Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Yes.  Funcom.  Illuminati (ironically I now play a Dragon).  Lots of mystery in the world and they seemed fun.  Tried to get into beta and just couldn't.  Too many issues early on.

Do you currently play this game?:

Yes.

If yes, please explain why:

B2P.  It lets me play at my pace.  If I WANT DLC, I'll buy it. 

If no, please explain why:

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

Planetside 2 (FPS) , EQ2 (story/free), TSW (B2P, good story), GW2 (I only keep this installed for guild stuff), Rift (I love/support Trion, I still think this was a pretty darned solid game, lots of positives).  I normally keep 1 P2P title and B2P/F2P comes on an as needed basis.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I answer peoples questions.  I think having a fair input helps to make choices easier.  Sometimes you find someone with a similar perspective.

Holy FORUM REZ batman!

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Read an article in PC Gamer, and as a longtime tabletop Call of Cthulhu player, was immediately interested.  The talk about investigation missions and needing to use my head (I'm an old time Myst player, too) made it a must buy.  Signed up for the beta and playing ever since.

Yep.

Love the investigation missions and the modern-day setting -- nice break from fantasy, as much as I like that genre.  Also a huge fan of the class-free, level-free system, and the ability wheel -- infinite flexibility there.  I love that I can play it at my own pace, and don't feel the need to rush through things.  It doesn't feel grindy, and so far it feels as if the progression is mostly horizontal after reaching maximum gear quality level.  The community is great -- lots of mature, friendly people.  Also seeing the potential of a more sandboxy direction with the RP elements (Albion Theater, nightclub and pubs...)

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

• TSW: It's now my main (see above)
    • LOTRO: Love the feel of the world and the landscapes.  Storylines are strong there as well.
    • AoC: Just starting out with this -- old time Conan fan, and want to try a grittier fantasy setting.  Heard good things about story
    • GW2: Enjoy the art as well as some of the new systems in that game -- some new ideas in the fantasy setting there
    • WoW: Mostly because friends are there, though my play time has greatly decreased.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I enjoy discussion about this game I like, and also clear up misperceptions or give help to those who are getting started.  Nice to just talk gaming in general!

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Yes, because it looks gorgeous and I liked what I saw/read. The combat mechanics are fun, the "leveling" is cool, and the dungeons are spectacular. The story is awesome.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes.

If yes, please explain why: Because it's now B2P for mere 22€ on Steam.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Only TSW.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Heh, nothing. I just saw this post on the front page.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I was very interested way before TSW came out - templars, Illumiati - the settings of game were drawing me in, but then I've heard about SWTOR and all my interest shifted.

I joust bought it on Amazon. I did not want to get it before when it was sub, knowing that I am not going to spend a lot of time there as I am still pretty much SWTOR addict. When it want B2P though I did not hesitate. I am currently playing as my second MMO.

As a story based MMO lover... it was an obvious choice.

N/A

SWTOR - obviously for story and SW.  Besides I found out that it feels very intuitive to me and I am having fun.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I post only on forums of games that I like to play. And so far I enjoy TSW very much - some of the investigation missions are amazing. I do not like to be negative and a little bit of positive attitude is what these forums need the most.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes

Do you currently play this game?: No

If yes, please explain why: N/A

If no, please explain why:  At the time was no sub, soon I will buy it from B2P business model conversion. The sub was not worth it for me since the games combat just bothered me for some reason, too static anf repetitive for the setting I think.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: GW2 (Actively) , WoW (Trying to force myself to enjoy it again for my friends sake...not going too well)

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I am only posting here because of this specific question, I do not usually post in here or have to my knowledge. Although if I played the game I would frequent it more often.

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, I played AoC after the initial buggy release and fell in love with the awesome storyline, dungeons, and mechanics of Funcom's game.

Do you currently play this game?:  Yes I do.

If yes, please explain why: The game has hands down the best storyline I have ever played in any MMORPG and I have played a ton.  The storyline is immersive, and quests are the best in any game.  I like the thinking that is involved with the game as well. I do hope more sandbox elements can make it into the game though.

