Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Do you currently play this game?:

If yes, please explain why:

If no, please explain why:

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

NOTE: Please do not answer questions that currently do not apply. Feel free to edit your answers to these questions in once the game goes live.

Comments

• TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Yes

Do you currently play this game?:  No 

If no, please explain why:  I have not been able to get a key for beta

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: WOW, to pass the time. I came from age of conan which i played for 4 years at launch and have been looking for a game similar to it ever since.

Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I post here because im interested in the game. Lots of good discussions go on here and its fun to be apart of them.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: yes. I played GW1 and have been interested in this MMO ever since it was first announced

Do you currently play this game?:  prepurchased so I play it ever chance I get and will play it when it's released

If yes, please explain why: The game eliminates (to it's best ability) greifers, and it's playstyle condones good behavior.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: I am currently playing Aion, but I have been having a hard time logging in.

Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? People that make brilliant posts and I want to show I agree, people that ask questions and I want to help, or people that make ignorant/silly/wrong statements and I feel the need to share their misguidance. Usually the latter.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

NOTE: Please do not answer questions that currently do not apply. Feel free to edit your answers to these questions in once the game goes live.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• robotchio30robotchio30 Member UncommonPosts: 16

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Yes, because it seemed innovative and fun

Do you currently play this game?: BWE"s and stress tests

If yes, please explain why: to help improve it

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: none

Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I post more frequently in guild wars 2 forums because I want to know more about other people's opinions about the game

Shadow Of Apophis

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

Yes, I like the look of WvWvW, even though if I would prefer it to take place outside of a giant instance. I also liked the encouraged exploration.

Kind of (BETAS), and I have prepurchased so that I can play it fully.

I am interested in the PvP combat, as it is the closest thing to WAR that I have seen. I still prefer many aspects of WAR but it has held fast at not taking the f2p rout. I also enjoyed the PvE I got to play and it really feels like a step in the right direction, although still not perfect by far.

NA

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:
    LOTRO, APB: Reloaded, GW2 (Betas, awaiting launch), and SWG.

Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?
    I don't post a lot anywhere. The reason being that I don't think people fully consume conversations and those that would, have a hard time finding it in the fast paced interwebs. I don't blame the website, I blame internet culture (the type that skim everything) with the design of forums. I do enjoy blogging though, and I think it attracts my kind of crowd usually. Maybe I should start blogging again.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

YES, saw the manifesto awhile back and thought it looked amazing.
    yes
     PVP, combat, DE's, exploration, no gear grind, no set roles for classes, multiple starting areas, interesting races, gear does not dictate battles, scaling, zone atmosphere, zone design, WvWvW, crafting, Personal stories are there but not main focus of game, graphics

TSW for now...
    Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?
     I enjoy discussing games I enjoy, the more I enjoy the more I'll post( I know odd right?)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

yes - a friend told me they were working on "something different" so i checked out the features.  not a fan of linear gameplay so their DE system looked intruiguing.  From there I was pleasantly surprised to find even before the beta all the game's systems were public knowledge and I could tell it would be a fun game.

yes - For the betas, stress tests.

Non-linear PVE gameplay and PVP options above and beyond the rest of the genre.  Coupled with class design that doesn't stifle PVP balance for the sake of a more simplistic/controlled PVE experience.

N/A

Age of Conan - simply because i don't see anything being offered right now that i feel is worth spending money on.  i am very casually playing AOC because it is free and i like the graphics and gameplay somewhat.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I post in topics that are active that interest me.  I do not often search out posts in any particular sub-forum. 

• AdzijaAdzija Member UncommonPosts: 58

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  I was interested a bit but not too much. Usually I try no to get too interested if game is far from launch because I can't stand the long wait.

Do you currently play this game?: When it's available yes.

If yes, please explain why: Very fun to play for me. Love the feel of just wandering around and doing stuff on the fly with no need to go pick up quests or talk to npc's. Very rich world (at least those lower level areas) and interesting stories.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Guild Wars. After reading a bit about stuff going on there i realised it is very interesting for me and i want to see it for myself so...

Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I usually only post if i think i have something constructive to add to discussion. Mostly I avoid getting into like/dislike and love/hate topics but I don't mind reading sometimes.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Hey guys,

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, the game seemed interesting and I liked the idea of 3 server PvP.

Do you currently play this game?: No

If no, please explain why: I pre purchased it and played in all the BWE's and will play it on the 25th.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: None

Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I really do not post much in this forum anymore, too many pessimist's and rage haters on every game here to even bother reading through threads. I do read the articles and watch some of the video's to keep informed on some other games.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Yes. Huge fan of GW1.

Bought it and played in the beta.

Love the ideas behind the game especially the pvp which was my favorate part of the original.

No MMOs right now.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Its the game Im most looking foward to this year.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, Guild Wars was fun and I bought all the games + expansions that are not called expansions including eye of the north.

