Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

Comments

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: N/A

Do you currently play this game?: N/A

If yes, please explain why: N/A

If no, please explain why: N/A

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Path of Exile (Best ARPG currently out there), World of Tanks (Good fun to play with friends and is fairly well balanced), End of Nations (Beta testing atm, I may or may not be in the Alpha also *cough*), GW1 (Finished my HoM, sometimes log in for a bit here and there)

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? GW2 is going to be *huge*. I browse this subforum looking out for new information, opinions and general chat.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Do you currently play this game?:

No.

If yes, please explain why:

If no, please explain why:

It isn't released yet.  Ask me again in August.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

Nothing currently.  However, playing nothing is actually a rare state, for me.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

It pops up a lot at the top of "forum cloud".  Coudn't you get this data from page views?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Yes - because of ArenaNets trackrecord with GW1 - and the 1500+ hours spend in the game

Played some  in beta and stresstest,

If yes, please explain why: to get a feel for the game, not to much as to keep launch fresh , but enough that i know what i am talking about in forums.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

None after WAR, besides a little hom work in GW1

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I was drawn in early in the development of GW2 because of all the misunderstandings that popped up , and have spend a lot of time educating posters about what ArenaNet was up to based on what they actual have said and their ability to actual walk the talk.

• Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes because of the Manifesto

Do you currently play this game?: No

If no, please explain why:  Because it hasn't launched yet

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  LOTRO because I'm a lifetimer

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  Because the official forums are not up yet and this is my favorite of the non official game forums.   I like the community - warts and all:)

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, Since it's not out yet yes, I personally thought GW1 sucked because it was point and click. However a freind told me it would be WSAD and feature a pvp experience like War of Emperium. I have been missing the larger battle experience for a long time so I wanted to check it out.

Do you currently play this game?:Yes, I also don't intend to stop soon.

If yes, please explain why:Well, many reasons. The transmutation(equivalent exchange) system with armor/weapons along w/ the dye system bring a complete sence of uniquness for me to help with emersion. I'm still intrigued with WvW. I'm enjoying my personal story on all fronts. I still feel like i'm in a new world where i can play and compete with the best.  

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Ehh, well..... I play GW2 when I can get some time in. Blacklight Retribution (good stress relief) Lotro (I like my house and have never unsubscribed) , and like many others I still have an active WoW account (don't play it often but it helps to pass the time when all else fails)

I'm here for the information. Not really the opinion part of the games just the knowledge you can get from other players testing, or reading up on other sites. All the information usually gets to this website in some shape or form. 

• TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263

Not Really, I mean heard of it and played GW1, but I was more of a SWTOR fan, needless to say I was wrong.

I played yesterdays Stress test beta and I pre-purchased the game.

I love the whole WvWvW idea, it reminds me of Lineage 2 castle wars back in 2004, also looking for a game  thats keeps me busy.

I was playing Aion not long ago but still the same thing it was in 2009, then I tried Tera's free trial and I liked the game but the community of the game and the fact that GW2 is about to come out and it does not require a monthly subscription made me quit playing the game.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I don't know just saw this thread under the "current forum activity" on the home page and clicked the link.

• ennymithennymith Member UncommonPosts: 121

Yes

Pre-purchased the game but was only able to participate in BWE3. I am looking forward to playing once the game goes live.

The BWE3 confirmed to me that GW2 was as good as and in some areas better than I expected.
    I let my subscription lapse on Anarchy Online (I had been on month-to-month) as now that I know I like GW2, it makes no sense to put money into a dying game like AO or invest any more of my time in a game design that I believe is fundementally bad.  AO is classic grind for gear scenario, further debased by an insane leveling grind which most players now skip by paying for powerleveling.  I was also playing Perfect World, a no subscription, but cash shop based asian grindfest.  If you want to see just how far a game and some players will take microtransactions, PW is at the extreme end of the spectrum.  Players spend huge sums to powerlevel and acquire legendary gear.  By huge sums I mean exponentially more than the typical annual subscription fee for a AAA MMO. 

Personally I like the fact that there are 'Pay-to-Win' games out there.  I believe people should be able to choose their entertainment and how much they want to spend on it.  Personally, competitive spending is not attractive to me, and I would prefere a game where I do not have to spend real money in order to be competitive in.

