Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

BBC - Star Wars: The Old Republic video game players slump

chryseschryses LondonPosts: 1,453Member Uncommon

Apologies if this has already been posted. I find the content interesting and even more curious that there is an article on one of the worlds most reputable news sites bbc.co.uk on player slumps in SWTOR.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19077238

This extract just makes me shake my head in disbelief on 2 points.

1 - They always expected to go FTP or a mix model from the outset.  That suggests to me that they didn't think the game could suceed with just subs.  If the game is good enough why even discuss FTP?

2 - Quoting the below, 'that the problem was not the title's gameplay, but rather convincing the public to keep paying for it.'

Ok, I don't like to rant for no reason but seriously WTF? The problem is not the gameplay but trying to convince the public to keep paying for it?  I don't know MR editor-in-chief...but last time I checked people are always happy to pay for a good product. So basically you have a product that no one wants to pay for but some might keep playing if it was free?....even a 5 year old can work out what that means...

Quote from article....

"Given the MMORPG landscape in recent years, where pure subscription is becoming a rarity, EA will have been planning to introduce this since before launch, but the drop in subscribers makes it a timely announcement," said Steve Bailey, senior analyst at IHS Games Digest.

"It's not necessarily a portent of doom. The title's ongoing performance is now down to EA's ability to engage users with content refreshes, and other aspects of the service."

Michael French, editor-in-chief of the games industry trade news site MCV agreed that the problem was not the title's gameplay, but rather convincing the public to keep paying for it.