Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks like GW2 is going to hurt you know who.....

Comments

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Why all the hate? GW2 can take it's place in the MMO ecology and offer more players more choices. The entire point of the way it's designed is so that you can play when you want and stop playing when you want. Anet will be looking at box sales and if they are good, cool. if they aren't so good, no biggie. this is a game that will grow over time. There's no rush, no pressure. The last B2P game I bought gave me 2 years of gaming fun and all without a sub (no blizzard products) and I see GW2 doing the same. 

The only thing that will kill WoW is WoW. 

The only thing that will kill Blizzard is a Titan omnishambles sometime in the future.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    WOW lost 1.1 million subs since january i don't care how many subs the game claims to have, losing that many subs within 6 months is a terrible failure on the part of the dev team.

Well it's a good thing ANet doesn't care about subs, now there won't be all these doom and gloomers trolling the game after it fails to hold the attention of more than half it's players since there won't be any scale to measure it's success. Box sales will be way more than players that play for more than a few months.

WoW has the best retention rate of any MMO on the market. It's been years and still has many of it's players. Out of people that actually give the game a fair chance... like play past lvl 10/20 many of them stay. Other companies would kill for WoWs retention rate. Think of things like SWTOR who have lost 4/5 of it's players. Pretty much every sub  MMO since WoW has followed a similar path.

I think pretty much everyone that plays WoW doesn't really care about the sub fee. If anything, WoW players that are interested in GW2 will keep their WoW sub active and play GW2 on the side, or some might cancel for a month or two. They're usually back though.

GW2 will not kill WoW, or even put a dent in it. Pretty tired of people saying these things with every new MMO.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by jusomdude

Well it's a good thing ANet doesn't care about subs, now there won't be all these doom and gloomers trolling the game after it fails to hold the attention of more than half it's players since there won't be any scale to measure it's success. Box sales will be way more than players that play for more than a few months.

WoW has the best retention rate of any MMO on the market.

Blizzard is a public company

companies like Turbine and Trion have never given sub counts

RIFT has only given us units sold

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/07/rift-approaching-the-one-million-sell-through-mark/

and thats something GW2 can compare to

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    WOW lost 1.1 million subs since january i don't care how many subs the game claims to have, losing that many subs within 6 months is a terrible failure on the part of the dev team.

WoW has the best retention rate of any MMO on the market. It's been years and still has many of it's players. Out of people that actually give the game a fair chance... like play past lvl 10/20 many of them stay. Other companies would kill for WoWs retention rate. Think of things like SWTOR who have lost 4/5 of it's players. Pretty much every sub  MMO since WoW has followed a similar path.

I think pretty much everyone that plays WoW doesn't really care about the sub fee. If anything, WoW players that are interested in GW2 will keep their WoW sub active and play GW2 on the side, or some might cancel for a month or two. They're usually back though.

GW2 will not kill WoW, or even put a dent in it. Pretty tired of people saying these things with every new MMO.

if you really believe that you are delusional. Also of course Anet cares about retention. More people stick around more chances they get for people to pay in the cash shop = more money they make and more content they can put out. I don't think any game will kill wow I think over the years it will fizzle out but not anytime soon. But gw2 will put a dent in wow just no clue how big or small that dent will be.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I think it'll be like ToR...a chunk of people will leave then trickle back to WoW.

MoP will come out and loads of people will go back to play it.

No MMO is going to kill WoW,I dunno why people cant understand that.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

Don't you shame hyping like that already? I remember people hyping for Star wars the same and i see what happened.

Don't tell me its something diffrent this time only because the beta was a bit longer then in star wars...

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Hey look, that thing everyone and their mother claims and writes about thats never true.

Games don't kill other games. They can be added factors but they are NOT the sole reason for decline. If you claim that a game is the cause for a games downfall, your wrong. Its not going to do it.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Baddogbill
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by TJixlee
    it  will effect WoW but now like it will SWTOR RIFT TERA TSW and others. WoW could lose half its player base and still be profitable. no ones going to beatthat titan of a game...... UNLESS blizz makes WoW2 or something lol

Don't think it will affect TSW much at all, If it does it will be positive.  

TSW is the anti-WoW/Swtor/Rift/Gw2.

