Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPGs and the Indie development

2»

Comments

• dna_mordna_mor Member Posts: 10
    Why the insistance on "AAA"? A "C-" indie MMO is better than no indie MMO... 
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Many people expects high quality graphics etc,something that product can give to them.

When i play paper and pen RPGs or live action, most important thing is what we can give to that game.

Something is wrong,but in indie world,Minecraft allready showed for the masses that impossible is possible.

So to me it seems like indie is the way to go,today.

Edit : mmmm EA indie game,well some impossible things should stay impossible.

Let's internet

Originally posted by ForumPvP

Is that regards to Orgin's service to publish indie games? 

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by dna_mor
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

Is that regards to Orgin's service to publish indie games? 

Do i mean that?no,i mean this business.

Board of Supervising Directors

Information on the current board of supervising directors

Gerhard Florin, Chairman of the Supervisory Board
    (born 1959, male, German, 1st term, member since 2011)
    Dr. Florin presently works as an independent contractor. In that capacity he currently serves as board member for: King.com based in London; InnoGames based in Hamburg; and Kobojo based in Paris. From 2006 to 2010 Dr. Florin served as an Executive Vice President and General Manager of International Publishing of Electronic Arts Inc., initially being responsible for the international publishing business of Electronic Arts and later for their worldwide publishing business, based in Geneva. From 2000 to 2006, Dr. Florin served as Senior Vice President, responsible for Electronic Arts’ European publishing business, based in London. From 1996 to 2000 he served as Vice President and General Manager for the German speaking region of Electronic Arts’ business, based in Colonge. Prior to joining Electronic Arts, he held various positions at BMG, the global music division of Bertelsmann AG, and served as a Consultant of McKinsey. Dr. Florin holds Master's and Ph.D. degrees in Economics from the University of Augsburg, Germany. Dr. Florin holds 100,000 share options in the company and 0 shares.

Michel Cassius,

(born 1957, male, French, 3nd term, member since 2006)
    Mr. Cassius is CEO of Gekko.com, a private internet company based in London. Mr Cassius is also co-founder and Director of YoYo Games Ltd, a startup company which launched www.yoyogames.com in 2007, a user generated casual gaming site. In the past, Mr. Cassius has served as the European Managing Director of Fun Technologies and as Senior Director of Microsoft's Xbox business in EMEA where he managed the publishing and Xbox Live businesses and launched the Xbox 360. He previously spent seven years at Electronic Arts, where he led EA.com, Electronic Art's online gaming business in Europe and launched Ultima Online, one of the first MMO's in Europe. Mr. Cassius holds 66,000 shares and 100,000 share options in the Company.

and thats funcom,do i want EA guys sitting on mmm for example Wollays board ,no i dont and i hope Wollay does not  like that idea either.

Let's internet

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    As a developer for an indie MMORTS, I think a 3D MMORPG is beyond the scope of almost all indie studios.  Each studio needs to focus on a project that is within their capabilities, and won't break the budget.  That's why I've chosen the social strategy genre.  It is mainly 2D graphics, with interaction with other players in strategizing, at its core.  I'm hoping it is a chord that strikes some, but I realize not all MMO players.  By keeping it small to begin with, it is both acheivable, and something that I hope to grow to a much bigger level, as it catches on.  I'm excited to see where it goes.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Nope for all their hopes and aspirations I have yet to see an Indie company produce anything wit hthe production quality of a AAA game studio.  This doesn't mean that some of their ideas arent valid or good but usually overall their games are pretty horrible.

I disagree. I find the products of the AAA companies horrible: mass-market appeal, streamlined, shallow, like convenience food. I always think they're made for the people that watch all these TV sitcoms, hehe.

Of course you can't have a small indie game with the production quality of an AAA company. Personally, I value the creativity and imagination of indie companies more - instead of playing themepark 284, no matter how popular said themepark might be.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

I was about to reference wikipedia about Funcom. I'm sure I've read that they'd been given a grant from the Norwegian gov't to produce games, but it doesn't say that in the wiki page. Maybe on their officail website? 

I'm not sure where, but I also read that Eve Oniine had been produced with gov't grants as well, but CCP isn't American. I know I looked it up because on the Eve Online credits they mention a Georgia studio. I looked up that Georgia studio (can't remember the exact name but it had Georgia in the name) and it said they'd had grants from that state's gov't. 

Sorry for the lack of credible evidence. :( 

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by worldalpha
    As a developer for an indie MMORTS, I think a 3D MMORPG is beyond the scope of almost all indie studios.  Each studio needs to focus on a project that is within their capabilities, and won't break the budget.  That's why I've chosen the social strategy genre.  It is mainly 2D graphics, with interaction with other players in strategizing, at its core.  I'm hoping it is a chord that strikes some, but I realize not all MMO players.  By keeping it small to begin with, it is both acheivable, and something that I hope to grow to a much bigger level, as it catches on.  I'm excited to see where it goes.

I disagree, an indie developer 'can' make a 3d MMORPG, he/she just needs to have a reasonable idea what they are doing.

15 years ago when I started as a mmo hobby programmer (I was inspired when UO came out), it was a pain to build things since it was relatively new medium.  I had to build everything from scratch.  My 2d blits in assembly, etc... Talk about tedious. Today, for the same amount of my time, I can make amazing things I could only dream of back then. 

Yes,  we have more mmo competition today, but I feel the ratio of players to mmo developers is the same as it was 15 years ago.   Why?  Because of the server side programming that MMOs require.  I bump into tons of 3d game makers but hardly any that know anything about network programming and optimization, server side AI/Pathfinding, database design, and just general software architecture.   "But I make a rad shader"... No offense, but thats a dime a dozen.

MMOs, at least on the development side, are still niche enough to compete.

Combine that with the huge influx of Mobile/Casual players that are aching for a mmo that fits their lifestyle, this is the time to build, build, and build.

I read about folks on this site's huge desire for Sandbox games all the time.  Play "Build my own MMO" game.  Its got a great skill tree.

-Blitz