Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is GW2 basically a slightly improved RIFT?

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    yeah, GW2 is basically a slightly improved Rift, and a corvette is basically a slightly improved skateboard. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Cromica

Tell me how a game that has no monthly fee and is better than every other mmo out there is going to die off?

Better than every MMO out there? That's quite a bold statement to make.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    yeah, GW2 is basically a slightly improved Rift, and a corvette is basically a slightly improved skateboard. 

actually...

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

I like Rift alot, but after playing GW2 I couldn't go back to Rift. GW2 is in a whole different league really. I still like Trion and what they're doing over there, but it's like night and day for me.

Come on 8/25. This has been a hellish wait already and I wasn't even a big fan until the 3rd beta weekend recently. I can't imagine how you guys & gals feel who have been waiting years...

The funny thing is I had it written off as another WOW clone when I saw it was kind of steampunkish. I was really just waiting on World Of Darkness and was on the SWTOR forums before beta pondering if it would be total garbage or not. It was garbage and WOD is basically vaporware. Then I looked at the actual info on GW2 and realized it was more like Chronicles of Spellborn than WOW, at least as far as some mechanics and psudo similarities in story telling.  It magnifies what I saw in TCOS with sheer magnitude however, Black Citadel is #$%@#% Gigantic, is so bad ass it makes you proud to be a Charr.

Rift is just a its core another gear grind. It has different ways to grind that gear but its all the same nerve wracking forced progression crap I have learned to hate.

True. GW2 is the only MMO where I've actually been lost in the cities. I've given up on figuring out the Charr and Asura cities, for now... And GW2 also has dynamic events. Scripted, yes, but they have success and failure stages are complex enough to make the game world feel alive.

On first impression of the game I thought GW2s pvp was it's real strength. But the dynamic events really steal the spotlight. Also liking the fact of very little gear grind for stats. The real achievement in this game is actually the player's skill. Achievement isn't bloated stats from gear that let you crush players who don't have that gear. Kinda nice.

World of Darkness... My interest is over 9000. The makers of space combat MMO Eve Online, after acquiring  White Wolf, are going to mash-up the MMO genre with the Vampire genre. It's got me on the edge of my seat. It's either gonna be amazing or an awesome train wreck. Hoping for the first option. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Tutu2
    Is this a fair assessment? I keep hearing the story and voice acting is somewhat lucklustre, which is concerning me also. 

No, it's an incorrect assessment.  Rift is more WoW than GW2.  

As for the voice acting, the only voice overs I had a problem with, sadly, were the Norn, but they have improved them since the first beta - replacing dialog and actors.  The other races are great, especially the Asura, which surprised me.  Did Rift even have voices?  I don't remember.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Is this a fair assessment? I keep hearing the story and voice acting is somewhat lucklustre, which is concerning me also. 

If you playing MMO for a story , you are better off with single player games. Last time MMO was based of "fourth pillar" (LOL) it didnt go that well.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

If you playing MMO for a story , you are better off with single player games. Last time MMO was based of "fourth pillar" (LOL) it didnt go that well.

Thanks to TOR I'm hoping no mmo ever focuses on voice lol. I wish I could have been in that discussion room when bioware was spitballing the game before they made it. Daniel Erickson "Hey guys, do we want Voice Overs for everything, or do we want our game to have everything else?" to which Vogel responds "Yeah, cut all the stuff, and put the voice in, we can add a game in the expansion"

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir
    Originally posted by eyelolled

actually...

it just doesn't matter what a person says anymore, there is a meme for it!  lol

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    GW2 is like RIFT, before they changed the name to RIFT and decided to not spend much energy on "dynamic" content
  • seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Nope it's not a fair assessment. Guild Wars 2 is completely different to Rift

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Cromica

Tell me how a game that has no monthly fee and is better than every other mmo out there is going to die off?

Better than every MMO out there? That's quite a bold statement to make.

For me it is and thats all I care about

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I played Rift.....for 25 minutes...

Warhammer feeling all over again.

Played GW2 16 hours a day in BWE3, sucked that it ended so early :(

Seriously iam not overreacting when i say They are totaly diffrent games but GW2 is just that much more fun to play.

I tried all classes except the engineer, and they all feel awesome from the get go.

Still this is my personal vieuw, what i like doesnt havto mean you like it :)

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Seriously iam not overreacting when i say They are totaly diffrent games but GW2 is just that much more fun to play.

I tried all classes except the engineer, and they all feel awesome from the get go.

Still this is my personal vieuw, what i like doesnt havto mean you like it :)

this is kinda cool you say it like that though as i feel honestly like guild wars 2 is what mythic and warhammer online was aiming for before mark jacobs butchered war into a pvp wow clone. When I first played GW2 i felt the systems were so similiar to warhammer the first time i played it but in warhammer everything just fell so short from being really good. I guess its me coming from DAOC to WAR for over two years that makes me have that feeling.