If no, please explain why: Don't feel like playing a few hours a week just to aim at stress tests

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Not playing too many mmos except elsword, aion, eden eternal, rusty hearts, lotr, spiral knights, and champions online in that order. Playing mostly F2P mmos because I like the art style and gameplay.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Looking forward to Guild Wars 2 so looking at threads regarding the game

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Yes. I played GW1. I like the B2P idea. I have several firends also planning to play.

No, not released yet. I also skipped beta because I want the game to be "new" when I start when it's released.

WoW - I left when SWTOR released in December. I recently re-subbed to do the woW Ironman Challenge. 

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I try to avoid this forum if I can. There are some exceptions of course if I spot an interesting topic title.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    yes, enjoyed GW1

been in the weekend betas

Everquest 2 - because its a fun themepark for me

I'll post in any form if its a game discussion -- for this forum, im a fan of GW2

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  yes, it sounded nifty so I decided to have a look. Nothing too specific here.

Do you currently play this game?: I have played it, and I will be playing it.

If yes, please explain why: There are so many things about it that I appreciate as a direct result of things that I dont like in other mmos.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  None. Mmo's in general suck ass.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I have been hanging out here alot over that past week or so. Frankly , I am bored to tears, and just waiting for this game to release; as soon as it does.... I am so out of here.

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265

Hey guys,

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes. Because it copied a lot of things from DAoC and I always wanted a DAoC 2. In a way it is its spiritual successor.

Do you currently play this game?:  yes

If yes, please explain why:  I love the dynamic events and the PvE as a whole. (which is strange as I'm a PvPer)

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  None until the 25th august.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? That I can't be downvoted (damnit reddit) for having unpopular opinions. Also because the ratio of fanboys to non-fanboys is relatively low.

• PalmyCloudPalmyCloud Member Posts: 79
    Yes, a friend of mine played the original Guild Wars and when we heard about Guild Wars 2, we decided to found a guild once the game is released. The biggest reason I like this game, is that its design is dependent of their community centered philosphy.

I have played BWE2 and I am looking forward to actually purchase it within the next weeks.

The gameplay is fun. Simple as that.

I am on a break since I quit World of Warcraft one year ago.

Depends, sometimes when I see someone spreading misinformation I feel I have to protect the game. Then, I also like to contribute to speculative discussions here, because I feel it is more likely to "succeed" here than on a website which is dedicated to Guild Wars 2.  In general, I like trying to answer questions about the game or join discussions about certain gameplay and design elements.

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

deleted

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Yes because I've been following this game's developers since Warcraft and wanted to try the MMO they talked about wanting to create but failed to create in the original Guild Wars.

Yes, when it is available. (It is currently in beta.)

Guild Wars 2 fits my play style very well. It has features that interest me such as fair and balanced competitive PvP, large scale battles with objectives in World versus World, dungeons, a detailed world that lends itself to exploration and game mechanics that create a stress free PvE experience. Guild Wars 2 is also very well polished which is rare in projects of similar scope.

So to summarize; I play Guild Wars 2 because I have fun when I play.

I've all but stopped playing other MMOs.

Sometimes I like to talk about the game when I'm unable to play it because talking about it is more fun than playing other games. Sometimes I genuinely want to help people looking for information by giving my opinion or stating a fact. Sometimes I want to discuss game mechanics that work or don't work in hope that the discussion will bring the developer's attention to the topic (either directly or indirectly). Sometimes I feel like participating in the social MMO of Forum Warz! (But I try to avoid this... just keeping it real, yo.)

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Yes. because it was different than the other MMO's I have been getting burned out on. 

Do you currently play this game?: Yes

If yes, please explain why: Because the Devs are taking some of the things that have been a problem for me in past MMO's and done away with them  (mostly reserving alts for particular people, roles that lead to elitism and piss poor attitudes like tanks charging to run dungeons because they are needed, making a world worth exploring and that truely engrosses me from the moment I log in to name the main ones as compared to worlds where you have no reason to go off the beaten path).  I have never followed a game this closely for this long and I have to say it has lived up to my realistic expectations.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Was on TSW untill 5 days ago. Other than that none because no games are interesting enough to fill the void left behind just from a few BWe's in GW2. I play these titles because I keep telling myself they can't all be crap, and after buying the new releases I am constantly wrong.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Because I am genuinely excited about the title and sadly, the forum seems to get a lot of misrepresentation of the facts so there is always a need for clarification, especially since I direct my guildmates to this site when looking for information on the game rather than posting stuff everytime a question is brought up on the guild website.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes. The features it offers got my attention.

If no, please explain why: The Stress test ended so I have to wait for early access.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: EvE just for fun to pass the time.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? The game interests me.

