Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

Comments

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, I was hooked when i saw the irst WvW videos from press beta.

Do you currently play this game?: no

If yes, please explain why:

If no, please explain why: not out yet.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: currently only LoL 

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? dont post much just read alot.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

NOTE: Please do not answer questions that currently do not apply. Feel free to edit your answers to these questions in once the game goes live.

played a million mmo's

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

No. I did not like GW1 (although I did play until I ascended) and didn't like certain things about early GW2 vids either, such as the full body highlight around targets. 

Do you currently play this game?:

Yes

I was coming off a major TSW letdown and got a key for BWE3, tried it out and fell in love with the art style, the races, the concepts, the world design, the WvWvW, the racial areas, etc...

If no, please explain why:

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

I have canceled all current mmos (AC1, UO and Rift) in anticipation of playing GW2 exclusively come the 25th.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

My new found love for the game, and sharing thoughts about the game with others.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Yes.  The initial trailer released with the announcement of the game didn't excite me very much, but I started getting very excited for the game once the much longer videos from Gamescon were released around 2009 showing off the various gameplay.

During the betas and stress tests for as much as possible.

Because Guild Wars 2 is truely an evolution of the MMO genre.  It just makes any other MMO released pale in comparison.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

I tried to play TSW to tide me over till Guild Wars 2 officially releasing, but being rather hardcore myself I finished nearly all the content it had to offer in a week and a half.  I can't bring myself to play any other MMOs right now.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Random discussions about the game and my hobby.  Same reason I post in any forums, really.

• HybridvampyrHybridvampyr Member Posts: 61

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, It has all the makings of a game that will keep me busy for a long time

Do you currently play this game?: The Beta weekends

If yes, please explain why: The Exploration, Combat system, Dye system and pretty much every other feature.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: TSW whilst im waiting.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I like to get the extra little pieces of info that i may have missed myself.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: No. GW1 never did quite grab me and originally thought this was just a continuation. Never looked deeper into it.

Do you currently play this game?: No

If no, please explain why: Have not purchased it yet.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: EverQuest and City of Heroes. Nostalgia's sake.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I have recently gotten an interest in GW2.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TorlukTorluk Member Posts: 162

No - It's not really my cup of tea, I don't have a rig that would do it justice at the moment and therefore it hasn't interested me enough to warrant building a new one just to play it.

No

See first answer.

Currently playing Wurm Online.  I play Wurm because it is the best medieval virtual world simulator on the market at the moment and one of the only sandboxes to offer PvE only servers.  Also, I have the freedom to do what I want, when I want without being limited in progression.  By that I mean there is no preset path the developers have set out for the players, all items are tradeable and 99% are player crafted.  Pretty much a solid all-round sandbox experience.

Just here to add some more data to the experiment.  I sometimes read what others have posted in this subforum as I like to keep up to date with what is happening in the MMORPG genre but this is the first time I have posted in it.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, but I became interested into it much later than the average, around the BWE 3 (so end of July 2012)

Do you currently play this game?: Yes, I prepurchased and will play any and all Stress test they do and then the release.

If yes, please explain why: This game is to Today what WoW was to 2004. It refine the last 8 years+ of MMOs in a single awesome package. While no single element is revolutionary, like for WoW in 2004, no other game does everything GW2 does as well as GW2 does. Also Charrs.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: I've an Annual pass in WoW, so technically I'm playing that, but since end of July, I am not playing any MMO.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I love GW2 and talking about it. Also there are no official forums ><

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

NOTE: Please do not answer questions that currently do not apply. Feel free to edit your answers to these questions in once the game goes live.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455

Well, it hasn't come out yet... but yes, I was. Why? Very simple: finally something that is not a "WoW clone" with minor variations.

I was in beta events, then I prepurchased and played all the BWE and stress tests, and I will be among the first in line to log in August 25 at midnight PST.

Best theme park MMO released since World of Warcraft, possibly even since Asheron's Call. No gear dependency, cooperation encouraged, a huge and living world, dynamic events and also dynamic combat, but also more "fluff" content (vistas, jumping puzzles), not to mention the game itself is polished and more stable in beta than many games several months after their release (*cough*TSW*cough*).

