Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

Comments

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:   Yes, but, only because I follow new/upcoming releases on this site and I was between MMOs.

Do you currently play this game?:  Yes, I do.

If yes, please explain why:   1) No levels; 2) no classes, you just pick up a couple of weapons and go; 3)  It has a variety of different quest/mission types, including investigation missions you solve using your functional in-game web browser; 4) most importantly, IT IS FUN

If no, please explain why:

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  I am only playing TSW.   The last MMO I played full-time was LotRO, but after ISengard, I went into an MMO malaise.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?   Nothing COMPELS m,e to do anything.  I actually posted here because I saw that this topic existed on the site's homepage.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  yes The subject matter sounded very intersesting.

Do you currently play this game?: yes

If yes, please explain why: I find the game entertaining. I like the character progression and the mature oriented content. The game difficulty is about right for me.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: TSW and Vanguard. The sense of adventure and a pve challenge.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  When I would like to add to the conversation ( a lot of the conversations just aint worth adding to)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Do you currently play this game?:

No I do not.

If yes, please explain why:
    N/A

Played in the first BWE, and it just didn't grab me in any way. The combat felt lackluster, I don't care for builders/finishers, it just seems blah to me. I also didn't like the character animations, the jumping stood out the most. The deck system looks cool but it's still trinity, and it's not that I don't like trinity, it's just right now we aren't getting along, it takes time, a small break from it, but for right now, we need our space. 

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

Current MMO's for me is: DAoC -- Huge PvP fights, and it's my first love (I know it's trinity based). That is my only MMO at this time. I'm currently playing Ghost Recon Future Soldier while waiting for GW2, just killin time.
    Tried SW:TOR again, can't do it, same reasons as before. Warhammer i'll kick on a couple times with the endless trial.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? 
    Well I don't really post too often, but honestly I just hover over threads and read what most people are putting input on. I posted here cause, well what the heck, it's lunch break and i'm using it up.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Yes, because of Ragnar and because the modern day / Lovecraftian vibe appealed to me. 

Nope

I honestly don't know, loved it during testing, maybe overplayed it then. When it came out, I just didn't seem to want to log in that often after the first couple of weeks. Didn't sub. Not anti the game at all.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

I'm still playing SWTOR, believe it or not. I'm alternating between levelling alts and running ops on my main. I want to see how all the storylines play out. Plus, I'm still having fun (must be a total weirdo, I know) otherwise I'd have quit long ago. I was a total KOTOR freak, and the temptation of a HK companion will keep me going for another while. 

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I don't post here really anymore - this thread just showed up on Recent Forum Posts and looked interesting. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:Mildly

Do you currently play this game?:nope

If no, please explain why:Played the trial and lasted 20 minutes,the game is pretty boring and too much hand holding.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:Wiz 101 for the kids and friends kids.If not for kids i would not play it.I actually still have an active EQ2 sub ,however i quit that game because of too much cash shop push.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?
    You do realize that probably MOST people discuss threads on the main page under CURRENT activity,we don't snoop around sub forums.

This is suppose to be a game discussion site not a FANSITE,so i would expect most people like to discuss all gaming in general without a care for any particular sub forum.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

If you are going to participate, please remember to answer all questions.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I was at first, but then the cash shop part was announced and that killed my initial interest. After the game launched, I picked it up on a whim due to the positive reaction it seemed to be receiving and I've been playing since then.

Yes.

I love the setting and faction setup. Despite some quirks I think the skill wheel system they have in place is a really nifty setup. The missions are engaging and well written, and the investigation missions are one of the most enjoyable features I've ever encountered in a MMORPG.

Besides TSW, I'm also currently playing Ryzom and Wakfu. Ryzom is a forgotten gem of virtual world design that has a huge number of unique features from a pre-WoW era. Also, the Zorai are full of win. Wakfu has more charm than any MMORPG I've ever played. It's adorable, whimsy, has a number of interesting classes that are augmented by the unique turn based battle system, and the four-nation political and ecological systems are lots of fun to play with.