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334

what..?... no...

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

I had the exact same feeling when I tried Rift. It felt exactly like Warhammer online, like playing a new class on a new area of War, nothing felt new. It's a good thing there are beta tests for MMOs ;)

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

I played around 70-80 hrs total :(. I will never play a beta again...

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

It seems to me that you are in no place to make any kind of assessment.

You need to go away and do some reading/ watching before comign to silly conclusions.

My advice to you is to base no opinions on what you read in forums or comments threads. They lie and are too full of posturing bullshit to have any value and just make you look like a fool if you parrot what they say. Find out for yourself.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Rift is a WoW clone, GW2 not. simple like this.

i dont know why topics like this arent instant blocked, or at least after 5-10m....

this isnt a topic created to have some information, is just troll. anyone with minimum research will know GW2 have nothing to do with Rift, even have acess to thousands and thousand of GW2 gameplay videos on youtube.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by Vaelgard
    How about you research the game first?  Thanks.

+1000.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504
    Originally posted by p_c_sousa

Rift is a WoW clone, GW2 not. simple like this.

i dont know why topics like this arent instant blocked, or at least after 5-10m....

this isnt a topic created to have some information, is just troll. anyone with minimum research will know GW2 have nothing to do with Rift, even have acess to thousands and thousand of GW2 gameplay videos on youtube.

because everyone come and post. simple like this

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

yes correct  GW2  is exactly a rift clone  so move along   nothing to see here  

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

[mod edit]

Rift and GW2 have "dynamic elements" to them and such dynamic elements do indeed move across the landscape in both games.  BUT, that's where the similarities end.   Don't be fooled into thinking one is a clone of the other just because of that.

Rift is like WoW and others games, it sends you down a semi-linear path of progression.  GW2 does not.  In Rift, you do one quest hub and then move to the next.  In GW2 you do not do that, instead you speak to "Scouts" who tell you where the action is happening (i.e. the "Hearts" systems) and it's up to you, the player, to decide whether to get involved in it.  There is no actual linear path in any one area. 

In Rift you have long lists of abilities, some of which are very similar between the "Roles".  In GW2, you do not have so many abilities tied to the "Role".  Instead you have abilities tied to the weapon of your choice, abilities which upgrade the more you use them.

In short, in GW2:

1)  The player has more options to do what they want to do than previous MMO's did.  Removing some of the "linearity" that was felt in other games like Rift, AOC, TOR and WoW.

2)  The "Dynamic Events" system is massively varied on a per zone basis and it evolves based on what the players do.  I believe the devs said that they are going to add more dynamic events in the zones, thus creating even more variance on what can happen.

3)  The abilities system is more "streamlined" than in Rift.  Thus whilst reducing the number of abilities that the player can use with any one weapon, allows for a more "streamlined" UI.  After all, its not often that we feel the need to use every single ability given to us in these games, just the most useful ones.

I hope that clears up some confusion.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by Tarka

[mod edit]

(... bla bla bla bla ...) So you have this, and that, and (... bla bla bla ...)

Or, in short :

http://wiki.guildwars2.com

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

[mod edit]

Rift = WoW with Dynamic Events that are not a core design component of the game, in fact it takes away from the game much the same way WAR's PQ's did.  Rift is also very much a gear grind, raid centric, elitist mentality, vertical slog through hell.  Tab target borefest of a combat system......and to top it off Rift allows you to macro all 3089457835 skilsl to one button....yawn inducing combat.  Crappy World PvP, they even had to make shit up (PvP rifts LOL)to create the illusion of having world pvp.

GW2 = Innovation out the ass.  Dynamic events, is the only questing system in place, there is no conventional and linear threadmilll.  No Trinity to slow your group making compostions down.  Innovative combat where you need to move or get smuched, dodge mechanic to assist with creating a fast paced game style reminescent of action games.  You also have no vertical progression, its all horizontal, gear has stats but the good stuff only looks better.  WvW is hands down the best form of PvP which pits 3 factions (or in this case worlds) against each other, hell Rift even lolcopied it.

Rift is old and bust.....GW2 is the new hotness!

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Tarka

Rift is like WoW and others games, it sends you down a semi-linear path of progression.  GW2 does not.  In Rift, you do one quest hub and then move to the next.  In GW2 you do not do that, instead you speak to "Scouts" who tell you where the action is happening (i.e. the "Hearts" systems) and it's up to you, the player, to decide whether to get involved in it.  There is no actual linear path in any one area. 

Should I assume that Dynamic events are replacing quests and instead of moving trhough story line you move from "Heart" to "Heart"?

Is there any story? How does it work with "Hearts"? How do you progress in that story?

Thanks.