Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:
    Yes. The modern setting and the conspiracy theory theme. I also liked the idea of solving riddles rather than just fighting stuff.

Do you currently play this game?:
    No.

If no, please explain why:
    It delivered on the modern setting and the conspiracy theory theme, but I'm just not totally sold on the other aspects of the game. I'm not sure I want to spend the money for a subscription on any game, even if I like them.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:
    I am not playing any MMORPG right now, unless you count GW2 betas and the free weekend in The Secret World.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?
    Forum pvp and seeing posts from people who do not share my point of view.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

1. Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Yes. I played Ragnar Tornquists previous games (The Longest Journey specifically, but also Dreamfall afterward). At the time, I thought they were the best video games I've ever played! I've been stalking Ragnar ever since. Like 7 years ago when he gave hints about making this game, I was already on board.

2. Do you currently play this game?:

Yes. I currently play.

3. If yes, please explain why:

As said above, I've been waiting for a long time for another Ragnar game. I bought it on release day and I'm still playing. Overall, I'm satisfied and will continue to play. The story/atmosphere aspects were the strongest features in his previous games - and that still holds true in this game as well. That's why I play.

While the 500+ ability system is great, the combat itself is a little simplisitic ... and messy at the same time. I'm not a fan, personally... but it's not a huge deal. I'm not buying/playing/subbing to TSW for it's combat mechanics. (Though I agree it may be what eventually drives me away from the game.)

4. If no, please explain why:

---

5. What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

Right now, nothing. Recently cancelled my WOW sub (nothing interesting to do, other than PVP, but that got boring). I previously cancelled SWTOR as well. Same reason: nothing to do except PVP... unfortunately PVP wasn't nearly as good as in WOW.

6. What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Posting/reading the Funcom forums exposes you only to people who play Funcom games. It's nice to be exposed to a wider audience, that's why I come here. I also come here for GW2 updates, info, and discussion (GW2 is the 2nd MMORPG that I'm interested in currently).

• pl3dgepl3dge Member UncommonPosts: 183

Yes, I followed TSW for around 2 years and then a few months leading up to release when the news was really being pumped out, I couldn't wait to play.

No

I absolutely loved the game for the first 3 weeks or so, I was playing every second I had free from work/sleep and enjoyed it alot. The problem that hit me was the game went from being a very unique experience to the same old thing we experience in other MMO's. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy PvP and Dungeons and don't have much of a problem grinding them for tokens... It's just TSW started off so different from everything else I had played, The Savage Coast was really awesome, maybe even the best first experience of an MMO I have ever had, but after Transylvania the awesomeness dwindled and I lost interest. However, I do look forward to seeing what the raid turns out like when it's released.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

World of Warcaft - Just for the PvP ( Arenas more than anything )

The Lord of The Rings Online - I've always had a love for LOTRO, such a beautiful game and I'm a massive Lord of The Rings fan.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I'm normally just a reader of posts, I usually just reply if something annoys me in a post or I want to give some helpful information.

• AthisioAthisio Member Posts: 72

Yes the theme/lore is very interesting and overall i have enjoyed all of funcom's MMO's

Yes

If yes, please explain why:

The theme/setting is a refreshing break from all the elf/orc fantasy titles. Also the investigation missions are fun and finally i find the AP/ SP system better then the traditional just pick you class and go.

I play TSW for the above listed reasons. I also started playing SWTOR again a few weeks ago because i find the Story driven quests fun and also because its star wars. 

Because i like some of the intelligent feedback that gets presented and at times gets me to look at something in a different light.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

50/50. Yes because of the original setting. No because of previous experiences with Funcom.

2 days left on my sub. I won't be renewing.

The quest leveling was most probably the best I've experienced in any MMO but the end game is horrible IMO. Also too much instancing and no open world feel or PvP action.

I only play one MMO at a time. Not sure if I'll play anything until Planetside 2 comes out. Too many MMO dissapointments lately and GW2 doesn't even remotely interest me.

