Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

Comments

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes.  Lore, DE's, exploration of a fascinating world, prior satisfaction with GW1.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes, when betas or stress tests occur.

If yes, please explain why: Because 1) I enjoyed GW1 thoroughly for a long time, pre-disposing me to want to play the sequel; 2) Arenanet's goal to do something different than their competitors, which I applaud; 3) pre-open beta videos showing gameplay showed an amazing world to explore and game to play.

If no, please explain why:

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  None ATM.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? The people posting here for the most part share my interest, and I like to discuss the game with those of like mind.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

NOTE: Please do not answer questions that currently do not apply. Feel free to edit your answers to these questions in once the game goes live.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Yes. Ever since the announcement in 2007 that they were going to make a #2. At that time a friend and I were playing GW1 and loved it. The big thing that caught my eye at the time was it was going to be a persistant world. As time went on there was no news for a long time, than finally BAM! Talk about dynamic events. Thats when the excitement hit the roof!

Do you currently play this game?

Played in all the BWE's and have pre-purchased the game.

If yes, please explain why:

I play in the BWE and stress test as the game isnt officially released. So far what I have seen proves what ArenaNet has been talking about. The dynamic events are awesome, combat is great, no more trinity, no mandatory gear grind so that you can run a dungeon and the various activities (exploration,Vistas) all bring a breath of fresh air to the genre. I am so tired of the common formula of mmos. There is now skill involved. No more sitting in one spot, DODGING, no more spamming the same hot keys over and over (Actually have to use your knoggin to intepret what the enemy is doing vs what you are going to do to counter/avoid it), REAL TEAM WORK combining skills from multiple people to make a combo (Arrow through flame make firey arrow). I can keep going on and on. This game should last a very long time for me.

If no, please explain why: N/A

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

None. Playing the beta and stress test of GW2 has spoiled me with its uniqueness.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I like GW2 and like to share any input I might have about the game.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

Do you currently play this game?:

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

For question 1:

Yes I was. What turned me away from the game was the rabid fanboys on forums like GW2guru and the incgamer GW1 fan site. I was a strong fan of GW2 long before the massive hype train left the station. community is so bad.

For Question 2:

I play it in beta. Its not out yet. So No, if you want to get technical.

for Question 3:

I am playing, Rift and Darkfall right now.

I play Rift because it gives me something fun to do in a themepark other than Raid Dungeons. I love the open world events. They are like Quest, but with open group. I love it. Plus Trion World reminds me a lot of Old Blizzard, in that they not afraid to copy ideas from other interesting MMO games.

I took a break from Rift, to play Darkfall. Wanted to try something new, and been really interested in Sandboxes lately (even though DF is a poor example of a sandbox). Also at some point I was intimidated by both the Full Loot, FFA, and Aim combat, but I believe my time with Tera beta caim me down in regards to aim based combat, but the FFA and Full Loot still concerned me. But still was tempted, because I was bored and wanted to try something new. Because right now, Rift is in a big drama point right now with the new soul revealed and the PvP stat normalization talk.

for Question 4:

I use to post here a lot, because it was major hyped, AND I HATE HYPE.. sorry, I simply hate hype in this genre of gaming. I see past it, and take it as a duty to expose hype so others dont fall for it. Dont want others to go through what I did with Warhammer Online, which was just as hyped as GW2.

But with the increased MODing, over here, that will ban people for posting criticism in regards to GW2, and other popular overhyped MMO on this forum. So I simply avoid the forum here now, and simply play more Darkfall in the mean time.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

No im not. GW1 do me was a terrible game.  GW2 doesnt really wow me in any way. DEs are just gonna get as stale as Rifts in Rift. WvWvW is just a zerg fest. 

No i do not.

Looks generic to me. Doesnt look like the mmo savior as many other see it. 

Rift: Although it isnt innovating alot. It pushes out content faster then any dev out there. Plus theres something about the world and lore i love.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I rarely post here. I only post if i see such thread that call GW2 Critics haters and have no taste then i defend myself.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

NOTE: Please do not answer questions that currently do not apply. Feel free to edit your answers to these questions in once the game goes live.

retarded?

yes

what was the point of the swtor one - what's the point of this one (even though it is kinda pointless at this moment)?

