easy in grps. but as soon u got to lvl 50 ................. there was nothing but daily qs few flash points one or 2 raids and crapy PvP. and all i was looking for was masive PvP wars like in SWG in the old good days at anchor  great crafting and open space to explore not a closed space. SW is all a bout space and travel explore there was just not enough.

it may be cos i played SWG for some time and i love the movies and some how the game did not full fit those memorys for me

sry a but my English not to good 

• bangobeebangobee Member UncommonPosts: 3

All they had to do was to Create another SWG pre nge 

but thats just me 

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    You assume the game has been "killed" for everyone. You are wrong. There are many who love the game as it is, and hopeful for the future of the game.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

It was a combination of things for me. 

1) Friends had quit / were dropping like flies

2) 1.2 broke pvp completely for me with the balance changes, i did not enjoy the new gibfest style pvp. Time to kill went way down. For me pvp was a huge part of the game and probably the only reason I played past the 2nd month. I had a great time doing it and really loved doing it on alts as well. It really hit me when my sorc hit level 50 right after 1.2 hit and I was virtually incapable of any form of survivability without playing very well. The 10-49 pvp was always a blast though. (Only thing I would be interested in doing in the F2P model) And no, not having ranked in 1.2 was not a turn off for me. For me, I was actually scared it would come out and people would never get ques while at the same time slowing down normal ones. Not to mention that absolutely MASSIVE grind for War hero gear when that came out.

3)I thought raid content was "ok" but the bugs really hurt it for me. I was a raid leader and trying to convince people to keep going when the only reason you are not progressing is because Soa's platform is not spawning, tank threat is broken on the fight, mechanics that were not entirely unavoidable but behaving in ways that you would not expect a quality game to have. (IE: lightning balls not going away before a falling platform transition on Soa) Hell, I think most of my irks with raid content surround soa.

4) Sigh, I did not want to bloat one bullet point so I will say this one is Explosive Conflict. The bosses were great, but the instance was way too easy still and we were pretty much done with it a couple of weeks in. Only 4 bosses was awful, not to mention the amount of trash was pretty high.

5) Too easy to gear up. My bounty hunter had full rakata in a little over a week after launch roughly (Short of the weapon, since it was not available yet) This was obviously also due to drops, but the progression was just way too fast overall. Pretty much my whole raid short of maybe one person had full Rakata minus the weapon before the first content patch even hit. Also just a note, we only raided two nights a week for 4 hours and had ALOT of attendance issues near the end of the month) Not to mention how quickly you could get full Columi in like a couple of days doing flashpoints and it was only VERY SLIGHTLY lower stats then the raid gear and was just a different color.

6) Illum, honestly do I need to say anything else? It was REALLY bad at launch and ultimately resulted in cap trading on most servers, then...somehow Bioware managed to make it WORSE. Then they just scrapped it all together. Although this was not as big of a deal to me as it was to some other people, I feel like this was a missed opportunity.

7) The "oh, right." Moment I had at 50 after completing the class story. The game essentially became a lower quality version of WoW or Rift complete with daily quests.Yeah, rolling alts was a huge plus, but to me the story quality was not high enough for me to tredge through the poor planet quests. Rolling alts I typically just pvped all the way to max level while doing story quests.

8)The quality of the new content outside of Warzones and Flashpoints. Yeah, Karaggas was decent, but not that great. Flashpoints were always short lasted as well since there was no reason to do them other then one time since everyone outgeared them. The new daily quests in 1.2 (mind you I don't totally hate daily quests if they are done right) were solid in terms of quest design but made me really think about how naive I was when it comes to VO. Since launch they have barely added any, short of stuff that was probably pre-recorded for the new flashpoints. The new daily quests were, correct me if im wrong, all but one was on a billboard machine. That, to me, is a bit of a copout. 

9) Terrible auction house

I think that about sums it up, this post became way bigger then I expected..lol 

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

For me, the game just felt like playing a singleplayer.. For a singleplayer game the game wasn't any good either. 

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

For me the failiings were:

1) Endgame gear grind when we were originally told that small groups could advance to top, but after launch you had to raid.

2) Stat based advancement lead to the compulsion (need really) to complete the insane platform jumping puzzles (at least in gw2 they do not permantly give you stats making them a requirement to advance).

3) Loading screen overload (and I use an SSD, I can't imagine it on a disc drive).

4) Practically nothing to do outside crafting and combat.  No pazaak, no racing, no entertainer stuff.  For a game that tracks social points, it is pretty much devoid of game sponsered events that dont involve crafting or killing. (WoW is a stellar example of how to run and provide non combat events).

5) After playing Tera and GW2 the combat feels old and slow.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• DeeMarieDeeMarie Member Posts: 21

Two issues killed the game for me:

Tech problems - patches wouldn't download/install correctly which meant days of sitting around waiting for them to fix it. Annoying but not a huge problem. What did kill it for me was when some bright fellow customer found a workaround which let us play straight away...and subsequently got threatened with action and shut down. They claimed, because his workaround meant they couldn't identify the issue because we weren't trying to download their broken files for days on end.