I post in this sub forum because I'm playing the game.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Yes. I liked the Modern World - Horror settings idea

Do you currently play this game?: NO (I played all the Betas though)

If yes, please explain why: N/A

If no, please explain why: Story driven MMO (a mistake in MMOs), heavily solo focused, way too casual.

EVE: Best Sandbox game around

Tera: Great Action Combat

I do not post too much on TSW forums, because the game is such a disappointment that it's not worth too much of my time.

I usually post more on games I really care of, even if just to criticise it (see TESO), hoping the devs will improve it.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by MikeB

Yes. Mostly interested in how the skill system worked.

No

Tried the beta and didn't like the combat as I suspected from the videos. There were many things that I discovered that I did like (open maps, explore to do missions, puzzle missions, missions are repeatable, etc..) but it didn't outweight the bad. I'm looking for a MMO with a more specific feature list that TSW doesn't have.

None currently. SWTOR was the last.

I don't post here often but I do enjoy reading others' thoughts on the game.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I had a little interest, but the announcement of P2W payment model killed what little I had.  

No.  Developed by failcom is already a huge strike against TSW, and the cashop just seals the deal.

I am currently just playind Diablo 3 casually.

I don't have much interest for the game so I normally don't post anything.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

> Yes. I am into the theme/themes that the game is based on.

> yes, first game I bought a lifetime sub for.

> The theme and the many stories. The character development of the quest givers makes me want to listen to everything they have to say. They all have their own persona.

> The skill wheel, the ability to change out and adapt my skills to overcome the obstacle in front of me. The investigation missions that make you think and feel good when you figure them out. First MMO where learning about something was a byproduct of enjoying the game.

>TSW is the only one I play.

> Lately I have been avoiding the forums and site due to all the trolling, nitpicking, argueing over semantics that goes on. I feel alot of the time its a contest on who can argue the best. Most times what the argueing is about is just trivial and pathetic. I'm guilty of this and will troll with the best of them to force the mods to close a thread to try to keep the forum current with decent threads.

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

Yes, since 2009.  The features listed on the darkdaysarecoming.com website sounded amazing and I loved the atmosphere and secret socities.

Do you currently play this game?:  Yes

I truly believe it's the best MMO out at the moment.  I love the story, setting, the graphics are amazing, and I enjoy the freedom in the skill and clothing systems.

Just The Secret World :)

To see news there is about the game, what people think about it, and give my own opinions.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

If yes, please explain why: Yes, I love the setting and the freedom given in customization of the character, a strong story as backbone but the story not being the content

-The Secret World : see above
    -World of Warcraft : have alot of friends playing it and am in a very social guild, even though Im pretty fun'd out on the game it self, these friends make it worth staying.
    -Global Agenda : still fun to blow off some steam and.. no elves

Im always interested in oppinions and experiances  of others, sometimes I share mine.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

If you are going to participate, please remember to answer all questions.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223

No I don't play TSW.

Bad graphics, combat, animations, and failcom. I was actually quite ready to play this game until I got into the beta and played it for a bit, afterwards I uninstalled it before the beta closed and haven't looked back at it.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Not particularly.  Reading pre-release, it seemed a self-limiting idea for the long term. Too narrow.

No

If no, please explain why

See above.

None.  Ask me again in a few weeks.

I rarely do. Blame the Cloud, when it happens.

I seem to be repeating the same answers a lot in this experiment.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Slightly.  The main draw is that it seems to do some things differently from most of the genre.  And I usually look into high profile, heavily hyped game launches, even though I usually don't end up playing the game at all.

Do you currently play this game?:  no

If no, please explain why:  I don't play games soon after launch, just on general principle.  There's an off chance that I'll pick up the game sometime.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Uncharted Waters Online, because I like the adventuring system and no other game ever made has anything remotely like it.  Champions Online, because I like the combat and I'm waiting for Uncharted Waters Online to increase the level cap, which will fix a number of things.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I don't post in this forum much.  I saw a link to it on the main page in the section for recent forum posts, and thought it sounded like an opportunity to mess with the experiment.  You've got an interesting paradox here where the act of measuring forum activity in itself changes the forum activity from what it would otherwise be.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

(makes a point of not reading any other responses before answering)

-~- Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Yes, I wanted to see where they were going to take the secret societies.