Actually TSW has more in common with Swtor and Rift (WoW clones) then GW2 does ...quest hubs, progressive dungeons and after thought pvp is the calling card for WoW clones

dear fanboy, and gw2 is diffrent? you run "dynamic quests" mostly story quests and normal quests, 8 doungens to run trough and a few pvp did I forget something? A MMo is a MMo wheres nothing to change on that sorry.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

if you really believe that you are delusional. Also of course Anet cares about retention. More people stick around more chances they get for people to pay in the cash shop = more money they make and more content they can put out. I don't think any game will kill wow I think over the years it will fizzle out but not anytime soon. But gw2 will put a dent in wow just no clue how big or small that dent will be.

It may give WoW a small phase. Sort of like a /poke. Most WoW players who leave for GW2 will be back playing WoW within at most 6 months.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    I think GW2 launch is going to crucify the Panda expansion and force that company to a free-to-play model.

Fangurls and their weird way of thinking again...

GW2 won't affect WoW much, more so than any other MMO recently, but that's to be expected.

MMO's compete with each other, the newer one will always take subs from the older ones, but WoW will continue to go strong.

I have a feeling we'll even see WoW's subs climb back to 10-12 million before the years end, even with the launch of the "God Game."

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    I think GW2 launch is going to crucify the Panda expansion and force that company to a free-to-play model.

I wouldnt go that far but I do forsee WoW losing half its US and EU subscription base by the end of the year.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

It may give WoW a small phase. Sort of like a /poke. Most WoW players who leave for GW2 will be back playing WoW within at most 6 months.

and you complain about GW2 fans being narrow minded

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

I don't see any reason why it's going to be different this time... happens with every new MMO that players claim to be the next messiah.

Let's hear what you think will happen. It's just a shame there won't be any ANet subs so we can see just how powerful the almighty GW2 really is.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

I wouldnt go that far but I do forsee WoW losing half its US and EU subscription base by the end of the year.

im a gw2 fan but i strongly disagree

Blizzard is a recognized name brand thats been around for 20 years

if theres any impact, it will be minor

I expect GW2 to grow over time, bringing in NEW players, to the mmo gaming space

players that never liked wow or subscribing to mmos

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I don't see any reason why it's going to be different this time... happens with every new MMO that players claim to be the next messiah.

Let's hear what you think will happen.

Another "messiah" comment...

Even if/when people drop out of GW2, I'm just not convinced that WoW will be the place they go back to at this point. I think the traditional "WoW return" is questionable at this point.

Although I still think they'll hit 11 million when Pandaria comes out.

I quit WoW last year shortly after Cata's debacle.  My entire guild went to Rift (I ended up leaving it) and none of my friends still play WoW.  In fact none of the big name E-Sport WoW Arena Sites are active except for Arena Junkies but that site is is mostly talking about GW2 sPvP.

Face it, WoW is a shell of its former glry and all evidence backs up my claim and none of your hyperbole is even remotely truthful.

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

It's just a shame there won't be any ANet subs so we can see just how powerful the almighty GW2 really is.

as i stated before

WOW is one of the *few* longstanding mmos that announces subs

and even WOW has stopped reporting subs regionally for over 4 years  (last reported breakdown was in 2008)

no one knows how many subs WOW *currently* has in US or Euro

RIFT has never given sub counts

LOTRO has never given sub counts

DDO has never given sub counts

EQ2 has never given sub counts

any mmo that makes announcements for XX sold in first month or XX profits made this year, GW2 can compare to

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Man, everyone wants to see WOW go down.... good luck with that!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Let's hear what you think will happen. It's just a shame there won't be any ANet subs so we can see just how powerful the almighty GW2 really is.

I'd like to hear you name a single B2P MMORPG released since wow with the scope and scale of what GW2 offers.. like I said GW2 is not taking down wow but it will put a dent in it

Originally posted by Nadia

im a gw2 fan but i strongly disagree

Blizzard is a recognized name brand thats been around for 20 years

if theres any impact, it will be minor

I expect GW2 to grow over time, bringing in NEW players, to the mmo gaming space

players that never liked wow or subscribing to mmos

Market analysis predicts 3.2 million GW2 players by years end.  It would be rather silly to fathom that none of those will come from WoW, esp considering every website and MMO forum site is discussing the impending release.  WoW might see a slight increase, but within a few months it will begin to lose subs again just like it 's done since LK.

