Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When Will FF14 going F2P !!! ^_^

Everquest, D&D, LOTR.... are  F2P

even Star wars the old republic will be F2P in Fall,

so title say it all. they might even sell the crystal soon ^_^

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Not anytime soon.. It will have a sub this winter when it is relaunched.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

FF is probably an interesting case because this is probably still "popular" in japan. It might come with update 2.0 though. I bet most p2p mmos out right now will go f2p very soon.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

LOL so they go from b2p to p2p then f2p? I've never heard of this model before. My mind is blown.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

F2P transitions notoriously blow. In fact, FFXIV is getting an entire redo and facelift. 2.0 looks promising. I hope FFXIV thrives after 2.0 and never goes F2P. FFXI is about 10 years old, still maintains a sub and a healthy playerbase. So don't hold your breath on FFXIV. 

• CorresCorres Member Posts: 132
    it will hopfully never ever go f2p.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Corres
    it will hopfully never ever go f2p.

This.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Probably a few months after 2.0 when they realize it only got like 4000 people total to come back.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob
    Probably a few months after 2.0 when they realize it only got like 4000 people total to come back.

I wouldn't doubt it.  There are some big name titles being released, I doubt many players are going to return to a game that disappoined them once before.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Normally I would say you're right, like I doubt Vanguard will become a hot with f2p, however, SOE isn't revamping their entire game from the ground up, launching a marketing campaign, or allowing former players another entire month of free play.

People who were scorned by this game, myself included, will get the chance to see all the new 2.0 stuff for free and base their judgement on that.

All this new stuff coming out that you speak of is coming out during the summer and 2.0 is set to relaunch in the winter, so... They have a very good chance of drawing back a lot of the crowd who has become bored with the new stuff by then.

I think they actually have a chance at a successful relaunch, all things considered.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I don't think it will go f2p. It would be a smart move but the Japanese are old fashioned and consider this model a disgrace.

FFXI is still p2p and it's about 10 years old. 

Harbinger of Fools
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    SE is dead intent on keeping there FF MMO's P2P. Don't expect it anytime soon, if at all.
  • nagawaranagawara Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by squalleona

Everquest, D&D, LOTR.... are  F2P

even Star wars the old republic will be F2P in Fall,

so title say it all. they might even sell the crystal soon ^_^

the games u mention are craps 

and ff14 will RE launch so dont expect to go f2p at least a year

• nagawaranagawara Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Xzen

LOL so they go from b2p to p2p then f2p? I've never heard of this model before. My mind is blown.

it was p2p but the whole game was broken

they fired most of the dev team that worked on the game and brought a new team wich made version 2

new engine,new skills,more world,bosses,animation,U.I etc etc the whole thing 

they stoped charging ppl who bought the game till version 2 is out,or something like that

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

This thread is a blatant smack in the face to not only SE, but a sad representation to all developers of what the mmo player base has devolved into. Seriously gamers are always asking companies to just be upfront with them, dont wrap things in crafted pr. That is exactly what SE did, they admitted to there epic fk up, and told us they were gonna fix it. In the mean time the game was free to play no strings attached for a long while

They put a huge amount of effort into remaking there game. NO other studio has or ever will do this. It just shows how much SE really does care for its playerbase. If GW2 were to flop do you think arenanet would put the game back in development for 2years? Hell no.

I hope it never goes F2P. Instead of asking for all the work they put in for free you should be commending them for doing what we all asked for. Supporting these kinds of things in the mmo genre instead of hopping from trainwreck to trainwreck.

Show the studios that we want games with substance and effort put into them. And the rewards for that effort will come there way. Not a 1year p2p to f2p conversion crapfest.... (SWOTOR)

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by AliceKaye

F2P transitions notoriously blow. In fact, FFXIV is getting an entire redo and facelift. 2.0 looks promising. I hope FFXIV thrives after 2.0 and never goes F2P. FFXI is about 10 years old, still maintains a sub and a healthy playerbase. So don't hold your breath on FFXIV. 

Me too!

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

Square Enix cannot afford for FF14 to go F2P. As long as Wada is CEO there will be no real change in the way that FF games are being made regardless of what anyone says. He was in the lead before, and hes in the lead now. All FF's have been worse since he took over. 

Someone said no other company would do a restart on an mmo to make it succesful, however a company already did there name was GRAVITY. Ragnarok Online 2:Gate of the New World was scrapped due to fans not likeing it to make Ragnarok Online 2 Legend of the Second. 

Square Enix is no longer doing any large deveopments anymore and have already started to outsource to Asia. After thier 90% stock drop they can no longer afford to make mistakes, however fans have already been burned by Square Enix, and are unwilling to accept "Sprinkles" without tasting the ice cream anymore. 

With less then 22k active members around the world in nov of 2011, they need more then because it's ff its good.Source:http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/03/07/final-fantasy-xiv-player-populations-at-deaths-door/Square Enix to begin outsourcing: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/173093/Square_Enix_to_avoid_largescale_internal_development_after_Final_Fantasy_XIII2.php

The way Yoichi Wada has been doing games lately and thier stock still plumiting, and them no longer being able to develop larger games we just said goodbye pretty much to all our childhood favorites Fron Mission, FF, Chrono-series, Dq, Xeno-series,ect.

• beat_downbeat_down Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I don't think it will go f2p. It would be a smart move but the Japanese are old fashioned and consider this model a disgrace.

FFXI is still p2p and it's about 10 years old. 

This. They also hate cash shop. It is why I love SE and still have a FFXI account.

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

If it sticks to it's roots then FFXIV will be ok only if it can get a total of 100k total! It doesn't have to be wow to be successful! Some fans will play it soley because it's something different! 

