Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which do you think is more Hard Core? TSW, GW2, WoW, Swtor?

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by bcbully

I see GW2 votes and WoW votes, but no whys image This is not what's your facorite game... Tell us why you think so.

I did, even though I didn't explicitely said which game I voted for... =P

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Naqaj

Whitout giving any idea of what "hardcore" is supposed to mean, how can anyone try to answer this question seriously?

The question was left broad on purpose. We know farmville is not hardcore. When know full loot perma death is extremely hard core. Use your on gauge.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

I see GW2 votes and WoW votes, but no whys image This is not what's your favorite game... Tell us why you think so.

I voted for WoW. Based on the one trial day I played WoW. Which started with "Your mother is a......" "Yeah, and your father is a..." in general chat and ended more or less the same when I left several hours later.

Like those two Asura kids in Rata Sum. Just more hard core but not so funny. ;)

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I dunno what exactly your definition of hardcore is. Difficulty? That's extremely subjective. I'll vote WoW since hard mode raiding is like a second job. Only a small percentage of the player base complete the top tier raid on its toughest setting. So WoW because its the most time consuming. Can't speak to hard mode dungeons in GW2 yet.
  • Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

None of the above.

Darkfall

/thread

Why Darkfall? Because it was FFA loot? FFA doesn't mean squat if gear is irrelevant. Everyone had a bank full of spare gear ready to equip on a minutes notice. I didn't play the game much but I'll bet 25 man hard mode Mimiron in WoW was way more hardcore then anything that's ever happened in DF. And I'm certainly no fan of WoW.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

The question was left broad on purpose. We know farmville is not hardcore. When know full loot perma death is extremely hard core. Use your on gauge.

Ok. Not sure if that makes the results usable in any way, but hey, it's your poll ;P

Chose TOR, reasoning: provides the least amount of variety for long-term play, hence requires a more hardcore attitude from the players

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Rohn

E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson are likely spinning in their respective graves at what RPGs have become (or, perhaps they're just hoping for someone to toss them a rez, since anyone can do it).

This is quite funny since it's Gygax in Dungeons and Dragons who kinda invented the "downed state" used in GW2.

Not even close.  D&D has/had permadeath (at least for any gaming group worth its salt).  Yes, death meant something.

Unless you're suggesting that a "downed" character in classic D&D could "fight for his life" (god, how ludicrous), and pop up good as new, fighting like a madman once again.

GW2 continues down the road of MMOs trivializing death to the point of being inconsequential.  Hell, death isn't even death anymore, just a brief "timeout" while a character inexplicably "fights for his life".  How contrived.  Not anything approximating hardcore, really.  Of course, most themeparks do trivialize death, and permadeath is a touchy subject, but some games make it more immersive than others.

I know it's a shocking concept, but death is generally something to be avoided.  Harder consequences for death in a game help make it more immersive.  TSW does this better than most games do these days.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Originally posted by Naqaj

Ok. Not sure if that makes the results usable in any way, but hey, it's your poll ;P

Chose TOR, reasoning: provides the least amount of variety for long-term play, hence requires a more hardcore attitude from the players

hah fair enough thank you for explaining why :)

P&P how I miss ye. Technically your group members could attempt to have a cleric raise you. It was an iffy proposition but sometimes led to interesting twists and adventures. Like the time we traveled to the fugue plain :P
    Originally posted by drakaena
    Why Darkfall? Because it was FFA loot? FFA doesn't mean squat if gear is irrelevant. Everyone had a bank full of spare gear ready to equip on a minutes notice. I didn't play the game much but I'll bet 25 man hard mode Mimiron in WoW was way more hardcore then anything that's ever happened in DF. And I'm certainly no fan of WoW.

Thats because it was too hardcore for you.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Exactly 4 MMOs that aim a non-hardcore playerbase. So your question is a little bit awkward.

What does the word 'hardcore' mean to you, dear op?

If hardcore means:

1. Raiding 24/7 to reach perfection with every boss-encounter - it is WoW

2. PvPing 24/7 to dominate WvW with your guild - it is GW2

3. Playing 24/7 to negate all rumours of failure of an MMO - SWTOR (just kidding)

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

Insta win bunny hop macros are definitely too hard core for me.
    delete
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

You can kill an opponent by hopping? Did I miss the launch of Super Mario MMO?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

From strictly a leveling up perspective in PVE, TSW is the most challenging between the 3 I have played, WOW and SWTOR being the other two.

From a PVP perspective, GW2 and its level setting of gear between players is probably the more challenging title, and from a raiding perspective, well, I never raided in SWTOR but I did in WOW and probably still feel they are tops in that category. (perhaps due to longevity)

I can't really use the term hardcore on any of these titles since there is no consequences to speak of (actual losses) in any of them.