I quit WoW last year shortly after Cata's debacle.  My entire guild went to Rift (I ended up leaving it) and none of my friends still play WoW.  In fact none of the big name E-Sport WoW Arena Sites are active except for Arena Junkies but that site is is mostly talking about GW2 sPvP.

Face it, WoW is a shell of its former glry and all evidence backs up my claim and none of your hyperbole is even remotely truthful.

What exactly is your claim again? So E-Sport players don't want to pvp in WoW? Ok, I wasn't aware that there was a significant amount of players that actually care about that in WoW.

I don't think there is any thing to back up your "claims" since the game isn't even released yet and no one has had more than a small taste of the PvP of GW2.

It's a new game, people like talking about them more than older games, I'll give ya that.

• RheanonRheanon Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Originally posted by Praetalus

Some of you are having delusions of grandeur. If you think for one minute that WoW will go with a free to play model due to Gw2, you have just lost your mind. If you think that they won't have ridiculous sales of MoP you are out of your trees. You're letting the small group of people on this forum confuse you about how popular that game is. 

If I mention World of Warcraft to ANYONE.. they know what it is. Even family members at get togethers. My 63 year Aunt knows what WoW is. If I mention Guild Wars... a few people even know what the hell I'm talking about. I'm not saying this is everything, but my Aunt is not buying my 13 year old nephew Guild Wars 2... she's buying him WoW cause he won't shut the hell up about it. I was with him the other day and he asked me what I'm currently playing. I told him I was messing around with TSW and was buying Gw2 later this month to jump into that. You know what he said? What is TSW and What is Guild Wars. Now granted, I don't necessarily want a bunch of 13-15 y/o's playing either..lol, I'm just saying, they don't even know what it is.

Warcraft is going nowhere. When Mist comes out, they WILL jump back up over 11 million easily. Just because you hate the game doesn't mean you have to lie to yourself. Just do what I'll be doing. Play Gw2 and be happy. 

WoW may or may not go F2P.  It is true that a lot of people know about WoW, but a lot of people who know about WoW may not necessarily play or have played WoW.  The question is... are the people who currently play WoW (and these are the most important people to consider)   happy with WoW or are they tired of the same old same old (as tends to happen when you play ANY game for a long time).  Are there veterans of WoW who continue to pay the sub but hardly ever log in anymore.   Are there others who are there but who are waiting for something better to come along (like GW2, ES Online, etc.) Are the servers as full as they were say three years ago? Have there been server merges?  I don't play WoW and have not played it since one year after release.  I don't have the answers to these questions.  You, the WoW subscribers, know the answers.

If you are right, of course, WoW will survive healthily with no problems and you have nothing to worry about.  However,... if there is any merit to these questions, then we may be seeing the beginning of WoW's decline and eventual descent into oblivion.  Like everything in this world, games have life cycles too.  These life cycles have an apex and an eventual descent, (ie, UO, EQ, DAoC, EQ2, etc.).  These are all great games.  These are all classics.  Many have played them and many who have played them have wonderful memories and remember them with nostalgia but life goes on and we all move on. 

The problem is that game companies have a tendency to sit on their laurels, rake in the profits and fail to reinvest in REAL new content development.  The game stagnates and dies.   If these forums are any indication of what is happening, the posts suggest that this may be the case.   WoW developers still have time to recapitulate, to save the game and make it stronger. They can start by really investing money and resources into this successful game and making it stronger.  Will they do it?  Probably not.  In my opinion, they tend to live in denial until it is too late.  Once subs are gone, they never tend to come back for any real length of time.   You see by that time, their friends have gone, they tend to feel lost, and they leave

Originally posted by Rheanon
    Originally posted by Praetalus

Some of you are having delusions of grandeur. If you think for one minute that WoW will go with a free to play model due to Gw2, you have just lost your mind. If you think that they won't have ridiculous sales of MoP you are out of your trees. You're letting the small group of people on this forum confuse you about how popular that game is. 