If no, please explain why: N/A

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: EVE Online (Sandbox features), The Secret World (Best Quests/Storyline of any MMORPG), Diablo 3 (I love ARPG's although this one isn't good its really the only modern one out). 

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I'm tired of shitty games like Guild Wars 2 that are boring and uneventful, I try to promote TSW for its uniqueness, awesome storyline, and great voice acting.

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: yes very much so. i thought the concept of the game was interesting and different.

Do you currently play this game?: yup yup! just started actually - patcher just finished yesterday :3

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: play WoW (been playing it since 2007 it will always have a soft spot in my heart), Aion (just started playing it - one of my friends said it was really good), Cabal (just started playing it coz my friends want me to play with them) and GW2 (noob elementalist)

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? i want moar off-topic threads however funny or noobie they may be! it brings life to the community and makes it more fun to read everyday in here :3

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• KatbirdKatbird Member UncommonPosts: 21

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Followed it from the first time I heard about it because it sounded so different - like a cross between URU and MXO.

Yes I do and have since beta

It is fun, I have to think, I enjoy figureing the investigative missions out, I am intrigued with the ability wheel and how I can make my builds fit my play style better.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: This is the only one I am playing at the moment but I still have WOW and GW on my machine to peek in if I choose to.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I rarely post or read forums  unless I am looking for something specific.

• WillyMMORPGWillyMMORPG Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by MikeB
        Yes. I've always been a fan of Lovecraft, X-Files and conspiracy theory type of storylines.

Yes. Monthly subscriber, having fun with the End of the World event (Die Mayan zombie, die!)
       I was a long time World of Warcraft subscriber and got fed up with that game during the aftermath of Cataclysm. I played SW:TOR for three months and was so bored that I quit that game. I played Star Trek Online until they went all money-grab and botched the Season 7 roll-out because they didn't listen to widespread player concerns. So, I was looking for a new MMO and I tried out TSW, even before it went B2P. I like the game and with the decent perks for subscribers, I think I'll stick with it for the foreseeable future.

N/A

See above. TSW is the only game I'm actively playing at the minute. I canceled my subscription to Star Trek Online after Season 7 was released.

First post in this forum, just saw the TSW in the "recent post" box and curiosity caused me to check out the poll.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

No, because it was made by Funcom, a company that has never released an MMORPG that lived up to its potential, their inability to care about the players enough to listen, their inability to fix bugs and make updates in a short amount of time.

Yes.

With Funcom I always wait 5-6 months for them to get the game in playing order, they also dropped the sub AND I found it on sale on Amazon for $17.99

GW2, Runes of Magic, SWTOR, TSW...because none of them has subs and I have guildmates that still play them.

Cause im sick of playing the game and need a break...or im at work.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176

I'm not a heavy 'gamer' but I do enjoy MMOs despite a busy schedule mainly because of the online interaction with people. I met some really neat folks from the Middle East and Europe through my first online game, EQ2. I got a bit tired of EQ2 though and so was looking for something to replace it.

I played Star Wars the Old Republic and enjoyed it, but it seemed like every week I was being forced onto a new server and was losing all of my social connections and having to start from scratch. That got very frustrating.

So When I heard that The Secret World was all on one server and was set in the modern day I became intrigued enough to look more closely at it. I started doing the betas and, despite being a little rough around the edges, I also saw a lot of opportunity. That is was based on horror like Anne Rice was the real deal sealer for me. I haven't played anything else since those first beta days and most likely won't till I'm either one tired of it or two something like World of Darkness comes out.

I do. Full time stay at home mom so my available hours fluctuate. My husband and I share an account. It would be great to play together, but not really possible due to one of our children being special needs. On a good week I may get four or five hours to play.