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i dont usually diss on the FF games but seriously if it doesnt go free to play how many people are really going to play it come relaunch? This game is up there with sWTOR for largest mmo flop in history to the point they had to drop the sub fees for a very long time. Im sure some people will go back to check out 2.0 but seriously how many people do you really think are going to just rush back after they quit the game the first couple of months?
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

FFXIV is getting into excellent shape, the population is pretty healthy as it is.  FFXIV A Realm Reborn is very much anticipated by all, and will attract a lot of new players with the PS launch and probably will draw in a lot of new players on the pc version.

There are a considerable amount of players that have returned recently that was in the initial launch including myself, it has come a long way from what it was,  the excuse it was rubbish on launch so its going to be rubbish on relaunch is nothing but retarded nonsense.

As to going F2P, I very much doubt it, FFXI has never gone F2P even with a medeocre western market, so the thought of XIV going F2P has little chance, unless they change their marketing stance.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by cronius77
    i dont usually diss on the FF games but seriously if it doesnt go free to play how many people are really going to play it come relaunch? This game is up there with sWTOR for largest mmo flop in history to the point they had to drop the sub fees for a very long time. Im sure some people will go back to check out 2.0 but seriously how many people do you really think are going to just rush back after they quit the game the first couple of months?

Potentially, A lot of people.   FFXIV is unique for a variety of reasons.  It doesn't fit the "new mmo" mold where people play for a few months and then move on.  For one, it has a huge japanese playerbase just waiting for the PS3 release.  Japanese players prefer their gaming on consoles, not PC.  That is why a lot of Japanese players play FFXIV on the PC using a usb controller.

Second, unlike most mmos (if not all of them exept for FFXI), this will have a second launch on the consoles.  It remains to be seen if it will go to Xbox, but it is confirmed for PS3.  Many people can't afford $2000 PC to play this game on high settings, or any settings at all.  PS3 allows these people to play without spending extra money on a new computer.

Third, Final Fantasy is its own brand.  It's not that it caters to mmo players, but rather Final Fantasy fans.  There are a lot of FF fans whol will try this game having never played any other mmo, other than FFXI.

Fourth, many people, including me, automatically quit a game when it goes F2P.  I hate the model.  You end up paying more in the long run than just paying for a subscription.  I hate being nickle and dimed to death.  I quit LoTRO when it went free to play, I quit SWTOR.  The only exception is GW2 because the model is completely different.  I plan on playing both when Gw2 is released later this month.

Yoshi-P has already said that the subscription numbers have doubled since they introduced the legacy reward.  50k subscriber base is horrible in the grand scheme of things, but for those of us who have stayed along the way, WE LOVE WHAT YOSHI P has done thus far.  HE was given a shitty Crystals engine that is not for MMOS, he was given a shitty server structure with horrible coding and lag.  He was provided a game with antiquated concepts (fatigue, RNG xp, capp on leve quest allowances, etc etc).  And yet, people who play the game now absolutely love it.  

Imagin Yoshi-P being freed from the shackles imposed by Tanaka and FFXIV v. 1.0.  He now has a BRAND NEW ENGINE specifically built for an FF MMO.  HE gets brand new servers.  THe UI will be exactly like modern mmos (specifically close to WoW, as stated by Yoshi-P), and there will be way more content than what we had in 1.0.

If this game goes F2P, many of the FF fans will leave.  My 2 cents.

All of the new "AAA" games will have come out this summer. By the time 2.0 rears it's awesome face, people will be growing bored with the games that are currently out and will be willing to check out FFXIV 2.0 ARR.

Do I emphatically believe that a larger playerbase will be brought about by the relaunch of FFXIV 2.0, hell yes I do. Do I think it's the coming of Christ? No. I don't. But I do believe that the game will be an amazing change from what launch was and I think it's new style is sure to bring in a much larger playerbase, including those who left early on in 2010 after it's shotty release.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by AliceKaye

All of the new "AAA" games will have come out this summer. By the time 2.0 rears it's awesome face, people will be growing bored with the games that are currently out and will be willing to check out FFXIV 2.0 ARR.

Do I emphatically believe that a larger playerbase will be brought about by the relaunch of FFXIV 2.0, hell yes I do. Do I think it's the coming of Christ? No. I don't. But I do believe that the game will be an amazing change from what launch was and I think it's new style is sure to bring in a much larger playerbase, including those who left early on in 2010 after it's shotty release.

Read this with a pirate accent for bonus points.  I'm in that boat- excited and hopefully occupied with GW2 for a good while, but definitely checking out FFXIV 2.0 when it debuts.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

this game is kinda unique, has the FF feel to it also. 2.0 will be a great change (we'll be able to jump !) , i do believe in it !  

and for you guys that are interested in the game but are also waiting for 2.0, i recommend to buy the game right now ! get a box version, they are pretty cheap right now !

As for F2P, i'm not against it. But i'm willing to pay a sub if the game is good =) 

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I said this on my own forum but I'll repeat it here.

If 2.0 launches with a sub fee, it'll be a huge mistake.  I consider TERA a far superior product to XIV and even that is starting it's downward spiral in the west sub wise.  For XIV to be anything other than a niche MMO for the PS3 in the East, it'll have to evolve from it's old price model much like it's evolving from it's old UI/engine.

As I'm sure everyone is aware, FF MMO fans are a rare breed indeed.  They're willing to put up with almost anything, as long as it's not similar to WoW in any way.  This is also the mentality that will hurt the game as it's already hurt it since it's launch.

I fear XIV has spent the last 2 years playing catch-up with a genre that's completely different than it was a few years ago.  If 2.0 launches and we have nothing but a bunch of fed-ex quests and the same terrible combat, then the price model won't really mean a thing.  Time will tell.