I generally don't check subforums frequently, usually only posting when I see an interesting thread title scroll through on the main MMORPG.com page.

<3

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

No, not really.  The concept didn't initially grab me and I didn't do much to research the system or concept until the game was released.

Yes.

I love the setting, the storyline, the missions and the cutscenes.  All are very interesting and engaging to me.  I have also grown to like the combat system and the freedom and variety of play style it offers.

Just TSW, though I'll be playing GW2 on release.

I enjoy and support the game and want others to have a realistic perspective on TSW.  I also enjoy sharing experiences and perspectives with other TSW players that support the game. 

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, mordern day MMO with skill customization.

Do you currently play this game?No!

If no, please explain why: End of Story and MIssions. Another MMO without enough content at launch. Best game in 10yrs however.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles? None! There are no MMOs worth playing.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?Well to push the definition of a MMO on these forums since it is lost on what a MMO is suppose to be. To many games today are titled MMOs when but the definition of a MMO they are not MMOs. 

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I had light interest but stopped following the development and P.R. when i found out "Mechwarrior Online" is in development.
    Tried TSW out bcs of boredom and was pleasantly surprised about the game and started to play it frequently and subbed.
    I like the setting, the story, the different approach to level and skills, the look, the pace.

No.

Got into the beta of a game i have much more interest in.

1) Beta MMO - big fan of its setting and gameplay so totally different from levelbased tab combat big progression gap MMOrpgs.
    2) WoW - group of friends running dungeons starting to get bored beyond imagination.

I like the game and want to stay at least in touch with to see how it fares and once and then give an opinion about it as i do visit MMOrpg.com anyway every now and then.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Yes i was !
    No.
     -
     The combat style just wasnt my type. i could not stand to play it anymore just for the lore n envirement.
     Waiting for gw2 right now...
     I just like mmorpg.com there are some great people here.
    Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

• PantherninpoPantherninpo Member UncommonPosts: 90

Yes, I was interested in this game because I am a fan of things to do with horror and mythology. 

I currently play the game, yes.  

The game allows me to immerse myself in a modern MMO with a dark,  adult theme.  I enjoy the cut scenes and the lore, as well as the fact that I can be all things available with one character, minus faction choice.  I enjoy that so far there have been monthly content updates, even if they contain only a few new quests each time.  October should bring the new raid, as well.  I'm also a fan of the instances.  Not only do they contain interesting lore, but they do away with the need to spend an hour fighting trash mobs.  Yes, there are trash mobs to fight but they are miniscule in number compared to other games I've played.  I have to state, however, that I have taken my time with this game.  I am in Trannsylvania, the last major quest area in the game currently, but have not completed all the quests.  I keep myself playing other games in order to not burn myself out.

TSW: As stated in the general topic.

DCUO: I like to plug my Xbox controller into my PC and play the game like an action title.  I enjoy the pvp matches which are pretty in depth if you actually know how to play the game instead of only looking at what's on the surface.

SWTOR: I am a Star Wars dork.  I jump in, level a couple of levels, then go play something else for a couple weeks.  I enjoy the storylines but I am not a big fan of what I perceive to be a leveling grind.  I suppose it is a grind to me because games such as DCUO, TERA, GW2, and TSW have spoiled me toward wanting more action.

GW2: Technically, I suppose, you cannot call it current unless you count the stress tests.  I am playing GW2 because I keep hearing what a big deal it is and I want to see why.  I'm interested in the pvp, the mechanics of the game, the dynamic events.

Aion: I dabble with this game because it's free.  It seems to be the most free to play game out of the freemiums and so there's no real risk to me in jumping in a couple hours a week.  I bought the game on release and didn't like it.  Now that I don't have to sub and they cut the grind, it's not so bad.

I hardly post unless I consider it constructive.  Unfortunately, the type of pvp found in these forums does not tickle my fancy so to speak.

• vitamindyvitamindy Member Posts: 4

I honestly didn't like TSW when I first heard of it. I pre-ordered it because my boyfriend really wanted to play it, and I didn't want him to play it alone. Looking at the gameplay videos before launch, I wasn't really very impressed. 

