Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Do you currently play this game?:

If yes, please explain why:

If no, please explain why:

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

If you are going to participate, please remember to answer all questions.

Comments

• taramirtaramir Member UncommonPosts: 74

Yes because the setting was different.

Do you currently play this game?: No.

If no, please explain why: Unique setting and I liked the classless setting but I dont give a crap about story in my MMO and the combat is too repetitive.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Currently playing Tera and Im playing it because I was so bored and just picked a random game that I own and subbed to it.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:   Yes, this was my second most anticipated title. I watched it from it's first announcement.

Do you currently play this game?:  No

If no, please explain why:  With GW2 so close, and the constant cash upkeep of a subscription that I don't have to pay with other titles, I chose against it. I also played in the beta and the character customization completely killed any interest I have left.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Aion

Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I try and abstain, but I have been known to share my 2 cents which I bet alot of people would prefer I keep to myself.

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I was initially interested in TSW when it was first announced but I quit following it after hearing that there would be no open world PvP or PvP servers.

Yes.

The storyline and questing systems are some of the best I've seen in any MMO. I'm sick of class/level based games that place artificial barriers on your enjoyment so the skill based system in TSW is perfect for me.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

I play TSW casually with a couple of friends when we need a break from PvPing in EVE. I play EVE for my PvP fix and the awesome community and TSW when I want some PvE.

Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I very rarely visit this subforum because it is very rarely on the front page. I watch the "Current Forum Activity" section for interesting subjects and since TSW doesn't get over-hyped like GW2 or flamed like WoW, it doesn't seem to get as much front page time.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

Hey guys,

Yes because it looked like it was going to offer something original

Yes

I was happy to pre order but mainly saw it as a stop gap until GW2 realeases. I have just finished the first month and I'm subbing for a second month but will probably cancel then and will switch to GW2.

No others atm

Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

The first thing I do when I open up mmorpg.com is to look at the latest post section. If something there relates to a game I have some interest in, I'll check it out. I'm not a prolific poster and can't be bothered to get into arguments. If I have a viewpoint on something I'll generally make one post on the subject and leave it at that.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Yes, I was interested as soon as found out what its "lore" base was.

Yes.

I am enjoying myself immensely and slowly digesting content while becoming immersed in this "world". For me this immersion is a key feature to any virtuality.

Own and plan to play GW2.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I believe it is a game with much greater potential than any on the market and dont want to see it maligned unfairly.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

No, the setting does not appeal to me. I am very skeptical of Funcom. I still think its MMO that would provide roughly 60 days of fun for me. When I play MMO's that is not what I am looking for.

No

N/A

I think there is enough content for roughly 60 days of play, I want an MMO to grab me and pull me in like the MMO's of old. I will never again support a 60-90 dayer MMO model.

Not playing one atm, waiting for Archeage because I think it has some lasting appeal to it (still far to early to tell)

this one is an easy question for me I mostly I post in a game forum which I have no intrest in when i see an over zealous "fanboy" post. Overly bias "fanboy" post will get me posting everytime I see one. I do not bother replying to a humble fans post. I am happy for those guys. But words like "wow killer" "greatest game ever" and other garbage along those lines, gets me going, And I will match the persons tone and attitude. If hes "fanboy" post is insulting to others, ill post in an insulting manner back. Its got me plenty of warning, and I dont think thats fair, because most of the time like I said I match the tone and attitude of the person I am replying to.

If you guys would get rid of that recent thread posts on the front of your site I think that would go a long way in keeping "troll" and "haters" out of game forums, atleast it would stop me from going in and replying. Because when I see a flame bait title pop up im there in a heart beat. w/o that i would never go to another forum other than AA. Atleast until I see a bogus news title from one of the mmorpg.com staff like a game review **cough tsw review** in the news section...............

I am just being honest, so I hope this helps your experiment.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Yes. The setting looked very interesting.

No.

Played in the beta and knew that it would be a great game to pick up and go through the story once. If it didn't have a subscription I would have bought it.

No MMOs right now.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I still have hope that the game will drop its subscription soon and I still have interest in playing it.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Yes. I was so tired of ther simple streamlined model of Cata and Swtor

Yes

Depth of systems, freedom of character development, and challenge

TSW see above

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

To inform, I've followed the game for a long time so I try to clear up misconceptions.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MisthawkMisthawk Member UncommonPosts: 63

Yes,  I liked the idea of a modern-day themed MMO, but with a twist of darkness and conspiracy.

