Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason theres no DX 11:

Comments

• ApolyonBSApolyonBS Member UncommonPosts: 23

When they say a GW2 version, does that mean that it will be the same MMO but available for consoles, or just a new game based on the GW universe made for consoles? And if it was the MMO, how the hell would they implement the floor target skills?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Elesthor

Its not impossible though. They managed to give a half-decent gamepad support on TERA and although It wasn't better than keyboard/mouse it proved that it can be done.

this was datamined from the updated BWE3 files -- unclear its intentions tho

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/details-emerge-dat-data-push/

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by xenogias
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I don't see what's stopping them from having a DX11 rendering path. The fact that there's going to be a console version (would be XBox only then?) has nothing to do with that.

This said, if they ever make a console version, I hope it will be on separate servers. The last thing the PC version needs is the servers invaded by the xbox kiddies. But I'm quite confident servers will be different, the client will also need to be seriously dumbed down to fit console controlers since everything now relies on mouse usage. My guess is that the console gameplay will be different and much more simplistic than the PC gameplay, if it ever happens.

Why would it have to be dumbed down? There were a ton of people that used xpadder and played WoW with and Xbox 360 controller. There are more than enough inputs to effectively play WoW, so I can't see GW2 being a problem.

Whats funny is everyone seems to forget FF10 is on playstation. I wouldnt really call that game "dumbed down". The only thing that really showed in it was the controlls where wierd on PC. Other than that they didnt sacrifice much of anything to make it console friendly.

It's FFXI, and that title got developed for consoles and ported to the PC (I personally played an import version on japanese console with modem tunneled through a private network before the PC version was out, PS2 launch in Japan was in May 2002, the PC version for EU was launched in september 2004, NA october 2003).

So that was the other way around (Anet has stated a console version is definitely something they want to do but they want to have the PC version running satisfactory before that).

But regardless, I don't see why porting it to a console version would impact the PC DX renderer used.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MorydinMorydin Member UncommonPosts: 78

Don't know if this was already posted or not but this announcment has be rebutted by ArenaNet already: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/2309-console-version/page__view__findpost__p__97331

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by Morydin

Don't know if this was already posted or not but this announcment has be rebutted by ArenaNet already: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/2309-console-version/page__view__findpost__p__97331

It has been worded by them differently in different media. Can't find the link atm but elsewhere they stated it's definitely something they would want to do but indeed are still investigating posibilities.

I think the main problem will be the usage of the xbox/PS networks (3d party servers aren't possible just like that) and is one of the reasons not many mmo's have made it to consoles yet even when they had solid plans for it. Also for example would you need to have an xbox live / psn sub for it, which would basically go against the B2P model.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Hope they don't do a console version. Don't give a damn about DX11 either way otehr than thinking it looks pretty...but I'm more concerned that cross-platform MMOs have not done all that well.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by terrant
    Hope they don't do a console version. Don't give a damn about DX11 either way otehr than thinking it looks pretty...but I'm more concerned that cross-platform MMOs have not done all that well.

They would be stupid to not do a console version. They would be stupid to have the console players and the PC players playing together too. They don't strike me as stupid though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

What I'm worried about is that they dumb down the game... you just can't react as fast with a console controler than you do with a PC with a good mouse. But if they keep the two really totally separated, then why not... as long as they don't dumb down the PC content to be playable with a controller, it's more money for the company.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by lilHeala
     Also for example would you need to have an xbox live / psn sub for it, which would basically go against the B2P model.

minor correction

XBOX Live requires additional fees

PS3 internet does not  - for example, I can watch Netflix on the PS3 or Wii with no additional fees

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    The console version is no reason not to have DX11. It is an entirely different platform. They could simply roll out a patch for pc users to have DX11. The real reaosn is that they are paranoid many people have old comps and can't run DX11 not to mention they do not want to go through fixing DX11 if it doesn't work.  Pretty much a failed concept not to have DX11 in the game since today you can go buy cheap comps for close to $500.00 that run Win7 or Vista on it. They just don't want to be bothered with it. Also DX9 was rolled out around the end 2001. Old tech for a premium price, gotta love ArenaNet right ? 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

What I'm worried about is that they dumb down the game... you just can't react as fast with a console controler than you do with a PC with a good mouse. But if they keep the two really totally separated, then why not... as long as they don't dumb down the PC content to be playable with a controller, it's more money for the company.

My real concern is UI and communication. Every MMO I've seen that launched on consoles has had horribly clunky UI and chat systems to accomodate the fact that consoles just don't handle that sort of thing well. IF they keep the two 100% separate, Heck let em do what I want. Just don't gimp this game to bring the xbox kids or whatever on.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I've been a PC MMO gamer for 12+ years and I would be overjoyed to be able to play GW2 on my 360 or upcoming 720.

I would be super, super overjoyed if I could play the same toon(s) on the same servers etc. with either my 360/720 or my PC.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

I always drop my games to Direct X 9 to improve the framerate, and this is with a GTX 670, 32 GB RAM, 120gb SSD for OS and 250gb SSD for games, i7 2700 (not overclocked yet though)

IMO, the graphical improvements in Direct X 11 don't justify the extra GPU power used, and I need 120 fps to take advantage of my 120hz monitor (BENQ XL2420T)  and Vsync enabled. With the hope of pulling off 120 fps in Guild Wars 2,  I'll be trying to overclock my CPU to 5.0ghz with the Corsair H100 water cooler. Having DX11 is just going to slow me down, so bring on the DX9.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Not too fond of the gfx in the game overall... not sure that it's a lack of DX-11 or just some overly colorful art choices.