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why?:  

Yes, very. It seemed to offer something different than other current titles (combat, streamlined UI, dynamic event system, no monthly fee without gimping play)

Yes, during the beta weekends and stress tests.

I love the game. I love how it looks, how it plays, and it's a good match for my wife and I.

Other than the GW2 Beta (and live come release), nothing. MMOs are mostly dead to me.

I mostly post to answer questions posed by other forum members.

• MisthawkMisthawk Member UncommonPosts: 63

Yes.  I enjoyed GW1 very much, that when I learned in 2007 that there was a GW2 coming out, that wasn't all instanced, I was hooked from then on.

Yes.

Played all the weekend events, and like others, am awaiting launch.  I enjoy the fact that the game encourages questing, through the lines of dynamic events, the open grouping, etc.  I like the fact that there is no gear grind, the world around you is alive, and that what you and others do, dictates how the world around you will play out.

Rift.  I played it in the past, and recently picked it up and started playing it again.  After playing GW2 betas, I am stuck on the open grouping feature, which Rift also has, and pretty much commit to games that carry this feature.

To learn.  Others have seen what others have not.  By reading and posting in this subforum, I can learn, as well as, give feedback to others who may wish to buy and play this game as well.  Since the game isn't even released yet, all we can really do is discuss what we wish to see from it, and Q&A on topics from the BWEs.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Interest grew with first bits of information few years ago. Then GW became the most anticipated MMO for me.

No

Because its not out yet? Im thinking about buying GW2 tho. Just for fast arena PvP and learning combat mechanics. Not interested in other aspects of it.

Only The Secret World. I think it is the best MMORPG in last 8 years (since WoW). And yes, overal better then GW2. But I'm more interested in GW2' s PvP.

Not a frequent poster. Just saw this topic on front page.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Not at first, I thought it sounded like a WAR/Rift clone due to my misunderstanding of the DE system and thinking it sounded similar to PQs and rifts/invasions.  After reading more about the game and hearing endless positive experiences from previous beta testers I decided to check it out for myself in the final beta weekend event.

Do you currently play this game?:  Yes, at every available opportunity until headstart.

If yes, please explain why:  After playing GW2, every other game pales in comparison.  The game is incredibly polished and virtually bug-free while still in beta testing- such a welcome experience after playing other recent titles riddled with bugs well after their testing phase ended and the subscription-requiring client released.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Awaiting GW2, because I enjoy the PvE, PvP, and crafting.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I frequently post in this subforum to discuss my limited in-game experiences, inquire about mechanics still unfamiliar to me, and speculate about the potential success it will attain.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Yes until I heard it was made by NCsoft. It seemed like AION had just came out had issue but they ironed them out. It didn't make sense to me for NCsoft to support another fantasy mmo while AION was still the second most played sub based MMO. AION was pretty, but it was too much like WoW for me and I've never been a fan of korean mmos.

No

N/A

Cash shop where you can buy power and exchange cash for gems for gold. It just goes against the spirit of competition in my eyes. I think everyone should have an equal footing with out the influence of real money.

The community on mmorpg. So much bashing of all that is not GW2 with no regard for facts and others opinons. If it's not GW2 and b2p they will attempt to tear it down.

The dev and marketing team. I just got off the swtor hype train. "We will change the gaming world."  "End game starts at level 1"  "We don't want to overwhelm new players so we simplified" These things leave a bad taste in my month it sounds like lip service and the last thing I want to hear is we simplified. It just seems very condescending and reminiscent of BioWare.

No competitive PvE 

Instant 80 PvP just seems like that cuts the whole learning and getting more powerful out the equation.

TSW for the depth of systems, real world setting, learning curve, overall difficulty, customozation no two toons are the same, and just an overall attention to detail of the game world. You can look on google maps and see exactly where you just were playing, down to researching and looking up everything you see. It all has a tie to the real world. 

Tough questions need to be asked about GW2 just like every other mmo. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why?  

Yes.  Huge GW1 fan for years.  It is B2P, which is nice, and Anet has some very forward thinking ways of approaching the process of making a game.  They have vision, and they know where they want to take the game.  

Do you currently play this game?  

Well, it isn't out yet, but I flew out to Seattle to play the demo at PAX prime 2010, and I preordered pretty much as soon as it was available.  I have played in each BWE and each stress test.  So I guess the answer is yes.

The ease of group play, the combat, and the continuation of GW lore are all reasons for me to play the game, but my biggest reason is the structured PvP and the hot-join PvP.  I love it.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?

None, unless GW1 qualifies.  I really haven't been able to play other MMOs as I am always frustrated by the differences between how they do things and how GW does things.

The single biggest reason i started posting on this subforum was to try and keep the facts straight, and to keep people from coming to eroneous conclusions about what the game was like.  As it seems many others here also do this, I have moved to providing my views on topics that interest me.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.