No.  I played for 2 BWEs, and for a week or 2 after the initial launch.  However, the overload of bugs, the memory leaks, and their solution to the leak, being: get more ram, turned me off from resubbing, and any future thought of playing this game in the future.

Currently playing Rift.  The thought that there is several opportunities for open grouping, tends to make the game more enjoyable for me, and makes me want to interact with other players, unlike some MMOs which cater to soloing.

Everyone, for the most part, either negative, or, positive, always has something worth reading (most anyway), if it's from pointless bantering to constructive criticism, I enjoy reading, and replying when I can. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    No, because I've had past bad experiences w Funcom mmos

No, but i like what I read about it

EQ2, because its fun themepark for me

I dont post in the TSW forums, but I do read peoples opinions / experiences

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  I was not interested until getting the chance to try it during the third open beta weekend event.  After trying the game I was sold on it.

Do you currently play this game?:  No.

If no, please explain why:  The crafting system is underwhelming.  The found gear, dungeon drops, and mission rewards make the crafting system only function as a means of breaking down unwanted equipment into base materials- and these materials just stack up with no use other than making a couple reusable gadgets.

The PvE missions were enjoyable to figure out the first run-through, and the NPC characters well-developed with memorable voice monologues.  After reaching the end of the current main story and running out of fresh mission content, the game lost its appeal to me.  The repeatable content is effectively limited to three zones at end-game on a three day cycle.

The persistent PvP design is lacking incentive for defense, resulting in a three-way objective trade-off and conflict avoidance.  It was fun during the beta weekend when no one had a clue what they were doing and were constantly fighting all over the map.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Awaiting GW2, because I enjoy the PvE, PvP, and crafting.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I frequent this subforum to share my in-game experiences and combat the spread of misinformation.

• HybridvampyrHybridvampyr Member Posts: 61

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes the setting was different and appeals to what i like.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes

If yes, please explain why: The Investigation quests are an awesome feature and the setting has me wanting to see more.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: TSW and Guild Wars 2 Betas before release when i will play this as my main MMO as it ticks all my boxes.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I like to hear the views of other players and its a good way of getting nice hints about gameplay.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Yes - I am not a fan of the way most big MMORPGs handle class design and I read they were doing a more free-form skill based system.  I do not like linear gameplay and a game without levels is very intriguing!  At the turn of the 2012 this was the top of my personal radar.

No

N/A

When i finally played for a couple of days i found the female character models generally ugly.  Character model aesthetics are extremely important to me (on release they improved, but still only from maybe a 3/10 to a 5/10 on my personal tastes scale).  The combat itself felt slow and a little unresponsive.  The different builds of characters did not feel very unique from one another as they all seemed to work with the same combo builder and finisher mechanic -- this led to combat being a little repetitive for every spec i tried.  All other aspects of the game seemed wonderful, but as mostly a fashion obsessed PVP player i couldn't justify spending the money if i don't personally appreciate the aesthetics and combat.

Age of Conan - simply because i don't see anything being offered right now that i feel is worth spending money on.  i am very casually playing AOC because it is free and i like the graphics and gameplay somewhat.

I post in topics that are active that interest me.  I do not often search out posts in any particular sub-forum. 

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes. I liked the setting

Do you currently play this game?: No

If no, please explain why: Sub fee + Cash Shop

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: EvE because it's fun to pass the time in.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? The game lost my interest so I don't post about it much.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Yes, TSW had a unique story and impressive feature list.

No.

I held off waiting for video reviews and testimonials because I played Anarchy Online on launch and had reservations... and what I found didn't impress me.

GW2 (in beta).

I try not to post in the TSW forum because I can't offer an informed opinion on the game based on actual game play, only my personal opinion derived from various sources which I don't value so much that I feel the need to spew it everywhere.

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67

Hey guys,

I was very intrigued by TSW before its release, it seemed to offer something new, this was driven largely by the very enthusiastic reports by MMORPG.

Not any more, I uninstalled after buying the game approximately two weeks after purchase. With 8 days valid play time left I recieved an email from Funcom informing me of cancellation.