LOTRO because I have a lifetime sub, and some PvP in WoW daily to pass time until GW2 is released.

Despite the few trolls and negative posters from other games on a "hate crusade", people here are generally well informed about the MMORPG genre and most of the information and opinions posted are interesting. I also like how the moderators are usually relatively fast at spotting and nuking obvious troll threads/posts, making the forum more enjoyable for everybody really interested in the game. One remark though (I already sent Mike a PM about this), I think the forums in general could use a couple of European and Asian time moderators to cover the time when the actual US moderators are sleeping or offline.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• tifalockharttifalockhart Member UncommonPosts: 72

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes as i played guild wars 1

Do you currently play this game?: Yes i was in the final beta weekend and the the stress test last night

If yes, please explain why: i enjoy the story and lore from the first guild wars and this is a continuation

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Champions Online, DCUO, Startrek Online as these are MMO's  i enjoy.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? i just seen the experiment and wanted to post to it, i dont think ive ever posted on these forums.

Waiting For:Archeage
    current:Guild Wars 2
    past: EQ, EQ2, Planetside, SWG, Matrix Online, Ultima Online, WoW, CoH/CoV, Tabula Rasa, Pirates of the Burning sea, AoC, Eve Online, Startrek Online.Fallen Earth, Champions Online, SWTOR

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

Hey guys,

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, loved the original, so being interested in part 2 is natural

Do you currently play this game?: I wish =P   Will be playing as soon as it comes out.

If yes, please explain why: I have fun playing the game.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Currently, none.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? This is the game I know the most about and have the most to say about. If someone has a question, I'd be more than happy to share my knowledge and experiences.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Yes. Guildmates plan on heading there for PVP.

No.

It's not out yet.

Ultima Online - Diversity of choices. Fim sim/virtual world style gameplay.
    EVE Online - trading and market side of the game is fun

Nothing. I use Recent forum posts to find threads. Never browsed directly to a GW 2 forum.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Yes, because with every bit of new information that came out, I noticed more and more that the developers were actually delivering on their promises to their fanbase.

No, awaiting the head start.

No more betas I don't think.

StarTrekOnline, to pass the time. I occasionally login to WoW just to see if they have done an update.

To help educate the people who honestly don't know much about this title despite all of the information on this subject in your own forums. The sticky notes are apparently not enough to give people a better idea of how this game works. I find there are a large number of posts from people that simply have the wrong idea about the game and it's store because they haven't done enough reading. I come here too in the hopes that someone will post something I haven't read or seen yet.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Hey guys,

Yes. Was a huge fan of the first game, so naturally I was interested in the sequel. When I heard their design manifesto my interest peaked quite a bit. This is the first company I've seen that actually focuses on game design, and points out very real design issues with other games, and lays out their approach to tackling these issues. It's extremely rare to see a company that focuses on good game design nowadays.

About as much as one can? The game isn't out yet, so.. I have played all the BWEs but one. Though I generally avoided the stress tests after the first one. Trying not to burn out my initial experience in beta, so some of the starting experience is still fresh.

Because it's not out yet.

Not really playing any MMOs currently. Played TSW for a little over a week, and got really tired of it. Currently, the closest thing to an MMO I'm playing is GW1. Though, I'm mostly playing single player games, trying to beat some of the ones I bought a while ago, but never finished.

Mostly to see if there's any new insights from the community. I also like to help people who have questions, concerns, or are less informed. However, most of the time what I'm actually doing is correcting the massive amounts of lies, misinformation, and slander posts directed at the game. There's been so many of these that I've actually stopped posting as much, because it's become a huge waste of time. However, it still bugs me when people just make up crap about the game, because I know some people is going to read it as truth and then get false expectations / impressions of the game.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Hey guys,

Yes, the setting, themes &  design were interesting, also the B2P model factored into the decision.

Played the Beta weekends, have pre-purchased.