Hell, yes!

During the closed beta for pre-orders, I tried the game and absolutely loved it. I felt embarrased for bitching about the game so much (only to the BF) when it turns out that it's one of the most engaging games I've every played. The puzzle/adventure elements of the game really drew me in. It's nice to find a game that doesn't spoonfeed me all the information I need to progress. It's a game that makes me think. The investigation missions are the best, and storytelling in this game is absolutely top notch. I can't say I've played any other game where I distinctly remember every single NPC I've ever met. 

At the moment, I'm not playing any other MMO's than The Secret World, though I've played SWTOR and WOW in the past and I love them all equally. SWTOR also had fantastic storytelling and WOW was my first real MMORPG so it will always hold a place in heart. 

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I like TSW very much, this is actually just my first post so I'm not sure how frequently I will be posting. I usually just lurk until I find a topic worth replying to. 

Error Quest - Games, Geekery and Goofiness - My webcomic/blog/TSW fansite

• minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, although I have to admit I paid more attention to the development of GW2. 

Do you currently play this game?: Yes.

If yes, please explain why: I got to try the game during beta and was simply blown away by the story, the hilarious NPCs and the investigation quests in particular. I don't remember ever having to actually think while playing an MMO, so this was a very novel experience (and also part of the reason while TSW isn't very popular with the masses, I guess). It's a thinking man's game, definitely a change from all the "kill 10 rats"-style MMOs. 

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: TSW is my main focus at the moment. 

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? It's my main MMO at the moment - even so, I post more often on the official forums than on here.  

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I plan to get it eventually, but prior FunCom experience  makes me wait 6 months after launch.

Right now I play GW2, great game.

As for why I post in this forum? I kinda like the forum.

• VenedVened Member UncommonPosts: 71

Yes

Simply, the best mmorpg/videogame i have ever played.

One and only TSW.

I'm just playn the game, no need to post it on forum ;)

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

Yes, a great deal. I was in the closed beta and following the game closely. I was very interested in the setting/lore.

No

I was very disappointed in the gameplay and execution of the genre/atmosphere. I found the combat hectic, twitchy and unsatisfying and the lore/quests boring and silly. Secret 'lore' being glowing floaties hidden in bushes and behind outhouses was just pathetic.

I am not currently playing any MMOs. I might play some more of SWToR when it goes free to play as I found it to be an amusing single-player game. I am profoundly unhappy with all the current offerings on the market and not inclined to spend money on any of them. I occasionally drop in on other F2P games for a session or two a month.

Mostly random boredom with a heavy dose of dislike of FunCom added in...I don't waste my time trolling, but I'll be amused when TSW goes to a freemium or F2P model.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Yes because I'm tired of all that fantasy rubbish we have been given over the years.

Yes.

Because it's an interesting ame and by far the best we currently have imo.

----

Have also GW2 on mu HD but haven't played it for 2 weeks and probably won't play in any time soon. It's just not worth my time imo. So I currently play only TSW.

Because I like TSW and although we have tons of trolls in this subforum as in any other there are also lots of people who are constructive and discuss differents aspects of this game.

• Bilko101Bilko101 Member Posts: 11

Yes, Very. The modern times interested me greatly.

Yes

Bought game could not get through the 30 day free

The horrible, amatuerish GUI was just to much trouble

GW2. It's mostly free

I check to see if you guys are going to use a real GUI. Like for example SWTOR or Warhammer Online. Real MMO GUI's

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, because of the setting

No

Because I saw gameplay footage with terrible looking combat, Pvp as an afterthought, and linear quest progression

GW2, because BT2 model, PvP, and because there are no sandboxes I enjoy on the market atm

First post on TSW; was on front page and I am really bored at work.

Often lurking, rarely posting

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Yes, I gave it a go through the open beta's. I was not thrilled with the game initially but I decided to take the plunge regardless of that and fell in love with it on launch day. I was interested in it because the setting and graphics seemed like something I had been yearning for in an MMO for years.