• Bugs - Right off the bat bugs rear their ugly head, be it many broken quests or more unforgivingly broken chat middleware. How can you have an MMO with broken chat?
    • Combat - Firstly combat is reduced to button bashing the limited options of a potential 7 items, mostly you will use 2 to maybe 4, and even though you progress it is amazing how you will not add much beyond the initial offerings as they seem to serve just as good as later unlocked skills. Secondly, with the brutal animation you seem disconneced to the actual action. I actually started to switch off during fights to look elsewhere since it didn't seem to really matter.
    • Quests - This seems to be a bone of contention for lovers of TSW, but for me it was nothing new. Just rebadged same old stuff. Even WoW can claim quest chains of greater depth than TSW. Add in not being able to drop stuff without picking new quests. Use of phone means no quest hubs? So why having to run back to drop stuff into boxes etc? It's still breadcrumbing. And having the odd quest splattered in random areas is far from novel.
    • Sound/Atmosphere - This gets massive kudos from fans but I cannot see why. For a horror based MMO it didn't send any chills up my spine. Solomon Island for example is being ravaged by a supernatural storm you can see twisters everywhere, but there is no wind, nevermind a roaring hurricane. No debris flying randomly. No broken twigs in the woods depite there being hordes of beasties and zombies out there. Did anyone take notes whilst ripping off the horror genre?
    • Visuals/Graphics - Where to begin? They are not actually much better than Half-Life 2 (from 8 years ago) but seem to demand the best of gear to be able to see them at their fullest. All those corpses and no rats? Did anyone do any research? Forget rats where are the other critters, where are insects which should be having a feast on this carnage? I want lapping water, wandering npc's, body parts flying (it's a mature game after all), debris flying from the raging storm, strange mists, lots of bood splatter (and the sound FX to go with it), moving slimes and skittering creepyness to scare the living Hendry out of me. Um nope, I have Scooby Doo zombies with their arms outstretched running around or lurching. Seems you cannot have a decent zombie without a classic lurch these days.
    • Crafting - I like and really look forward to crafting in MMOs. For a premier title this was the shallowest effort I've seen in a long, long time. Take Runecrafting from Rift and apply it to weapons and enhancements in TSW.
    • Lore - Umm, erm, what lore? It's all borrowed from everywhere else. Not a single original idea in the game. It was of little surpise to read recently they have 7 years of content ahead, easy when all you have to do is read or view what everyone else has already done. Hey Doris cancel my 11am at the Overlook Motel, I'm stopping at the Bates Emporium to view the Holy Spear, it seems the wool has been pulled over my eyes by some guy with 5 mysterious balls or is it batteries, maybe I should take a pill? Give my best to the guys assessing the returned pilots from 1942.
    • Generally - You have to swallow a chunk to accept TSW, and the community is pretty harsh at a very early stage. It's like Gearscore madness on steroids out there.

I like many sorts of MMO, with TSW I'd hoped based on MMORPGs info in particular that it would be a breath of fresh air in the genre that needs fresh input.

I'd paid cash for a good gaming experience as previewed by MMORPG and the game didn't deliver on any level. I am annoyed that the game is defended by people who cannot seem to accept that not everyone has had the same positive experience they seem to have had. It seems in their eyes you didn't understand, or were unskilled somehow (despite being a pretty hardcore gamer since the 70's in genres which most current gamers/reviewers didn't even play and have no experience in knowing whether someing is genuinly innovative or derivative as regard computer based gaming).
    Therefore I feel there is a need to balance the fans viewpoint with something a little more grounded even if it has a negative stance.

Edited for punctuation - I know it's still imperfect, but hey ho :)

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Yes. I am a huge fan of Poe, Lovecraft and King, as well as loving the setting for the game.

No.

I played beta and was very surprised at how many things were not to my liking for a game that claimed so much ambiance. Things such as lack of fall damage, lack of (or extremely rare) weather system, most buildings being sealed decor and not open to wander or explore, etc... I am not a big fan of heavy story in mmorpgs and the cutscenes were very boring and predictable for me. The quests, which so many claimed to be challenging, were decent but very single player-ish and never really felt challenging to me. I liked the skill system but that it. The ambiance was the biggest downer for me. It's far better in screenshots (even my own) than in action, imo. I did buy the title because friends of mine insisted that we could have a good time and make it work somehow, but I only lasted 2 weeks post launch. Most of my friends have moved on as well, a few stay behind and seem to really enjoy the game.