It scratches an itch for something off the beaten path

Main MMO is SWTOR - I'm a Star Wars fan & I enjoy the game despite its perceived faults, I find the raiding content fun & the stories engaging.  TSW another off the beaten path game, casually.

Hard to say, motivations are generally spontaneous & change momentarily.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Hey guys,

Yes. Been following the development of GW2 since it was announced; played GW1 before switching over to WOW, and now switching back to GW2.

Yes. I have pre-purchased and have played in all BWEs and in all Stress Tests.

I have pre-purchased GW2 and have played in all BWEs and in all Stress Tests; will obviously be playing upon release. I wanted to try the game for myself, contribute in helping fund the game buy pre-purchasing, and help the development of the game by participating in the betas.

I played WOW for a little over 7 years; I finally quit on February 2012. I only have enough time to play one game, and that will be GW2.

I like to participate in the discussion regarding the video games which I enjoy playing myself.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Yes, Ree Soesbee bewitched me on Gamescom 2010 :D Hadn't looked too much into the game prior to that first ever playable demo, I loved what I experienced playing it and this got amplified by how passionate the Anet devs are about their own game, all information released from that point on and how open they are about the state of the development process. This over time made me realize that this time around it's real and not just marketing hype with fancy CGI trailers and devs trying to look enthusiastic about their game in Q&A or teaser vids, Anet really are that enthusiastic and delivering what they promise.

If the game servers were up I would definitely be online.

So far I love every part of the game, the complete package which is something no other mmo managed before. And it's coming exactly on the right time because I've been bored of and slightly burned out due to multiple years of at least 3 full raid evenings a week and the artifical character progression offered by gear progression. I've missed going out and just exporing the game world and a lot of detail in my mmo's, I'm very happy Anet brings this to the genre.

LOTRO - played for 5+ years (since couple of months after its original release) and still feel attached to my hobbit and the lore. Because I've got a lifetime sub I can just come and go as I please without restrictions and the past half year I've only checked back to see how the story continues, the game world expands and for festival fun.

GW1 - to catch up on the lore in Nightfall and EotN and unlock some points in HoM.

I'm very excited about and a fan of this game so I'm following everyting about it on the internet and like to participate in discussions about many things related to the game.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Not at first.  I always thought a persistant world GW would be better but was involved in other games.  Once I took time to learn what GW2 was about I became a big fan.

When there has been an event, yes.  I have prepurchased and will play at launch.

IMO it's the closest thing to what I think an MMORPG should be that is out right now.  It's simply a fun game to play and I enjoy the interactive environment.  I'm tired of linear quest grinds, disjointed systems and the idea that gear power is the means to play a game.

N/A

None at the moment, probably wont until the 25th.  That falls toward the end of the summer term so I'm using this time to study (well, not right NOW image).

Entertainment, info and intrigue.  Most posters here have a good sense of humor and ask good questions.  Plus, I'm not interested in any other MMOs out right now so I really have no where else to go other than General.

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

Yes.  Seemed to have some interesting new features.  Didn't have a focus on end game, daily quests, or token grinds.  Plus with no sub, seemed it might be a good second game to play occasionally.

I will be playing on release, yes.

Mostly because our guild will be playing, there is no sub fee, and it seems a good game to play casually.

LotRO because of it's big open world, soloability, and community features.

I'm a rare poster and don't go to specific game forums.  I look to see what the most recent topics are on the left and visit what sounds interesting.

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523

Hey guys,

Yes. I played GW1 and have been following the development of GW2 since it was first announced.

I played in the beta and will play upon release.

I enjoyed playing GW1 a lot and was very excited when GW2 was announced.

I currently play WOW (up to Cata) but will quit as soon as GW2 releases.

I have been following the forums on this website for a while now and decided it was time to post! :)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

Yes, while I did play GW1 and thought it was a well made game, it's design wasn't to my liking.  ANET is promising to break down the barriers and deliver us a decidly different gaming experience this time around and I'm hoping it will relieve some of the stagnation I feel the genre is suffering from.