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, because the graphics/ world in general appealed to me and it seemed liked it would be a good alternative to TOR for casual play. I also was curious about the join with others at will that this game offered. My plan was to play TOR as primary and GW2 as secondary but it looks as if now that we are closer to release that GW2 will be my primary.

Yes 

I played a couple of beta's, but very limited because I didn't want to follow the path I took with previous games where I was let down a few months in. I wanted this to feel fresh.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: None

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

99.9% of the time I post in games I am interested in other than what seems to be a large percentage of folks that seem to like to post in games they don't like.

There Is Always Hope!

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Yes. Long time Guild Wars 1 player, so bein g excited about the sequel is understandable. Learning more about its feature only deepened my affection to this game.

No and yes.

Yes, when there's beta weekend or stress test. Also, game didn't launch yet so no other way to play it. But when it comes in 4 days I'll play the heck out of it, because I pretty much love everything about this game.

Game isn't out yet.

Finished playing GW1, stopped playing Aion, any other mmo looks so boring compared to GW2.

I like to disquss aspects of the game with other players. Also, I learn about news and features through this forum.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

In the game itself Yes. In being a customer of Anet and NCsoft, No.

No.

n/a

I was a player in GW (a customer of Anet/NCsoft). During the first few years of GW several professions/classes were altered for PvP reasons, and these changes were negative ones as far as PvE gameplay was concerned. I submitted a complaint to Anet and I received what I considered at the time to be a rude and inconsiderate response. I also objected to other business decisions made and actions taken by both Anet and NCsoft with Guild Wars.

I will not be a customer of Anet  or NCsoft again.

Wurm Online. I play this for pure sandbox MMO enjoyment.

LotRO: I still play this on occasion because of the time invested in that MMO and to spend time ingame witrh family and friends.

Other MMOs as well as the fancy strikes me.

I wanted Anet and NCsoft to realize they have a fresh start opportunity with the Players (customer) of Guild Wars 2. Be very careful of how you treat them as customers, for some of them will not forgive and forget. (If Anet had treated it's PvE Players with more respect in GW than I would be a player of GW2.)

I also wanted to have the opportunity to say publically here that I think Guild Wars 2 is Brilliant. Absolutely Brilliant. Anet and NCsoft took their "Lessons Learned" from Guild Wars and created GW2, and from my vantage point if looks like GW2 will be fantastic. A MMO that encourages Players to come out of their shell and play together. A much friendly MMO, with far less conflicts between the PvP and the PvE Player communities. Well Done.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

It’s still not out yet and I have preordered

When they have beta weekends and stress test, yes

I wanted to experience with this game since it had some unique and fun sounding features.

That said I don’t play it often when given the chance yet because I don’t like playing games that are meant to be persistent when wipes are imminent.

I have been playing WoW on and off because I play it with my father and it’s the only MMO he plays. Otherwise I generally just check out new titles that are offering something that might appeal to me.

Guild Wars 2 has appealed to me and I plan on playing it regularly. It also happens to offer some innovative features to the MMO genre and I like to see how it is being received.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Yes.  I play GW1 regularly and consider it a high point in design, production value, and gameplay.

My interest in GW2 is two sided.  It's interesting to see the application of non-standard game mechanics and business model.  I'm also hoping that my GF will take interest and it can be something we play together.

Nope.  Smashed with work-load (2 R&D projects and restoring a commercial property) and my health is going downhill.  I'd love to have time and energy to devote a bunch of time to GW2.  Hoping to do so eventually.

Shaiya very part time.  Runes of Magic very part time.  Pocket Legends very part time.  I can solo at weird hours, usually waiting for my meds to kick in so I can sleep.

I try to contribute to the community.  I'd prefer to be playing, but that's not going to happen.

The forums are dominated by GW2, TSW, and sandbox / themepark debate.  I have little interest in TSW.  I try to not get involved in forum arguments so that keeps my posts in sandbox / themepark debates limited.  That means I talk about GW2 or don't have anything to post at all :-(.  So far the GW2 community here has been okay with me doing so, at least nobody has complained yet.