I'll admit that many of the mechanics of the game are a bit over my head. I have a lot of guides printed out that explain combat and actives and passives, etc. but have yet to have the time to actually read them lol :). Still, I LOVE the art. Kingsmouth is like a beautifully haunting interactive painting. I LOVE that fashion is a huge element of the game. Sometimes I'll log onto one of my characters and just kill zombies - that alone is very cathartic after a taxing day.

Time constraints sometimes mean I will go a week or so without being able to play.

Right now I am only playing TSW. I would love a game like it based off of The Walking Dead or some other social-heavy game that was set in the modern day. World of Darkness looks very promising but is likely years away from being made. 

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I like seeing new outfits and screenshots, and the official forums make this difficult (you can only post links). TSW's community is, for the most part, a very mature and friendly one be they here, at the main site, or somewhere else. So I enjoy talking with other players, seeing what is new, and hopefully learning how to play better.

• Kemosabe-TBCKemosabe-TBC Member Posts: 58

Yes. I usually keep up with the news regarding all videogames, especially RPG's. This caught my attention because the setting was a bit different than the other MMOs in the target, it also looked really good. I didn't read much more about the game at the time though, and I promised myself I would never touch an MMO in my life since WoW in 2005 (too much time consuming) so I only bought the game when it went from subscription to B2P.

Yes

Well, I only started playing a few weeks ago so there's no reason to not be playing it, as there's still a lot of content I've experienced yet. But I'm really enjoying it and I see myself playing it for a long time. I bought a copy for my girlfriend and we've been playing together, it's a lot of fun.

Mind you that it's the first MMO my girlfriend has ever played, and it's not a game that is very "noob friendly", still she is loving it, that has got to mean something regarding the quality of the game. I bought it for 23£ on steam and I'm very surprised at the amount of content we got for such a price. Even if we play it just for the story (like a regular Single player/Co-op game), and abandon it after that, it will be WELL worth it, much more "bang for your buck" than any SP game could possibly give you.

This is the only MMO I'm playing. But it has re-kindled my interest in the genre again. I may be picking up some other MMOs after I get bored with this one.

Well, it's my first post ever in the forums (not just this particular subforum), I just recently found out about this site and registered.

• JannSilverJannSilver Member UncommonPosts: 3

Yes. The modern setting and the ARG components were interesting and different from what I'd seen before.

No but considering starting again as I did purchase the game at release.

N/A

Busy with other games, some online and some offline single player.

SWTOR: It's free and I have a few friends who are still active in the game.

Age of Wushu: Dabbling in the beta.

Happened to see the sticky thread and thought that I'd add my experience.

• DomenicusDomenicus Member UncommonPosts: 290

Very interested. The setting, the storytelling, the ARG, the skill based system...

Yes.

Basically, the storyline, the setting, the RP feeling, and the community (when I want  PvP, which means to have to accept a 12 years old community mentality, and yes, sometime I want it, I go to play the best PvP ever, Call of Duty, on MMORPG I search for imersion, not e-peen contest)

DC Universe, for fast and fun (PvP with the 12 year old mentality, when I am not in the mood for CoD)

Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I dont come very often in here, but sometimes I come to see the news and feel the temperature of the gamie outside the official forum

• JPaterson84JPaterson84 Member Posts: 11

I was interested in the subject matter and followed the game, but due to time constraints upon its release, I opted to not buy the game. I already had existing subscriptions to other games, as well.

Yes.

It dropped the subscription model and only required the game purchase, so I figured why not.

RIFT: Was a founding member prior to launch, and quite enjoyed it. However, my computer at the time couldn't handle the game that well, so I canceled my subscription. I've since bought a new computer, and the game has also gone free-to-play, so I went back to it.

World of Warcraft: I play it on and off; my subscription is still ongoing. When I'm bored, or don't feel like one of the other games, I'll hop onto it.

Guild Wars 2: A friend played the original and spoke highly of it, so I decided to buy it. It didn't hold me as long, but I pop on now and then when I want something different.

Age of Wushu: Downloaded and created a character, just haven't had time to get into it, so I have no opinion on this title.

