Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: F2P Hybrid Coming August 14th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment and the Vanguard team have posted a new blog on the official site laying out some of the details for the upcoming F2P-hybrid subscription model of the game. Included in the news is the announcement that the new version will officially kick off on August 14th.

Some of the more notable changes include:

• New Website: Our official website has received a major facelift and has a new URL - http://www.vanguardthegame.com.

• Vanguard Marketplace: The Vanguard Marketplace offers several categories to browse - Services, Mounts and Pets, Appearance and Equipment, and Housing.

• Starting Areas Revamp: New characters will now start one of the following starting areas: Cliffs of Ghelgad, Tanvu, Three Rivers Village, Tursh Village, or the Isle of Dawn.

• Removed Class Restrictions: We removed the class restrictions for all races. You can now create that special combination of character that you dreamed about making!

Read the full blog post on the Vanguard site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Nice, I'll give it a whirl to tide me over til Aug 25th (GW2), played VG on release and when my ranger started with a knife and not a bow I knew the game was doomed.  Hum... rangers in GW2 start with an axe........ 
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I will be giving it a second look. (First look was at release...)
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

'Removed Class Restrictions: We removed the class restrictions for all races. You can now create that special combination of character that you dreamed about making!'

only after you cough up some $$$ to unlock the rest of the games classes lol

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Asamof

'Removed Class Restrictions: We removed the class restrictions for all races. You can now create that special combination of character that you dreamed about making!'

Or sub for a month and make any class you want and unsub.   Once made you can still play them even after you sub ends.

• jessie360jessie360 Member Posts: 65
    Still too restrictive; I'll take a pass on this.  With Guild Wars 2 coming out only 2 weeks later, well, they picked a terrible time to launch this debacle.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by William12

Or sub for a month and make any class you want and unsub.   Once made you can still play them even after you sub ends.

you sure about that?  EQ2 does not work that way

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Nadia

EQ does.  You have to get to a certain level in EQ.   Or you can sub now and make the class and play it some and when its f2p and your sub is up you can still play that character.   I have 10 inactive EQ accounts with level 90s of classes you cannot create with f2p and all of them let me play.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I believe this only works UNTIL the free to play launch.  Which is the entire reason I subscribed before then, so I could make all the premium classes to play during free to play.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    The only thing I'm a bit "sad" about is the change in new player starting area. Completely understand why they did it but it is dissapointing.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

So, are you saying you think it's unfair that they charge you for something? Are you expecting the game to be completely free?

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    The only thing I'm a bit "sad" about is the change in new player starting area. Completely understand why they did it but it is dissapointing.

Yeah this bothered me a bit too when I created a gnome, to find myself nowhere near Mekalia. 

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    I was realy looking forward to the F2P model. After reading what SOE has planned, i just sadid; Thx, dont need that one. So for me as result, it is not attractive enoug to get me back. Better going to other Games. Sry SOE, your fault. You are just to greedy and i will not support that.
  • wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127
    Thanks Suzie for the heads up! I will probably toy with it since it's free. Wish they would have done this 2 years ago. Game is old and ugly, and sure hope they fixed the performance issues. But will still give it a spin, should be fun.
  • GeezerGaz82GeezerGaz82 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I've heard alot of positive things about this game, although not experienced it yet.  Trying out the 14 day trial tonight, so before the trail ends, the f2p will have kicked in.  I like an MMORPG with a lot of features and this game seems to be one of them.
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

That only applies if you had a character before the F2P transition.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

thats not going to be how it works the model is just like EQ2 model and the reason I wont touch EQ2 even though i think its a pretty good game sometimes. When you use a restricted race with a gold membership in EQ2 and then go back to a silver or free to play you cannot use that character until you pay 7.50 additional to unlock that race pack. IF you think vanguard is going to be any less restrictive youre insane. SOE has the most restrictive free to play structure of all the major triple A games and most of the asian free to play that comes over here.