NP.  Good luck on the survey.  Hope I did okay on my answers.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

No, I didn't like Guild Wars 1 at all so I didn't look into Guild Wars 2 at all.

Do you currently play this game?: n/a

At the moment I'm playing Vanguard.  Why? Because it finally went f2p and I long for the days of old.

Never really post in it, I read a lot about it though.  Asura information mostly.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:   I was until I heard that they are introducing technology. 

Do you currently play this game?:  No.

If no, please explain why:  Nothing new under the sun.  Another high fantasy MMO with nothing to distinguish it from others.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  The Secret World because of lack of levels, lack of classes.  You just pick up a couple of weapons and go.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?   I am posting in this subforum because I saw the topic on the home page.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

Hey guys,

Yes ! because i really like the way anet is working on this game, to me it just feel new and fresh
    Only on stress tests or beta weekends lol
     Because i just cant play any other mmorpg right now gw2 just got me

Waiting for this mmo to come out xD
     mmorpg.com people are just fun

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,359
        Yes, I loved the first one, and was very curious about a sequal
        Yes, in any stress test or beta they let  me
        I personally think it's an awesome game and I love it
        -See Above-
        Currrently none as I'm trying to kick sub fees
        I visit mmorpg.com often for gaming news
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Yes. I played GW1 for a long time before moving on, and have gone back a couple of times for some very enjoyable gaming. Guild Wars 2 had my attention from the get go with their early descriptions of Dynamic Events, and a proclaimed step away from the questing that many themepark MMOs utilize to progress their playerbase.

The World vs World being a 3 faction frontier style game reminiscent of DAoC was the major draw for me after they had gotten my attention.

No

I didn't preorder, and am waiting for a quality review from a trusted source before I pick it up. WvW, my main interest, is shaping up to look like a short lived feature that won't get very much action. The rewards for participating are almost nonexistent.

Dynamic Events, another major draw for me, seem like they will be zerged and completed before they can be allowed to progress past the first stage.

The cash shop is a big detractor, and it bothers me to pay a box price for a game, and then to be artificially limited in character slots and inventory/bank space until I pay more money.

I'm currently playing Rift Lite. I play MMOs because I love fantasy RPGs, but I prefer to play in a living world with friends and people who could potentially become friends.

I try to bring a moderate viewpoint to certain features that are dissappointing about this title, as well as defend features I feel are unfairly attacked. This game specifically has more pure fanboys and more trolls than any other game I've seen to date. For the average forum goer who reads and doesn't post, many of the threads look like pointless bickering with opinions only swaying from one extreme to the next. I just try to bring a logical, balanced opinion to counter some of the blind hatred / rabid fanboy responses.

• SayoPGSayoPG Member Posts: 8
    Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?
     Yes. I heard about GW2 few years ago. While playing Aion, som1 on vent talked about GW2. Im following GW2 development since then.
    Do you currently play this game?
    Yes.
    If yes, please explain why
    So many reasons... In short, because its true evolution in mmo gaming.
    If no, please explain why
    N/A
    What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?
    Currently im not playing any mmo while waiting GW2 release. In the past, i played Lineage 2, WoW, EVE, Darkfall, Aion, SWTOR, and bunch of f2p grindfests
    I rarely ever post in forums, here or enywhere else.
  • MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

Long ago yes.  Then it got too hyped and I lost interest & stopped paying attention.

Yes.

There's no subscription fee, so I figured why not.

If no, please explain why: N/A

Assuming that I have the time to sign in...

* Tera - enjoyable combat mechanics.

* TSW:  Fresh new take on the MMO.  Genuinely good story telling & voice acting, just the right amount of cut scenes (unlike those "other guys"! XD).

* GW2:  There's no sub fee.  Nice mechanics and interesting ideas.  Won't cost me much to see how they born out.

I almost never post on mmorpg.com at all, just in general.  Like I said a long time ago, the atmosphere on this site is too negative and the mods are like bots / tools for people to use in their flame wars.  Reporting = guaranteed ban or warning.  I've been here too long and seen it happen too many times (and not so much against me) to ever think otherwise.