The Secret World: Just started playing, the subject matter and adult themes is what drew me to it originally.

I rarely post on the forums here, but since I just started The Secret World, I came to see how healthy the game was.

Freelance writer, majority of work in the video game and entertainment industries.
    http://www.jpaterson.net/

• czombieczombie Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Do you currently play this game?: No

If no, please explain why: I'm not really interested in the theme.  Can only play as a human.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: World of Warcraft - The game has been around for a while so it has many features.  The graphics and toon models are still decent looking despite its age.  There are many race/class choices.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? - I don't.  I clicked on this post because it came up in the recently posted area.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

If you are going to participate, please remember to answer all questions.

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334

Definitely. Followed it from the day of its announcement. I was interested because the setting was very intriguing to me... a true take on "the normal, made strange". I'm a big fan of anything to do with the supernatural, conspiracy theories or urban myths and legends. A game built around that concept is a no-brainer; I'm interested.

That it was the brain child of Ragnar Tornquist, of whom I was already a fan, I knew that - at the very least - there would be a detailed world, excellent story, believable, interesting characters, superb writing and - at the least - above average voice acting. It's a trademark of his.

I was also intrigued because, regardless of their reputation, FC is one of the few developers out there who truly tries new things, rather than taking the "safe path" of "sticking to what's popular".

Yep!

For my money, they've delivered on just about everything I expected out of the game.  The world is immersive, atmospheric, disturbing and yet believable. The characters are varied, interesting, well written, have depth and are well voice-acted, pretty much across the board.

The game is challenging. I can't overstate how much I appreciate that FC doesn't feel the need to "coddle" me (or other players) by dumbing things down, holding my hand every moment, and spelling everything out - leaving me with nothing more to do than "connect the dots". Where most other MMOs make me feel almost like a passive spectator in what's happening to my character, TSW brings me into the equation, and makes me an active participant. Even with the tutorials and quest markers present, the game still demands a lot of the player in terms of thinking, problem-solving, researching, testing things out, etc.

FC respects my intelligence as a gamer and isn't afraid to challenge me. That alone goes a long way with me.

If no, please explain why:  n/a

I currently picked up Vanguard again. I picked it up because, even given my love for the setting/world in TSW, I'm also a fan of High Fantasy. Vanguard provides an open, seamless world with tons to see and do. It comes the closest to an "old-school" experience of any other I've tried... even with the changes SOE's made to it. An "old-school" MMO is something I miss when I don't have one to play.

Decided to pick up Neverwinter, just to check it out, as some people in my Cabal in TSW are playing it and it sounds like it could be a fun distraction to kick around in from time to time. It's from PWE - whose games and heavy-handed MTs I have a history with - so I won't be investing much in it, time or money-wise.

Well, I just returned to TSW, so that's a key reason for me to be posting here. I have an active, vested interest in what's being discussed :). I haven't posted much in here when I wasn't playing since, even though I was following the game's development, if I'm not actively playing it, I don't feel I have much to contribute, unless the topic is about what people thought of the game when they have played it.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Yes, I like the setting

Yes

Nothing right now.  awaiting several

Just like to see whats going on.

I self identify as a monkey.

• 430005430005 Member Posts: 52
    Do you currently play this game?

No.

Aged combat mechanics, bad GUI, non-optimised engine with long loadtimes, unbalanced PVP, no interesting raids, tired of broken dungeons, next to non-existant tradeskilling, over-complicated puzzles, grindy stale endcontent, game isnt setup for social interaction, hostile fanboi community.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?

GW2: Like dynamic events, smooth gameplay, fast dungeons, perfect for casual playthough.
    LotRO: Decent story, great atmosphere, quests can be fun and I just like the built world.
    SWTOR: Started to try it out since its partly free. Didn't like it when it was subbed.