-~- Do you currently play this game?:

Yes

-~- If yes, please explain why:

There are times when I want to play a single player MMO and just go along for the ride, to be entertained the way I am when reading a good book. This is the sort of game that allows that to happen. Its strange, I dont enjoy single player games anymore, but soloing through an entertaining MMO feels right.

-~- If no, please explain why:

-~- What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

TSW and Lotro - I have real life family and friends that play Lotro and I enjoy doing things with them. I know this is a contradiction of my previous point but sometimes I want to do things alone, and sometimes I want to group with people. The ingame party chat in Lotro is the key.

-~- What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

When I dont have the time to engage myself in playing, I like to have a quick read of this site and if I feel I have something worth contributing than I will. I only noticed this thread because it happened to be on the front page at the time.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Yes i was.  Because it's made by funcom and has a very cool setting.

Yes

Because it's fun.  Has a great story and world.

EQ2 - great endgame.

TSW - amazing story and world immersion, made by Funcom.

LoTRO - great story and world immersion

ALways interesting to talk about major released MMOs in general.  Also interesting to discuss TSW with other players.  Finally, since I am playing the game, i'm able to offer first-hand opinions to those that are interested but aren't playing.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

Sort of.  I like Lovecraft and horror stories and the general mythology of the game.

Yes

The atmosphere and puzzles.

Tera for world and combat pvp

Aion for world and combat pvp

Vanguard for exploration and Final Fantasy 14 as there is something whacky about that game that compels me.

I like talking about games that I have an interest in or have tried or I'm currently playing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Yes, it catched my interest a few years ago. Now I dont really remember why, it could be as simply as this would be a new MMO or it was the settings. One thing that remember is a campaign, or competition, where Funcom made a clue or something that we soul descipher to get a webadress. I'm can't remember it precisely, but something in the line of that.

Yes

The story and quest are great. It's at the moment the most fun time I have among the games I have.

EVE Online, the unique setting for player interaction in all its shape and form. A refreshing developer behind EVE Online.  A great setting... and it's about spaceships.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

It's a game that have an interest in.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Not really. Few gameplay videos didnt impress me much and I didnt know what to expect from the game.

Hell yeah. 

The game was a huge surprise for me both in fun and quality. World, quests and characters are above everything in MMORPG genre. Really like digging into the lore, discovering new things and following story. PvP is meh, but I hope Funcom improves it in future.

Only TSW. I'll buy GW2 when it comes out just for battlegrounds PvP (was bored with any kind of PvE there)

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Im not posting much here. But come once in a while to read interesting topics.

• Spartan212Spartan212 Member Posts: 55

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Yes.  It seemed like a new take on MMOs.  I loved the story and setting

Do you currently play this game?:  No

If no, please explain why:  Too expensive.  If it was B2P I would be all over it.  I can't justify playing a new game with a Box, sub, and cash shop.  Also, from what I've seen, it's very buggy and somewhat low on content.  Will probably revisit in a few months if the sub price is eliminated and more content is added

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  None at the moment.  Will be playing Guild Wars 2.  I like the B2P model and the gameplay

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I don't post very often, but I do check the forum to get game updates from the players

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Yes.  I love the art style and the setting and the idea of a deep combat system.

No.

After 2 weeks the game lost all of it's hold on me.  The sense of discovery and wonder was gone once I got to the final zone.  The story isn't really immersive to me even though the world can be in the beginning areas.  The combat system is extremely  annoying when fighting mobs and takes far too long making combat a chore and not fun.  The skill system is the ONLY aspect of the game with any depth and even that is not as deep as I thought it would be.  The game feels very small and penned in.  Not worth a monthly fee in any shape or form.  I feel the same way about this game offering a subscription as I did when DDO launched and did the same thing.  We all know what happened there, so I see this game going F2P soon, as it deserves.

