Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When GW2 fails, what's next mmo you're going to be irrationally hyped about?

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

If GW2 fails like TOR / Warhammer / Aion then no other mmo is going to be succesfull.

From all the mmo's that are comming or in Development at this time GW2 holds the best cards to compete with WoW.

There will be no other mmo that can stand up versus the King of the hill at this time.

Hype or no hype, GW2 has the best cards and best features to fight WoW's numbers.

Altough it has no sub, its still the best mmo comming out in the many years ahead of us.

So OP, if GW2 fails no other mmo comes even close as they dont even compare to GW2.

Fanboys or not, just check how long GW2 is top dog on the hype meter.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by Mothanos

If GW2 fails like TOR / Warhammer / Aion then no other mmo is going to be succesfull.

From all the mmo's that are comming or in Development at this time GW2 holds the best cards to compete with WoW.

There will be no other mmo that can stand up versus the King of the hill at this time.

Hype or no hype, GW2 has the best cards and best features to fight WoW's numbers.

Altough it has no sub, its still the best mmo comming out in the many years ahead of us.

So OP, if GW2 fails no other mmo comes even close as they dont even compare to GW2.

Fanboys or not, just check how long GW2 is top dog on the hype meter.

By your own argument then WoW should be the top of the released MMOs? You talk about GW2 being able to compete with WoW and then talk about it being top of the hype meter, by that rationale then WoW should be the top released game that GW2 competes with, what you might find is that MMORPG.com is not representative of the general MMORPG community but is instead a discussion forum which is fairly biased towards anti-WoW and has its own "opinion" and "views" on what new MMORPGs shoudl look like.

I think GW2 will be successful by its own measure, I dont think it will be anything close to the phenomenom WoW was but I doubt any MMORPG will be that way EVER again. It's good that it is B2P much like D3 when I get bored ill just stop caring for it and not have to worry about it.

• tomato_kwantomato_kwan Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by jusomdude

I can't say I'm hyped about GW2. Slightly interested in the WvW.

Anyways, my next MMO Jesus to save me from the pits of boredom will be that one where you plug your brain directly into the game and view the game world through your actual eyes and it reacts off your thoughts, so if you think you're swinging a sword, that's what you do in game. And if you die in the game, the game reads your mind to find out what your personal paradise would be like and places you there. GON BE SO EPIC!

The Japanese are developing that.

They can BARELY control movement of charater at this moment....not to mention they can't really move exactly the way they wanted to. You probably have to wait for another 5 years.

And you need to hook up a bunch of wires onto your head.

• heatzzheatzz Member Posts: 6
    The next over-hype mmo should be Titans.
  • jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    Originally posted by Emerwyn

What game are you looking forward to getting overhyped after GW2?

No one is looking forward to getting overhyped ! That actual should go without saying. But fans will offcause be hyped and looking forward to a game that actual delivers something that justify the hype.

Can you realise that you are overhyped? properly not, because the realisation should bring your hype level down. And if you are overhyped you for sure shouldn't look for something after GW2.

So OP's question can properly not be answered. And as such might even be considered a troll question

Now is GW2 fans overhyped? Ofcause alot are, and that should be easy to agree upon because alot simply hasn't grasped what it is GW2 do so different and alot hasn't realised that GW2 will not bring them out of their love/hate relationship with the traditional MMO setup, simply because they are not done with it yet. And that GW2 can't do for them.

If going a little with OP and just ask what the next big thing after GW2 could be for gw2 fans, it's unfortunatly not that easy to point out. And that is because GW2 actual does so many things different that it could take some time before a compagny hits something that is an evolution of that. And you properly will not see the real ArenaNet fans jump ship, because of the next standard MMO clone.

except the overhyped, that is not done with traditional MMO setups.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by tomato_kwan

Anyways, my next MMO Jesus to save me from the pits of boredom will be that one where you plug your brain directly into the game and view the game world through your actual eyes and it reacts off your thoughts, so if you think you're swinging a sword, that's what you do in game. And if you die in the game, the game reads your mind to find out what your personal paradise would be like and places you there. GON BE SO EPIC!

They can BARELY control movement of charater at this moment....not to mention they can't really move exactly the way they wanted to. You probably have to wait for another 5 years.

i though games was created to be fun xD

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

When GW2 does well, what's the next MMO you're going to hope fails?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by p_c_sousa

but you play TSW (you will even resub) and say is a great game.

post history, someone think it dont exist on this forum....

No issues saying yes i will re-sub to TSW i was suprised how much fun the game is for a themepark game and I do think its the best themepark out there... does it come close to games like darkfall, mortal online, UO and other sandbox games.. nope not at all.. at least not for me but i like sandbox type games.. thats just me..

If anyone was looking to play a new fantasy themepark MMORPG then i would tell them to wait for GW2.. but ive done the fantasy themepark to death and GW2 is not different enough to pull me in and in fact i got bored of it... totally the opposite with TSW, it was different enough for me to want to continue playing..

Anyway this is getting off topic now..

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Archeage - most definitely. 
  • seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

Why would anyone want an MMO, they aren't interested in, fail? What kind of attitude is this?

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

Why would anyone want an MMO, they aren't interested in, fail? What kind of attitude is this?

This was a response to the title, it wasn't an actual question.

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339
    Originally posted by Emerwyn

Yeah I'm curious about this, because it's the same every year. Conan, Warhammer, Aion, ToR, Rift, Diablo 3, etc.