Single Player - reaching level 40 and realising I was repeating the same grind quests over and over , just on different rails, and that I'd spent more time in conversation with my companions than any other player in the game. One mostly silent dungeon was the most social interaction I'd had. Just lacked what I consider an MMO and at that point all the grind became a pointless job rather than fun.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

I'm just burned out on standard theme park MMO's, and SWTOR is very standard.

I had fun for a month or two, but after reaching 50 decided to pack it in.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Originally posted by vmoped

For me the failiings were:

1) Endgame gear grind when we were originally told that small groups could advance to top, but after launch you had to raid.

2) Stat based advancement lead to the compulsion (need really) to complete the insane platform jumping puzzles (at least in gw2 they do not permantly give you stats making them a requirement to advance).

3) Loading screen overload (and I use an SSD, I can't imagine it on a disc drive).

4) Practically nothing to do outside crafting and combat.  No pazaak, no racing, no entertainer stuff.  For a game that tracks social points, it is pretty much devoid of game sponsered events that dont involve crafting or killing. (WoW is a stellar example of how to run and provide non combat events).

5) After playing Tera and GW2 the combat feels old and slow.

Cheers!

God I just thought of like 5 more bullet points reading your post...almost forgot about social points, lol...what a joke those came to be, Praxis speeder anyone? (lol) But i will only list one more bullet!

10) Played the first GW2 beta weekend and all wow-style mmo combat just felt terrible afterwards.

• DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475

It is a solo leveling game to 50 and then you can get by doing solo pvp or the odd flashpoint.  Where is the MMORPG in that ?

There is no trade game as noone needs to buy much from the auction house and very litte expertise needed to craft

Very little to help guilds develop and establsih an identity.   

No commun ity when they ban/suspend peopel who are characrters in chat just becase a bunch of dweebs report them and they can interpret their rules to claim they are breaking the TOS/EULA by upsetting some dweebs.

Not enough to work for in end game - certainly before the mass exodus.

Not enough specis variety 

As usual they start giving crap away to peopel that won't group or grind gear.    If peopel can get crap they wont grind or group.. they pretend the crap is good gear and well why not if another pile of crap will be along later to oo and aar over .

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Ahnog
    You assume the game has been "killed" for everyone. You are wrong. There are many who love the game as it is, and hopeful for the future of the game.

Haha! And maybe this thread was not intended for those Folks? Maybe?...image

• Half_Man_Half_ToonHalf_Man_Half_Toon Member Posts: 156
    for me it was the community talking allot of bad stuff about the game and since I play Aion online for 2 and a half years I did not want to be playing a game nobody like and be a hardcore die hard defending the game I love I just wanted to play a famouse game that is not grindy and a enjoyable game that has allot of replay  value to it, Sadly i bought the Star Wars The old Republic Collecters edition for 130 dollers if I am right and quite the game but good think  is that is going Free To play soon.
  • Half_Man_Half_ToonHalf_Man_Half_Toon Member Posts: 156
    I am happy the ncsoft and arena net made a awsome game call guild wars 2 I am a die hard Ncsoft gamer! I love ther MMO games.
  • GerrigGerrig Member Posts: 30
    What killed it for me is that it was painfully boring. Truly felt like a single player game with other players running around in the background. Sure, my lack of involvement is a factor aswell, but the game didnt push communative behavior. Would have prefered a pure single player game instead, which is what I returned to. And am no fan of storyline MMOs. Dont mind a lore and myths and stories told within the game pushing reasons forward why things are done and what has happend. Byt sotrng storyline driven main quests with cinematics in mid game is bad.
  • rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

in order to answer your question I would need to spend an hour writting out a 10000 word essay about the many flaws of the game.

No thank you.

I would rather just say that if they hadnt of tried to "redfine the MMORPG genre" and just sold it as a single player game with online capabilities I would have enjoyed it far more with the vastly lower expectations...oh, and without the subscription also.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    PvP is what killed the game for me.  Not that it has it, but becuase it's done so poorly.  Gear based pvp takes away the skill and same faction warzones takes away the variety of players you go up against.  PvP is always my endgame, not raids or  pve dailies. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ShadoGearShadoGear Member Posts: 46
    1. Graphics - didn't look that spectacular, had to play everything on low especially with other players around, even though my laptop isn't sluggish in performance.
    2. The world seemed empty and without atmosphere, even when you were in your factions space station.
    3. Finding a group to run instances with seemed to take forever.
    If those had have been up to scratch i would still be playing it> i enjoyed the PVP warzones, especially hutball (i'm sure blizzard are kicking themselves for not thinking of something like this for WoW first).
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I never played this game, so you might not want my opinion, but there are two things that stopped me from trying it. The first is the fact that they talked about the game as being heavily story based. This, to me, implies a very linear gameplay and the large amount of VO's implied alot of time spent watching dialogue which doesn't suit my preference. 

So sorry if my post is construed as trolling, seeing that I didn't actually play, but if it wasn't for those couple things, I may very well have been a participant in the game.  

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.