Hopping around between Lotro, Rift and Vanguard until GW2 comes out.  Played that game and haven't been let down over 20+ hours of play and the games has me in withdrawal symptoms.  Something TSW never gave me.

I don't really post here much, now that my initial honemoon of the game is over and my first week of disappointment is behind me.  The game just doesn't matter to me much anymore, although I do check in from time to time to see how it's growing, something I love about this genre.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481
    Yes, because I like Funcom, I think they're developers who try a bit harder than most to provide something original, I tend to follow what they do, so I followed TSW on and off for the past few years.

Yes, I'm currently playing the game.  Started on first day of Live and still playing.

Because I'm enjoying the hell out of it still.

On and off I play: EVE Online because it's got a lot of depth, Champions Online because I love coming up with superhero concepts and realizing them, and EQ2 because it's got a lot of depth.  I am also looking forward to playing Vanguard when it goes f2p.  I've subscribed several times to Vanguard but recently stopped due to low pop, but if the pop picks up I'll be back in there like a shot, as it's probably the best PvE MMORPG out there.

I don't post frequently here, I've only made a few posts.  On those occasions (like this one) when I've posted, it's to support the game and show my enthusiasm for it.

• KarazulKarazul Member CommonPosts: 39

No, I wasnt interested, just curious. I played WoW before and was waiting the launch of GW2.

Do you currently play this game?: If yes, please explain why: If no, please explain why:

Yes, because I liked the story line, quests, evolution concept of the game, graphics. After sometime playing it I can say that its the best MMO so far, in my humble opinion (the score here agrees with me). And I played a lot of them (including WoW, Everquest, SWTOR, UO, etc).

Now Im just playing TSW. I canceled all other subscriptions, including WoW after trying out MoP Beta (the game will still be the same with some pokemon like game... and I am tired of the game that WoW became... easy mode and no brainer). I still play GW when I have time, though.

I always visited mmorpg.com just to read the news and this week I decided to take part in the community, to exchange ideas and make friends in the game I am playing.

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

not really.  followed it just through your site and thought it was interesting but probably was not gonna play it at the time.  didnt start seriously following it till beta weekend 2 when I was bored with my other game so i spent 5 bucks at gamestop to get into the beta weekend.

yes

mainly for the setting.  its pretty much the only horror themed game.  the quests are alot of fun and actually make you think a bit instead of just go kill ten rats (plenty of those types of quests also but the investigation missions are a pure joy to me).  I really like the dungeons with little trash, lets you get in and get to the meat of the dungeon with having to chew through all the gristle first.  The ultimate reason though is the skill system.  I can sit all day and play around with the skill wheel coming up with new interesting builds to try out.  i dont feel locked into one type of character like I do with other games where you pick a class and that is all you can be for the entire life of the game.

currently just playing tsw and I listed the reasons above.

I like the game and I normally try to honestly refute people slamming this game with halftruths and outright lies.  I dont really like seeing any negative stuff about games but when it is not true I really want to let people know about the lies and halftruths.  tsw has some issues, every game does, and that is fine if people want to list those issues, but at least keep it honest.

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96
     No.  I didn't know anything about the game until near a month from release.  When I did learn about it, it was mostly from opinions of BETA testers that had enjoyed the game and posted opinions on these forums.
    No, I do not.
     N/A
     I was initially excited for the first 2 weeks and enoyed it immensly.  After making some poor choices with the skill wheel I quickly found the game overly difficult.  I re-ran some old content, but the length of time to correct my incorrect spec's quickly turned into yet another quest grind fest.  The game then lost its luster and I left.
     Aion. I am only level 10 in this game and I find it a nice and inexpensive distraction while waiting for Guild Wars 2.
     The main page recent forum post garner about 80% of my entire attention on this site.  That little box on the left that changes every 5 seconds is about the only reason I frequent MMORPG.com.  Well that and MMOFTW on Mondays.

This discussion has been closed.