For a consise description of how game publishers go from not selling power, to selling it in cash shops, including facts and figures about the financial motivation, the role of forums in game publisher decisions, and more, I recommend  'Pay to Win' published by employees of Electronic Arts
    http://www.slideshare.net/bcousins/paying-to-win

I plan to play GW2 for as long as I enjoy it and as as long as they resist structuring micro-transactions in a way that makes them essential to competitive play.

I never hesitate to speak out with criticisms of any game I play, and find that 'official' game forums and forums at sites dedicated to a specific game tend to be less than receptive to constructive criticism.  

At 'official' sites, game publisher staff are sometimes compelled to respond to criticism or suggestions in a way that is dictated by company policy, 'party line', or marketing department speak  that is less than helpful.

As a subsite of MMORPG, there is more likelyhood that people who like other MMO's will frequent this forum, in addition to current players.  I always look for posts from people who are not regulars.  Without fresh ideas from outsiders, official or dedicated forums tend to get stale.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Yes.  I still love playing GW1 and agree with much of Anet's philosophy for gaming.

Do you currently play this game?:  Yes (from BWE1 on)

If yes, please explain why:  I played the BWEs to test it out and to help give feedback to make it better.  I will be playing on release because I found it to be possibly the best video game I've ever played.  And my great experience with the BWEs (few minor bugs and only one game crash across 3 BWEs), showed me that Anet knows what they're doing.

If no, please explain why:  N/A

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  LoTRO (Premium) - love LoTR and it looked fun.  Have been playing for about a year and a half and had a bunch of fun until GW2 almost ruined it for me, lol. 

GW1 - at this point I'm mostly playing for the HOM achievements for GW2, but I originally bought it because it was a "MMO" without a subscription.  I loved it and kept playing for over 6 years now.

Wizard 101 (free) - play with my kids sometimes although I'm not a big fan of it for many reasons other than gameplay.

Family Guy Online - yes I play it!  Though not much because it's only ok.  Started playing it because I love the show.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I'm a big fan of Anet, and the GW IP (in case you couldn't tell lol) and, as anyone who knows me can tell you, I love to debate.  I also work hard to make sure that the misinformation about this game (and there's a lot of it) gets corrected.  Negative opinions are one thing, half-truths and outright lies are quite another.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Yes, I've followed it for years. I was more interested in it than GW1 because it seemed to have a more balanced PvE to PvP ratio than GW1, which was decidedly more PvP oriented, in my opinion.

I pre-purchased and play in the BWEs and stresst tests until August 25th when it will become my "main" MMO.

I think GW2 has an optimum balance between PvE and PvP. I am drawn to the story, the races, the professions, and very much the crafting, the mini-games and the beautiful enthralling graphics. So much to do in the game with exploration, vistas, jumping puzzles, and just running into "trouble" everywhere. I'm very excited about this title.

Not applicable

There are several MMOs I play around with, but the only ones I am "actively playing" are World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2 (in it's beta form until Aug 25).  I play around with D3 (which is not an MMO) and EQ2 (which I return to every now and again because I miss the housing so very much).

Why do I play WoW?  I play it because so many people I know play it and because it's simply uncomplicated fun. Yes, it's easy.  I don't really think that's a bad thing all the time.  Sometimes easy is relaxing.  I like humor in games too, and WoW doesn't seem to take itself too seriously...I've always appreciated that.

I love GW2, what can I say?  It's the next "big thing" for me as a gamer and I'm excited for it to all begin!  I read and post on this forum a lot, really.  It's interesting and exciting....with the exception of the douchy troll posts that end up here so often. 

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Yes. Looking for a game to take over WOW as my Casual game.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes. I bought it already and will play it.

If yes, please explain why: It has all the Themepark elements in the right place and it is not boring as many of the latest AAA Themeparks.

EVE and Tera

I don't post much on this forum. GW2 don't need to be defended or criticised, it stands on its own feet.

It will do well whether some people like it or not.

• ColeguillaColeguilla Member Posts: 23

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes. Because it's different.

Do you currently play this game?: Not until release.

