Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It happened....SWTOR going F2P this fall!

Comments

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

I am not surprised that SWTOR would attempt to go F2P. I doubt anyone really is outside the die hard fans. The problem is that the game was not designed with the types of features or content needed to maintain a long term committed player base that will subscribe long or even desire to stick around and play after finishing a story line. The promises of new content every six weeks reads well upon virtual web pages but I honestly doubt they can sustain that long term.

It is stated by the development team that they have been looking at the Turbine and SOE models. When one considers a game like LOTRO in comparison, it has several features built in to keep a target community playing and doing so together. Guild housing and guild neighborhoods, useful end game crafting that requires items from others on occasion, skirmishes (like little 1 to 3 man raids) to engage in while awaiting larger runs, even fishing and options to write and play your own music with friends.

What does SWTRO have outside of a single player story they are now giving away for free? You might sub a month for quest content, their limited if sometimes fun when leveling PVP, maybe a solo space combat romp or two, but after that? There is nothing much less anything to encourage you to need or want other people or stick around longer than a month. I am afraid they will end up with a more SOE like model as a result and may start selling PVP gear high end as a “convenience” feature to avoid grind...

Outside of an initial burst, I personally just do not see F2P as being enough to “save SWTOR” or keep it a major player in the MMORPG industry long term. It will hang on though, as a once in a blue moon theme park ride with fewer consistant players than SWG had if a larger body in total. I don’t take any pleasure in that conclusion. I don’t like what I think this will mean for future games. I am disappointed in EA Bioware for this mess. And on a personal note, I hate their male counsular costume skirts. Next time, GIVE ME PANTS and I might sub longer. :P

Why is it I think that this does not bode well for TESO...

Yeah, in 6 months there will be more discussions about why the game isn't bringing in money.

The best this thing could do is stabilize revenues so it's no longer bleeding profusely.  Yet it's like the governments bailing out of GM. Once we accept that we are never ever ever getting that money back, we can move on.

TOR won't be recouping their initial spending binge.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by BrightestDay
    Originally posted by pharazonic Called it when this game was in beta. Feels good to be right.    Edit: ROFL they couldn't even make a year! Even Age of Conan lasted longer. I wonder where the yes-men are now... although I could name each one of them, I won't. You know who you are. 

Ahem, i think you are remembering things differently from how they happened.

nice

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by pharazonic

Called it when this game was in beta. Feels good to be right. 

Edit: ROFL they couldn't even make a year! Even Age of Conan lasted longer. I wonder where the yes-men are now... although I could name each one of them, I won't. You know who you are. 

Apparently not, no one's announced their one year anniversary or anything and even the F2P conversion is schedule long before december so.....what are we remembering again?

simpl put, the qouted poster has claimed to have called that the game would be going F2P yet the linked topic shows him vehemently denying the possibility of it going F2P.

I guess you and I have different opinions on "F2P". 

That said, I'm willing to settle on "SWTOR has failed spectacularly and I called it". 

This was the game that was supposed to go head to head against Blizzard's juggernaught, WoW. Guess which game is still in the arena, at a subscription model for the forseeable future with a major expansion on the way.

I rest my case :)

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123

sad thing is, i still wouldnt try it

• ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107

Damn lol Aion lasted over 2 years in the west before it went F2P, even Lineage 2 lasted longer.

Warhammer still going and SWG lasted about 8 years. What the %$^& Beaware?

Even RF-Online lasted longer and that game had like Zero quest back in the day when Codemasters was in charge. All it had was the 3 faction pvp which was pretty fun but damn.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Edit: ROFL they couldn't even make a year! Even Age of Conan lasted longer. I wonder where the yes-men are now... although I could name each one of them, I won't. You know who you are. 

Apparently not, no one's announced their one year anniversary or anything and even the F2P conversion is schedule long before december so.....what are we remembering again?

simpl put, the qouted poster has claimed to have called that the game would be going F2P yet the linked topic shows him vehemently denying the possibility of it going F2P.

Ahh that explains it, it wasn't that you were saying he should remember the game not being a year old before going F2P but that he claimed the opposite, one of those sneaky fanboys trying to be on the side that's correct apparently, good catch.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

It seems SWTOR has taken forum PVP to new levels not seen outside of EVE Online. However, I would like to encourage some of you. After all, this conflict has brought you more satisfaction than paying your subscription fee to EA ever did...  ;)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I still chuckle about fan predictions of 10 million subs the first year.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Got_Game_TVGot_Game_TV Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by XAPGames

I still chuckle about fan predictions of 10 million subs the first year.

This.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

http://www.swtor.com/free

Looks good IMO.  Haters gonna' hate, but this is where the market is.  Look at League of Legends.

Well done. Nice attempt to put a brave face on it.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

I think the jokes going to be on the people who think its going to be a free game when they learn they have to pay to play most of it.

I actually love it when the people celebrating games going free as some sort of moral victory are a month later crying that they are expected to actually pay to continue playing.

This pretty much means i never come back though, as bad as the fatman community was, loading it up with the global free community is going to make it unplayable for me..thought i could manage playing aion right before it went free and the community turned to trash overnight.

I wish it luck though.

Also...its not really free if they charge for any content is it? pay per content?

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by Kuppa

hmmm seems pretty....limited

Subscribers can now post 50 listings on GTN? haha!

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

The above post highlights my point on my other post above it.

Bad community plus the games not free....yikes .... no operations...lol sucks for the freeloaders!

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by jeremyjodes
    Originally posted by Kuppa

hmmm seems pretty....limited

Subscribers can now post 50 listings on GTN? haha!

SWTOR always had that limit .. 50 per character that is.  Very limited as it was, since WoW didn't have a limit, or at lest not one I discovered ... if it did have one, it was over 2000 simultaneous auctions.

With SWTOR though, the interface was so bad that putting 50 items up was a not-so-fun experience.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by BigRock411

...Also...its not really free if they charge for any content is it? pay per content?

Industry could learn a lot from a good hooker that way.

Ahh that explains it, it wasn't that you were saying he should remember the game not being a year old before going F2P but that he claimed the opposite, one of those sneaky fanboys trying to be on the side that's correct apparently, good catch.

LOL I am the last incarnation of SWTOR fanboy. IIRC you were quite the Bioware fanboy no? 

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by iceman00

Yeah, in 6 months there will be more discussions about why the game isn't bringing in money.

The best this thing could do is stabilize revenues so it's no longer bleeding profusely.  Yet it's like the governments bailing out of GM. Once we accept that we are never ever ever getting that money back, we can move on.

TOR won't be recouping their initial spending binge.

SWtOR will never get that money back, BUT Not sure what hole you live in but GM paid that money back with interest.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

"You’ve never heard of Star Wars: The Old Republic? … It’s the MMO that made the Sub to F2P run in less than 12 parsecs."

This is just too funny.    image

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

I suddenly feel vindicated for all the infractions I recieved on the SWTOR forums pre beta for simply pointing out the games flaws. All the fanbois who were allowed to trash those forums with fanboi rage, Lethality, Skywauker have been proven wrong. All of those constructive  threads Donna Prior and that horrible moderation team deleted about adding something new to grinding mechanics, crafting and economy, how to implement space travel, ideas players wanted, well you can see all those ideas in action in GW2. But it is like you raiders kept saying, TOR is your game, enjoy.

Originally posted by Sleepyfish

I suddenly feel vindicated for all the infractions I recieved on the SWTOR forums pre beta for simply pointing out the games flaws. All the fanbois who were allowed to trash those forums with fanboi rage, Lethality, Skywauker have been proven wrong. All of those constructive  threads Donna Prior and that horrible moderation team deleted about adding something new to grinding mechanics, crafting and economy, how to implement space travel, ideas players wanted, well you can see all those ideas in action in GW2. But it is like you raiders kept saying, TOR is your game, enjoy.

If I could "Like" this post, I would. 

Originally posted by Sleepyfish

Me too, mate, me too. And on mmorpg.com too.

But wait! Where is MMOmaverick? Where is now when we need him the most to explain why this game isn'[t dying and, in fact, is going from strength to strength?

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by noncley

But wait! Where is MMOmaverick? Where is now when we need him the most to explain why this game isn'[t dying and, in fact, is going from strength to strength?

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

I remember reading the article here by Mike B and wondering how they would implement F2P, as the main issue for me was how they had designed the game - F2P didn't seem to "fit" their model. I think it's the only decision they could make, and tbh, I'm surprised Lucas Arts were ok with it.

I think this was inevitable, and it's only suprising how soon it happened...or maybe not, since the earnings call a few months back where EA made it clear that SWTOR wasn't a priority. Back-pedalling and saying it'll be around for a decade could never override the original comment. 

Remains to be seen how successful their model will be, those restrictions are pretty stark, but I guess that's the reality of F2P...

Any way you look at it, it'll be an interesting few months with GW2 and MoP on the horizon. The oboards are entertaining as all heck this morning. There's a riot going on over there. I'm calling it one of the benefits of being subbed til year's end, watching the drama unfold. image

• papaz1papaz1 Member Posts: 27

Why does this happen to every MMO.

Every MMO after WoW have sucked big time. Do the devs play WoW? Do they really think their MMO is on par with WoW?

Stop telling the fans how they should enjoy your games and stop telling us that we shouldn't compare it to WoW. We do, we will always do that, you know why? Because WoW fucking ROCKS!

I'm glad SWTOR bites the dust. They created a WoW clone with a new (worse) skin and expected us to buy into this crap.