What IS nice is that it played super smooth, even with a beta debug layer running.

Looking forward to live...

Originally posted by BadSpock

I've been a PC MMO gamer for 12+ years and I would be overjoyed to be able to play GW2 on my 360 or upcoming 720.

I would be super, super overjoyed if I could play the same toon(s) on the same servers etc. with either my 360/720 or my PC.

It doesn't happen often, but here I'm gonna disagree with you Spocky :)

If PC and console end on the same server, they will affect each other, and obviously, the PC version will be simplified to console controler level. I just can imagine the whines already... "zomg PC gamers are advantaged, they have a mouse and mouselook, nerf them plz!!!!".

So I really, really hope that if they have make that move, it will be on totally separated servers. And I suspect ANet are also smart enough to realize that.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

If PC and console end on the same server, they will affect each other, and obviously, the PC version will be simplified to console controler level. I just can imagine the whines already... "zomg PC gamers are advantaged, they have a mouse and mouselook, nerf them plz!!!!".

Looking at how streamlined the interface is, this actually already happened, right under the ever-watchful eyes of the PC-police, and noone actually noticed. 

I'm with the Vulcan on this one. Kicking back on the couch with my 360 controller sounds great. What do I care if it's connected to a PC or a console...

Originally posted by Naqaj

Looking at how streamlined the interface is, this actually already happened, right under the ever-watchful eyes of the PC-police, and noone actually noticed. 

Not a matter of PC police but common sense. Mouselook is infinitely superior to any controler. Controler is like going back to keyboard turning.

I'm with the Vulcan on this one. Kicking back on the couch with my 360 controller sounds great. What do I care if it's connected to a PC or a console...

No problem with a console version. But 100% separated from the PC one.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

They just followed GW1 in this way. Has nothing to do with console gaming. GW1 was a very streamlined game so they just continued this way.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Not a matter of PC police but common sense. Mouselook is infinitely superior to any controler. Controler is like going back to keyboard turning.

Without a doubt. But look how many people are playing happily with their keyboard turning. Are they ever going to do competitive PVP with that? Of course not! Doesn't mean they shouldn't play the game at all. 

Without a doubt. But look how many people are playing happily with their keyboard turning. Are they ever going to do competitive PVP with that? Of course not! Doesn't mean they shouldn't play the game at all. 

Of course not, but if you add a platform which relies on an inferior control mechanism, and put it on the same servers than a platform with a superior control mechanism, they will be disadvantaged and complain about it, and actually rightfully so. Then you have two solutions... nerf the PC version, or put console versions on separated servers.

If console version there is, the players of that version should be able to expect balanced PvP matches against people using the same control system than their own, and not being steamrolled by full groups of PC mouselook users.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Dont most consoles have the ability to support a mouse and keyboard? Why cant they use that on an xbox 360 or PS3?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

its been proven repeatedly that keyboard+mouse gives a significant advantage over a console style gamepad, which, given the competitive nature of PVP, it would mean, that PC players would be loathe to allow console players onto their team/side because they would represent a disadvantage/handicap, the only way to fix this issue, would be either to have seperate servers for consoles, or to somehow negate the 'mechanical' advantage that PC players have. I don't think thats the direction that PC players would be all that happy with though, nerfing their gameplay just to suit the console player, can only create bad feeling.image

Originally posted by gravesworn
    Dont most consoles have the ability to support a mouse and keyboard? Why cant they use that on an xbox 360 or PS3?

The same reason most PC games can accept a controller, but you don't see people using them.

Console players are more comfortable with a controller, PC players with a mouse and keyboard.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Denambren

I always drop my games to Direct X 9 to improve the framerate, and this is with a GTX 670, 32 GB RAM, 120gb SSD for OS and 250gb SSD for games, i7 2700 (not overclocked yet though)

IMO, the graphical improvements in Direct X 11 don't justify the extra GPU power used, and I need 120 fps to take advantage of my 120hz monitor (BENQ XL2420T)  and Vsync enabled. With the hope of pulling off 120 fps in Guild Wars 2,  I'll be trying to overclock my CPU to 5.0ghz with the Corsair H100 water cooler. Having DX11 is just going to slow me down, so bring on the DX9.

I disagree, a game that uses all the DX11 features available looks 10x better than DX9 can, should also run really good as well.
     Especially on your rig LOL not much out there would tax that system.. maybe Crysis 2 with all the high res textures and maxed out dx11 settings but still will be very playable and look amazing to boot.. There is no need to have 120fps really i find anything over 40fps to be nice and smooth... I have a similar spec system to you a bit less ram and 2x ati 6850s..

AS for overclocking i knocked my 2700k up to 4.6ghz by jsut changing the clock settings in the bios.. hell the average cpu didnt even increase hehe.. also using water cooler but the corsair h80 i think.. :) 2700ks love to be overclocked im sure i could get 5ghz out of it but no game would even use it so its pointless stressing it out too much at the moment lol :)