If no, please explain why: Because beta weekends doesn't count I think.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: I'm not playing any MMO right now.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Because this is the only game I'm interested right now.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Yes, we play a MMO that is not released yet. Well done. 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  I sure was.  Though I didn't particularly care for GW1, a friend told me about GW2 over 2 years ago and I've watched it shape up into something amazing despite my early doubts.  I've been a fan since the first released footage.

Do you currently play this game?:  I've played all three beta weekend events and will be playing on Launch.

If yes, please explain why:  I was impressed enough by ANet's promises and the fact that others had played the game to pre-purchase a copy for myself, thereby gaining access to the BWE's.  I play/will play GW2 because it does something different.  After years of WoW, I'm burnt out on the type of treadmill and restrictions games like those feature at their core.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  I'm not currently playing any MMOs.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  There are a lot of fellow GW2 fans here and I participate in forums a lot when I'm waiting for a game to release.

• suu141suu141 Member Posts: 249

Were you interested in this game before it came out?   Yes.

Why?    Design of the game got my attention.

Do you currently play this game?:   Whenever the server is up, Yes.

If yes, please explain why:     First time, in a very long time, I am enjoying a decent PvP game that wasn't obviously made with  an half-ass attitude.

If no, please explain why:      N/A

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:    Currently nothing.  Last MMO played: Star Wars: The old Republic, played mostly for the story/NPC conversations (Bioware fan)    and Aion:  for the PvP.

To share my thoughts with the community, whom might find them interesting and/or helpful.

"When you're born you're naked, when you die you're naked again, and in-between all we do is work, eat, and play MMOs." ~Forum Warrior #141

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

No, not interested. When I realised that GW2 has many fans and that it would be a high-profile release I looked into it.

No.

---

I stopped playing mass market themeparks years ago.

I play only one MMORPG at a time, currently it's Wurm, since 3 or 4 months. Full sandbox experience, no quests, no developer-made story, more to do than combat alone. Terraforming, creating my personal space, building and crafting, contributing to the village and the kingdom, keeping my region of the land safe for travellers.

Posting very infrequently on this particular forum, have made maybe 6 or 7 posts here. MMORPGs are one of my hobbies, I find it interesting to see how high-profile releases go and what games can draw a mass audience.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• ronpackronpack Member Posts: 138

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  yes. I played GW1 and enjoyed it and after seeing videos and features for GW2, it has me excited.

Do you currently play this game?no

If no, please explain why: I always wait for MMO's to mature for a few months to work out the bugs.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Eve Online for the PVP. Plus my corpmates (guildmates) are cool. I love sandbox MMO's the most. I also play Aion and City of Heroes. Currently waiting on SWTOR to go F2P and Planetside 2 to be released.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Interest in GW2 and seeing other people's opinions.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Yes. I'm interested in MMOs as a whole and this one seems like it's doing osmething different.

UHm.. no .. no one does.. it hasn't been released yet.  But i've played it in beta.

because it hasn't been released yet.

EQ2 - great endgame.

TSW - amazing story and world immersion, made by Funcom.

LoTRO - great story and world immersion

it's a major MMO release and one with unique features that are intersting to discuss in the grand scheme of MMOs as a whole

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

NOTE: Please do not answer questions that currently do not apply. Feel free to edit your answers to these questions in once the game goes live.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Anet + GW in open world sounded awesome.

Do you currently play this game?: yes and got the preorder.

If yes, please explain why: the game has a great variation on a typical theme. yes it is class-based, but the roles played by classes vary enough and the classes are unique enough to hold my attention.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: EQ2, Vanguard, the emulator that shall not be named, and RIft when i need a rehash fix.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? frankly, i find myself posting here mostly in response to fanbois heralding the fall of some other big mmo b/c of GW2 or in response to some interesting point someone has brought up concerning gameplay.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• schrayschray Member Posts: 18

Hey guys,

Well it didn't come out yet, but I was intrested in it from the day they announced it because I played alot of Guild Wars 1.

Pre-purchased, played 3 beta weekends

I've played a lot of mmos and haven't felt so drawn into the game world since WOW's first days.

I'm not playing anything at the moment because I dont want to waste my time with games that are not worth playing and I got bored of WOW

I currently have nothing better to do :)

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

NOTE: Please do not answer questions that currently do not apply. Feel free to edit your answers to these questions in once the game goes live.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Yes but i wasnt convinced it would be anything special..