No, not yet, I'm one of the 5 gamers left on the planet who hasn't tried any of the betas.

I stopped playing betas because I found myself burning out on games before they ever launched, and I'd prefer to not rerun the same content at launch that I did in beta.  Besides, I'm finding that by waiting a bit after launch I miss some of the early shenanigans.

TSW, mostly because I was bored and it's different enough to keep me entertained until GW2 comes out.

I'm a BitterVet™ and a Troll, and look at my post count, I post everywhere frequently. image

But I also have an interest in this title (and some concerns on the design changes) so I enjoy discussing them.

Besides, its soooo much fun to rile up the fanbois image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Yes, I became interested in GW2 originally because of the Anet Manifesto video.  I bagan watching YouTube clips of the various Con panels that the Anet staff attended.  At first, I didn't believe that the things they were saying was actually possible since I felt that I had been misled so many times in the past.  I then discovered a strong community of followers and began conversing with them.  Then I saw gameplay, and was blown away.  Finally, I had a chance to play the game and learned that everything they had all been saying was true.

As often as I have opportunity, yes.

Because it's a quality game that I feel confident to invest my time and effort and not feel it will be wasted because of future changes in the game.  It's a reward-for-investment thing.  

Aside from GW2, I currently play GW1 because, again, of the community and connection to GW2.  The need to feel like my past accomplishments will carry to the future is very important to me.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I normally post as a reaction to something another community member has posted.  Mostly because I enjoy talking about GW2 nearly as much as I enjoy playing it.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• DrinkingbearDrinkingbear Member Posts: 60

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:Yes,  i played GW1 for a few years and after vanilla WOW I was waiting for the same feeling.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes

If yes, please explain why:I pre-purchased so I could play the beta week-ends and start a few days early crafting food.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:None. Waiting for the 25th.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I like to get information from fellow mmo'ers about the status of the game and ways to make it more enjoyable. I hope to see some of them in-game. The usual suspects on here seem like good people and it's a nice place to come too.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I wasn't really interested in GW2 for quite a while.  In fact, I scofed at the idea of a non-sub AAA MMO being successful outside of a niche.  While playing SWTOR with my multi-gaming guild, Unrepentant Gaming, I was privy to conversations about GW2.  My interest was piqued a few months ago.

I play GW2 during the BWEs and plan on playing it at the head start.

The game itself is loads of fun, and the aforementioned Unrepentant guys (or Ueys) are a blast to play with.

Aside from the GW2 BWEs, I'm not playing any MMO (unless SMP Minecraft counts). 

I actually play this game and am looking forward to the release.  I'll post here and a few other places, but generally, the GW2 subforum is what I'm most interested in.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Yes, I was always a fan of the Guild Wars games, so naturally GW2 drew my interest. When they came out with the Manifesto I was fully hooked.

Yes, in the BWEs and stress tests at least. Already pre-purchased and looking forwards to it going live.

Why do I currently play it? I wuvs it! Seriously, it's such a breath of fresh air blowing away the stagnation of the MMO genre that it's the only MMO I can tolerate playing these days. Not just tolerate, but absolutely love!

None. Cancelled WoW and Eve subscriptions after trying a pre-BWE1 beta weekend. Even then the game hooked me so deeply I couldn't bring myself to play another.

It's GW2 baby!

Oderint, dum metuant.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes.  I became interested in this game due to the information that came from conventions when people were allowed to play and confirm what was said by the developers to be true.

Do you currently play this game?Its not out (obviously, eh), but I have a prepurchase and have played all the BWE's and stress tests, and plan to play at launch.

If yes, please explain why:  I enjoy the exploration, variety of activities, combat, lore, setting, WvW, and how the PVE is presented.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: TOR, TSW, and Tera are the 3 I currently have subscriptions atm, but I do not plan to continue those subscriptions.  I do not like how the content is presented, and lack of activities outside of combat in these titles.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I enjoy and plan to further enjoy the game.  I find good information here, and try (without trolling, which is hard at times) to provide relevant information.

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S