Regarding GW2, I eventually changed my mind and bought the game so I may as well poke the community on the odd occasion, but I won't be posting much and I'll vanish again sooner rather than later.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Do you currently play this game?: No

If no, please explain why: Lost interest in Fantasy.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: TSW: Freedom in Build, Modern Day setting, Constant Addition of content, Good Story Telling, Characters with Personalities.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? If i posted elsewhere it would be lost in the sea of GW2 posts.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

Were you interested in this game before it came out?

Yes

Why? Why not?:

Liked GW (even though I didnt think of it as MMO) and also saw the early news on the game and liked the looks and sounds of it. Something fresh, eliminating the trinity, collaborative play etc...

I just bought it and will be tonight ;0)

Friends played in BETA, and will be playing at launch, seems safe investment with no sub fee, means I wont have to cancel other games to make room.

EVE, TSW    I was a latecomer to EVE and it has me hooked, different and player driven. TSW because I like the atmosphere  and questlines, although it oft feels single player to me.

Think this is my first post,  now that I am playing I like to interact with others who are also playing. get different perspectives, share ideas etc..   (and in some cases listen to all the drama)

• ImpmonImpmon Member UncommonPosts: 81

Yes I was interested although I didn't follow every little detail of the game.   I looked forward to it for something new to try out.

No I haven't purchased it yet.  I plan on waiting a few days til all the opening day craziness dies down.  I've played in other MMO's at release and its usually a big fubar with too many people in one area. 

I recently started playing Rift.  Did the free trial got a couple characters to 20 and decided to subscribe.  No particular reason to play just thought I'd give it a try.

I haven't really posted in this forum at all  :D

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, mostly because of all the hype. But I hesitated due to the emphasis on PvP (not my thing).

Do you currently play this game?: No

If no, please explain why: I was on this site reading threads and watching videos, trying to decide whether to buy GW2 when I saw a blurb about The Secret World. I spontaneously decided to buy TSW instead since the emphasis was on PvE, story and secret societies - all things important to me.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Currently playing LOTRO and TSW. I also am subbed to WoW, though I'm not playing. I have longterm investments in my WoW and LOTRO accounts and longterm relationships I value with other players in those games. I am playing TSW for the game itself, as I don't have any friends playing it.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I posted here because the thread came up on Current Forum Activity.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

Were you interested in this game before it came out? : no

Why not?: cause i didnt  play gw1 and i prefer to wait and see before makin my mind up

Do you currently play this game?:no

If no, please explain why: to old computer so i cant run it and cant afford a new for atleast another 19 months saving.

What MMOs are you currently playing :wow

why do you play these particular titles?: cause i feel kinda responsible for the guilds im in and cause i kinda like some aspects of it and also that it runs on my old pre pci -e computer

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?: not really sure but i think its to voice my opinion from time to time

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Yes, because Guild Wars 1 was the best game ever made.

Do you currently play this game?:  No.

If no, please explain why:  Because games are nearly always a mess at launch.  I figure the game will be properly ready for me to pick up around the end of the year.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Champions Online, for the quick combat and broad variety of character options.  Uncharted Waters Online, because its adventuring discovery system is interesting and really unique.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  Because posting in the UWO forum exclusively would be talking to myself.  Actually, a large fraction of my posts are about hardware, and new game launches tend to get a lot of hardware questions.

• DalanoDalano Member Posts: 116

Yes. Mostly because of ANet's manifesto.

Yes.

Even though I feel it's been overhyped and is not as innovative as billed, it's done the best job since WoW of creating a world that I actually want to live in.

---

Glitch and GW2. Both for the reason stated above.

I'm considering trying to join the mmorpg.com guild.

Playing: FFXIV, EVE

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

Yes, when i looked at they manifesto video i was hooked right away. After watching more press event video i grew to like it even more.

Yes

Its a very solid game, story mode is a little weak compared to other titel but the complete package is great in gw2. I have been waiting for a game like this for a very long time now.

Only gw2, playd Tsw for a month and liked it.

This is my game of choice atm, so its here ill spend most of my time until i move on to another game.