If I mention World of Warcraft to ANYONE.. they know what it is. Even family members at get togethers. My 63 year Aunt knows what WoW is. If I mention Guild Wars... a few people even know what the hell I'm talking about. I'm not saying this is everything, but my Aunt is not buying my 13 year old nephew Guild Wars 2... she's buying him WoW cause he won't shut the hell up about it. I was with him the other day and he asked me what I'm currently playing. I told him I was messing around with TSW and was buying Gw2 later this month to jump into that. You know what he said? What is TSW and What is Guild Wars. Now granted, I don't necessarily want a bunch of 13-15 y/o's playing either..lol, I'm just saying, they don't even know what it is.

Warcraft is going nowhere. When Mist comes out, they WILL jump back up over 11 million easily. Just because you hate the game doesn't mean you have to lie to yourself. Just do what I'll be doing. Play Gw2 and be happy. 

WoW may or may not go F2P.  It is true that a lot of people know about WoW, but a lot of people who know about WoW may not necessarily play or have played WoW.  The question is... are the people who currently play WoW (and these are the most important people to consider)   happy with WoW or are they tired of the same old same old (as tends to happen when you play ANY game for a long time).  Are there veterans of WoW who continue to pay the sub but hardly ever log in anymore.   Are there others who are there but who are waiting for something better to come along (like GW2, ES Online, etc.) Are the servers as full as they were say three years ago? Have there been server merges?  I don't play WoW and have not played it since one year after release.  I don't have the answers to these questions.  You, the WoW subscribers, know the answers.

If you are right, of course, WoW will survive healthily with no problems and you have nothing to worry about.  However,... if there is any merit to these questions, then we may be seeing the beginning of WoW's decline and eventual descent into oblivion.  Like everything in this world, games have life cycles too.  These life cycles have an apex and an eventual descent, (ie, UO, EQ, DAoC, EQ2, etc.).  These are all great games.  These are all classics.  Many have played them and many who have played them have wonderful memories and remember them with nostalgia but life goes on and we all move on. 

The problem is that game companies have a tendency to sit on their laurels, rake in the profits and fail to reinvest in REAL new content development.  The game stagnates and dies.   If these forums are any indication of what is happening, the posts suggest that this may be the case.   WoW developers still have time to recapitulate, to save the game and make it stronger. They can start by really investing money and resources into this successful game and making it stronger.  Will they do it?  Probably not.  In my opinion, they tend to live in denial until it is too late.  Once subs are gone, they never tend to come back for any real length of time.   You see by that time, their friends have gone, they tend to feel lost, and they leave

Blizzard has a knack for ripping successful features from other games, that's why I don't think they will go F2P in the forseeable future. If the GW2 WvW pvp is successful, Blizzard probably won't be far behind in releasing something similar in a future xpac. Same with mentoring or anything else that's shown to be popular.

I also don't agree with what yo usaid about them just sitting on what they have already accomplished. They are implementing new game changing things every xpac. How successful the new features are is another thing. Pokemon, Scenarios, New dungeon challenges. I think they are experimenting with the "no trinity" gameplay with scenarios. WoW evolves somehow with every new xpac.

They are already trying to bring back world pvp since I think many people may have canceled with the lack of world pvp as a reason.

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    Originally posted by Tokken
    Man, everyone wants to see WOW go down.... good luck with that!

Yup...the dead horse has been beaten so badly its a pile of meat and bones. 

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

People are of the mindset players will explore GW2 and return to WoW because that is what always happened.

The problem with that theory is that WoW was always better, gameplay wise, that the other games people went exploring.

GW2 gameplay, although different, is on a similar level of polish and much better than most (in my opinion all) of those "wow clones" and it isn't a WoW clone.

Additionally GW2 is a much easier game on those wanting to explore other games than WoW is since it has no fee making it much easier to come and go, no tiered content, no content requiring heavy schedulling, no gear treadmill making you fall behind if you don'tplay for long, no content under locks. Additionally it doesn't become a "queue in town->instance" game.

WoW has always been losing subs, but for most of its life it gained subs (either new or returning players) at a quicker pace making it a net gain. In the last 2 years that stopped being true.

GW2 won't make WoW lose many subs by itself - WoW will do that himself since it is only natural. What GW2 will do is prevent a good portion of the leavers from returning and it will grab a portion of the new MMORPG players, and even those that return to WoW might return for shorter periods of time than before.

Some people are only seeing this from the "I'm a fully satisfied WoW player" prism.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders