Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Store items store exclusive?

azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Real question.

Just curious, the stuff in the store cant ever be looted from a mob / dungeon chest / w.e, right? You have to buy coins off of the auction house or pay real money?

Hoping this game works out, but therein lies the problem for me with shops. I like being able to "earn" everything in the game. I'm asking this realizing that, that is my personal choice, and I don't have to like every feature of every game =P .. disclaimers ftw? Seriously though .. can I at least earn enough money in game to buy anything on the store? If so .. at least there is that .. still would rather it dropped somewhere .. but I realize that would probably make it trivial or .. something.

/flame suite just in case (really not interested in a debate, would love an answer tho :) )

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Comments

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by azmundai

Real question.

Just curious, the stuff in the store cant ever be looted from a mob / dungeon chest / w.e, right? You have to buy coins off of the auction house or pay real money?

Hoping this game works out, but therein lies the problem for me with shops. I like being able to "earn" everything in the game. I'm asking this realizing that, that is my personal choice, and I don't have to like every feature of every game =P .. disclaimers ftw? Seriously though .. can I at least earn enough money in game to buy anything on the store? If so .. at least there is that .. still would rather it dropped somewhere .. but I realize that would probably make it trivial or .. something.

/flame suite just in case (really not interested in a debate, would love an answer tho :) )

You can buy the cash shop currency with in-game money

Mystic keys drop (can someone confirm)?

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Everything can be earned in-game by earning gold and trading it for gems.

Beyond that many cash shop items are available in game via drops and quest rewards.

• nyxxisnyxxis Member Posts: 62

First you can buy gems with in game currency and as far as I know you can also find keys in the world too. Just some of the cosmetic stuff is just cash shop, but again you can buy gems with in game money.

All Murlocs must die horrible, painful, bloody deaths!

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

you can exchange in game gold for gems to spend in the shop..since you earn that gold in game its not p2w.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Every time you complete a zone, you earn at least one reward from the cash shop. Also any time you open a mystic chest it will give you something from the shop as well. I am not sure if these ever award cosmetic items, but for those all you have to do is farm gold then sell it for cash shop currency. 

Everything in the store can be earned without spending real life money if you are willing/able to put the time into farming for it. 

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864
    Originally posted by Preacher26

Real question.

I don't see how this makes things better. You can buy cash shop currency in a number of F2P games. It doesn't solve anything. It depends on the price of cash shop currency for in game currency.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Tazlor

Real question.

I don't see how this makes things better. You can buy cash shop currency in a number of F2P games. It doesn't solve anything. It depends on the price of cash shop currency for in game currency.

because the money was accumulated inside the game and not from an outside source.

• MadKingMadKing Member UncommonPosts: 173

Some of the stuff in th CS are rare drops or rewards for completing Achievements. for instance I got a few mystic keys and mystic chest dropped killing random mobs and got a few of those XP/karma boost things out of them.  I also got a lot of 8 slot bags as rewards doing sPVP. and then there's the fact that you can buy gems with gold so it's possible to get anything from the cash shop without spending a cent more irl.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Real question.

Mystic keys to open mystic chests (which are full of useless crap anyway) drop in game, but seemingly at a lower rate than the chests.

There are items on the cash shop that will never drop in game. These are cosmetic items. You will never be at a disadvantage in game for not using the store, although they are there to make a sustained profit, so expect to see some cool looking armor in the store that is not available in game.

You can exchange in game money for gems using the games own controlled market. Makes it safer than dealing with 3rd parties for those who wish to engage in such behaviour (which happens in every single game anyway). You can always farm in game money to buy gems to buy the item, but someone somewhere will have to spend the money to get that item, there is no other way for new gems to enter the market other than for people to buy them off ArenaNet.

Based on previous experience with ArenaNet, you will not be able to simply buy prestige armor or weapon skins that are difficult to obtain in game. They like to have challenges available. The cosmetic items in the store will be completely seperate and distinct to those available in game. So players that work hard for difficult to obtain items will still have the prestige associated with that. This was the case in GW1 where the elite armor skins were a sign of a dedicated player.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Real question.

To the best of my knowledge, every single item available in the cash shop that is NOT a customer piece (like sungalasses or the like) can drop in game. Mystic chests and keys drop frequently (keys about half to 75% of the rate chests drop, but note that chests seem to have a high chance of rewarding you with..more keys). All booster items can be found in chests, or give as part of PS Quests, completion rewards, etc. Ditto for repai cans, bank access, blah blah...

In all honesty, you can get these items much faster and easier by paying for them, but none of them are needed to make the game playable or fun, and you'll still get a decent amount just by playing. Just don't expect to be rolling around with  xp boosters on 24/7.

Oh wait...account-based things like bank slots and character slots also cash shop only, of course.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

This game isn't really p2w it's p2havecoolhat

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

The only items that are exclusive to the cash shop are the costume pieces, like the top hat and the pirate outfit and various account services, like character transfers, bank slot and character slot expansions, etc.

Keep in mind that you can trade in-game gold for gems, meaning that technically you can purchase anything in the cash shop with gold.

Besides that, most of the stuff in the cash shop is not vital in order to play the game. Unless you simply cannot enjoy yourself without that top hat. To which I will say "I know that feel, bro."

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Also the exp boosters are the biggest waste ever atm since they only work on exp gained from killing mobs which isn't exactly a prime source of exp in this game.

• Serin101Serin101 Member Posts: 103

I know for sure that completing a Main City map gives you 3 transmutation stones regardless of the city.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

thanks, and im referring almost entirely to cosmetic items. I dont need xp pots. though I have used them in VG when they were given as loyalty rewards .. but I wouldnt waste real or fake money on xp pots. even in VG i used it mostly for diplo .. since all that is, is a grind after a certain point.

id prefer that they at least have a small chance of dropping off of specific bosses or something, farming cash isnt much fun .. but at least there is an alternative.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by Serin101

I know for sure that completing a Main City map gives you 3 transmutation stones regardless of the city.

this isnt entirely accurate, you get random items and sometimes its stones, other times its a perfect salv kit or key.. or both. I have completed cities in all three beta events but this holds true for the last 2.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

thanks, and im referring almost entirely to cosmetic items. I dont need xp pots. though I have used them in VG when they were given as loyalty rewards .. but I wouldnt waste real or fake money on xp pots. even in VG i used it mostly for diplo .. since all that is, is a grind after a certain point.

id prefer that they at least have a small chance of dropping off of specific bosses or something, farming cash isnt much fun .. but at least there is an alternative.

no cosmetic items are only from the shop, if you want them you can buy gems with in game gold if you do not want to spend IRL cash. I actually prefer this. However some of the awesome armor sets are only available from karma or token? vendors(the ones for the explorable dungeons)

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Real question.

Mystic keys drop (can someone confirm)?

During beta indeed mystic keys also dropped, and although the droprate will obviously be very low if also in the live version, at some point during BWE2 I had more keys than boxes.

Cosmetic items and miniatures are store exclusive items I can think of right now.

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

From what I've experienced you can get some cash shop items as drops as well as rewards.
    Also you're not paying a subscription so some of that money you used for a sub previously in other games you can choose to use for cash shop items. I plan on at least getting an extra character slot, bag and bank extensions.