What compels you to post in this subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I am interested in TSW because it had some fresh ideas, shame Funcom didn't make it work. Either way, it's my link to keep up-to-date with what is happening ingame.
  • ThompsonSubThompsonSub Member UncommonPosts: 147

Yes. hugely. Ragnar Tournquist wrote a fantastic story for Anarchy Online and I assumed he would do the same with TSW. TSW does have a lot of story but I don't feel it is of the same caliber as Prophet Without Honor. (available free online)  

No. My wife and I played for a few months but the gameplay got old quickly.

The skill wheel is fun for people who want to try out everything in a game but once you have a weapon combo you like the wheel is irrelevant. (some will say that you need to be able to fill out other roles in dungeons, etc, but not everyone wants to switch roles and shift gameplay style.)

Too much lateral gameplay to fill out the wheel with too little forward progression, characters felt very boring by the time we got to Transylvania. After we got level 10 gear it didn't feel like we were gaining anything and the gameplay was not engaging enough to make us want to continue.

Very little social interaction, very elitest upper tier players (something that is all too common now).  

Played Fallen Earth until very recently, played because it was sci-fi instead of fantasy..

SKyforge, bought it to try it out.

Played many MMOs in the past but only this currently.  

I had high hopes for TSW, the end result just wasn't engaging enough to make us want to stay.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Yes, I liked the idea of secret societies.

Yes,

I recently stated playing it again to checkout the updates.

I'm starting to remember why I stopped playing this game.  Mobs are over crowded ion a lot of areas making it very time consuming just to get from one quest to another at times.  Combat needs to be more fluid.  Skill tree is a big time sink, everyone that doesn't do heavy research before picking their skills end up having to return to the starter areas to rebuild their skillsets, yes you end up with all the skills anyway but starting off with skills that have no synergy means backtracking which means regrinding.  Need respecs.

GW2, can just jump in and play.  Fluid combat.  Easy to pick quests or events to meet the amount of time you want to play. Focus on fun, solo or grouping very easy.

Marvel Heroes, love the combat, lots of good drops, fun to play.

SWTOR, love combat, love the personal story, love player housing.

ESO, checking out the updates.

I like TSW and hope it changes for the better.  This game would be a lot better if it had more quests with your personal story (from starter to max level) and a respec system.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    MikeB said:

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

yES: The game has a story and depth in character development that no other RPG comes close too, it also has a great community and its continually updated with pretty great patches/expansions. I'v played the game since launch and I still play. It's just that good.

If it's missing anything its more and better pvp maps.

Immersion into the dream world, at best it feels like I'm jacking into my own subconscious matrix, at worst its a battle vs the UI.

• CeryshenCeryshen Member UncommonPosts: 73

No .. From what I read about it, it was very scripted with a bunch of cur scenes. I don't like a lot of cut scenes in games.

No.

N/A

I don't own the game.

WoW .. I just like to log in and play in BG's or ashran. Occasionally I play WAR .. for the rvr

I don't usually post here, but I saw this thread in the recent posts section.
  • jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

Yes, because it featured Templars and Illuminati and seemed like it was going to be really deep.

No

It didn't deliver on the social experience that it promised prior to release.  I thought it was going to be an intrigue filled Realm vs Realm / Spy vs Spy kind of game and instead I got a game that made me think about dying too much and didn't deliver much on the idea of being a Templar, Illuminati agent, or a Dragon at all.  Plus I often felt like I needed a shower after doing some of the quests in the game.  You know, like the actual game was one that was being psychologically played on me.  This only served to make the things that I did like about the game more annoying.

FFXIV because I've never played it, all of the content is new and entertaining so far, and I haven't found it's major flaw yet.

I don't post here very often because I am not playing currently playing this game.

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
      Yes still playing because I like that it's different from other games I play.

Struggling to stay motivated with all the bugs and annoyances. Tried to open some Caches yesterday during peak hours with a whopping 1,600 people signed in through steam plus the standard client. I guess that was a bad choice since my entire stack of caches disappeared into the void, without getting to open them. lol 

They also double charged me for an aurum purchase.
This discussion has been closed.