Trust me if you think your going to do something slick to get over on SOE youre sadly mistaken they have absolutely no intention of allowing anything free to play , its just a extended trial of the game that with every second youre playing youre going to be  wrestling with yourself to subscribe because they throw it in your face every second youre online in one form or another.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by GeezerGaz82
    I've heard alot of positive things about this game, although not experienced it yet.  Trying out the 14 day trial tonight, so before the trail ends, the f2p will have kicked in.  I like an MMORPG with a lot of features and this game seems to be one of them.

WoW and GW2 is alot better. Played Vanguard for 12 months. (over 2 years time). But we will see if they have fixed enough issue for F2P, might be better now.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

WoW and GW2 is alot better. Played Vanguard for 12 months. (over 2 years time)

yeah with there restrictive free to play coming this game is going to flop hardcore and not bring in anyone but a few people wanting to give it a nostalga run for a few weeks. Majority of the mmorpg players out there will be playing other games or the ones they have been playing . SOE is just out of touch with anything close to reality these days and this game has always had a small playerbase for a long time as it is. The game while pretty good is also not the greatest tech and is pretty out of date from the last few years of neglect thanks to EQ2 and SOE. I wouldnt put faith that this game adds a third server ever or even is able to fill the two up there is now. WAY to many much better games are around now and do not cost a monthly fee or releasing pretty soon.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Its sad they changed it this way.

An easier solution would be to just put a rift stone outside the starting city instead for easier travel.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    The only thing I didn't like about VG when I tried it was that no one was playing it. Hopefully it will be different now with the F2P launch.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• GeezerGaz82GeezerGaz82 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

WoW and GW2 is alot better. Played Vanguard for 12 months. (over 2 years time)

yeah with there restrictive free to play coming this game is going to flop hardcore and not bring in anyone but a few people wanting to give it a nostalga run for a few weeks. Majority of the mmorpg players out there will be playing other games or the ones they have been playing . SOE is just out of touch with anything close to reality these days and this game has always had a small playerbase for a long time as it is. The game while pretty good is also not the greatest tech and is pretty out of date from the last few years of neglect thanks to EQ2 and SOE. I wouldnt put faith that this game adds a third server ever or even is able to fill the two up there is now. WAY to many much better games are around now and do not cost a monthly fee or releasing pretty soon.

I'm a LOTRO and a WoW player mainly, although I didn't like EQ2 or GW1, but because of all the positive things about GW2 though, I'm definately going to give it a try one day.  To be honest though, I'm really looking forward to Elder Scrolls Online mostly.  I'm more of a subscribing player if I find a game fun enough, so I never judge a subscription based game on their restrictions for their trial because I know most of all trials or free to play games are demos of it's full version.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by csthao

Its sad they changed it this way.

An easier solution would be to just put a rift stone outside the starting city instead for easier travel.

I almost wonder if this is a case where the developers aren't quite on board with the player?

What I think they are doing is saying "hey, the modern mmo player wants x and y so let's adapt vangaurd to that forumula".

Whereas, I wonder if the better way would be to say "hey, there is an mmo player who wants huge world, open, different starter areas, etc, let's adapt vanguard to support that a little more".

I feel that the first group isn't going to be so forgiving with so many games out there that already offer "standard mmo play" whereas, there is a group out there who wants a different experience and they are willing to be a bit more forgiving in order to play a game that is not readily available.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Nadia

You have to sub before the game goes f2p to get that I believe, unlesss SOE changed their policy lately.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Grandfathering characters only works for those created before F2P like in EQ2. If you sub a month, make non-F2P race/class and then unsub it will get locked until you pay for the unlocks or resub. For people saying that they should have restrictions to force a sub, that's silly, they already have all the players that are willing to pay a sub. If they want more players they need to change it to a real F2P / micro transaction game and not the horrible hybrid model they currently use which alienates free players
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

it's sad when games that would have been good as f2p only do so years too late.