AC1, UO & Rift. I like old school mmos, I like a community that wants t ointeract with each other and be interdependent. I'm not a big themepark fan but Rift is/was the exception for me, until very lately. When I realized that I just was not going to be able to continue past Blue Mountain in TSW, I took a look at GW2 for the first time in many years and was very surprised at what it had turned into. I was lucky enough to score a BWE3 code and got to play last weekend and was blown away and fell completely for the game. I have since canceled all 3 mmorpgs I was playing and will play GW2 exclusively for a while. The game connected with me in a way that it seems TSW has connected with some others here. Variety is the essence, to each their own :)

The only time I post in TSW forums is when something like this topic ends up on the front page.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Playing since headstart and will be play in forseeable future. Bought LTS when I reached Egypt and knew that TSW doesn't have Tortage thing in it :) TSW has an excellent atmosphere and classless skill system and I'm sure I cannot play any high fantasy MMO anymore. I'm just tired of tights, capes and wands. 
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

Was somewhat interested until I had seen some gameplay dungeon videos.  But decided not to play after experiencing beta.

No

Gameplay was overly difficult unless you figured out the perfect builds.  Knew end game would involve difficuilt dungeons to grind tokens.  Not my style of game.

LotRO - Big open world (with room to go afk), lots of community-oriented features, many different activities to do.  Prefer more peaceful surroundings.  The attention to detail in the structures and overland continues to amaze me.  Had been playing EQ2 for many years prior.

First time posting in this subforum.  As I didn't enjoy the game, I felt I had nothing useful to add and would have probably been told to learn to play, among other things, if I did. :)

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

Hey guys,

no. not my cup of tea. killing monsters in contemporary settings is not really interesting. now, being monsters...

no

-

as i said, not my cup of tea. also, box+sub is asking too much.

EVE. i like the setting. tho, i'm mostly "playing" their forums these days :)

if i have something to say, i say it. that being said, i don't really post frequently in this particular subforum.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

No,I am not interested in AAA titles at all,I am not in thier demographics.

Do you currently play this game?:No

If no, please explain why:  I won't pay any money for games that are made for the masses.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: None,Keeping an eye on The Repopulation & Archeage

I come here to check on games and what people say about them and occasionally disagree with fanboys who jump from AAA title - AAA title claiming that each and every one is the new great shiny thing to rule MMO's but in fact are just feeding the continuation of AAA mediocrity.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

Not so much, because it was made by Funcom, and I had a bad taste in my mouth from AOC.

Yes, since July 7th.

Decided to give it a try mostly out of curiousity and boredom.  Also, my guild had a branch there so that was also a reason. Besides, I heard there were zombies to kill in the game, and I love killing zombies. image

TSW is the only MMO I'm currently playing, however GW2 is next on the horizon and will compete for time with TSW.

I'm a troll  image

OK, being serious now, I play the game, so I have an interest in the discussions about the game, and since I am currently participating I like to share my views and sometimes set the record straight when I see people who don't have the same perception of the game as I do.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

When it was first announced yes, because of the setting, but down the development road I ended up losing interest completely (because it's Funcom, because after SWTOR I was'nt too sure I wanted more stories in my MMO, and probably also because I got too hyped on GW2... ).

Yes

I ended up trying the last beta weekend. The 1st 15-20min I was thinking : "WTF is this sh... ??!" , then I ended up in Kingsmouth doing my first quest and investigation missions,etc. and I was totally absorbed in it.

N/A

Only TSW for now, but come GW2, they will both have to live together in some way... I think it will be ok. I play TSW mainly for the mood and the story and puzzle, so when I'm tired of that and just need plain "fun" (has ANET copyright that word by now?! ) I will hop on GW2.

I'm more of an observer... been lurking on this site since.. I don't know when.

I rarely get engaged in the forums war.  While it can be fun to read now and then, it ends up pretty much always the same.. Either someone post his opinion on a subject and gets agroed by fanboys or haters, or some troll posts something just to get a reaction from fanboys or haters... 

Hence why I usually seek posts that are not too open for wars (like graphic tweak guides, technical help, theorycrafting, etc.).

This discussion has been closed.