Yes during BWEs..

To help anet make a better game while getting my monthy must have fix in at the same time..

None..

The sheer excitement i share along with other GW2 players that are pumped about playing this outstanding game and some occasional correcting of misinformation..

Playing GW2..

• WarriorNeedsWarriorNeeds Member Posts: 34

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, heard about it after GW1 launched and was excited to see them move to a full MMO model.

Do you currently play this game?: No.

If no, please explain why: It is not released yet.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: TSW.  It's fun and the theme and skill wheel are a refreshing change.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Seems to be an immense amount of traffic in these forums (so much so that it seems aside from this and TOR forum, it's the only thing people talk about.  Whereas people typically post in the TOR forum to bash it, people post in this forum to hype/promote it).

• Got_Game_TVGot_Game_TV Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, because I'm interested in every new AAA mmo.

Do you currently play this game?: No.

If no, please explain why:  Tried it during beta and it still seemed fairly similar to my past games.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Not playing any MMORPGs, playing DayZ.  The experience is fresh and hasn't staled for me yet.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? This is where all the posts from MMORPG.com are right now.  All the action is here.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Extremely. I thoroughly enjoyed GW1 and had been looking forward to the next expansion (the supposed 'Utopia') when I read it was canceled and work had begun on GW2 instead. That was many years ago at this point, and I'd been googling "Guild Wars 2" daily ever since for more news. Tyria is the first game world I've delved into the lore for, because I found it that interesting. It also had the most unique classes for its time (Mesmer, Ritualist, Dervish, for instance) which is great for alt-whores like me that want to stay entertained while leveling tons of classes. Naturally that fervor would transfer to GW2, especially with an open-world and higher level cap.

Do you currently play this game?: Technically, yes, since I was playing since BWE1 even if the beta events were sporadic.

If yes, please explain why: After 3 events, I've only been left wanting more. I've been through the starting zones probably 8 times each at this point and I'm STILL not tired of them. The Dynamic Event system ensures each run through a zone is different, and also means you're potentially "raiding" right from level one, bosses popping out all over the place and everyone in the area gathering to fight together, without having to shout "LFP!" One of my best experiences so far is actually at level 5, when I was crushing spider eggs in the human starting zone farm and there were enough people around that the Spider Queen appeared and started tearing into the crowd, and everyone gathered to take it down. Too much fun.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: None, I'm tired of the sameness of most MMOs and those that do something different (like EVE) are too radically different for my taste. Games like SWToR (for its story) and TSW (for its investigative missions) interest me, but not enough to pay for. The money is better spent on a single player game, where I'll get more value than paying a monthly fee for one facet of a game that would only entertain me for a week.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? It's the bestest, evar. That, and people's preconceived bubbles of ignorance are fun to burst.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• RattusRattus Member UncommonPosts: 31

Yes. I was interested and following it's progress but was going to play a wait and see at launch.

Received the game as a wedding gift and will be playing on the 25th of August.

It has a fresh feel to it. The WvW is amazing fun and the art style is incredible.

Vamguard:Saga of Heroes.  I like it's old school feel and open world.  The classes are interesting as well.

I hardly ever post in the forums here as you can see.  More of a lurker I guess.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Hey guys,

1) Duh?  The game hasn't come out and I'm totally interested in it.  Because it brings several different things together.   The crazy cosmetic gear chase of TF2, the 5v5 map battles similar to League of Legends, the WvWvW sieges that actually WORK instead of being some 1/2-arsed promise ala WAR or AoC, the crafting that's amazing...and just the beauty of the world locations.  The game feels alive.

2) Yes, I play this game every BWE and Stress test.  See above for reasons why.

3) I'm currently playing NO particular MMO titles.  Does League of Legends count?  Otherwise I'm  burned out on all MMO's until GW2 releases.

4)  Because I'm currently obsessed with Guild Wars 2 and am counting down until it officially launches.  Because discussing it's features, faults, possitives and such helps pass the time until the day finally comes when it comes out (20 days, 13hrs, 3 minutes).   And because on MMORPG this site dedicates a forum to specific games, where other sites it's only single threads to individauls games and that's not enough.