I tend to apply that more to titles such as DF, MO, or EVE, (or heck EQ1 even)  where losing a fight means a signifcant loss of the player's progression, be it in terms of items, cash or lost exp.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

none of them are hardcore lol. get a grip...

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

none of them are really "hardcore". Closest is probably GW2 cause its got the best pvp and pvp is "hardcore"...

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Atlan99

Thats because it was too hardcore for you.

Doesn't even hold a candle to Darkfall.  Try fighting a non-scripted dragon in the water with your hard earned player made ship, then get attacked by a huge Kraaken.  Top it off by having enemy guilds attack you with all of this going on.  This has nothing to do with full loot, but if you want to go there I can.

People that are hardcore don't make excuses.

In Darkfall the people that make excuses are prey.

• ThububThubub Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Darkfall.  None of the above are hardcore.  Well, I guess you could say WoW if you are raiding every night...but that is pushing it.

Definitely this.  I remember being in guilds where guys talked about dropping out of college, ditching work, and pretty much pouring all their time into dueling just to get "good".  The time those guys put in was 60-80 hours a week or more.  That was the status quo for that game, not the outliers.  If you were a casual like me, you didn't really stand much chance in pvp.   None of those other games even come close to Darkfall.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Kyleran

From strictly a leveling up perspective in PVE, ...., WOW and SWTOR being the other two.

I've played SW:TOR, I still play WoW, but leveling up in GW2 is definitely more hardcore (hardcore being meant as "challenging" here) than those two. WoW leveling is pretty much facerolling your keyboard, and in SW:TOR, only a few fights in your personal story are remotely challenging. In GW2, beside the most easy mobs, if you just stand there half afk spamming your auto attack, you will die, you have to actively play the game.

Only commenting on the leveling part here of course.

And about TSW... I played it too, for a long time, in the closed beta (the one you could play all the time, not just during events). Leveling wasn't any harder than WoW or SW:TOR, combat is also facerolling your keyboard (any MMO veteran isn't afraid of "mob density", that doesn't make a game difficult, just more annoying to navigate through).

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• OrgoneOrgone Member Posts: 90

I don't post much on here, but calling a game hardcore is kind of losing the plot in my opinion.

Start of old man's gibbering....

Maybe it's just you youngsters with your back to front talk, you know, wikid = good, cool=hot etc. but every one of them is a game.

If you want a hardcore game, try something that involves more than pressing a few keys. Now I love mmo's , but they are not hardcore, games are not hardcore. They are trivial, enjoyable time sinks, same as tv, music, film etc.  Try and get some perspective back on life lads and lassies, eh.

End of old man's gibbering.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Kyleran

From strictly a leveling up perspective in PVE, ...., WOW and SWTOR being the other two.

I've played SW:TOR, I still play WoW, but leveling up in GW2 is definitely more hardcore (hardcore being meant as "challenging" here) than those two. WoW leveling is pretty much facerolling your keyboard, and in SW:TOR, only a few fights in your personal story are remotely challenging. In GW2, beside the most easy mobs, if you just stand there half afk spamming your auto attack, you will die, you have to actively play the game.

Only commenting on the leveling part here of course.

And about TSW... I played it too, for a long time, in the closed beta (the one you could play all the time, not just during events). Leveling wasn't any harder than WoW or SW:TOR, combat is also facerolling your keyboard (any MMO veteran isn't afraid of "mob density", that doesn't make a game difficult, just more annoying to navigate through).

After having played GW2, it probably has the easiest combat I've played in a long time, with some very easy mobs as well.  Generally speaking, TSW has tougher, more complex mobs to fight, and the skills a player selects has more bearing on combat effectiveness than in GW2.  It also has no auto-attack.

GW2's consequences for death, as previously stated, are also negligible, EZ-mode play.

Overall, TSW has more challenging mechanics, and is far less forgiving than GW2.

That doesn't even start to go into the difficulty of the missions themselves.  TSW often requires a lot of thinking, where in GW2, the player need only stumble around the world to be spoonfed quests in which "everyone's a winner".  Finding things like quest-givers and mailboxes apparently was just too hard.  GW2 continues the trend of dumbing down gameplay for the masses.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Originally posted by Orgone

I don't post much on here, but calling a game hardcore is kind of losing the plot in my opinion.

Start of old man's gibbering....

Maybe it's just you youngsters with your back to front talk, you know, wikid = good, cool=hot etc. but every one of them is a game.

If you want a hardcore game, try something that involves more than pressing a few keys. Now I love mmo's , but they are not hardcore, games are not hardcore. They are trivial, enjoyable time sinks, same as tv, music, film etc.  Try and get some perspective back on life lads and lassies, eh.

End of old man's gibbering.

Ok   image

5 more minutes just 5!