Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play GW2 if it had the standard MMO A.K.A WoW combat?

andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
We all know it, static,boring and very little skill involved. Im not saying it doesnt take any skill at all to play those MMOs. All I say is that you compare them to a game like LoL,CS, CoD the system is just easier to handle. Many people like it, I did at one point as well but if GW2 had this combat system I woudnt play it. Would you?

Comments

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    If I wanted normal MMO combat, I would just play WoW to get my fix; let the combat be different for each game!
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Again, just like with every other topic "If GW2 didn't have [insert feature here] would You play it" It's imposible to say. 

If the combat was done differently a lot of game core elements would be change to fit the more traditional combat. The game would be completely different from the current incarnation. I have no dea whenever it would be a game I'd enjoy or not. 

That said, at this point in time I'm looking for new things and new ways to do old things. That icnludes how combat works. So yes, it's a large factor in my game pick. If the combat is the same old 100% hotkey based stand and spam the game needs something else, something relalyi nteresting for me to even consider it. 

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Yes I would, because it still would have the amazing, living and dynamic world, but I'm very happy it doesn't... having to healers and no gear dependency will make it so that GW2 will have superior PvP.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    I would still consider it worth the $60 box price but I would like it a lot less.
  • BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    If I wanted normal MMO combat, I would just play WoW to get my fix; let the combat be different for each game!

YES PLEASE.

Copy/pasta WoW combat or ANY other MMO combat is really annoying in MMO's.

FYI I'm not a fan of GW2 combat either. Reminds me of upgraded DDO combat. 'Dodging' is just a temp invulnerability buff which is basically the same way rolling and blocking worked in DDO.

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
    GW2 already has the standard MMO A.K.A WoW combat so this topic is pointless. 1 dodge mechanic and downed state crap won't make the difference.
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I would still play it but I am very thankful that it isn't the same combat.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Masa1
    GW2 already has the standard MMO A.K.A WoW combat so this topic is pointless. 1 dodge mechanic and downed state crap won't make the difference.

i have to agree with this guy, im looking forward to playing the game but come on the combat is nothing new. its the same tab target and everything hits, hell in the stress test i was getting shot threw a wall by arrows just like what happens in wow.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

It played like MMO combat to me....

Only difference was dodging and lots of skills are directional.

Apart from that it feels like anything else and I'm pretty sure they aren't anything new.

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
    Eat. I'm hungry.
  • spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508
    Originally posted by Xzen
    I would still consider it worth the $60 box price but I would like it a lot less.

same here. bad poll btw.

The game would then be like a girlfriend with a hot body and an ugly face. I'd be like....meh It'll work for now, but I'd still be shopping for an upgrade.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

i have to agree with this guy, im looking forward to playing the game but come on the combat is nothing new. its the same tab target and everything hits, hell in the stress test i was getting shot threw a wall by arrows just like what happens in wow.

I agree too. Just because ranged attacks don't heat-seak you, doesn't make the combat way different than traditional. 

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I dunno downed state, dodges, weapon switching, no dedicated roles, tab targeting not required for all skills, skill combos, and probably something else i'm missing doesn't sound like WoW combat at all.

It's like saying Battlefield combat is the same as Call of Duty combat which it isn't at all :)

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257
    doesn't really have to be "new" in order for it to be different from WoW.

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by tixylix

It played like MMO combat to me....

Only difference was dodging and lots of skills are directional.

Apart from that it feels like anything else and I'm pretty sure they aren't anything new.

can you name the mmo ?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Combat isn't one of the big selling points of GW2 to me.
  • zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

for me its the B2p that won so i would still buy  GW2

but the combat they have in it is really good so i don't understand why they would want to go back to a old slow  standing still system when the one they have is 100% better

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Bet you guys did not know you can play the game like a 3rd person shooter by disabling 1 option. :D  I was playing last beta using ranged weapons and actually had to aim to hit my enemies.  

BOOYAKA!

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Thnx god GW2 has NOT the WoW combat system...

WoW is so outdated,srry to say....

...couldn´t stand that combat anymore....

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712
    The combat is kind of clunky in GW2. Say what you want about WoW, but it still has the most responsive fluid combat of any MMO.
  • clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    If I wanted a game with WoW combat, I'd play WoW. Nuff said.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I didn't buy GW2 for the combat mechanics. I bought it for the end-game raids and spiffy flying mounts.
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by VirgoThree

I dunno downed state, dodges, weapon switching, no dedicated roles, tab targeting not required for all skills, skill combos, and probably something else i'm missing doesn't sound like WoW combat at all.

It's like saying Battlefield combat is the same as Call of Duty combat which it isn't at all :)

I agree...

I wonder what it would take for these folks who think that GW2 combat is the same as WoW's to consider the combat different.  Would it have to be a full-on FPS?

I feel like people who think GW2's combat is the same as WoW's really have a poor understanding of MMORPG combat, so they can't distinguish between two things that are glaringly different to anyone that is experienced.

It's kind of like how an artist would look at a "blue" object in a painting, but see 20 different colors, while the untrained eye would simply think "blue."

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    i dont see how GW2 has a  different combat system than wow... alt tap that is.... gw2 is more mobile.. now doesnt matter if you get your skills from trainer or from weapons specific the core of the combar its basicaly the same with different skin if you prefer... same rule applies about gw quests that is cloaked as non-grindy ... The only Game i have seen that has different and more hardcore combat system is Darkfall and Tera... all the rest are basicaly the same...more or less..
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I always hear of this tab key I never used in gw2 as if combat revolves around it. I wouldnt play if it was your same old its the combat that drew me in.