It's like everyone is bored of whatever they're playing and they wish so hard for a new game to end their boredom that they just exercise an irrational hype towards a game that ends up dying out in 1-3 months. Not to say the games per se fail, as they usually have a good number of sales and/or subscriptions, but then suddenly the game wasn't so good and everyone's getting hyped about the next thing.

So, since I'm getting a bit weary of seeing so much pointless overhyping about GW2, and that's making me feel like not playing it at all, I'm going to ask:

What game are you looking forward to getting overhyped after GW2?

at least change your title to "if".

To answer your question, I won't get overhyped to any mmo after GW2 unless those mmos happen to do an even better job than what GW2 is doing while being B2P. Besides, I am gonna take it slowly with this game and enjoy every little bit of it.

Though I must say, I'd be probably playing Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2 in between my GW2 gaming sessions. These 3 games will last me a whhhhiiilllle :).

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• beat_downbeat_down Member UncommonPosts: 46
    FFXIV 2.0 will be what I obsess over next when I ultimately get bored of GW2.
  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Prove why thinking GW2 is going to be good is 'irrational'? Many who have played it think it is good, based on the UNPRECEDENTED level of beta access and the UNPRECENDENTED level to which what the Dev's have said would be in the game, IS in the game....

.... a situation which contrasts significantly compared to every single other title you mention - hence my emphasis on the word UNPRECEDENTED. I thought you might miss it if I ddn't make it clear to you - my apologies if you feel that's an unfair assumption - but then as I like GW2 you have by default labelled me 'irrational' have you not?

You are of course the one being irrational, because thinking that 'hype = fail' is children's playground 'logic' and unworthy of anyone even pretending to have the slightest idea of what critical analysis is. You might as well start claiming that because the last four coin flips were heads the next one must be. To the truly irrational thinker there seems to be a relationship - but really, there isn't.

Do your homework before spouting your baseless dogma - GW2 has a number of things you can legitimately criticise - stick to those if you don't want egg on your face....

... but then to be specific in your criticism, you would of course have to know what it's flaws ARE....

.... and if you are just another sad troll - well - at least the pearls I have scattered before the swine didn't cost me anything....

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Unprecedented beta access? Ehm, no.

How many times have betas been the entire foundation for games being fantastic before release? It's happened with more MMOs than I care to count.

No amount of beta access will reveal how the game works in the long-term. Not even ArenaNet can truly know how successful their long-terms strategy is. They're just hoping and relying on their own ability to design games.

Personally, I think GW2 will be quite successful with a significant segment of the audience - but it won't be the long-term home for millions of players. I just don't see that happening. In 3-6 months, the activity will resemble other established MMOs - but that's just guesswork.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

I have been super hyped up about playing GW2 since their first announcement

I still am super hyped up about playing GW2 after playing all beta's

I am/will be interested in Wild-Star while playing GW2.

Their must always be ONE hyped up game :-)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    GW2 won't fail because it's success isn't hanging on subs. That said, I'm looking forward to archage and ill be able to play it at Korean launch

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    just need GW2 be sucessful enough so they can make a GW3 and most important: continues listen player feedback like Arenanet do at least until now, this is very important, ignore players and obvious a game will fail
  • ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

@OP Your trolling attempt is pathetic. People foresaw the fail with most games after trying it. I played Swtor beta i and knew it. I played TERA beta and i knew it.

Hundreds of Thousands of players who played the Beta all had a blast. GW2 is not overhyped. It has actually zero hype. Anet delivered every single aspect to the game they have promised and they succeded at that.

GW2 is the best MMO ever created, period. And you get to play it without letting the Developers milk you like a cow.

PM me your ingame account name when you purchase GW2 so you can apologize to me when you start playing.

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266
    Trolling attempt is pathetic. Between OP and GW2, i think its obvious who fails and who will not.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Takius

How the hell would you even measure "failure" for GW2?

Why, the same way we always do.  No objective criteria whatsoever.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Originally posted by tomato_kwan

Lol, I was just making stuff up. I think it would be scary to try and play a game like that. Think of a game where bugs could actually kill you in real life lol.

I dunno, maybe I'd try it when they got it perfected. Not even gonna look at it while it's in testing and development.

Could be cool until the machines became self aware and tried to use you as a battery :P

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
    We will see how it goes.  To be honest gw2 is hitting quite a few different nails than your previous examples.  The only way you can try and make GW2 a wow clone is by extremely broadening your definition.  
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by DKLond

Unprecedented beta access? Ehm, no.

How many times have betas been the entire foundation for games being fantastic before release? It's happened with more MMOs than I care to count.

No amount of beta access will reveal how the game works in the long-term.

I was in the SWTOR beta. I disliked its WoW 0.9 combat and thought that pretty cutscenes alone wouldn't be able to carry it, but it'll be a decent game overall. I was right and got flamed a lot.

I was in TERA beta and saw lots of half-naked women.

I was in TSW beta. I disliked its combat and animations, but thought that its story and ambience are fantastic, combat might get better later on and it'll be a good game overall. Looks like I was right.

I was in the GW2 beta. It wasn't perfect, but it was awesome.

So yes, I think GW2 will be very successful. It won't kill WoW, but that's ok. The beta showed us almost every skill in the game and the majority of PvP content. Compare that to something like SWTOR's beta, which wasn't able to show Illum, because that whole planet was a pathetic failure.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Archage will be the next big overhyped game, which will finally give sandboxers a taste of their own medicine.
This discussion has been closed.