Yes, I recently returned to it after a short hiatus. I think the game has a ton of potential and I'm really hoping that they start putting out some serious content in the near future.

I currently play Guild Wars 2, Final Fantasy XIV and The Secret World. All three have different settings and different things I like about them. Guild Wars 2 has no subscription fee which is great and I love the setting. Final Fantasy XIV started out rough but I believe in Yoshida-san's vision and I'm looking forward to 2.0 and The Secret World was explained above.

I play these particular three at the moment, because I've been writing articles about them. I feel that a person writes better articles when they actively play the MMO they're writing about (I fear many writers don't actually do this).

I post when I feel there is something to post about. I don't really have a good answer for this one.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Yes I was interested.  Skill system, setting seemed interesting.

I am currently subbed, but waiting on more content.

If yes, please explain why:  Waiting on more content, but the stories/quests were very well done and had a lot of detail for the most part.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  I bought GW2, but have only played it for like 30 mins...Plan to give it another go sometime...

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?   I mostly just watch recent topics, and if I see something, I post....I visited this forum more when I was playing TSW more...I am mostly a recent post watcher..

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Yes.I'm a horror buff and liekd the proposed setting,I also thoguht it would be interesting to see how Ragnar Tournquist incorporated Adventure game elements into a MMORG.

No

Whilst I liked many things in the game I didn't like the lack of fluidity in the flow of combat animations nor the lack of weight and impact in said combat.I liked the Investigation missions but felt they weren't a large enough part of the game to warrant getting it for and I didn't liek the PvP at all.But mostly I didn't like the business model which was the final nail int he coffin,everything else I could of overlooked.

Guild Wars 2, and Raiderz.I like the World of Guild Wars 2 and exploring it,I like the classes and weapons,I like the PvP and Dungeons.I play Raiderz because of the combat system and monster designs.

I only post when I tihnk I cna answer a question or have soemtihng to contribute,I have stated my opinions of the game in a few threads where appropriate and don't feel the need to repeat them over and over.I mostly jsut read this subforum to see if things have changed enough to make em want to dip my toe into TSW's waters again.

• iozayiozay Member UncommonPosts: 29

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, I also was in the closed beta since forever ^^' And well, I love funcom games and conspiracy

Yep

Great story, multiple gameplay methods. Both casual and hardcore friendly, great community

Age of Conan, GW2

I simply love the game ^^

• Ashar1972Ashar1972 Member UncommonPosts: 24

Yes. Because it struck me as a good game, even when considering its flaws.

Yes

I have been mainly drawn to TSW because of its story-telling, which for me, is a critical part of my decission making on what makes a game worth playing for me. There have been exceptions to this (e.g. Rift - a great game with poor story telling IMO). I also enjoyed the setting, a modern day horror, mixed with conspiracy etc. I have also found the customer service to be excellent, and the content release rate also to be excellent. The fixing of bugs has been at a consistent pace, which I find makes it easier to tolerate the flaws the game launched with. I like the direction the game is heading in, and am quite satisfied if this game stabilises with a 200k-300k population.

TSW - as explained

Rift - I want to support Trion, a very rare thing for me, supporting companies. Their behaviour with Rift and its player communities should make a number of other MMO companies hang their heads in collective shame.

STO - I enjoy the Star Trek environment, and I like a game where progression through combat is not necessarily the core path to levelling.

DDO - Was a AD&D table-top player right through my youth, so I occasionally drop into this game for a bit of nostaglia.

I don't post all too often, usually only in game forums where I can offer something constructive and where I know the Devs are saying they are reading. Sometimes I post to correct outright misrepresentations about games, which is fairly prolific.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Yes, i got an Beta invite due to having a funcom account but it didn't take.

Yes.

B2P change and burnout from other MMO

EvE - Community and pvp gameplay

SWToR - Bunch of low level chars playing for the story

LotRO - LTA, playing for the story and group content, competing with my SWToR time

TSW - Story and setting, new to the game so its fresh

My posting more or less corresponds to the game im currently active in. If i play TSW i post in TSW forums, if i play EvE i post in eve forums etc. 

This discussion has been closed.